HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Games where the score surprised you (then or now)

Old
12-29-2012, 01:40 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Games where the score surprised you (then or now)

Alright instead of doing the usual ones like the Miracle on Ice, let's try and do some other less famous and forgotten games. Inspired by today's strange 6-3 victory by Canada over Slovakia which looks fine on paper once Canada got their feet moving, but is deceptive when you look at the fact Slovakia had a 3-1 lead midway through the second period.

Canada beats USA 4-2 at 1976 Canada Cup - The kicker is they got an empty net goal from Sittler to boot. Canada had a 3-0 lead evaporate and somehow the Americans scored a couple and threatened by pulling the goalie. This was an American team with no one close to a star on their team and to have the score that close to a star studded bunch like Canada 1976 was strange. I have the game on tape and to be honest it just seems like they got lazy and too comfortable.

Canada beats Slovakia 3-2 in the 2010 Olympic semis - Again, Canada had a comfortable 3-0 lead with a stacked team like that. Slovakia is never a country that has anything to lose which is always something to fear and the game was painstakingly tight at the end with the Slovaks coming on strong to try and tie it. The late Pavol Demitra was on the left porch and if not for Luongo's glove getting a piece of the puck we had a tie game, and overtime. 3-2 win though, but man that was closer than it should have been. This was a time when I was wondering when Crosby was going to show up.

Game 1 of the 1979 final - Rangers win 4-1 in Montreal. I guess it isn't too strange considering Montreal might have still been worn out three days earlier from the Bruins classic Game 7. When you compare 1979 to the three previous years it had a different feel to it. These Habs were more fallible and they had Laroque starting Game 2 in favour of Dryden except he got hurt in warm up. Montreal bounced back of course.

NYI nearly coming back against Philly in 1975 - The Islanders already did the feat against Pittsburgh in the previous round, coming back from a 3-0 series deficit. But with the Broad Street Champs up 3-0 in the series they stormed back even winning a game in the Spectrum and forced a Game 7 which Philly won. Still, this was an Islander team with just Potvin and Chico Resch basically. No Bossy, no Trottier. Hard to believe they managed to put that much of a scare into the Flyers, although this was the series that Gillies beat up Schultz.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:43 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
Stack Shot Billy

First one that comes to mind for me was in the 1981 playoffs where Edmonton beat Montreal in games 1 and 2 in the Forum (5-1 and 3-1). They fired everything at Moog but he stood his ground. And the underrated Oilers put on a passing and goalscoring clinic. Game 3 was the only game of that series where you knew it would be over for Montreal. Edmonton had so much momentum.

Another was the 1979 Rangers/Islanders playoff series. That was a shocker. How that Rangers team beat that stacked Islanders team is a mystery. The Rangers looked so over matched by Montreal in the finals.

The first two games of the Pens/Bruins 1991 semi-final were surprising to me. I thought Pittsburgh had too much for the Bruins and eventually they showed it by winning 4 in a row to win the series. That was really a test for that Pens team to overcome the perennial playoff contender Bruins. I think they are thankful they started on the road that series. If they had lost the first 2 at home, the story might have been different.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Ed Wood

I was in attendence when the Montreal Canadiens and the Moscow Red Army played to a 3-3 tie on New Years Eve 1975. I believe the shots on net were 42-14 in Montreal's favour. A lot of people were muttering about Ken Dryden's performance on the way out of the building. Tretiak was awesome and the tie felt more like a loss because of the way the Habs dominated.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

I honestly dont remember this game but Canada beat Germany 3-2 in Salt Lake 2002 after they got blown out by Sweden in their opening game.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
I honestly dont remember this game but Canada beat Germany 3-2 in Salt Lake 2002 after they got blown out by Sweden in their opening game.
I remember it. This was the game after the Sweden game where Canada lost 5-2. It was understandable in hindsight. Canada barely practiced at all and the team wasn't a TEAM yet. So they play another sluggish game against a normally pesky German team. They were up 3-0 and looked to be in the driver's seat until a couple of German goals made it close at the end. I never thought I would be so relieved to hear the buzzer go against Germany, but I was. That team just hadn't bonded yet and a 3-2 win made the whole country uncomfortable.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Mighty Ducks of Anaheim 4, Detroit Red Wings 0.
I could scarcely have imagined that the Wings would lose, but in a sweep?
In retrospect, knowing that J.S. Giguère would turn out to be the Conn Smythe winner, and knowing what Mike Babcock would accomplish in Detroit, the result looks a little less surprising. But it's still got to be one of the most surprising results to a playoff series ever.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:13 PM
DJ Man

Thyere was a game in the 1960s when the doormat Boston Bruins beat the Stanley Cup champ Maple Leafs by a ridiculous 11-0 score.

DJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Two games I got to attend:

New England Whalers 5 Soviet Red Army 2

Hartford Whalers 11 Edmonton Oilers 0

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:40 PM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
I remember in 1998-99 there was a game in which the heavily defensive sabres and devils played to a 6-5 game .. shocking because everyone expected that to be 3 goals or less

also not so much the score but it may have either been that year or the next but the Red Wings and Avalanche had a penalty free game in the midst of their nasty rivalry.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:03 AM
nWo
New World Order

Each and every games the Islanders play the Red Wings since the 1st lock-out.

nWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:08 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWO View Post
Each and every games the Islanders play the Red Wings since the 1st lock-out.
Lol as an Islanders fan I never understand how Detroit constantly looks bad against us. I can see a team(especially one from the west) having an off game against us once in a blue moon but it's starting to become an annual thing that you think the team would be motivated not to lose again

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:55 AM
GuineaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Or Canada needing a shootout to beat Switzerland 3-2 in 2010...

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 07:43 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

In 1999 I went to Montreal to see a Habs/Canes matinee game on Superbowl weekend. Montreal outshot Carolina 45-10 (and held the Canes shotless in the third period, but lost 3-2. Arturs Irbe was in goal for Carolina and he was superhuman that afternoon - if anyone else was in net the Habs would've scored fifteen.

Another one that springs to mind is Buffalo's 7-6 victory over Ottawa in game 1 of the 2006 ECSF. These two usually don't combine for 13 goals over an entire series, let alone one game

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:16 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

When the Nordiques beat USSR 6-1 on January 8 1977. I had never felt such hockey euphoria. Took me a few days to descend from cloud nine.

dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:32 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Mario Lemiuex return game against the Leafs. Fate was on the pens side that night. They won 5-0 I think but the leafs hit like 7-8 posts on Snow

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:24 PM
eastcoaster

I remember this upset when it happened but it was so long ago I had to look it up for the details.

1976 World Championship

Poland 6 USSR 4

Details in the link

http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/the-ii.../story-39.html

eastcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:07 AM
ES

Blues (non playoff-team then) beating Red Wings 10-3 couple of years ago. Also Sharks beating Pens 10-8 in mid 1990s.

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:27 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Internationally an easy one because it was in my lifetime is Belarus-Sweden in the Olympics some years back. Plus Switzerland shutting out Canada in '06 with Gerber having the game of his life. I also remember there being a lot of surprise about the US beating Canada in the '96 World Cup 5-2 but I wasn't exactly following that first-hand.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:20 AM
Uncle Rotter

1976 (unoffical) World Junior Championships: Sweden 17 Canada 1
Canada would go to win Silver while Sweden would finish 5th & last
http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com...sweden-17.html

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:10 AM
kaiser matias

March 8, 2004. Avalanche vs Canucks. Final score: 9-2 Colorado.

This was the second game after the Moore hit on Naslund, but the first in Vancouver, so the atmosphere was tense, but it wasn't expected to be crazy. Especially after Matt Cooke fought Moore early in the game (full disclosure: I find it funny that the only time anyone defends Cooke as more than a pest and disgrace to the game is when that fight is brough up; however that is not the point here). However the game quickly got out of hand. Dan Cloutier was pulled after the fourth goal, fifteen minutes in. It was 5-0 after the first, and with two fights in addition to the Moore-Cooke tilt, it was obvious that something was going to go down.

Part of this, I believe, has to do with the fact that Moore fought Cooke, rather than any number of Canucks. Like I noted, Cooke is not known for being a tough player, so there were some who felt that Moore got off easy fighting him. With the game out of reach after 20 minutes, it seemed as if he would have to get into a second fight. The Canucks had a noted list of fighters on the team that night, including Brad May (who wound up with 47 PIM; didn't realise that until now), Wade Brookbank, Jarkko Ruutu (though he's more of a Cooke-type player), and obviously Bertuzzi.

The second period had only one redeming quality for the Canucks. Brad May scored two goal in less than a minute (couldn't believe it then, can't now) that were both assisted by Trevor Linden; those two points passed Linden ahead of Stan Smyl for the all-time points total in Canucks history. That should have been a bigger deal, and has largely been overshadowed by the rest of that game.

Finally, with the score 8-2 and the game long decided, well I'm sure we all know what happened next. Bertuzzi went out there, and started to follow Moore around, trying to goad him into a fight. Moore declined and at 8:41 of the third period Bertuzzi took a swing at him. The result saw 84 PIM handed out to both teams, the Canucks playoff hopes dashed, Bertuzzi's career changed forever, and Moore's career ended and his life significantly altered. On the ensuing Colorado powerplay, they scored their final goal, Hejduk's third of the night, to make it a 9-2 final.

That game shouldn't have been a 9-2 game. The Canucks were a good team still, and were fighting for the Northwest Division title, hoping to end Colorado's run of 9 straight titles (going back to their final year in Quebec). There was also thoughts that since both teams had already played once since the Moore hit, there would be no issues. But the combination of it being in Vancouver and a blowout against a heavily hated Avalanche team (even before this business), in my opinion, contributed to the whole sort of problems that ensued.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:05 AM
tjcurrie

1991 SCF game 6. Surprised, disappointed, and crushed little 12 year old boy.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:09 AM
Intact

2002 Colorado-Detroit game 7, Detroit wins 7-0, in the same vein Pittsburgh-Washington game 7 2009, Pittsburgh wins 6-2. Both series are absolute classics with anti-climactic game seven's with huge hype surrounding it.

Intact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:37 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

January 25, 2012 - Habs 7, Wings 2

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:50 AM
cynicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intact View Post
2002 Colorado-Detroit game 7, Detroit wins 7-0, in the same vein Pittsburgh-Washington game 7 2009, Pittsburgh wins 6-2. Both series are absolute classics with anti-climactic game seven's with huge hype surrounding it.
I was going to post this.

My contributions, the clinching game of the 2012 Cup Final. I wasn't expecting a blowout.

1993 Norris Division Final. Wasn't expecting the Leafs to win 6-0, especially given how superhuman Cujo had been at times.

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:16 PM
nWo
New World Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
January 25, 2012 - Habs 7, Wings 2
The only game of that night
Played before the all-star break
The Wings' lone goal scorer is now with Calgary.

About another one: In 2007, the Flyers were the worst team in the league and proceed to destroy the Wings 6-1.

nWo is offline   Reply With Quote