HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 roster

Old
12-29-2012, 12:26 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
I definitely think he should be kept. But how do we get Tavares to be Captain without being a dick to Streit?
Hopefully Streit hands it down. He doesn't seem like the guy who would hold onto it if he felt like its JT's time.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:30 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

vCash: 500
Quote:
I definitely think he should be kept. But how do we get Tavares to be Captain without being a dick to Streit?
Haha, that's going to be a problem. It's Johnny's team anyway and everyone knows it. Let Streit handle all the off ice stuff.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:44 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
If the internet were big in 1979, people would be pushing for Potvin to be traded or retire so Bossy could be captain. I think people worry about this in such a misplaced manner. The "C" only means someone can get everyone going on the same page and get things settled in the lockerroom. Tavares has just the right number of letters on his jersey right now for all intents and purposes. Two fewer and he'd be wearing those ridiculous jerseys, one more and he's got more pressure on him while he grows.

Streit works. In the future, for all we know, Hamonic or Reinhart or even Bailey could turn out to be the best choice. That will be decided by the players, in time.

It's not a concern of fans who "gets" the "C", just who "earns" the DUTY of wearing it.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:19 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

I just don't see Frans going anywhere. It wouldn't make sense to move him. The Isles are in a good position to inject some youth in this lineup, while still having a good amount of young pieces to possibly move for some veteran talent. I expect them to start being more active in the offseason, especially now that the Brooklyn deal is complete and the fact that most of this young talent is ready to contribute at the NHL level.

Frans could maybe bring back a 2nd pairing defenseman, but isn't that what we expect the guys like deHaan, Donovan, Mayfield, Pokka, etc. to become?

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:31 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I just don't see Frans going anywhere. It wouldn't make sense to move him. The Isles are in a good position to inject some youth in this lineup, while still having a good amount of young pieces to possibly move for some veteran talent. I expect them to start being more active in the offseason, especially now that the Brooklyn deal is complete and the fact that most of this young talent is ready to contribute at the NHL level.

Frans could maybe bring back a 2nd pairing defenseman, but isn't that what we expect the guys like deHaan, Donovan, Mayfield, Pokka, etc. to become?
Yep. And Frans is a position of weakness. Strength we allegedly have in scoring with our draftees and need time. When it all shapes up, I see Frans as still a unique talent and Strome, Tavares, Nelson, Lee and others as points of strength. Will we need more defensive forwards after we have a better sampling of talent?

If so, we have ample bodies to trade for it. Or will we need defense? We'll have two points of weakness (defensive forwards, defense) and one point of strength. See where I'm getting at?

And are the kids ready to compete at NYI NHL level or Detroit Red Wing NHL level? Snow thankfully will be patient with some due to the numbers.

We should hope.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Sheva7

vCash: 463
Moulson-JT-Okposo
Nelson-Strome-Nino
Bailey-Nielsen-Grabner
Martin-Cizikas-Boulton

Streit-Amac
Hamonic-Vis
CDH-Carkner

Nabokov.

Overall a very very very skilled group...but imo they still lack that toughness needed to go deep in playoffs.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:50 PM
leeroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
Moulson-JT-Okposo
Nelson-Strome-Nino
Bailey-Nielsen-Grabner
Martin-Cizikas-Boulton

Streit-Amac
Hamonic-Vis
CDH-Carkner

Nabokov.

Overall a very very very skilled group...but imo they still lack that toughness needed to go deep in playoffs.
If you ice a team with Carkner, Boulton, Martin and Hamonic you will see the rest of the players stepping up their toughness quite a lot. Knowing you have your back covered is gold in the NHL come playoff time.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:39 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
Moulson-JT-Okposo
Nelson-Strome-Nino
Bailey-Nielsen-Grabner
Martin-Cizikas-Boulton

Streit-Amac
Hamonic-Vis
CDH-Carkner

Nabokov.

Not sure this rookie line would be the best thing for their development.

LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Sheva7

vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
If you ice a team with Carkner, Boulton, Martin and Hamonic you will see the rest of the players stepping up their toughness quite a lot. Knowing you have your back covered is gold in the NHL come playoff time.
A very good point. We seen it when we kicked the Pittsburgh's ass with Haley/Gillies in the lineup.
No need to overhaul the lineup. Didn't mean for it to sound that way.

I'd just be more comfortable if we had 1 more 'hard nosed vet types' in our top 9 group of fwds. Only because our top 9 group, although having good size, they are all very young.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:58 PM
rikker

2nd to 4th lines are fairly interchangeable. could be a good situation, in which those lines are inspired by the fact that they are fairly equal.

yes, it's a young line-up, and not destined for immediate success, but it's probably what we will see. growing pains, unfortunately, for a few more years...

sorry, as much as i would love to see Streit, Vis, and Nabby stay, i just can't see it...

