HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Where would you rather sign a long term contract...

View Poll Results: Detroit or Florida
Detroit 77 41.62%
Florida 108 58.38%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-29-2012, 03:40 PM
  #51
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,258
vCash: 500
I actually view cold winters as a plus

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:50 PM
  #52
Thanatos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: the midst of nowhere
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Other than Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor, yes it is.
My first trip into Grand Rapids was in 1986 to watch the NCAA division 3 basketball finals. I liked it then, I like it now.

I've traveled the UP, been to SSM, crossed over the Mackinac and dropped down I-75 to I-80 back and forth many times. I'm O.K. with the upper portion of the mitten and the UP. Nice country up there.

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:53 PM
  #53
Muh
Beadle
 
Muh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sloatsburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,236
vCash: 50
Detroit. Wouldn't even consider Florida.

I'd like to play in front of a packed house with a historic track record. Offseason is the time for partying if I am an athlete, so who cares about the beaches. I like cold more anyway.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:58 PM
  #54
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
No it wouldn't, who in their right mind would choose the Islanders? The only viable poll for the Islanders is against Columbus.
How is Brooklyn an undesirable location?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:06 PM
  #55
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Florida looks like it will be the better team, in the future, but Detroit is the better organization and probably won't take long to rebuild.
Wont be much of a rebuild at all. The wave is about to hit. Smith/Nyquist/Tatar are all ready. Then within the next three years you get a second wave featuring Jarnkrok, Ouellet, Sproul, and Jurco.

I'm not saying all are guaranteed to be good, but even if only half of them pan out, Detroit's looking pretty set.

Florida has some good prospects no doubt, it's just their ability to resign what players they have that would make me hesitate to call them a better team in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
My first trip into Grand Rapids was in 1986 to watch the NCAA division 3 basketball finals. I liked it then, I like it now.

I've traveled the UP, been to SSM, crossed over the Mackinac and dropped down I-75 to I-80 back and forth many times. I'm O.K. with the upper portion of the mitten and the UP. Nice country up there.
I've lived here my whole life and have been in Northern Indiana for college for the last two and a half years. I don't handle the cold weather well, physically or mentally, but I figure when I graduate and begin the job search, I'd still like to live near family and friends.

That said, Michigan is not an option for me, that being a primary reason I referred to Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor exclusively. There's nothing going on in the vast majority of that state. The economy sucks, it's very difficult to find good employment, and housing costs are a premium in any decent city. Unfortunately, the state is so hopelessly screwed that it's gonna take a long time to undo all that's been done.

But with that said, if I'm a hockey player making $550,000 minimum, I'd pick Detroit simply because I'm taking my favorite team all day.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:14 PM
  #56
davebenj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Detroit. I don't like southern Florida anyways lol.

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:18 PM
  #57
HockeyBuddha
Knower of All
 
HockeyBuddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Just inside Area 51
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
Detroit. Many players have chosen a warmer climate with sun and fun only to find out they're miserable as hockey players and the game isn't as fun as they thought it would be. Therefore, I choose going to a place I know is all about hockey and bettering myself as a hockey player.

HockeyBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:35 PM
  #58
OmniCube
Registered User
 
OmniCube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovesLikeJagr68 View Post
Detroit or Florida

Don't just factor in the teams or players. Think of yourself as a young man who was just offered a 5-8 year contract to either if these teams. Also assume that you would be buying a home in this city.


Detroit

- hockeytown
- original six
- greats have played there
- play with Datsyuk and Zetterberg
- Detroit is a city rampant with crime
- cold winters
- right beside a very polluted lake
- not a desirable living place for a millionaire


Florida

- what's hockey?
- newer team with little history
- no legendary greats, except Bure I suppose
- no superstar talent to play beside as of now
- close to Miami, good times there
- very warm, relaxing climate
- a drive to the ocean
- beach = hot chicks in bikinis
1) Everyone knows Detroit proper is a craphole. Everyone also knows that none of the professional athletes would ever consider living there.

2) Many of the suburbs north of Miami are spectacularly crime-ridden and dangerous.

OmniCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:42 PM
  #59
Qward
Moderator
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 13,327
vCash: 265
Detroit scares the **** out of me.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:23 PM
  #60
zytz
lumberjack
 
zytz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,795
vCash: 500
I play for Detroit- tbh I'll only live there during the season, and half of that time I'll be on the road in a hotel anyways. I'd get a nice condo in DET and buy a beach house in Miami for the offseason if I wanted.

No offense to Miami, but anyone who is thinking about their career vs. their personal comfort even a little bit here goes for DET.

'What's hockey?' is an understatement in Miami. And tbh the poor guys from Canada would probably go up in flames living there. Florida isn't just hot it's so humid

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:25 PM
  #61
stlblues9
Registered User
 
stlblues9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,667
vCash: 50
Florida easily.

Florida would be better to live in and they're getting better. Detroit is on the decline. I think their playoff run will come to an end soon. They don't really have the players coming up that they used to. I know this has been said in the past but I just don't see much from Detroits youngsters as I do with Floridas. Florida easily.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:27 PM
  #62
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFan7 View Post
Florida easily.

Florida would be better to live in and they're getting better. Detroit is on the decline. I think their playoff run will come to an end soon. They don't really have the players coming up that they used to. I know this has been said in the past but I just don't see much from Detroits youngsters as I do with Floridas. Florida easily.
I remember that time Jurco outscored Huberdeau in the playoffs...

Somebody hasn't been paying attention to Detroit's drafting and development in the last few years...

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:29 PM
  #63
stlblues9
Registered User
 
stlblues9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
I remember that time Jurco outscored Huberdeau in the playoffs...

Somebody hasn't been paying attention to Detroit's drafting and development in the last few years...
I remember when Huberdeau is much better than Jurco...

Somebody hasn't been paying attention to hockey if they think otherwise.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:38 PM
  #64
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFan7 View Post
I remember when Huberdeau is much better than Jurco...

Somebody hasn't been paying attention to hockey if they think otherwise.
Which is just great, but if Jurco can hang with him statistically, apparently their prospect pool isn't flaming out like you claim it is.

And hell, Jurco's one of the lesser guys. Detroit's expecting much more from Nyquist and Jarnkrok, but maybe you haven't been paying attention to hockey enough to know that...

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:41 PM
  #65
zombi
I D D Q D
 
zombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Other than Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor, yes it is.


How ignorant...

zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:42 PM
  #66
stlblues9
Registered User
 
stlblues9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Which is just great, but if Jurco can hang with him statistically, apparently their prospect pool isn't flaming out like you claim it is.

And hell, Jurco's one of the lesser guys. Detroit's expecting much more from Nyquist and Jarnkrok, but maybe you haven't been paying attention to hockey enough to know that...
I highly doubt Jurco will be half the player Huberdeau is. Stop being a homer. Huberdeau is better than all 3 of those guys. Easily.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:44 PM
  #67
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,487
vCash: 500
Florida scares me man, too many gangsters and ****

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:45 PM
  #68
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFan7 View Post
I highly doubt Jurco will be half the player Huberdeau is. Stop being a homer. Huberdeau is better than all 3 of those guys. Easily.
Perhaps you could make use of basic reading skills and point out where I said any of them would be better than Huberdeau.

The point was, quite clearly, that your claim that Detroit isn't putting out high-talent players anymore is bull ****.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:48 PM
  #69
stlblues9
Registered User
 
stlblues9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Perhaps you could make use of basic reading skills and point out where I said any of them would be better than Huberdeau.

The point was, quite clearly, that your claim that Detroit isn't putting out high-talent players anymore is bull ****.
Perhaps you could make use of basic reading skills because what I said isn't what you're claiming I said.

I said I don't think Detroits youngsters will be as good as the players they have now (Datsyuk, Zetterberg) which is true, I just don't see the star quality of those players in them.

I then went on to say I don't think Detroits youngsters are as good as Floridas youngsters. Also true.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:52 PM
  #70
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFan7 View Post
Perhaps you could make use of basic reading skills because what I said isn't what you're claiming I said.

I said I don't think Detroits youngsters will be as good as the players they have now (Datsyuk, Zetterberg) which is true, I just don't see the star quality of those players in them.

I then went on to say I don't think Detroits youngsters are as good as Floridas youngsters. Also true.
Right, and because they aren't producing superstars (And that's still questionable for a few guys) they're going to fall out of the playoffs.

Probably nobody will end up better than Huberdeau in Detroit's pool. Aside from Huberdeau I'd take Nyquist and Jarnkrok over anybody Florida has. (Bjugstad might be close, too early to tell)

And please God cut the "true" crap after saying "I think". You clearly point out it's your opinion and then try to pass it off as truth.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:58 PM
  #71
stlblues9
Registered User
 
stlblues9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Right, and because they aren't producing superstars (And that's still questionable for a few guys) they're going to fall out of the playoffs.

Probably nobody will end up better than Huberdeau in Detroit's pool. Aside from Huberdeau I'd take Nyquist and Jarnkrok over anybody Florida has.

And please God cut the "true" crap after saying "I think". You clearly point out it's your opinion and then try to pass it off as truth.
Well Floridas youngsters are better than Detroits. True fact.

I would take Kulikov over anyone on Detroit. Markstrom too. After those 3 you can start considering Detroits lesser players.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:07 PM
  #72
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFan7 View Post
Well Floridas youngsters are better than Detroits. True fact.
False. That's your opinion. And you've done very little to back it up thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFan7 View Post
I would take Kulikov over anyone on Detroit. Markstrom too. After those 3 you can start considering Detroits lesser players.
I'm not even going to get into the fact that we're talking prospects and you just brought up a guy who has 200 NHL games under his belt...

And Markstrom, as a goalie, doesn't mean **** to me considering we have Howard. (And Mrazek is doing quite a bit better statistically this season)

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:15 PM
  #73
stlblues9
Registered User
 
stlblues9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
False. That's your opinion. And you've done very little to back it up thus far.



I'm not even going to get into the fact that we're talking prospects and you just brought up a guy who has 200 NHL games under his belt...

And Markstrom, as a goalie, doesn't mean **** to me considering we have Howard. (And Mrazek is doing quite a bit better statistically this season)
Yeah you're right, Wings. Detroit is superior in every way to every team,

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:27 PM
  #74
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFan7 View Post
Yeah you're right, Wings. Detroit is superior in every way to every team,
Good working making claims, failing to back them up, and then getting pissed because somebody called them out.

You started out claiming that Detroit's playoff streak would soon end (Which I can only assume is an absolute truth on account of the fact that it's your opinion) because their prospects aren't that great anymore. (Hint, nobody thought Datsyuk or Zetterberg would be superstars when they hit the league)

Then when I pointed out that somebody outscored Huberdeau in the playoffs, you proceeded to run him down, even though the point was being made that Detroit does still have high-potential prospects.

Then, when I started naming names, you tried to counter by bringing up a guy with quite a decent amount of NHL experience and a goaltending prospect, which means nothing considering Detroit already has a good goaltender in the NHL, and another in the AHL who's currently outperforming Markstrom.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:42 PM
  #75
stlblues9
Registered User
 
stlblues9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Good working making claims, failing to back them up, and then getting pissed because somebody called them out.

You started out claiming that Detroit's playoff streak would soon end (Which I can only assume is an absolute truth on account of the fact that it's your opinion) because their prospects aren't that great anymore. (Hint, nobody thought Datsyuk or Zetterberg would be superstars when they hit the league)

Then when I pointed out that somebody outscored Huberdeau in the playoffs, you proceeded to run him down, even though the point was being made that Detroit does still have high-potential prospects.

Then, when I started naming names, you tried to counter by bringing up a guy with quite a decent amount of NHL experience and a goaltending prospect, which means nothing considering Detroit already has a good goaltender in the NHL, and another in the AHL who's currently outperforming Markstrom.


In all seriousness, I respect what Detroit has been able to do over the past decade and a half. A teams luck can only run so far before players just don't pan out the way they hoped. Can these players be good? Absolutely, but I just don't see these players being able to carry the team. It severely hurt Detroit not getting any FAs this year and unless they are able to get some next year it will hurt even more. I just think (yes, my opinion, along with many others) that Huberdeau is going to be a stud. Detroit also has some really good teams in their division to contend with in the coming years. This, of course, depends on any realignment that may happen.

The thing is, is Zetterberg has already started to slow down a little bit and it's not like these players are going into a situation like Datsyuk and Zetterberg did. They went into stacked Detroit teams and learned how to win from the best. With these players coming in in the next few years, Detroit won't be that top team anymore and they may not learn the way those 2 players did (along with Lidstrom)

We'll see how they do, but it is of MY opinion, they they're going to struggle in the next few years and Florida is going to get better. I can't see the future, of course, but they just don't seem to have the same swagger?(for lack of a better word) than they used to.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.