HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Old
12-28-2012, 12:52 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

vCash: 500
For the what's next portion of this, I just picked up a pro stock RS2 from PSHG. I usually lean Bauer because of past bad experience with an Easton blade going soft fairly quickly and what I've read on reviews. Going to try it out again as I also wanted to go back to a low kick point.

I'm hoping for the best with the updated blade.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:26 AM
OpenIceHit42

Made the switch from Easton and I've been using Warrior AK27's (bought quite a few at once from HM) for about a year and been a big fan but I'm thinking about making the jump to Bauer.

Pattern wise, I love the Kopitar/Draper Warrior pattern or the Hall/Sakic Easton pattern. I've tried the Getzlaf Easton pattern and quickly put that aside. Puck was leaving my stick weird.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Doog:

Check out the big stick sticky up top for advice on putting combos together.

Here's a video that might help as well:

I have a Base blade I really like but got away from the Drury curve so I don't use it much. They seem very good for the money and fairly durable. Puck feel is excellent and they are light weight as well. I wouldn't get the shark skin again though, it's annoying.

Dynasty blades are probably the best value for retail composites and should be fairly solid with good feel and balance.

Easton tapered wood blades are pretty good too, especially if you get them for under $25. Fairly durable for wood, very light, not as stiff as comp but not bad.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:51 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Doog:

Check out the big stick sticky up top for advice on putting combos together.

Here's a video that might help as well:

I have a Base blade I really like but got away from the Drury curve so I don't use it much. They seem very good for the money and fairly durable. Puck feel is excellent and they are light weight as well. I wouldn't get the shark skin again though, it's annoying.

Dynasty blades are probably the best value for retail composites and should be fairly solid with good feel and balance.

Easton tapered wood blades are pretty good too, especially if you get them for under $25. Fairly durable for wood, very light, not as stiff as comp but not bad.

Thanks for the vid. Ended up grabbing the apx blade lol. Most of it was Christmas $ so I figured I'd get what I could and experiment more later

Last edited by do0glas: 12-28-2012 at 10:58 AM.
do0glas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:08 PM
AIREAYE

I'm looking to get another tapered blade, just to try a new curve. Harrow used to have a very generous 30% off deal with MSH members a few months back, but no longer. Those blades were going for about $35. If they still have that now, I'd grab one immediately.

Oh and if anyone has a Dolo Vanek blade in left, let me know!

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

AIR, have you used Base yet? They have some interesting pro curves.

I know at one point I had five Harrow blades and two Harrow shafts but man the blades are too heavy for me.

What do you normally use?

Old
12-28-2012, 10:45 PM
AIREAYE

Haven't seen any hint of Base here in Toronto, heard a lot about those guys obviously.

Currently, my favorite curves are the Vanek and P106. I would love to have a P106 clone in a slightly lower lie. I'm looking at the Base database and I'm intrigued by the Pro Custom Salvador. I'm not good at looking at curves online but that looks the closest to a P106 to me.

Wouldn't mind giving the Iginla clone a go, or a P92 in a lie 5 or 4.

Currently trying a Burrows Dynasty in a 75 flex Dolo shaft. First 2 piece combo haha. I have enough sticks though that blades can wait. I don't play enough to ever get fully adjusted to any of my sticks in particular haha.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If USPS didn't **** for shipping I'd offer my 4.75 lie Drury...

That Base BC09 blade looks interesting for us lefties.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:54 AM
AIREAYE

Looks like a mid wedge, deadly.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Devil Dancer

I picked up a HOckeyTron 405 intermediate on sale for around $85. The weight is pretty fantastic, as it's as light as my Sherwood Nexon n12. I haven't played with it enough to get a good feel for it yet. It's a backup anyway, so no worries if I end up hating it.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Think my 55 flex is just too much. I've been missing the net by ridiculous amounts. Switch to the comparatively heavy and crappy Nexus 600 60 flex and I hit the corners.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:13 PM
RalphWiggum

Quote:
Think my 55 flex is just too much. I've been missing the net by ridiculous amounts. Switch to the comparatively heavy and crappy Nexus 600 60 flex and I hit the corners.
If you can get your hands on one I'd definitely try out the Nexus 1000. Great, clean release on writsters and snap shots. More natural feel than the total one and not as bouncy as the vapor (although I've only used the x60 not the apx).

RalphWiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Stickchecked

Stuuuuuuupid question but here goes:

Is there any reason to not store my sticks in the garage during winter? Can extended cold hurt them? There is a pseudo stick rack in the garage and it just makes it easy to store them there when un/loading the car.

I've done it for years and never noticed a problem but we're looking at a couple of days at <5 degrees F here in Ottawa so I figured I would ask.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 09:21 PM
AIREAYE

I wouldn't ever do it. Although I personally haven't had a bad experience (because I don't store them in the garage lol), common sense would reveal that there is a good chance the changing temperatures will lead to damage to the resins/foams/composite fibers that, while likely never visible, could lead to problems and breakage.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:39 PM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
I have left my sticks in my car most of the season and that was when I was living in Prince George...never had a stick durability issue either. Now I'm on damp west coast, store my sticks in garage and still have no issues

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:31 AM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
Stuuuuuuupid question but here goes:

Is there any reason to not store my sticks in the garage during winter? Can extended cold hurt them? There is a pseudo stick rack in the garage and it just makes it easy to store them there when un/loading the car.

I've done it for years and never noticed a problem but we're looking at a couple of days at <5 degrees F here in Ottawa so I figured I would ask.
Hockey is a winter sport that many people play outdoors. It would be pretty absurd if a hockey stick couldn't handle being in the cold.

LarryO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
Hockey is a winter sport that many people play outdoors. It would be pretty absurd if a hockey stick couldn't handle being in the cold.
That was always my thinking.

I guess it's not as stupid a question as I thought.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Miken Z9, what's the good word?

They're on clearance and supposedly have a P14 clone that I'd like to try.

I know the guys on Mod Squad raved about them, anyone here used one?

Old
01-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...if Miken is putting in the same time and effort into their RD with hockey sticks that they do with their bats, then you'll be getting a quality stick.

Where's it on sale Jarick? online?

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Total Hockey, so both

Old
01-07-2013, 03:19 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Miken Z9, what's the good word?

They're on clearance and supposedly have a P14 clone that I'd like to try.

I know the guys on Mod Squad raved about them, anyone here used one?
Gave it a try a month ago, bp14 70 flex. Reminded me very much of my x60 75 flex int(even the shaft dimensions seemed to be identical), but considerably less pingy and a bit more balanced.

Unfortunately, I much prefer the t1 75 flex int I snapped last season in just over a month of play...been looking for something similar ever since but with better durability.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Ahhh, you just sold me.

75 flex intermediate X:60 was my favorite stick ever!

Old
01-07-2013, 04:05 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Keep in mind miken is still running their 10 day guarantee as well. Since I wasn't thrilled with it, I sent it back to TH for store credit.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Picked up the stick, $79 on clearance. Miken Z9 in 65 flex with BP14 curve.

It's not quite as light as the Warrior DT-2 or my old X:60, but it's still fairly light and the balance is good. Shaft shape is a lot like the Vapor, maybe just a hair thicker than the intermediate Vapors, which is good IMO. Grip seems fine, almost like a rubbery finish.

Graphics are a little meh overall, the font and logo looks cheesy and the half-painted blade looks cheap and dated like the old Reebok sticks. But I do think from a distance with white tape on the blade it looks sharp.

Flexes are pretty interesting. I first tried a 70 flex senior and gripped down about 8" and it still flexed a bit. Then grabbed a 90 flex and yeah I couldn't get it to move. So those flexes all seem very accurate and useful.

Of course mine is a 65 flex intermediate and I cut about 4-5" off. Miken says the bottom part of the stick is stiffer and to me it feels like it flexes/kicks in the middle, a lot like a Total One. Very comfortable feeling.

Blade feel is tricky to figure out. It felt more solid and connected than the DT-2 (likely because it's closer to 2-piece construction) but the blade face felt a bit hotter. Curve shape is less forgiving of course. We'll see how it does with pucks.

The BP14 pattern seems like something I will enjoy. I compared it to a P92 and basically it's like you took the same blade, but made it a bit flatter on the bottom from a shooting position so the whole blade is on the ice at once rather than just a bit.

Didn't get much of a chance to shoot with it except some street hockey pucks in my basement, but the pucks were flying dead flat right where I was aiming, rather than the P92 sticks where it was a little unpredictable. Hard to describe, but...when I'm taking a wrist shot, I cup over the blade, then as I'm firing, open it, then snap it closed at the release. With the P92, that results in a lot less blade on the ice while shooting when open. With this one, it seems to maintain contact with the ice. So you feel less like you're losing contact and then snapping the puck and more like you're holding and firing it.

So yeah...first impressions are very positive nearly all around. It seems very much like the kind of stick I'd describe if someone offered to design one for me. I really want to see how it kicks with pucks and how the curve works in game situations.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:19 AM
izzy3

My Dolo died on my last time when practicing one-timers, so went down to the basement and dig out my CCM CL.

I have to say wow. When I got my RS I kinda tossed this, as the RS was that much better in all areas, at least that's what I thought then. Well, seems I either improved that much this season or my preferences changed, but the lively blade of the CL is really useful when weaving through the opposing players head up, and I really like the way it shoots, seems to have a lot more pop than the RS had. I kinda feared using it as I broke my Dolo just before our league game, but now I am really looking forward to growing with it. Even thinking about getting an RBZ should this break on me.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote