HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Curtis Lazar - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2013, 17th overall, Ottawa)

Old
12-07-2012, 08:46 PM
bsmith14

vCash: 500
Lazar buries a one timer out in front. 5th goal in 3 games.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Everything I hear about this kid sounds carbon copy to Ryan Kesler. His shot is great, his defensive game is top-notch, his play-making skill is underrated, his hockey sense is above average and he can play physical when needed.

He was also very noticeable the game against Moose Jaw 2 weeks ago.

And of-course, even with that comparison, someone will bring up the " Kesler's diving" comment into the consideration.

Last edited by Fearless Leaf*: 12-07-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Money Baer
COYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
Everything I hear about this kid sounds carbon copy to Ryan Kesler. His shot his great, his defensive game is top-notch, his play-making skill is underrated, his hockey sense is above average and he can play physical when needed.

He was also very noticeable the game against Moose Jaw 2 weeks ago.

And of-course, even with that comparison, someone will bring up the " Kesler's diving" comment into the consideration.
No one can dive like Kesler...

Hit the post early in tonights game.... shortly after scored a goal... His offensive game sure is picking up.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:39 AM
puckfan13

Kid's on a heater right now, pretty sure most other Oil Kings fans realized this would happen sooner rather than later.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:03 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
This whole lines thing drives me crazy. There are many instances where a "3rd line" center is more valuable than the 1st line center on the team. That's why I don't like using lines, it's much easier to divide minutes. David Bolland plays some of the toughest minutes in the NHL and does really well with those minutes. Lazar seems to have the potential to play that role. If he can be a David Bolland I would take him 12th-15th overall in a second.
I agree. People try to hard to make 3rd line prospects seem more then what they are. The same is made of Ty Biggs. He's a 3rd liner at least. But maybe not much more. Not that it's a knock on him, teams need guys that can put up 30 pts and still kill penalties and smother stars. Irritate and intimidate. Or just play a gritty shut down game like Brandon Sutter. It's very underrated outside of coaches. These types of players are so needed for playoff teams.

I'd love the Leafs to take him if they have a pick at 9-15. We have a few gritty 3-4 liners, but no great centers for that role. I don't think he gets past that though.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
He's back to being cold. No points in 4 of his last 5 games.

His PPG is now at 0.7.

Really hard to imagine him going top 10 if he doesn't heat up in the 2nd half.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:54 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

His PPG is now at 0.7.

I think he's definitely played his way out of the top 10 this year

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:03 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

His PPG is now at 0.7.

I think you're looking into his stats a little too much, I haven't seen him more a little bit now so take this with a grain of salt. But if he doesn't go top 13 it would be criminal, he does so much more than the stats say, which Im sure you're aware of.

For his offense this season, I don't know what to say. He's capable of a lot more but not getting as much ice time on as other top prospects, and focusing on other aspects, such as his two way play, physicality, faceoffs, etc. Isn't he on the 2nd pp unit anyway?

I'm probably just making excuses for him, but they're things a lot of people forget and shouldn't be overlooked.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:11 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
I think you're looking into his stats a little too much, I haven't seen him more a little bit now so take this with a grain of salt. But if he doesn't go top 13 it would be criminal, he does so much more than the stats say, which Im sure you're aware of.

For his offense this season, I don't know what to say. He's capable of a lot more but not getting as much ice time on as other top prospects, and focusing on other aspects, such as his two way play, physicality, faceoffs, etc. Isn't he on the 2nd pp unit anyway?

I'm probably just making excuses for him, but they're things a lot of people forget and shouldn't be overlooked.
He is actually on the first unit pp. Problem is that they are using him as a screen in front of the net. So basically everyone is shooting except him. If he doesnt get a tip or tap in a rebound he gets no points.

They actually scrapped that configuration before christmas and he was able to utilize his considerable shot and consequently started scoring again.

But in the most recent game after Boxing day, they were back to using him in front of the net again. That isnt his game, but they have so many talented offensive forwards, that is what he is left with.

Its pretty frustrating. I wouldnt be surprised if this is being done purposely so the Oilers can pick him up should they not have a favourable draft position. Sounds a little tinfoil hattish, but it really wouldnt surprise me given their propensity to use the Oil Kings as a junior farm team of sorts.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:01 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He is actually on the first unit pp. Problem is that they are using him as a screen in front of the net. So basically everyone is shooting except him. If he doesnt get a tip or tap in a rebound he gets no points.

They actually scrapped that configuration before christmas and he was able to utilize his considerable shot and consequently started scoring again.

But in the most recent game after Boxing day, they were back to using him in front of the net again. That isnt his game, but they have so many talented offensive forwards, that is what he is left with.

Its pretty frustrating. I wouldnt be surprised if this is being done purposely so the Oilers can pick him up should they not have a favourable draft position. Sounds a little tinfoil hattish, but it really wouldnt surprise me given their propensity to use the Oil Kings as a junior farm team of sorts.
Then there you have it. I'm not so sure about it being purposely done so Edmonton can draft him. But I don't understand why they would be doing it, kid has a rocket of a shot.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:26 PM
hab 4ever

I've seen him play 5 times and only twice this year but I don't get the hype. It this draft with over 45 players with a first round grade, I would not have him in my top thirty at all. Early second round at best. What am I missing?

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:36 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
I've seen him play 5 times and only twice this year but I don't get the hype. It this draft with over 45 players with a first round grade, I would not have him in my top thirty at all. Early second round at best. What am I missing?
He does everything right. Does not make many mistakes and he uses the body. Next year he most likely will be the OK'S 1st line center and he will explode offensively. I have only missed 2 OK games this year and saw a lot last year.

monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Extremly small sample size, evaluating his offense instead his tool set. What kind of role was he playing?