Moulson-JT-Okposo
Bailey-Nielsen-Grabner
Nino-Nelson-Joensuu
Martin-Cizikas-Ullstrom
Boulton

Amac-Hamonic
UFA-UFA
CDH/Donovan-Carkner

Nilsson Poulin

Last edited by rikker: 12-29-2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: i'm abset minded
rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:49 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikker View Post
2nd to 4th lines are fairly interchangeable. could be a good situation, in which those lines are inspired by the fact that they are fairly equal.

yes, it's a young line-up, and not destined for immediate success, but it's probably what we will see. growing pains, unfortunately, for a few more years...

sorry, as much as i would love to see Streit, Vis, and Nabby stay, i just can't see it...

Moulson-JT-Okposo
Bailey-Nielsen-Grabner
Nino-Nelson-Joensuu
Martin-Cizikas-Ullstrom
Boulton

Amac-Hamonic
UFA-UFA
CDH/Donovan-Carkner

Nilsson Poulin
Can't see Streit or Nabby? Nabby has already re-signed once, and Streit apparently loves it here. Do you have some kind of inside info?

Old
12-30-2012, 10:10 AM
19NYSports91

I think the Isles HAVE TO trade Grabner for a veteran defenseman (27-32 years old).

It's too early to make a prediction for the Islanders depth chart in 2013-2014, but I do like the guys up the middle. We have been lacking a #2 center for a while now and it would be nice to see Strome be that guy.

Tavares
Strome
Nielsen
Cizikas

Thats pretty solid.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:06 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
I think the Isles HAVE TO trade Grabner for a veteran defenseman (27-32 years old).

Maybe. I don't think Snow HAS to make any decisions until the summer.

I'm hoping we can at least get the 48 game partial season in, so we can see if Streit/Vis can rebound off their erratic, disappointing seasons.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:43 AM
InformTheMasses

No they don't HAVE to do anything, but I could see them dealing Nabokov, Visnovsky, Boyes and Striet (if they cant come to an extension agreement) at the trade deadline for draft picks. And of course Marty Reasoner if anybody dare want him (never know, we found a taker for Rolston last year).

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:59 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post

It's too early to make a prediction for the Islanders depth chart in 2013-2014, but I do like the guys up the middle. We have been lacking a #2 center for a while now and it would be nice to see Strome be that guy.

Tavares
Strome
Nielsen
Cizikas

Thats pretty solid.
Love the centers but would keep Grabner for when we have ample talent up front. His speed and ability to score on breakaways with Frans is a match made in heaven for a team with depth. Add a defensive LW with speed or even Josh Bailey on wing and that's a seriously good defensive line. Yes, even with Grabner not being Selke material.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:01 PM
rikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Can't see Streit or Nabby? Nabby has already re-signed once, and Streit apparently loves it here. Do you have some kind of inside info?
no, definitely no sources.

it's just that they're all in their late 30's, and i'd assume that they might uproot for a few years, if given a chance with a legitimate contender.

if they all stuck around, i honestly could see us vying for a PO spot...

hoping for them to stay, but think they're gonna get Wanged right on outta here..

Old
12-30-2012, 02:09 PM
rikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Love the centers but would keep Grabner for when we have ample talent up front. His speed and ability to score on breakaways with Frans is a match made in heaven for a team with depth. Add a defensive LW with speed or even Josh Bailey on wing and that's a seriously good defensive line. Yes, even with Grabner not being Selke material.
damn, i love Grabner's speed, but don't you think we have more of a need, for a solid, shutdown defenceman? the quickest, easiest way to respectibility, is to cut down on GA's, and a guy like Regehr (just using him as an example...) would be more valuable than Grabner. IMO, of course...

while we have some good sized defenceman coming up, we are at least two years away from any of them being a REAL help...

Old
12-30-2012, 02:16 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
No they don't HAVE to do anything, but I could see them dealing Nabokov, Visnovsky, Boyes and Striet (if they cant come to an extension agreement) at the trade deadline for draft picks. And of course Marty Reasoner if anybody dare want him (never know, we found a taker for Rolston last year).
I'm hoping with the isles turnover on defense and letting Nabokov carry the bulk of the goaltending, we will be in the mix for one of the lower playoff spots.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:20 PM
seafoam

Quote:
damn, i love Grabner's speed, but don't you think we have more of a need, for a solid, shutdown defenceman? the quickest, easiest way to respectibility, is to cut down on GA's, and a guy like Regehr (just using him as an example...) would be more valuable than Grabner. IMO, of course...

while we have some good sized defenceman coming up, we are at least two years away from any of them being a REAL help...
So you're going to give away Grabner for two years of Regehr or whatever when we can just sign a stopgap like Scott Hannan until Reinhart or someone else is ready?

That would totally be contradicting to how Garth has constructed this rebuild. Whether you agree with it or not Garth is going to stick to the plan that he has for so long. That is keep the pieces you have and build from within.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:00 PM
rikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
So you're going to give away Grabner for two years of Regehr or whatever when we can just sign a stopgap like Scott Hannan until Reinhart or someone else is ready?

That would totally be contradicting to how Garth has constructed this rebuild. Whether you agree with it or not Garth is going to stick to the plan that he has for so long. That is keep the pieces you have and build from within.
yeah, i did say a guy LIKE Regehr, which was not a good choice. maybe a younger guy that fits in with the youth re-build... essentially, another Hamonic type...

Old
12-30-2012, 03:32 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

My thing is and always has been to make the pieces you have work, even if we're planning on having more in two years.

Waiting for Reinhart? Sign a top four defenseman to help what we have. We have Hamonic, MacD, Streit and Viz now. No need to lose Grabner, our speed, to make our top four better. If we can sign someone solid, older and with leadership, that improves our top six. And it improves Grabner's function with a better defense, leaving more outlet passes and potential scoring opportunities, not to mention better getting-the-*******-out-of-our-zone chances.

Which cuts down on GA's. And adds GF's.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:08 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
no, definitely no sources.

it's just that they're all in their late 30's, and i'd assume that they might uproot for a few years, if given a chance with a legitimate contender.

if they all stuck around, i honestly could see us vying for a PO spot...

hoping for them to stay, but think they're gonna get Wanged right on outta here..
Fair enough. Anything is possible I suppose but I'll still be surprised if Streit walks. Less surprised if Nabby walks, although I do expect the Isles to offer him another contract. With the defense in need of some veteran leadership, and with the way Streit started to rebound at the end of 2011-12, I can't see them making every effort to re-sign their Captain. Even if it means offering another 3 years at $4M+ a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'm hoping with the isles turnover on defense and letting Nabokov carry the bulk of the goaltending, we will be in the mix for one of the lower playoff spots.
I hope you are right. I could see it... more than a few things will need to happen, but it is definitely possible.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:36 PM
turkulad

Vancouver fan coming in peace again. A while back I was trying to gauge the value of a trade based on Nielsen and Keith Ballard. Since the reactions seemed to be that Ballard would fit a need but Nielsen's lost spot would be felt deeply, making that trade pretty lateral, I just want to run this idea through you, as a part of a three-way-trade with Toronto and Vancouver:

NYI give up: Frans Nielsen, Ville Pokka
NYI receive: Tyler Bozak, Keith Ballard

Reasoning being that Toronto is giving up Bozak but as he doesn't really fit that terrific mold Vancouver is yearning to fill, he'd be offered to you in exchange for Nielsen. As Nielsen is a terrific defensive 3C but Bozak is (according to analysis of poster reactions) someone who can admirably work as a 2C as well as a 3C, he'd fit your needs even more as the 3C post could be delegated to a Nelson or a Strome more easily than a line that would actually need to handle heavy scoring duty. Bozak has done that work before. And while Bozak vs Nielsen might be close, Nielsen's value as a 3C is highly regarded, so a Ballard-for-Pokka switch would tilt the thing more towards your favour. The Canucks would really need someone like him to bolster the defensive prospect ranks, and Ballard is just the fit for you.

What do Isle fans think of this one?

turkulad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:51 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

That lineup is putrid. I'm as fanatic as they come (you all know this), but god damnit that lineup is crap. How can a GM be satisfied with something so bad? Does our GM really think these guys are going to turn into superstar? Okposo and Bailey are what they are, get better guys in here already.

I mean the losses won't start to suck until they start to mount, obviously, but this is a potential train wreck and we all know it.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:18 PM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkulad View Post
Vancouver fan coming in peace again. A while back I was trying to gauge the value of a trade based on Nielsen and Keith Ballard. Since the reactions seemed to be that Ballard would fit a need but Nielsen's lost spot would be felt deeply, making that trade pretty lateral, I just want to run this idea through you, as a part of a three-way-trade with Toronto and Vancouver:

NYI give up: Frans Nielsen, Ville Pokka
NYI receive: Tyler Bozak, Keith Ballard

Reasoning being that Toronto is giving up Bozak but as he doesn't really fit that terrific mold Vancouver is yearning to fill, he'd be offered to you in exchange for Nielsen. As Nielsen is a terrific defensive 3C but Bozak is (according to analysis of poster reactions) someone who can admirably work as a 2C as well as a 3C, he'd fit your needs even more as the 3C post could be delegated to a Nelson or a Strome more easily than a line that would actually need to handle heavy scoring duty. Bozak has done that work before. And while Bozak vs Nielsen might be close, Nielsen's value as a 3C is highly regarded, so a Ballard-for-Pokka switch would tilt the thing more towards your favour. The Canucks would really need someone like him to bolster the defensive prospect ranks, and Ballard is just the fit for you.

What do Isle fans think of this one?
If Nielsen were to be traded, which I don't see happening, the return would be a lot better than Bozak and Ballard. Frans would be one of the better third line centers in the league if he played there. On top on that, he provides versatility and leadership to a very young team on a great contract. Also, why would Garth ship off arguably our best puck moving defenseman prospect who he just drafted and came off a strong WJC for Keith Ballard who has been underwhelming for Vancouver and carries a big contract?