HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft) (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
For me, it was pretty obvious Yakupov and Gally were both going to be players at the NHL level, and while they play different games I think both will be dynamic players at the next level.

People stating they prefer Galchenyuk is fine with me, the only thing that bugs is when a few people claim the Oilers should have drafted him #1 overall.

This kid was coming off a major injury and didn't play, there was still a lot of risk associated with the pick. You simply can't pass on a guy with 50 goal potential that is the consensus #1 to take a a risk on a guy like Galchenyuk.

If the Oilers had a pick at #2 or lower, I would have lives taking him though because we saw his rookie year in the OHL and while its still a risk taking him at least we wouldn't be leaving a potential elite talent on the board.

Galchenyuk might be a better fit for the Oilers, but I think both players will be very good for their NHL teams.
No..he looks really good in a Habs jersey. Same for Yakupov, he's an Oiler and is going to be a perfect fit. Can't imagine Galchenyuk with another jersey than the Habs now lol

Old
12-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
For me, it was pretty obvious Yakupov and Gally were both going to be players at the NHL level, and while they play different games I think both will be dynamic players at the next level.

People stating they prefer Galchenyuk is fine with me, the only thing that bugs is when a few people claim the Oilers should have drafted him #1 overall.

This kid was coming off a major injury and didn't play, there was still a lot of risk associated with the pick. You simply can't pass on a guy with 50 goal potential that is the consensus #1 to take a a risk on a guy like Galchenyuk.

If the Oilers had a pick at #2 or lower, I would have lives taking him though because we saw his rookie year in the OHL and while its still a risk taking him at least we wouldn't be leaving a potential elite talent on the board.

Galchenyuk might be a better fit for the Oilers, but I think both players will be very good for their NHL teams.
TBH Yak is a great fit in EDM and Gally in MTL. MTL has been looking for that number 1 center for years and we finally have one in our pipeline. Gally would just be stuck behind RNH for the rest of his career and there would be less options on the wing. Yak will mesh perfectly with RNH. Good pick for EDM IMO.

Old
12-27-2012, 11:41 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
TBH Yak is a great fit in EDM and Gally in MTL. MTL has been looking for that number 1 center for years and we finally have one in our pipeline. Gally would just be stuck behind RNH for the rest of his career and there would be less options on the wing. Yak will mesh perfectly with RNH. Good pick for EDM IMO.
Actually all things being equal, the Oilers could use a center more then a winger. I rather have Yakupov then Galy but putting him(or Eberle) on the second line is not optimal use of their talents. All that being said I think the Oilers made the right choice, Galy might end up a better player but odds say Yakupov will be the better player.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:19 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Habs fans, if the season gets underway do you expect him to make the team as a mid line winger?
If this were a full year, I'd say probably not. But considering we're looking at a half-season at best and he's already dominated the OHL in the first half, I would say there's a pretty good chance of it.

Especially if Bourque is still injured, which he might well be.

Hell if Plekanec's injury has any degree of seriousness to it he might be our second-line center.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:16 PM
JesusBouillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Actually all things being equal, the Oilers could use a center more then a winger. I rather have Yakupov then Galy but putting him(or Eberle) on the second line is not optimal use of their talents. All that being said I think the Oilers made the right choice, Galy might end up a better player but odds say Yakupov will be the better player.
As far as talent goes you need to give the nod to Yakupov, the thing that would scare me about him is his attitude. I'd be afraid he pulls a Radulov given how much money KHL teams will throw at him.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:08 PM
bruinsfan46

You play for who you want to play for. The only ones that I have an issue with are the Brett Hull mercenary types. Galchenyuk could have played for Russia or US, he chose US. It's his choice.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:22 PM
oilers92

wasn't xavier ouellet born and raised in france for the first bit of his life, if the kid feels Canadian he is as far as im concerned same goes for galchenyuk

Old
12-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
OFF-TOPIC. The guy is American and he has demonstrated that on many occasions.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:56 PM
flyers28giroux

I don't know why people are still complaining about Galchenyuk playing for the US. He was born in Milwaukee, sure he didn't live here his whole life but he traveled with his father who was still playing professional hockey around the world at the time. He surrendered his Russian passport, he considers himself to be an American and seems pretty committed to helping the US win gold, that's all that really counts.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:04 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post
As far as talent goes you need to give the nod to Yakupov, the thing that would scare me about him is his attitude. I'd be afraid he pulls a Radulov given how much money KHL teams will throw at him.
He already comes from a wealthy family, so I doubt money has a huge influence on him. He moved his entire family down to Edmonton. I'd say he's committed.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
You play for who you want to play for. The only ones that I have an issue with are the Brett Hull mercenary types. Galchenyuk could have played for Russia or US, he chose US. It's his choice.
Mercenary type? Hey Hull, sorry kid, you ain't good enough for team Canada. Go try to play for team USA, maybe you suck enough for them.

It's not like Canada wasn't his first choice. He was denied and took an opportunity that rose. I would have done the same.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:25 AM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
Mercenary type? Hey Hull, sorry kid, you ain't good enough for team Canada. Go try to play for team USA, maybe you suck enough for them.

It's not like Canada wasn't his first choice. He was denied and took an opportunity that rose. I would have done the same.
That's what I mean mercenary type, he made his choice but since he wasn't invited to World Championship camp he switched countries. Maybe I worded it wrong but that's exactly the type I have a problem with. Only switching from your original choice because you can't make one particular team. Otherwise make your own personal choice and go for it.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:11 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
If this were a full year, I'd say probably not. But considering we're looking at a half-season at best and he's already dominated the OHL in the first half, I would say there's a pretty good chance of it.

Especially if Bourque is still injured, which he might well be.

Hell if Plekanec's injury has any degree of seriousness to it he might be our second-line center.
Bourque must be healthy by now

He was out 8 to 12 weeks (starting august 29th)

Old
12-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post

That's what he said,

Old
01-02-2013, 02:24 AM
Mr. Hab

Galchy has not been playing his best hockey but is still 2nd in points at the WJC.

Hopefully USA and Galchy will do well and win against the Czech Republic.

I really want to see a Can vs Usa final (or one of Can or Usa vs Russia final).

Old
01-02-2013, 02:28 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Galchenyuk will make the Habs top 6 fairly easily. He is simply that good as a winger right now that can be eased into the center role.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:43 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Galchenyuk has progressed a tremendous amount since his draft year. You can tell how hard this kid works on his game. His skating and strength have improved leaps and bounds. He has also shown improvement in his wrist shot and puckhandling - the kid's confidence is now through the roof, where it was a bit lower after the injury.

If he continues to progress, we could see a real elite player coming to the NHL. He's got a very Malkin-esque swagger about him. He's definitely progressed a good bit more than Yakupov since being drafted. I've been very impressed.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:03 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
Galchenyuk has progressed a tremendous amount since his draft year. You can tell how hard this kid works on his game. His skating and strength have improved leaps and bounds. He has also shown improvement in his wrist shot and puckhandling - the kid's confidence is now through the roof, where it was a bit lower after the injury.

If he continues to progress, we could see a real elite player coming to the NHL. He's got a very Malkin-esque swagger about him. He's definitely progressed a good bit more than Yakupov since being drafted. I've been very impressed.
It's not about him progressing...Galchenyuk is simply playing. He's always had a great shot and tremendous puckhandling.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:14 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post

I agree, he's got the swagger especially with the way he's dominated the O this year, but I think were going to see him start on the wing when he first enters the league. Kind of like what the bruins are doing with Seguin

Old
01-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Galchenyuk uses a wide base when moving through traffic, it allows him to be mobile while strong on the puck. It is so reminiscent of Hossa with the puck. Yakupov doesn't seem to move east to west as well, he tries to use pure speed to get past defenders. Personally I like Galchenyuk's game much better although neither has played their best this tourney.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Canuck71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
He already comes from a wealthy family, so I doubt money has a huge influence on him. He moved his entire family down to Edmonton. I'd say he's committed.
He never came from a wealthy family, and his family was basically living off his sponsors cheques he was getting every month.. He was making enough off that for them to have a middle class house in a nice neighbourhood in Sarnia. I can only imagine he is their only support of income at the moment.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:01 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Old
01-14-2013, 07:19 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
2nd goal on price was better IMO

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/843517/clip/402

Old
01-14-2013, 10:24 PM
smokes lets go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
He never came from a wealthy family, and his family was basically living off his sponsors cheques he was getting every month.. He was making enough off that for them to have a middle class house in a nice neighbourhood in Sarnia. I can only imagine he is their only support of income at the moment.
and right now it's more than enough, good for Yakupov and his family.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
Lol @ how he left Cole hanging a good 3-4 seconds

Closed Thread