HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Better Goalie Duo Round 1(#4 Luongo/Schneider vs #5 Halak/Elliot)

View Poll Results: Which goalie duo would you rather have for one season?
Luongo/Schneider 80 78.43%
Halak/Elliot 22 21.57%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-24-2012, 10:15 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Ill take last years jennings winners

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
fwiw schneiders stats are inflated by him playing all the non-playoff teams.

even so, having taken that into account... still canucks tandem
No it's not. I can remember off the top of my head he played BOS, CHI and SJS. He may have played SJS/CHI twice. I forgot. There's probably a few more. He played NSH for sure. I do think his sv% would go down, but based on last season I think he would of have a 930ish sv% as a full starter.

Checked. NJD, CHI, NSH, SJS, PHX, OTT, CHI, STL, DET. He also played a bunch of teams who just missed the playoffs like BUF/WPG/COL.

Even better sv% vs LA in the playoffs.

Fun fact: Schneider played Colorado 3 times and got 3 shutouts.

Last edited by Luuuongo: 12-24-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
I hate Luongo and the Canucks

HOWEVER

Halak is one of the most overrated goalies and Elliott, although I do like him, is unable to step up at crunch time

This is an easy vote for Luongo and Schneider

Last edited by The Head Crusher: 12-24-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:36 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lboogie42 View Post
Rules:vote for which goalie duo you would rather have for one season.
Note: please just vote for whichever duo u would rather have because of the way they play. Don't bring up anything about off ice activities or things that don't really relate
I am an Oiler fan , so i have no love for the Canucks . I would still take the canucks duo AINEC

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Ill take last years jennings winners
And I'll take the 2010/2011 Jennings winning goalies.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:04 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
fwiw schneiders stats are inflated by him playing all the non-playoff teams.

even so, having taken that into account... still canucks tandem
Well his stats were ungodly last year, so it's expected they would be a bit inflated, however I don't think the quality of teams plays as much of a factor as you claim.

Schneider had a 0.9388 SV% against non-playoff teams and a 0.9324 SV% against playoff teams. Since he faced more non-playoff teams than playoff teams he finished the season with an aggregate 0.9365 SV%. If we were to weight the playoff/non-playoff SV% stats evenly, the aggregate works out to 0.9356 SV%, or 0.0009% different than his real stats.

TL;DR Schneider's (lack of) strength of schedule only inflated his save percentage by 0.0009% from an even playoff/non-playoff split.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

What a joke. Both Schneider and Luongo are better than Halak and Elliot.

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 09:30 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

The hate that Halak gets is very amusing.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
While I agree Halak is fairly underrated, any hate he gets is microscopic in comparison to the hate Luongo gets.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
LOL

Try being a Luongo fan, then we'll talk.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:49 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
What hate? So far this thread one person called him overrated, one person said he stole Price's job cause Price was playing awful, and one person said he'd like to see Halak put up those numbers in another system.

I think you're being a bit overly sensitive here.

Old
12-25-2012, 09:18 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
What hate? So far this thread one person called him overrated, one person said he stole Price's job cause Price was playing awful, and one person said he'd like to see Halak put up those numbers in another system.

I think you're being a bit overly sensitive here.
The hate in this thread. People in here are acting like Halak is nowhere close to Schnieder or Luongo in terms of ability. When in reality, Halak is a very good goalie that is being very underrated here. Look what he did with Montreal the playoffs a few years ago, and look what he did with Slovakia in the Olympics. He plays extremely well in crunch time when you can't really say the same about the other two.

Sure, Luongo has an Olympic Gold and went to the Stanley Cup finals, but look at the teams in front of him. Canada was absolutely stacked, it wasn't like Luongo stole the show, I was on edge with him in the net. I definitely thought he should have been in there cause I would have been on edge with either of the other two, but thats besides the point. Halak has stolen his teams games. Luongo (and Schneider yet) haven't.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
The hate in this thread. People in here are acting like Halak is nowhere close to Schnieder or Luongo in terms of ability. When in reality, Halak is a very good goalie that is being very underrated here. Look what he did with Montreal the playoffs a few years ago, and look what he did with Slovakia in the Olympics. He plays extremely well in crunch time when you can't really say the same about the other two.

Sure, Luongo has an Olympic Gold and went to the Stanley Cup finals, but look at the teams in front of him. Canada was absolutely stacked, it wasn't like Luongo stole the show, I was on edge with him in the net. I definitely thought he should have been in there cause I would have been on edge with either of the other two, but thats besides the point. Halak has stolen his teams games. Luongo (and Schneider yet) haven't.
Don't discredit my goalies.... But I'll totally discredit yours.

It's obvious that you have no clue what your talking about when it comes to Luongo & Schneider stealing games because that's ALL they did last year from January onward. In fact they stole us that 2nd Presidents trophy while NYR & that other team couldn't lock it down! My memory is fuzzy as to who that top team in the West was & who their goalies were

As for the Olympics I seem to remember Luongo making a game saving save against the Slovaks... I also love the casual "sure Luongo is an Olympic Gold Medalist & has played for the Stanley Cup, but..."

Old
12-25-2012, 11:23 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Don't discredit my goalies.... But I'll totally discredit yours.

It's obvious that you have no clue what your talking about when it comes to Luongo & Schneider stealing games because that's ALL they did last year from January onward. In fact they stole us that 2nd Presidents trophy while NYR & that other team couldn't lock it down! My memory is fuzzy as to who that top team in the West was & who their goalies were

As for the Olympics I seem to remember Luongo making a game saving save against the Slovaks... I also love the casual "sure Luongo is an Olympic Gold Medalist & has played for the Stanley Cup, but..."
Luongo has played on MUCH better teams than Halak has. Canada is much better than Slovakia and Vancouver has a much better team than St. Louis. If Halak was on Vancouver, they would have still won the Presidents trophy and had Halak been on Canada, they still would have won Gold.

I'm not saying Schneider and Luongo are bad goalies, but I'm saying that they haven't stole big games like Halak has in the past. In the Stanley Cup Finals, Vancouver got blown out in 3 of those games and the final game wasn't really close either. When he played for Canada he didn't have to be an elite goalie, he just had to be competent. When Halak played for Montreal, he had to be an elite goalie.

Old
12-25-2012, 11:46 PM
StringerBell

Quote:

Underrated does not equal hated. There's a pretty obvious difference between the two. The ironic part of your post is that, in response to the treatment of Halak which you took issue with, you proceeded to apply that same treatment to Luongo without even realizing your hypocrisy.

If you want to see other teams' fans 'pump Halak's tires' so to speak, I'll play along. Halak is a very good goalie, and the Blues are very lucky to have him as a part of their organization. However Luongo is a very good goalie too, so I'm not surprised that a majority of people have picked the Canucks' duo over the Blues'.

Old
12-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Luongo has played on MUCH better teams than Halak has. Canada is much better than Slovakia and Vancouver has a much better team than St. Louis. If Halak was on Vancouver, they would have still won the Presidents trophy and had Halak been on Canada, they still would have won Gold.

I'm not saying Schneider and Luongo are bad goalies, but I'm saying that they haven't stole big games like Halak has in the past. In the Stanley Cup Finals, Vancouver got blown out in 3 of those games and the final game wasn't really close either. When he played for Canada he didn't have to be an elite goalie, he just had to be competent. When Halak played for Montreal, he had to be an elite goalie.
Maybe Luongo is part of the reasons those teams are so good?.... No that can't be! Then someone would be giving him credit he deserves.

Luongo hasn't stolen big games? What do you call Game 1 & 5 of the SCF?

Seriously it's comical how much you're trying to talk up Halak & talk down Luongo & what he has done in/ for Vancouver.

Old
12-25-2012, 11:55 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Quote:

Luongo has played on an elite level before, such as:
- winning the 2007 playoff series vs the Dallas Stars, despite getting just 11 goals of support in 7 games. At one point Marty Turco at the other end even held the Canucks scoreless for 160 minutes.
- 37 saves in an OT win over the Czech Republic in 2004. The Czechs had been controlling play in OT until Lecavalier (or was it Martin St. Louis?) scored the game winner on Canada's first shot in OT.
- 46 saves in a 4-1 win over Calgary, followed by two consecutive 1-0 shutout wins to clinch the NW division title in 2009.
- 54 saves in a double-overtime win over the Sharks to take the Canucks to the finals in 2011. San Jose had a lot of chances in OT and at one point held the puck in the Canucks zone continuously for two minutes.
- As a Blues fan, I'm sure you remember Luongo giving up just 5 goals in 4 games to sweep St. Louis in 2009.

Keep in mind that until 2009-10, Luongo didn't actually have a great team in front of him.

Luongo's had his share of glorious moments too.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 11:57 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
And before anyone brands me a Halak hater, I do feel he's underrated on these boards. The playoffs with the Habs should be reason enough to convince those that think Hitchcock is the main reason he's a good goalie.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:09 AM
RDRR

Luongo hasn't stolen games?

RDRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:54 AM
stlblues9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
Luongo has played on an elite level before, such as:
- winning the 2007 playoff series vs the Dallas Stars, despite getting just 11 goals of support in 7 games. At one point Marty Turco at the other end even held the Canucks scoreless for 160 minutes.
- 37 saves in an OT win over the Czech Republic in 2004. The Czechs had been controlling play in OT until Lecavalier (or was it Martin St. Louis?) scored the game winner on Canada's first shot in OT.
- 46 saves in a 4-1 win over Calgary, followed by two consecutive 1-0 shutout wins to clinch the NW division title in 2009.
- 54 saves in a double-overtime win over the Sharks to take the Canucks to the finals in 2011. San Jose had a lot of chances in OT and at one point held the puck in the Canucks zone continuously for two minutes.
- As a Blues fan, I'm sure you remember Luongo giving up just 5 goals in 4 games to sweep St. Louis in 2009.

Keep in mind that until 2009-10, Luongo didn't actually have a great team in front of him.

Luongo's had his share of glorious moments too.
Okay, you're right. I guess I've been letting HFboards get into my head a little bit and have forgotten most of what he has accomplished. He has had his fair share of struggles recently though, and I guess that was just too fresh on my mind.

I guess my point in all of this is Halak shouldn't be overlooked like he is being in this thread. He has stepped up huge whenever he has needed to and it seems to be getting overlooked. When you look back at his career, he was expected to be Prices backup and was able to take the position away from him, due to Price playing bad, and Halak taking advantage of the situation. Then he had that incredible playoffs and incredible Olympics.

He gets traded to St. Louis and is given his first time ever starter situation in the NHL in a completely new city, new conference and new teammates. He had his struggles sure, but that was a little expected. Then last year, well his numbers speak for themselves.

I just can't understand why Halak is being mentioned as the third best goalie in this group with his history. In my opinion, others disagree obviously, he's the best of the 4. I don't think there is anyway he is the third best though. Schneider may be better in the future, we'll see, but he just doesn't have quite as good of a resume as the other two do right now and I don't think he can be considered better than Halak.

Old
12-26-2012, 02:05 AM
Noob616

Quote:
Okay, you're right. I guess I've been letting HFboards get into my head a little bit and have forgotten most of what he has accomplished. He has had his fair share of struggles recently though, and I guess that was just too fresh on my mind.

I guess my point in all of this is Halak shouldn't be overlooked like he is being in this thread. He has stepped up huge whenever he has needed to and it seems to be getting overlooked. When you look back at his career, he was expected to be Prices backup and was able to take the position away from him, due to Price playing bad, and Halak taking advantage of the situation. Then he had that incredible playoffs and incredible Olympics.

He gets traded to St. Louis and is given his first time ever starter situation in the NHL in a completely new city, new conference and new teammates. He had his struggles sure, but that was a little expected. Then last year, well his numbers speak for themselves.

I just can't understand why Halak is being mentioned as the third best goalie in this group with his history. In my opinion, others disagree obviously, he's the best of the 4. I don't think there is anyway he is the third best though. Schneider may be better in the future, we'll see, but he just doesn't have quite as good of a resume as the other two do right now and I don't think he can be considered better than Halak.
From what I've gathered, most people rank it Luongo, Halak, Schneider, Elliot (with quite a gap between Schneider and Elliott). This is the way I'd rank it as well, Luongo is the best goalie here, and the hate he gets on the general boards is absolutely astounding. Halak slots in behind Luongo, Halak is an above average NHL starter (but not elite), who played like the second coming of Hasek for a short stretch in 2010. I definitely would have Halak on my team next season ahead of Schneider, Halak's more proven to me as a starter. Schneider is again, an above average NHL starter, and is a great goalie as well. Elliott is the odd one out here, he set the save percentage record, but the previous July was thrown in the scrap heap by the Avalanche. There's a possibility he's a late bloomer (and 27 for a goalie isn't all that late), but that's not a given and I wouldn't want to hinge my hopes on him playing like last year again.

Actually, I can't say I'd want Halak on my team. I'm a Habs fan, and the gong show that would surround Halak returning to Montreal would be monumental I would take Vancouver's duo, Luongo is the best goalie here, Halak and Schneider are close enough that you have to take Vancouver's duo and get 2 solid starters, as opposed to the STL group where you get a solid starter and a guy who may or may not be a starting calibre goalie again.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
And before anyone brands me a Halak hater, I do feel he's underrated on these boards. The playoffs with the Habs should be reason enough to convince those that think Hitchcock is the main reason he's a good goalie.
Yeah I feel the same way. I don't think the Blues would have beaten the Kings, but they may have won a game if Halak was in net. I compare Elliott in the regular season to playoffs, the way I compare the Devils penalty killing in the regular season to playoffs. Pretty bad. He seemed to have a gaping 5 hole that whole series, and Halak while not having the absurd save percentage numbers last season is just so much better it isn't even funny.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 04:42 PM
the

I agree, Halak is underrated, I think the main issue is that instead of being closer to Luongo's level and getting the #1 spot some folks are putting Halak closer to Schneider and the #3 spot.

I agree that Luongo is the better goalie from all 4 goalies mentioned but I believe Halak is not too far behind.

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:08 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
I agree, Halak is underrated, I think the main issue is that instead of being closer to Luongo's level and getting the #1 spot some folks are putting Halak closer to Schneider and the #3 spot.

I agree that Luongo is the better goalie from all 4 goalies mentioned but I believe Halak is not too far behind.
Some people are even putting Halak BEHIND Schneider, which I think is absolutely ridiculous.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:46 AM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Quote:
Some people are even putting Halak BEHIND Schneider, which I think is absolutely ridiculous.
It is not when a lot of people put Schneider ahead of Luongo. I'm a huge Luongo fan, but I will admit I am a lot less nervous when Schneider is in net. He is calm, cool and has fantastic lateral movement.

I believe Luongo on his game is way better than Schneider on his game, but Schneider is better on a nightly basis.

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote