HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Lockout Discussion Thread 5.0: The Lockout is over!!

Old
12-29-2012, 05:01 PM
le_sean

vCash: 500
Gomez is a no-brainer to be left off the team. But with a compliance buy-out? I don't see the point in it. He'll have a year left on his contract with the real money owed being $4.5 million. It might make more sense to send him to the minors or trade to a team with a low cap.

Bourque sucks, and some people here are expecting way too much production at $3.3 million. That's not a big contract at all. However, do we want him on the team until 2016? He'll just be a waste of a roster spot.

Get rid of Bourque and by 2014 the team will have him, Gomez, Gionta, Markov, and Kaberle off the books with Galchenyuk in the NHL and others knocking on the door. You then have the money to make a big run at Malkin

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:06 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Gomez buy out makes sense if we're talking THIS year...But the buyout is for next year, seems sort of like a waste to use it on him.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Gomez is a no-brainer to be left off the team. But with a compliance buy-out? I don't see the point in it. He'll have a year left on his contract with the real money owed being $4.5 million. It might make more sense to send him to the minors or trade to a team with a low cap.

Bourque sucks, and some people here are expecting way too much production at $3.3 million. That's not a big contract at all. However, do we want him on the team until 2016? He'll just be a waste of a roster spot.

Get rid of Bourque and by 2014 the team will have him, Gomez, Gionta, Markov, and Kaberle off the books with Galchenyuk in the NHL and others knocking on the door. You then have the money to make a big run at Malkin
Under the new rules sending players to the minors won't wipe their cap hit from the cap.

You don't have to have Bourque until 2016, just get him back to producing and I'm sure he'll have trade value. Trading or buying him out now is poor asset mangement(sell low).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Gomez buy out makes sense if we're talking THIS year...But the buyout is for next year, seems sort of like a waste to use it on him.
I don't understand what you are saying.

If there is a CBA and a "compliance buyout" is part of it it will be soon. Gomez has this year and next left, so we'd be saving 2 years at 7.35 mil cap hit, with the cap dropping(and subsequently the floor) I doubt anybody will need Gomez to get to the floor any more.

Old
12-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

If there is a CBA and a "compliance buyout" is part of it it will be soon. Gomez has this year and next left, so we'd be saving 2 years at 7.35 mil cap hit, with the cap dropping(and subsequently the floor) I doubt anybody will need Gomez to get to the floor any more.
The difference between buying out Gomez or Bourque on the cap hit is 4M. If the season starts this year, then next year, cap drops around 60M. We'll need that cap space. Keep in mind we still have to sign Subban.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 06:07 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The difference between buying out Gomez or Bourque on the cap hit is 4M. If the season starts this year, then next year, cap drops around 60M. We'll need that cap space. Keep in mind we still have to sign Subban.
My understanding is that they're setting up the rules such that there shouldn't be an issue for the remainder of 2012-2013.

As for Gomez, we can always buy him out under the standard rules. With one season left, pay him 4.5 million and have a cap space of 1.5 million/year for 2 years.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 06:08 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
So if there is a half season (41games), Bourque is healthy and gets decent minutes I think 10 goals is within reason. There is an awful lot of variables involved, if he gets stuck on a line with a different centre, if Galchenyuk is brought into the picture, how will Therien run the team yadda yadda.

I get 10 goals and up, you get single digits.
OK, we have a wager then.

This is an open wager if anybody else wants to join in.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:

I'm not sure if my understanding of it is correct but the two sides have agreed to $70.2 million cap this year (same as last year) and then next year it will drop to $60 million (or so). Therefore, there is no need for compliance buyouts this year but next year there will be.

From what I've heard there will be one buyout per team at the start of next season.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 06:19 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyd View Post
Not really, he can play 3rd line duties, Armstrong can play right wing in a complementary role on other lines.
Bourque on the LW: 10 goals
Bourque on the RW: 25 goals

It's as simple as that. I'd rather him play RW and be in a position to score than just prod along on the left side snakebitten.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

I'm in too.

If Bourque scores double digit goals I'll have a marble for an avatar and the word pwned underneath my name for the rest of this season, plus if we are in the playoffs and a full month afterward our season ends.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:27 PM
coolasprICE

buy-out shmyout ... I hope they just get a deal done. I'll care about the details once they agree to play. At this point, I can't even care to read the proposals. All I know is there's lots of snow outside, it's cold, and I much rather be watching HNIC than reading about the lockout.

I've said it since the beginning I personally feel there is too much on the line to scrap the entire season and a deal will be made... But for ****s sake, I can't handle more ''good or bad'' lockout news.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Regardless of how it ends up, if there is any sort of "compliance buyout" Gomez is the only slam dunk candidate we have...even if it's only for 1 year.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:38 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

with the new cba, if gomez gets sent to hamilton his 7.3m will count against the cap so this isnt an option anymore

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Right now we are at 63 million (roughly) without Subban signed. For next season, we are currently at 60 million without Subban signed and with 7 other positions unsigned. There is no other option:buy out Gomez. What else is there for us to do? Seriously? Even dumping Gomez will not ensure we can do anything other than bring up some rookies to play. 60 million minus Gomez' 7.3 million + Subban's "x" million leaves us with maybe 2 million or less to sign 7 players in order to have a 23 man roster.

I am not great at math, so I will be happy to have someone show me where I am wrong, but it seems like the only thing we can do is buyout Gomez.

Bourque will be fine. He will turn it around with Plekanec and Gionta pushing him. Gionta gets the best out of his line mates and I can see our captain whipping Bourque into shape.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:45 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Right now we are at 63 million (roughly) without Subban signed. For next season, we are currently at 60 million without Subban signed and with 7 other positions unsigned. There is no other option:buy out Gomez. What else is there for us to do? Seriously? Even dumping Gomez will not ensure we can do anything other than bring up some rookies to play. 60 million minus Gomez' 7.3 million + Subban's "x" million leaves us with maybe 2 million or less to sign 7 players in order to have a 23 man roster.

I am not great at math, so I will be happy to have someone show me where I am wrong, but it seems like the only thing we can do is buyout Gomez.

Bourque will be fine. He will turn it around with Plekanec and Gionta pushing him. Gionta gets the best out of his line mates and I can see our captain whipping Bourque into shape.
Use the compliance buyout on Bourque and the standard buyout on Gomez.

Buying out Gomez with 1 season left means replacing the 7 million dollar cap hit with 2 years of a 1.5 million dollar cap hit.

We should also flip Kaberle for draft picks at the end of this season if we can.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:10 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
under the new NHL proposal we get one amnesty buy out for the 13/14 season. I would keep Gomez and buy out Bourque.
If Bourque is terrible for this half season, I would agree with you.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:17 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post

Buyout Gomez and trade Gionta at the deadline, we can move Markov or Kaberle if needed, it's not the end of the world.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:33 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Remember gentlemen your wager is based on 41 games, not 48. You might consider changing the dividing metric to .25 goals per game played by Bourque.

Last edited by bsl: 12-30-2012 at 01:47 AM.
bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Remember gentlemen your wager is based on 41 games, not 48. You might consider changing the dividing metric to .25 goals per game played by Bourque.
Is Bourque going to be ready for the start of the season? He had some ab surgery or something a few months ago.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Is Bourque going to be ready for the start of the season? He had some ab surgery or something a few months ago.
He was going to miss 6-8 weeks which would have put him back around December 1st. Hopefully he is 100% and can bounce back.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:08 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Bourque on the LW: 10 goals
Bourque on the RW: 25 goals

It's as simple as that. I'd rather him play RW and be in a position to score than just prod along on the left side snakebitten.
That's one mean stat. Then I would be more than intrigued to try out a line of:
Pacs - DD - Bourque

with other lines being:
Galchenyuk - Pleks - Cole
Arms - Eller - Gionta
Moen - Nokes - Prust

After WJC I would bring Galchenyuk for a 48 game tryout. It will prepare him for next season. As for Bourque and Armstrong, you need to keep them in the roster until Leblanc and Gallagher are ready.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:25 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:

The amnesty buyout in the proposed CBA is for the 2013-2014 season, so we'd only be saving on 1 year of Gomez, not 2. It doesn't count for this year, if there is one.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The amnesty buyout in the proposed CBA is for the 2013-2014 season, so we'd only be saving on 1 year of Gomez, not 2. It doesn't count for this year, if there is one.
That wouldn't make a lot of sense, most teams would need to clear cap space to get under the cap.

If that ends up being the case Gomez still makes all the sense unless he has a monster comeback and puts up 1 PPGM.

Last edited by Monctonscout: 12-30-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old
12-30-2012, 11:42 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
That wouldn't make a lot of sense, most teams would need to clear cap space to get under the cap.
They need to get under the cap for the 2013/2014 season not this one.

There isn't going to be a 2012/2013 season anyway

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
They need to get under the cap for the 2013/2014 season not this one.

There isn't going to be a 2012/2013 season anyway
There is going to be a 2013 season.

If this year's cap is 60 mil then like 16 teams are already over with some still having holes in their roster.