I wouldnt have him in my top 20 either, reminds me of Gaunce from last year.

Last edited by 1972: 12-29-2012 at 09:50 PM.
1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:45 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
He does everything right. Does not make many mistakes and he uses the body. Next year he most likely will be the OK'S 1st line center and he will explode offensively. I have only missed 2 OK games this year and saw a lot last year.
Thanks for feedback. I feel like the upside is not there to warrant such a high selection in a loaded draft. I will try to watch more games in the second half of the season.

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:58 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Thanks for feedback. I feel like the upside is not there to warrant such a high selection in a loaded draft. I will try to watch more games in the second half of the season.
Try to if you can, but you really will not get to see his full offensive potential in till he gets either a better spot on the PP, or next year when he is a 1st liner. If any team gets him after 20th consider him a steal I would say. I also think h will be on team Canada next and fans will love him once they see him.

monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:11 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

He's gritty and excellent defensively. We are all aware of that. I guess the questions surrounding him are based only on his offensive output and ultimately his offensive upside. I can't explain the output. The upside I do like, however. He's smart positionally in the offensive zone and his wrist shot is top notch. He's a great skater and will pay the price physically. He has the will, the ability, and the smarts to be where he needs to be in the offensive zone. He's got the shot to bury the puck when he gets his chances. That should suit him well in the NHL. That said, I have no answers for why he isn't blowing up the WHL right now.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Hynh

Quote:
For what it's worth, no WHL player has gone top 13 without at least .8 ppg in the past 10 years. And honestly I can't blame teams for shying away from players that aren't scoring at that high of a pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
That would incredibly cool, especially if they trade the 2014 for another first round pick. Going home with Pulock and Lazar would be a big win for the Oilers.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:24 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
For what it's worth, no WHL player has gone top 13 without at least .8 ppg in the past 10 years. And honestly I can't blame teams for shying away from players that aren't scoring at that high of a pick.
Normally I'd agree with you 100%, but with Lazar the thing is you can see how much of an effective offensive player he is the way he drives the net and uses is hands down low. Just like I am the Liquor said, he's not being used the way he should be the majority of the time. If he's used the way he should be like he was for a few games, he'll puts his points up.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Normally I'd agree with you 100%, but with Lazar the thing is you can see how much of an effective offensive player he is the way he drives the net and uses is hands down low. Just like I am the Liquor said, he's not being used the way he should be the majority of the time. If he's used the way he should be like he was for a few games, he'll puts his points up.
I think the fact that this draft has such a good top end will hurt him. You've got 9 or so players that a team would be delighted to have and then (apparently) another 30 that are first round talent who could go on a late rise and push him down. When you consider that teams always make reaches he could very well slip to 20th or out of the first round even.

If this was last year I think he'd have a chance at top 13.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:26 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

He hasn't had the best season offensively, but I'd take him #8-15 in the draft. Stats are important, but scouts look at more than just stats. There are definitely special circumstances here with his role on the Oil Kings and scouts are aware of that believe me. He may not become a #1 center, but I have a hard time not seeing him becoming a #2 in the NHL. He's just too smart, too skilled and too willed.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:01 AM
Fourier

I have not seen that much of him and only once live last year. But that one game sold me on this kid. He does everything well. He also had a terrific playoffs last year.

I actually am not surprised his numbers are less than most expected. I had a sense that the way the OK's would use him would not result in a lot of points. But as an Oiler fan I'd love to have him as a potential #2C. Personally, I thimk that he has the potential to be an elite #2C but may not have enough of an offensive package to be a top end #1 center.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:48 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
He hasn't had the best season offensively, but I'd take him #8-15 in the draft. Stats are important, but scouts look at more than just stats. There are definitely special circumstances here with his role on the Oil Kings and scouts are aware of that believe me. He may not become a #1 center, but I have a hard time not seeing him becoming a #2 in the NHL. He's just too smart, too skilled and too willed.
I like this analysis. Where should a guy who's going to be a great 2nd line center in the NHL be drafted? I think pretty high, because he's not a bust risk. I think he'll go anywhere from 7th to 20th, and the closer to 20th he goes the bigger the steal, because he is a workhorse, and every team covets that type of player, just not as a top 5 pick

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:40 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I could potentially see him as similar to Mike Fisher, long term.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I have not seen that much of him and only once live last year. But that one game sold me on this kid. He does everything well. He also had a terrific playoffs last year.

I actually am not surprised his numbers are less than most expected. I had a sense that the way the OK's would use him would not result in a lot of points. But as an Oiler fan I'd love to have him as a potential #2C. Personally, I thimk that he has the potential to be an elite #2C but may not have enough of an offensive package to be a top end #1 center.
I would agree with this as stats can be misleading...to a degree.

Griffin Reinharts numbers are lower than expected but Edmonton likes to use 5 forwards on the PP alot.

Lazar does have 15 goals, it his assists that are lower than one would expect.

He is such a solid bet to have a very high floor that I can't see him slipping past the 15th spot and on the strong Edmonton team another long playoff run could help his status.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:20 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
I would agree with this as stats can be misleading...to a degree.

Griffin Reinharts numbers are lower than expected but Edmonton likes to use 5 forwards on the PP alot.

Lazar does have 15 goals, it his assists that are lower than one would expect.

He is such a solid bet to have a very high floor that I can't see him slipping past the 15th spot and on the strong Edmonton team another long playoff run could help his status.
That's just it. I don't think you're getting a guy with enough offense to be a true #1C, but if everything goes wrong, I still think you end up with a good shutdown #3C

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote