HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Prospect Talk PART V

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 02:30 PM
islandermaniac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
he hasn't done anything in this tournament but I think he's going to be a star. This is a tough tournament for a draft-eligible player especially, even Stamkos and Tavares did very little when they played at 17.
just wanted to comment out of respect for the accomplishments of john tavares at the world junior championships...

he posted 4 goals with 1 assist for 5 points in 7 games as a 17 year old. i saw every game of that tourney and jt was used exclusively on the pp. that's excellent production for a kid TWO years before his draft year.

as an 18 year old, he put up a gawdy 8 goals, 7 assists, for 15 points in 6 games.

what is so incredible about his production is that this was done PRE DRAFT. a kid like strome didn't even make the team until he had already been drafted. in no way at all is that a slight against strome. that's just showing how unreal john tavares was at world junior championships.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:41 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
just wanted to comment out of respect for the accomplishments of john tavares at the world junior championships...

he posted 4 goals with 1 assist for 5 points in 7 games as a 17 year old. i saw every game of that tourney and jt was used exclusively on the pp. that's excellent production for a kid TWO years before his draft year.

as an 18 year old, he put up a gawdy 8 goals, 7 assists, for 15 points in 6 games.

what is so incredible about his production is that this was done PRE DRAFT. a kid like strome didn't even make the team until he had already been drafted. in no way at all is that a slight against strome. that's just showing how unreal john tavares was at world junior championships.
JT is a WJHC legend, imagine if he got to go to the WJHC a year AFTER his rookie NHL season ? He's hold a ton of WJHC records.. It's amazing that this kid has been in the limelight for almost 1/3 of his life (since age 14), and he's only 22.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:55 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I can't help thinking of Tim Connolly when I see Strome. 5th overall picks by the Isles, similar build, similar style of play, sweet hands, offensive dynamos. What a shame that we Bailey'd Tim back in the day.

Thankfully, Stome has been treated with kid gloves by the Isles so far and that makes me very happy. I hope it continues and he's left in Junior even if there is a season. Let him get accustomed to the pro game in Bridgeport next year and he could be that dynamic #2C that this team has needed in 2014-2015... what Connolly was supposed to be in 1999 - minus the injuries.
I'm pretty sure Strome will be wearing an Isles' sweater in 2013-14. (mod edit)

Last edited by Isles Junkie: 12-28-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: don't bet body parts
Old
12-28-2012, 03:59 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I hope MacKinnon falls in the draft, right to the Islanders
I watch MacKinnon play live often here in Halifax. He will not be falling.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:18 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I can't help thinking of Tim Connolly when I see Strome. 5th overall picks by the Isles, similar build, similar style of play, sweet hands, offensive dynamos. What a shame that we Bailey'd Tim back in the day.

Thankfully, Stome has been treated with kid gloves by the Isles so far and that makes me very happy. I hope it continues and he's left in Junior even if there is a season. Let him get accustomed to the pro game in Bridgeport next year and he could be that dynamic #2C that this team has needed in 2014-2015... what Connolly was supposed to be in 1999 - minus the injuries.
I think 18 yr old Connolly was asked to be the isles first line center, right out the gate. Strome won't have that responsibility because the isles have Tavares in that role. There's a lot less pressure on Strome imo.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:35 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I think 18 yr old Connolly was asked to be the isles first line center, right out the gate. Strome won't have that responsibility because the isles have Tavares in that role. There's a lot less pressure on Strome imo.
From what I am seeing of Nelson and Sundstrom, those two are odds on as 2nd & 3rd line center. Strome will be a top 6 winger.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:08 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Look at these 11 D prospects... Pretty damn good!! I don't know if I agree with the rankings by hockeysfuture, but nonetheless, our prospects are looking good!! As far as the hf rankings, I definitely don't see Matt Donovan being 9 spots ahead of Robbie Russo. What is that based on, age and NHL readiness? I actually think Russo projects better than Donovan... But anyway, I like the mix of size, skill, toughness and leadership....... Now if we could just land Seth Jones, the rebuild would be complete!!

hf rankings:
1. Griffin Reinhart CHL 8.0 C
2. Matt Donovan Pro 7.0 B
3. Ville Pokka Europe 7.0 C
4. Scott Mayfield NCAA 7.0 C
5. Calvin de Haan Pro 7.0 C
6. Brenden Kichton CHL 7.0 D
7. Aaron Ness Pro 7.0 D
8. Andrey Pedan CHL 7.0 D
9. Adam Pelech CHL 7.0 D
10. Robbie Russo NCAA 6.5 C

My rankings (which are worthless):

1. Griffin Reinhart
2. Scott Mayfield
3. Andrey Pedan
4. Calvin de Haan
5. Adam Pelech
6. Robbie Russo
7. Matt Donovan
8. Ville Pokka
9. Brenden Kichton
10 Aaron Ness

Very very close as far as upside and potential.... I don't see any of them being ready until 2014/2015.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Hipster Doofus

Donovan will be ready for next year, atleast in a PP role.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:47 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Anyone want to watch Adam Pelech tonight, goto OHL.neulion.com, sign up and enter OHLFree2012 for the promo code and you can watch for free.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:41 PM
JKP

Watching Mooseheads play Cape Breton... Looks like Leduc just screwed up his knee... pretty ugly fall. Being helped off ice by two players with no weight on his hurt leg...

Old
12-28-2012, 08:10 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Watching Mooseheads play Cape Breton... Looks like Leduc just screwed up his knee... pretty ugly fall. Being helped off ice by two players with no weight on his hurt leg...
I feel bad for the kid, never like to see that happen but honestly this impacts the Islanders none. He is not an NHL defenceman, and wont be unless he re-invents himself and develops a few skills that he doesn't yet have. He's probably dead last on the organizational depth chart for defenceman.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Degeneration Rex

Friday

Halifax 4, Cape Breton 1-Leduc, -1 before injury.
Owen Sound 6, Erie 1-Pelech, even.
Belleville 6, Guelph 3-Pedan, 1 assist, -2.
Niagara 4, Sudbury 3 (OT)-Graham, 1 goal (2), 2 assist, even, Theoret, 1 assist, even.
Spokane 1, Kootenay 0-Kichton, even.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 12-28-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old
12-29-2012, 12:53 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Strome IMO needs to work on his battle level, he obviously has a good wrist shot and is a good skater but like many young skilled players they don't like to get their noses dirty.

12-29-2012, 06:13 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Strome IMO needs to work on his battle level, he obviously has a good wrist shot and is a good skater but like many young skilled players they don't like to get their noses dirty.

You're not entirely wrong, but I think his biggest issue is his strength and slight frame. There were times in yesterdays game (and all of his games) where he does finish his checks and does battle for pucks (he actually caused a few turnovers along the board where he was battling yesterday) but his slight build doesn't allow him to be as effective as he could be, also doesn't scare anyone or make them brace for the hit. I would have no problem going in the corner and having to battle Ryan Strome for a puck, wouldn't scare me at all, I would however think twice about going for a loose puck or carrying the puck up ice if say Brett Ritchie had a head a steam and was after me.

Speaking of Ritchie, it's clear he is a big reason why Strome is enjoying the level of success that he currently is in Juniors. I hope the Isles are smart enough to realize that putting a skilled winger with size next to Strome at the NHL level will be almost a necessity and something not to be taken lightly.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Hes not supposed to engage guys physically. If hes sitting around the net and challenging guys physically hes not playing his game.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:06 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
You're not entirely wrong, but I think his biggest issue is his strength and slight frame. There were times in yesterdays game (and all of his games) where he does finish his checks and does battle for pucks (he actually caused a few turnovers along the board where he was battling yesterday) but his slight build doesn't allow him to be as effective as he could be, also doesn't scare anyone or make them brace for the hit. I would have no problem going in the corner and having to battle Ryan Strome for a puck, wouldn't scare me at all, I would however think twice about going for a loose puck or carrying the puck up ice if say Brett Ritchie had a head a steam and was after me.

Speaking of Ritchie, it's clear he is a big reason why Strome is enjoying the level of success that he currently is in Juniors. I hope the Isles are smart enough to realize that putting a skilled winger with size next to Strome at the NHL level will be almost a necessity and something not to be taken lightly.
The name that pops out at me is Nino for the reasons you mentioned. I remember them looking good together in the rookie camp after Strome was drafted. In terms of skill set and style of play, a Strome and Nino combination makes a lot of sense to me.

As for his battle level, not too concerned. Physical maturity should take care of that like you posted. Besides, I wouldn't want Strome to be the grinder on his line - sandwich him between two big wingers and he'll take care of business. He is a feisty kid though, I do like that.

I will say that I'm pleased with his skating in this tourney so far. He is noticeably quicker and it looks like he's added a little more giddy up in his stride than when I've seen him in the past. He'll never be a speedster, but it shouldn't hold him back at the NHL level. Isles fans should send Dawn Braid a Thank You card for her work with our Dungeon boys.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Okay to clear a few things up.... I just watched the Canada-Slovokia game.

1) Stromes Penalty was with almost 10 min left in the game, he came back out with 8 minutes to go in the game. He stayed out there after a play stoppage finished his shift by winning a faceoff and that was the last time he was on the ice (with over 7 minutes to go)

2)RNH had 3 more shifts after that (7 minutes, 4 plus minutes, and 2 minutes to go)

3) Strome also got skipped earlier in the game imediately after his first tripping penalty (he missed 1 shift)

4) Whoever said Strome left them wanting more, has incredibly high expectations, to be honest, he probably was the games MVP and would have been named that had he not taken a couple of dumb penalties. He did not play mistake free, but he played in all situations, and played hard in all three zones. He also won 11 of the 14 face-offs he took (by my count). He was responsible for 2 takeaways and caused another turnover. He only turned the puck over once on a cycle in the corner that Douin didnt get to. I thought he played not good, BUT GREAT on the PK. Again, Not a mistake free game.... but almost.

Watch the replay if you can Islander fans, you will like what you see. And now you know you dont need to watch the last 8 minutes
That was me, with the puck he's great but he really does leave me wanting more in is game without the puck. He gives me the impression that he's floating just waiting for his next chance to happen instead of hustling and make things happen for himself. I'm probably over analyzing him but that's the way it looks for me.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:24 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Look at these 11 D prospects... Pretty damn good!! I don't know if I agree with the rankings by hockeysfuture, but nonetheless, our prospects are looking good!! As far as the hf rankings, I definitely don't see Matt Donovan being 9 spots ahead of Robbie Russo. What is that based on, age and NHL readiness? I actually think Russo projects better than Donovan... But anyway, I like the mix of size, skill, toughness and leadership....... Now if we could just land Seth Jones, the rebuild would be complete!!

hf rankings:
1. Griffin Reinhart CHL 8.0 C
2. Matt Donovan Pro 7.0 B
3. Ville Pokka Europe 7.0 C
4. Scott Mayfield NCAA 7.0 C
5. Calvin de Haan Pro 7.0 C
6. Brenden Kichton CHL 7.0 D
7. Aaron Ness Pro 7.0 D
8. Andrey Pedan CHL 7.0 D
9. Adam Pelech CHL 7.0 D
10. Robbie Russo NCAA 6.5 C

My rankings (which are worthless):

1. Griffin Reinhart
2. Scott Mayfield
3. Andrey Pedan
4. Calvin de Haan
5. Adam Pelech
6. Robbie Russo
7. Matt Donovan
8. Ville Pokka
9. Brenden Kichton
10 Aaron Ness

Very very close as far as upside and potential.... I don't see any of them being ready until 2014/2015.
A couple of things with your list: I think Pedan gets overrated around here. I think he's a solid prospect, but IMO he should not be above guys like CDH, Donovan and Pokka. I would probably put Pelech ahead of him too, but IMO all three of Pelech, Pedan and Kichton are pretty close.

I also would put Donovan and Pokka up over Pelech and Russo, and probably swap Kichton and Russo. I agree with CDH over Matty D, though. CDH gets a bit underrated due to the constant injuries. The guy is good, and IMO will be a solid top-4 when healthy. Maybe even 1st pairing. So my list would probably end up being:

1. Reinhart
2. CDH
3. Mayfield
4. Donovan
5. Pokka
6. Pelech
7. Pedan
8. Kichton
9. Russo
10. Ness

IMO, that is a great group. Every one of those guys could become NHL regulars in some capacity. Even Ness, who could end up being a #5-6/PPQB once he gets a little more offensive confidence.

Quote:
The name that pops out at me is Nino for the reasons you mentioned. I remember them looking good together in the rookie camp after Strome was drafted. In terms of skill set and style of play, a Strome and Nino combination makes a lot of sense to me.

As for his battle level, not too concerned. Physical maturity should take care of that like you posted. Besides, I wouldn't want Strome to be the grinder on his line - sandwich him between two big wingers and he'll take care of business. He is a feisty kid though, I do like that.

I will say that I'm pleased with his skating in this tourney so far. He is noticeably quicker and it looks like he's added a little more giddy up in his stride than when I've seen him in the past. He'll never be a speedster, but it shouldn't hold him back at the NHL level. Isles fans should send Dawn Braid a Thank You card for her work with our Dungeon boys.
I wouldn't mind that combo. Although I think a Strome-Okposo combo would work just as well. I would like to keep Bailey and KO together, since Bailey's always played his best hockey when on a line with KO. Stick Strome in between those guys and you could have the makings of a top-notch 2nd line. Nino would then probably get a shot at the top line, or the 3rd line with Nielsen and Grabner if a 1st line RW is brought in via UFA/trade.

Either way, I really like the makings of this forward group. Things are really starting to take shape.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:22 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
That was me, with the puck he's great but he really does leave me wanting more in is game without the puck. He gives me the impression that he's floating just waiting for his next chance to happen instead of hustling and make things happen for himself. I'm probably over analyzing him but that's the way it looks for me.
Bravo.....this is what the "let the kids play" crowd ignores. 90% of hockey is what gets done when you don't have the puck!

Again, Nino looked awful. Tavares' greatest improvements have been and continue to be what he does when he doesn't have the puck. Bailey's best is what we see without the puck on his stick. Moulson could hit more but his best is when he does not have the puck (but will shortly around the slot). Okposo needs to improve that game. Nino looked AWFUL without the puck (I repeat, yes, to ensure people know he has to say down if we resume hockey!). Jonsson was DYNAMIC without the puck as he was ALWAYS in the right spot.

It's a game of chess that makes a player good. Being where you need to be to strike (whether a defensive or offensive play).

So pay attention to Strome's game when he isn't setting up shop or getting a shot off.

And be PATIENT so as to get the BEST out of all the prospects we all are relying heavily on!

Old
12-29-2012, 07:09 PM
InformTheMasses

yeesh. I ISO'd Strome against Slovokia, because I watched it on delay and knew he scored two goals and heard on the board that he 'floated'. Not only is he great with the puck, he is equally as good without it (again not perfect but very good in all zones).

Some where down below I mention that he kills an extra 15 seconds on PK as lone forechecker. That sentence alone does not do it justice. He forced their PP to Send two men back in the zone and had to reverse directions on their clearing attempts 3 times, simply by skating in their skating/passing lanes. This is what some people think is free skating, and it's far from it, it's an art and not easy to do. I suspect He is on the PK not because he is a 'floater' but because he can cause turnovers and is very adept to blocking passing/shooting/skating lanes. Team Canada does not put 'floaters' on their Penalty Kill Units. Look, this is an art that many players don't even understand, so I don't expect many fans to see it or be aware of it and I'm sure it's lost on a lot of fans. But while you think he is floating and free-skating I understand play without the puck very well and know exactly why Strome is used as a penalty killer.

That said, this was against Slovakia, lets see what he has against a bigger, stronger, faster Team USA tomorrow morning, I'll be watching.

Here's Stromes game:

Wins Faceoff
Skates with speed into offensive zone, tries to block pass that gets through cleanly to neutral zone (does not initiate contact/finish check)

Wins faceoff.
Allows puck to get to blueline (missed puck on swipe) passing lane, allowed dman to make clean pass deeper in zone, leads to goal

Wins Faceoff
Wins Faceoff
Enters offensive zone/ settles on sidewall/ centers hard pass on tape to Druin

Losses FO
Works side wall with passes to point and down low

Finishes check in corner in offensive zone
Centering pass blocked and cleared

Skates puck to O end on PK, goes for change

Wins Faceoff
Good hands on sidewall (halfway)

SH Strome after missing a steal attempt and allowing puck to dman on boards, gets a takeaway and hits Rattie on tape, follows play creates 2 on 2, his shot is blocked. works puck to crease and forces Slovakia Goalie to cover on their own PP.

strong forecheck/pressure on kill.

Losses Faceoff

Losses faceoff
Takeaway and lead pass

collects loose puck in corner, curls high, scores top left corner ES wrist shot

Strong on tape pass centering

Strong fore-check deep on PK, killed extra 15 seconds with strome as lone forechecker.
Causes turnover on PK

Takes tripping penalty leads to 2 man advantage and goal scored against.

Wins Faceoff on PP
more good passes, redirect on shot misses net

Wins faceoff
strome good feed to hamilton who missed net

Wins faceoff
puck hops off stick
good back check, hurries a shot

Wins faceoff
giveaway

Scores goal on breakaway

WINS faceoff
takes tripping penalty

Won faceoff

Old
12-29-2012, 07:29 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Bravo.....this is what the "let the kids play" crowd ignores. 90% of hockey is what gets done when you don't have the puck!

Again, Nino looked awful. Tavares' greatest improvements have been and continue to be what he does when he doesn't have the puck. Bailey's best is what we see without the puck on his stick. Moulson could hit more but his best is when he does not have the puck (but will shortly around the slot). Okposo needs to improve that game. Nino looked AWFUL without the puck (I repeat, yes, to ensure people know he has to say down if we resume hockey!). Jonsson was DYNAMIC without the puck as he was ALWAYS in the right spot.

It's a game of chess that makes a player good. Being where you need to be to strike (whether a defensive or offensive play).

So pay attention to Strome's game when he isn't setting up shop or getting a shot off.

And be PATIENT so as to get the BEST out of all the prospects we all are relying heavily on!
I don't have a problem with patience, but I have a problem with saying "you can't make this team because you are X years of age, no matter how you play in training camp." I don't know if that is actually your opinion, but from your posts that is the impression I get. If a kid like Nino or Strome or even Reinhart come into Isles camp and prove to be not only ready for the NHL but superior to our other options, I would personally be pissed if the Isles send them back to the Bridge or to Junior Hockey without at least giving them the 9-game regular season tryout.

Not every prospect needs 4 years of post-draft development before making it to the NHL. In fact, most highly drafted prospects take one or two. Assuming one or even all of these guys make the team next year, it wouldn't exactly be very rare(as far as the rest of the league is concerned).

Old
12-29-2012, 07:49 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Anybody want to feel really old?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZdQHxa5btU

I'm pretty sure Dougie Hamilton and Frank Corrado are also in this video. This was 9 years ago.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:57 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Anybody want to feel really old?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZdQHxa5btU

I'm pretty sure Dougie Hamilton and Frank Corrado are also in this video. This was 9 years ago.
WOW. That was awesome! I see it now though, Strome definitely floats.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:13 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I don't have a problem with patience, but I have a problem with saying "you can't make this team because you are X years of age, no matter how you play in training camp." I don't know if that is actually your opinion, but from your posts that is the impression I get. If a kid like Nino or Strome or even Reinhart come into Isles camp and prove to be not only ready for the NHL but superior to our other options, I would personally be pissed if the Isles send them back to the Bridge or to Junior Hockey without at least giving them the 9-game regular season tryout.

Not every prospect needs 4 years of post-draft development before making it to the NHL. In fact, most highly drafted prospects take one or two. Assuming one or even all of these guys make the team next year, it wouldn't exactly be very rare(as far as the rest of the league is concerned).
I think Tavares was perfect because HE WAS READY. I think Nino was too young in age and in talent. Now...

If Nino or Strome was superior to our other options....this is the gist of my opinion:

Do you promote them and not develop them because Snow was asleep at te wheel or.....do you get other bodies and make DEVELOPING THEM TO THEIR POTENTIAL your priority?

Rick wasn't better than Osgood and Snow, but we traded Osgood so he became our second best goalie option. Wise? Hell no. He wasn't ready. So if Nino is promoted because we didn't have someone as good as Reasoner......bad move. And it showed.

I'd rather wait watching Pandolfo than risk Nino not becoming a big lugging ace first line winger. So no, rookies sit until they're the better option on the ice and they are ready.

Now do I make myself clearer? Age would relate to on and off ice maturity as well as chronology. 18 is riskier than 20 in development measure, but if someone is CLEARLY ready, like JT, you roll with him and hope for the best. Nino - not ready. Strome - not ready. Reinhart is closer to both IMHO.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:21 PM
InformTheMasses

Strome is strong World Juniors, and CHL Playoffs, and off season strength training program away from being our 2nd line center.

All of those will happen. He's ready.

Closed Thread