HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Forsberg - Prince George Cougars, WHL (2013 undrafted)

Old
12-29-2012, 05:05 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Seattle has a couple of high unsigned draft picks as well.

The situation could get very interesting as the WHL really came down hard on Portland and wants to be seen as a league that even small markets have a chance to win.

There is very little chance either top prospect (Matthew Barzal or Ryan Gropp) gets moved for Forsberg without making a commitment to sign with Prince George IMO.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:22 AM
Skinnyjimmy08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Seattle has a couple of high unsigned draft picks as well.

The situation could get very interesting as the WHL really came down hard on Portland and wants to be seen as a league that even small markets have a chance to win.

There is very little chance either top prospect (Matthew Barzal or Ryan Gropp) gets moved for Forsberg without making a commitment to sign with Prince George IMO.
Ya i highly doubt seattle moves barzal or gropp. I really think Seattle may need to make this deal though to help lure Barzal and/or Gropp to Seattle though. Seattle is rolling with 5 17 year old Dmen this year so one of them would head the other way to PG I'm sure

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:26 AM
Skinnyjimmy08

my prediction is Alex Forsberg for a 2013 1st(Portland's pick that seattle got for Noebels) and a 17 year old Defenseman(Taylor Green???) I say Green because he hasn't played regularly due to the amount of young dmen on Seattle and he is actually quite skilled for a 6'7 defenseman(stats don't show it, but he is quite skilled and has great hands for a monster)

Old
12-29-2012, 06:05 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
my prediction is Alex Forsberg for a 2013 1st(Portland's pick that seattle got for Noebels) and a 17 year old Defenseman(Taylor Green???) I say Green because he hasn't played regularly due to the amount of young dmen on Seattle and he is actually quite skilled for a 6'7 defenseman(stats don't show it, but he is quite skilled and has great hands for a monster)
If that is the domino needed to get Barazal and or Gropp to sign then Seattle should do it.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:20 AM
Skinnyjimmy08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
If that is the domino needed to get Barazal and or Gropp to sign then Seattle should do it.
I think Barzal is debating too much mostly because he won't have too much skill to play with if he does sign in Seattle. Forsberg going there definately would help I think. It will be a huge domino effect if Seattle can trade for 1 or 2 highly skilled young guys. Forsberg > Barzal > Gropp > Gambrell ... possibly trade for another good young skilled forward too.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:22 PM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

apparently stayed home after christmas and didn't return to the team. not really surprised if true.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:51 PM
jfb392

Reportedly going to play for Humboldt (SJHL) while awaiting a trade.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

PG should let him sit... crazy how 17 year old kids demand trades. Let him stay home and it will ruin his draft year this year.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:50 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Wow. Too small, too slow, and a possible attitude problem now? Not that I really blame him too much for wanting off that team, its not a good thing to do half way through your draft year

derriko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

his brother Jesse is known to be a bit of a "hot head" too... he asked for a trade in the off season and was sent to Seattle. Sounds like these Forsberg boys have a bit of attitude problems

Old
12-29-2012, 05:49 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
PG should let him sit... crazy how 17 year old kids demand trades. Let him stay home and it will ruin his draft year this year.
His future and 10's of thousands of dollars are at stake with his draft position. He is 17 in grade 12 living a long, long ways from Waldheim, Saskatchewan in a pretty crappy city with a crappy culture and complete lack of winning environment. Prince George is a prospect graveyard and Dean Clark is a buffoon, I can't really blame his family for looking out for him in this case.

We also don't know the entire story right now.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
His future and 10's of thousands of dollars are at stake with his draft position. He is 17 in grade 12 living a long, long ways from Waldheim, Saskatchewan in a pretty crappy city with a crappy culture and complete lack of winning environment. Prince George is a prospect graveyard and Dean Clark is a buffoon, I can't really blame his family for looking out for him in this case.

Exactly people forget that they would not want to be treated this way in real life either.

Just imagine that there was a "draft" for everyone in every profession, 99% of the people on here saying man the kid is lucky to play should just shut up and play where he gets the chance, would not accept the same treatment in their own life.

In reality when we get upset about players doing this we are putting our needs and the owners of any club that subscribes to a draft needs ahead of the players. In fact the players are just pieces of meat in a system.

teams like PG and Seattle for example need to attract players to their organizations not just expect compliance IMO.

Rant over

Old
12-29-2012, 07:41 PM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Wow. Too small, too slow, and a possible attitude problem now? Not that I really blame him too much for wanting off that team, its not a good thing to do half way through your draft year
it's really not all that unusual for players to want off horrible teams - if rumours are true, several members of the petes want out. tavares asked to be traded during his draft year - and i think huberdeau has told SJ that he wants to be traded. i wouldn't be too quick to make character judgements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post

i agree. when teams have systemic problems they should look at fixing them so they're more desirable places to play. i know some teams have a geographic disadvantage - and sometimes prospects will refuse to go to them at all - but forsberg has put in a year and a half there...so you can't say he didn't try.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

guarenteed he gets dealt to Seattle and is reunited with his brother. Seattle has NO good 17 year old forwards in their system playing. They do have an abundance of 17 year old dmen on their team tho(5 of them)

Old
12-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Sticks and Pucks

PG is probably the worst place for one to play junior hockey in the CHL. It's been a losing environment for over five years now and I remember Charles Inglis said something along the lines of management treating the players poorly. We should keep in mind that both Forsberg brothers came into the WHL as very good 16-year-olds and their games deteriorated as their careers with PG progressed. One should also note that Jesse Forsberg has played much better ever since he was traded out of PG so perhaps the problem is with the organization and not with Alex Forsberg himself.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:59 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
How's his team mate Zach Pochiro been? My little brother was linemates with him here in Vegas
I live in PG, but i've only been to a few games this year so far, but at the start of the season he looked good, really good...he was relentless in the games i saw him in (and i was watching him closely after i found out where he was from, since it is really unusual to see somebody from Vegas playing hockey, let alone playing way up here).

I havent been to a game in probably about a month though, so i cant say how he's doing lately...i'll be going to the occasional game the rest of the season (really want to see the games against Portland in february, i really want to see Jones play to see what the hype is about).

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:02 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
it's really not all that unusual for players to want off horrible teams - if rumours are true, several members of the petes want out. tavares asked to be traded during his draft year - and i think huberdeau has told SJ that he wants to be traded. i wouldn't be too quick to make character judgements.
Not true for Huberdeau. But trade requests happen quite often in the QMJHL as in the rest of the CHL. Basically, I agree with your point.

hab 4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:07 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Drouin and MacKinnon didn't want to play for Rouyn and Baie-Comeau and I don't think they have attitude problems.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:15 PM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
Not true for Huberdeau. But trade requests happen quite often in the QMJHL as in the rest of the CHL. Basically, I agree with your point.
sorry, my bad.

in any event - it's not rare for players to demand trades when they're in bad situations. as serge pointed out, there are players who refuse to report (MacKinnon, Domi, potentially Barzal - Noel's another player to look out re how he plays the Q draft) - and there are some players who game the drafts by telling teams in advance to not bother drafting them b/c they won't show (Hall, Seguin, Reinhart, many others).

i wouldn't make character judgments re Forsberg b/c he wants out.

as an aside - i wouldn't be surprised if, come draft day, McDavid is on another team.

Last edited by UsernameWasTaken: 12-29-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old
12-29-2012, 09:23 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Drouin and MacKinnon didn't want to play for Rouyn and Baie-Comeau and I don't think they have attitude problems.
Same for Matt Duchesne, Taylor Hall, Erik Gudbrandson, etc.

hab 4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:45 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
PG is probably the worst place for one to play junior hockey in the CHL. It's been a losing environment for over five years now and I remember Charles Inglis said something along the lines of management treating the players poorly. We should keep in mind that both Forsberg brothers came into the WHL as very good 16-year-olds and their games deteriorated as their careers with PG progressed. One should also note that Jesse Forsberg has played much better ever since he was traded out of PG so perhaps the problem is with the organization and not with Alex Forsberg himself.
Funny you relate him to his brother and Charles Inglis, both hot head with attitude issues.

Inglis 4 WHL teams, currently plying his trade in the AJHL after being released by Red Deer and Kamloops this season.

I'm a firm believer cream rises, Brett Connolly rose.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:47 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post

i agree. when teams have systemic problems they should look at fixing them so they're more desirable places to play. i know some teams have a geographic disadvantage - and sometimes prospects will refuse to go to them at all - but forsberg has put in a year and a half there...so you can't say he didn't try.
I'm pretty sure Tavares was asked by Oshawa to be traded, not the other way around.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:26 PM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I'm pretty sure Tavares was asked by Oshawa to be traded, not the other way around.
i remember it being played that way - w/ tavares magnanimously agreeing to waive a "no trade" clause to go to london or something to that effect ...but i'm not sure that that's how it actually went down.

in any event...topic? does anyone who sees a lot of forsberg have a sense of where he might reasonably be expect to go in the draft?

I follow Corey Pronman on twitter (@coreypronman) and he's very good at constantly responding to prospect questions. someone asked him about forsberg today and this was his response:

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman
He's really skilled, but development hasn't gone as hoped. RT @TheLawlmaster: @coreypronman what do you think of alex forsberg?

does ^^ sound right to those who've been watching forsberg?

Old
12-30-2012, 02:44 AM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Yes. He is very smart on the ice with really good offensive tools. Skating isn't pretty. Bit weak defensively. A worse skating version on Michael St. Croix. Perimeter players with tons of skill, but there games might not translate at the next level.

Forsberg could be a really good WHL player if put in the right situation. I could see him going to PA.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:48 AM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Funny you relate him to his brother and Charles Inglis, both hot head with attitude issues.

Inglis 4 WHL teams, currently plying his trade in the AJHL after being released by Red Deer and Kamloops this season.

I'm a firm believer cream rises, Brett Connolly rose.
That's only one example out of many. It seems that many top prospects who go to PG are destined to fail. They include guys like Ryan Kerr and Dale Hunt from back in the day as well, both high draft choices but failed miserably in PG. So is PG really that terrible at drafting or is their development system flawed? I'm going with the latter.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote