HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ESPN - 10 ways for NHL to recover from lockout

Old
12-29-2012, 04:27 PM
MISC*
Negged.

vCash: 500
How about the league/owners lower ticket, drink and merch prices?

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:06 PM
tony d
Follow your Nose

A lot of great ideas. #6 especially. No way should we still be playing hockey in June.

12-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Shootmaster_44

I'm against #6. I wish hockey would never end. Quite honestly, I like hockey when it is nice out. It is nice to sit watching the game with the windows open and a nice warm breeze. I also much, much prefer attending games when it is nice out. I'd much rather attend a game wearing shorts, than having to wear a parka and toque and sit in a cold car following a game.

Sometimes I think I really should be living in Los Angeles instead of nearish Edmonton lol.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:15 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 135
Love #9 but highly improbable.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Love #9 but highly improbable.
The major basis for current realignment is coast to coast traveling. I can't wait to see how they'd sell Anaheim @ Moscow, airing at 3:30 A.M.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:55 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
From OTTERS 2 OILERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
How about the league/owners lower ticket, drink and merch prices?
Was going to post the same thing, and not by a little bit either, i would say 40-50%, especially ticket prices, and not just for the 1st year either, for the whole length of the CBA.

Guarantee it wont happen though, even if (or when) the owners get everything they want out of this CBA, and salaries go down, prices wont reflect that...i cant believe how all sports can think that the players salaries' and ticket prices are even remotely sustainable in any way, especially with the economy the way it's been the last few years. Sports are apparently only for the 'elite' nowadays, the average person or family cant afford to go to many (if any) games anymore.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

I actually like a lot of them.

9 was dumb though, and not a big fan of 3 either.

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Banana Sandwiches

1. That would be great. It would certainly let the fans know that the NHL would be trying to do something to make it right for them and that they at least somewhat care about the fans.

2. I really don't care about re-alignment. My re-alignment consists of switching Winnipeg and Columbus.

3. I'd only want that if there are two teams that are tied for 8th with the same number of points (eliminating the win tie breaker), similar to 2009 with Montreal and Florida both finishing with 93 points. But if an 8th place team finishes with 92 points and a 9th place team finishes with 80 points, then a "play-in" just sounds dumb.

4. I sort of like the World Cup of Hockey and would like to see it come back. However, I enjoyed watching it in August during the most boring part of the off-season.

5. I rather see 10 minutes of 4 on 4 OT. More than likely, a goal will be scored in those 10 minutes. Then if no one scores, you go to a shootout. More games being decided by a team element, and you keep the shootout from becoming stale.

6. I'll be more than happy to have hockey go all the way into July. I never understood why people can't stand hockey being played in June.

7. I couldn't careless when if the off-season they want to move free agency. I really don't see how moving free agency 10 days or so earlier will have any real effect.

8. Doesn't really do much for me where the trades happen.

9. I don't like a Europe division at all. Let Europe have their own leagues. Plus, so many North Americans would probably refuse to play there. You'd be creating 6 more Edmonton's out there essentially. Only guys from the native country would want to play on a team in Europe.

10. I would love to have a 50 year CBA, let alone a 20 year one. But both seem pretty unrealistic.

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:47 AM
CoolForumNamePending

1) Would certainly be a nice gesture.

2) They need to do something. Having Winnipeg in the Southeast doesn't make any sense. Looking back the way the whole realignment thing went down was weird and as it turned out a pretty good hint at how ugly things were going to get.

3) Hate it!!! 16--->8--->4--->2--->1 works perfectly and do we really need to devalue the regular season even more?

4) If you want to bring legitimacy to the event may I suggest not having the NHL/NHLPA organize it.

5) Sort of indifferent to this. I guess I am fine with the way things are now. When it comes to rewarding points though I would like to see the NHL use the system used in Europe and IIHF tournaments:

Regulation Win - 3 Points
OT/SO win - 2 points
OT/SO loss - 1 point
Regulation loss - 0 points

I think this would encourage more teams to try to end the game in 60 minutes instead of playing for a regulation tie. I think it could lead to some excitement later in the season when teams need as many points as possible.

6) Having things wrapped up by May 31 sounds great but I don't see it happening. I think beginning the season earlier is a non-starter for owners of American based teams because it means more of the NHL season is going up against baseball and football. Also as someone else said not sure how this is going to work when adding another 10-14(?) day tournament in the middle of the season every 4th year.

7 & 8) Sure why not. Trade Deadline day and the beginning of free agency doesn't exactly make my heart race and I certainly don't plan my day around it but for people who do I can see this creating some additional buzz.

9) I am always amazed how NA based hockey media, even guys who seem thoughtful and level headed like LeBrun, frequently come off as clueless when it comes to hockey in Europe. Ignoring the logistical issues do people believe fans in the mentioned cities (and the countries they are in) would start supporting a new team (at most likely a far greated cost) just because it has an NHL label on it? The NHL isn't a one size fits all deal. Just because there might be more hockey fans in Helsinki or Prague than in Raleigh or South Florida doesn't mean the NHL would work better in the former.

10) Labour stability sounds great but I don't see this happening. If we are going to be unrealistic Why not suggest having a 50 or even a 100 year deal?

CoolForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:12 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO to 3 on 3 overtime. 4 on 4 overtime for TEN minutes. It's some of the most exciting hockey out there. Change the point structure to 2 pts for a regulation, overtime, shootout win. Zero points for a regulation loss, one point for an overtime loss, and ZERO points for a shootout loss. That would make sure both teams play to win in overtime to make sure they don't lose a point.
interesting idea about the points, i haven't seen that one before. would bad shootout teams score on themselves at the end of overtime to get that point?

i don't like the three points for a win, i feel that it makes the spread too large. i don't see anything wrong with some games being two points and some being three, i feel that people that have a problem with it are nitpicking. it makes things really close and exciting come the end of the season.

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:34 AM
NORY

season should start early september. maybe somone can tell me why it doesnt.

when he talks about a euro division, i assume the only time euro teams would play NA teams would be playoffs.

NORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORY View Post
season should start early september. maybe somone can tell me why it doesnt.

when he talks about a euro division, i assume the only time euro teams would play NA teams would be playoffs.
I think it is tradition. Back in the 50s and earlier (maybe even into the 60s) most players had off season jobs. Since a good portion of them were labour jobs, the season had to start once the good weather for outdoor labour jobs were over. So September was usually a wash with the first half of the month being off-season jobs and training camp would kick off about the second last week of September. I guess if it ain't broke why fix it, is the reason why it is still this schedule.

As far as realignment goes, I would prefer to see the teams revert to the Smythe, Adams, Norris and Patrick divisional lineups. Filter in the newer expansion teams and make a couple changes for franchises that have moved and you're set.

Patrick Division
Florida
New Jersey
Islanders
Rangers
Philly
Pittsburgh
Tampa (move from Norris)
Washington

Adams
Boston
Buffalo
Carolina (Hartford)
Columbus
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto (move from Norris)

Norris
Chicago
Dallas (Minnesota)
Detroit
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Smythe
Anaheim
Calgary
Colorado (Quebec, move from Adams)
Edmonton
LA
Phoenix (Winnipeg)
San Jose
Vancouver

I also say revert the playoff system to the old way. Top 4 from each division are in: 1 v 4, 2 v 3, winners play each other, the division winners play each other and the conference winners play each other. Made a heck of a lot more sense than the top 8 from a conference are in with the whole reseeding and no clear bracket. It made the playoffs way more intense because you would play in your division a lot more than out of your division. Bitter rivalries carried over into the playoffs.

Take my Kings playoff run.
1st Round:
Norris: St. Louis vs. Chicago, Nashville vs. Detroit
Smythe: Vancouver vs. LA, Phoenix vs. San Jose
Adams: Boston vs. Carolina, Ottawa vs. Buffalo
Patrick: Rangers vs. New Jersey, Pittsburgh vs. Philly

2nd Round
Norris: St. Louis vs. Nashville
Smythe: LA vs. Phoenix
Adams: Boston vs. Ottawa
Patrick: New Jersey vs. Philly

3rd Round
Campbell: St. Louis vs. LA
Wales: New Jersey vs. Boston

Finals
LA vs. New Jersey

Under this scenario Washington and Florida loses out while Buffalo and Carolina get in. But it would create instantly more intense series. There are more rivalries inside your division than outside and that makes for better playoff hockey. Not saying that all playoffs are lackluster, but there are generally a few stinker first round series. This would fix that problem.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:59 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomtemperature View Post
I don't understand people's love of that stupid realignment that the NHL proposed.
I don't either.

Considering that I created a realignment that shuffles up the teams and harkens back to the days when divisions were named after people, not geography.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:21 PM
NORY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
I think it is tradition. Back in the 50s and earlier (maybe even into the 60s) most players had off season jobs. Since a good portion of them were labour jobs, the season had to start once the good weather for outdoor labour jobs were over. So September was usually a wash with the first half of the month being off-season jobs and training camp would kick off about the second last week of September. I guess if it ain't broke why fix it, is the reason why it is still this schedule.

As far as realignment goes, I would prefer to see the teams revert to the Smythe, Adams, Norris and Patrick divisional lineups. Filter in the newer expansion teams and make a couple changes for franchises that have moved and you're set.

Patrick Division
Florida
New Jersey
Islanders
Rangers
Philly
Pittsburgh
Tampa (move from Norris)
Washington

Adams
Boston
Buffalo
Carolina (Hartford)
Columbus
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto (move from Norris)

Norris
Chicago
Dallas (Minnesota)
Detroit
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Smythe
Anaheim
Calgary
Colorado (Quebec, move from Adams)
Edmonton
LA
Phoenix (Winnipeg)
San Jose
Vancouver

I also say revert the playoff system to the old way. Top 4 from each division are in: 1 v 4, 2 v 3, winners play each other, the division winners play each other and the conference winners play each other. Made a heck of a lot more sense than the top 8 from a conference are in with the whole reseeding and no clear bracket. It made the playoffs way more intense because you would play in your division a lot more than out of your division. Bitter rivalries carried over into the playoffs.

Take my Kings playoff run.
1st Round:
Norris: St. Louis vs. Chicago, Nashville vs. Detroit
Smythe: Vancouver vs. LA, Phoenix vs. San Jose
Adams: Boston vs. Carolina, Ottawa vs. Buffalo
Patrick: Rangers vs. New Jersey, Pittsburgh vs. Philly

2nd Round
Norris: St. Louis vs. Nashville
Smythe: LA vs. Phoenix
Adams: Boston vs. Ottawa
Patrick: New Jersey vs. Philly

3rd Round
Campbell: St. Louis vs. LA
Wales: New Jersey vs. Boston

Finals
LA vs. New Jersey

Under this scenario Washington and Florida loses out while Buffalo and Carolina get in. But it would create instantly more intense series. There are more rivalries inside your division than outside and that makes for better playoff hockey. Not saying that all playoffs are lackluster, but there are generally a few stinker first round series. This would fix that problem.
I like it, i think having those divisions back will create a good buzz for the NHL, anything retro is in now a days. Plus strengthening rivalries is always good for the game.

NORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Cotton McKnight
BLUESBLUESBLUESBLUES

1, 2, 4, 10 and 1 again.

Cotton McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dan View Post
A play in round? da hell man if your lower than 8th seed then GTFO. No one wants a play in round for the mediocre you had 82 games thats it

Also the realignment is really stupid. It's like the MLB where they have a 6 team division and a 4 team division, that's completely fair and not a stupid idea at all
If the 4 Conference realignment happens, make it so that seeds with more points play seeds with less points but are in 4th place in other conferences. Or just have 4th play 5th in each division, why not. Make that last team deserve to be in the big show.

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
The major basis for current realignment is coast to coast traveling. I can't wait to see how they'd sell Anaheim @ Moscow, airing at 3:30 A.M.
pretty much

and the players would never agree to a European division..

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:12 PM
icKx
Subtle interference

1 and 2 are the only ones that would engender any good will from me as a fan -- and in the case of realignment only if Detroit moves to the East.

Some totally unrealistic crap on that list but hey 10 is a round number and sounds official so I guess he had to really stretch.

icKx is online now   Reply With Quote