HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Prospect Talk PART V

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2012, 08:45 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I think Tavares was perfect because HE WAS READY. I think Nino was too young in age and in talent. Now...

If Nino or Strome was superior to our other options....this is the gist of my opinion:

Do you promote them and not develop them because Snow was asleep at te wheel or.....do you get other bodies and make DEVELOPING THEM TO THEIR POTENTIAL your priority?

Rick wasn't better than Osgood and Snow, but we traded Osgood so he became our second best goalie option. Wise? Hell no. He wasn't ready. So if Nino is promoted because we didn't have someone as good as Reasoner......bad move. And it showed.

I'd rather wait watching Pandolfo than risk Nino not becoming a big lugging ace first line winger. So no, rookies sit until they're the better option on the ice and they are ready.

Now do I make myself clearer? Age would relate to on and off ice maturity as well as chronology. 18 is riskier than 20 in development measure, but if someone is CLEARLY ready, like JT, you roll with him and hope for the best. Nino - not ready. Strome - not ready. Reinhart is closer to both IMHO.
I think you are underestimating just how difficult it is to bring in quality players. IMO, there is no way the Islanders are going to sign any UFA center to a multi-year contract when they expect a guy like Strome or Nelson to be ready sometime in 2013-14, or at the latest by the start of 2014-15. I could only see them offering up a one year deal, and no true top-six center is going to sign for just a one year deal, considering they will be getting multi-year offers from other teams(assuming we are thinking of the same kind of player).

That leaves the trade route, where I just don't see the Isles trading anything of significant value for a one year stop-gap. The only real possibilities who would MAYBE sign here on one year contracts are guys like Matt Cullen and Vinny Prospal, and even if they were willing to sign for one year I don't know if they'd really be better options.

As far as Nino goes, I don't see why he shouldn't get some sort of shot at a top-9 spot with the way he's played this year in Bridgeport. Even if you are completely against him getting a shot on the top line with Tavares, there still should be an opening for him on the 3rd line with Nielsen and Grabner if things play out the way I think they will. At this point I don't think Nino is undeserving of at least getting a shot there.

Who knows, maybe the Isles will take your approach. Time will tell, but at this point I fully expect both Strome and Nino to be Islanders next season. IMO the only way Strome won't be is if Nelson beats him out.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:02 PM
thrillhous

Strome's supposed floating = playing the center position while thinking the game at a high level. He doesn't chase the puck needlessly or try to do too much at inopportune times. Positionally he is very sound and does a great job of anticipating where the puck will go. I hate it when people say that players like Strome "float".

Old
12-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Degeneration Rex

Saturday

Sault Ste Marie 7, Niagara 3-Theoret, -1, Graham, -2.
Erie 6, Barrie 4-Pelech, 2 assists, + 3.
Note-In tonight's Denver-Boston University game, Mayfield ejected in first period for a head shot.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 12-29-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old
12-29-2012, 09:50 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I think you are underestimating just how difficult it is to bring in quality players. IMO, there is no way the Islanders are going to sign any UFA center to a multi-year contract when they expect a guy like Strome or Nelson to be ready sometime in 2013-14, or at the latest by the start of 2014-15. I could only see them offering up a one year deal, and no true top-six center is going to sign for just a one year deal, considering they will be getting multi-year offers from other teams(assuming we are thinking of the same kind of player).

That leaves the trade route, where I just don't see the Isles trading anything of significant value for a one year stop-gap. The only real possibilities who would MAYBE sign here on one year contracts are guys like Matt Cullen and Vinny Prospal, and even if they were willing to sign for one year I don't know if they'd really be better options.

As far as Nino goes, I don't see why he shouldn't get some sort of shot at a top-9 spot with the way he's played this year in Bridgeport. Even if you are completely against him getting a shot on the top line with Tavares, there still should be an opening for him on the 3rd line with Nielsen and Grabner if things play out the way I think they will. At this point I don't think Nino is undeserving of at least getting a shot there.

Who knows, maybe the Isles will take your approach. Time will tell, but at this point I fully expect both Strome and Nino to be Islanders next season. IMO the only way Strome won't be is if Nelson beats him out.
I think you underestimate how hard it is to develop them properly.

Think of the promising young guys we have had. Brought in early, meddled with, coddled or rushed or whatnot. I look at our success with early rounders and then look at Detroit's success with late rounders and see their approach (NO ONE plays early. They are ready or they rot) and then our approach (9 game tryout, meddle with junior/college team, meddle, meddle, meddle) and see one superior developmental philosophy and one with a less than stellar developmental program.

If prospects were chickens, Detroit gets them done every time and NYI makes their fans vomit or move into a water closet. Now....Snow seems to be moving closer to 162* on his chickens......thankfully.

I guess some might miss the friendly toilet seat conversations.

Again, if the choice is rush a promising asset who will pay off dividends if we wait or go with cheap throwaways, I'll take a few fliers on some Bruin farmhands and a few more losses.

That could mean several wins per season gained (rather than a slew of Okposo "maybe one day he'll get it" types) in the coming seasons as a result. That is good, isn't it?

Old
12-29-2012, 09:53 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
Strome's supposed floating = playing the center position while thinking the game at a high level. He doesn't chase the puck needlessly or try to do too much at inopportune times. Positionally he is very sound and does a great job of anticipating where the puck will go. I hate it when people say that players like Strome "float".
how is his backcheck? How is he getting back? Does he? I think he's improved but would like to see more depth to his defensive game.

(yikes, now I sound like Trottier!)

(to the gentleman in San Diego, hello and happy holidays )

Old
12-29-2012, 10:00 PM
thrillhous

Strome backchecks very well IMO. Again, this has to do with knowing where to be on the ice, not following the puck around.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:31 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Damnit, should I try and stay up to catch the Canada-USA game or just tape it and watch it in the morning? Excited for the game though.

Strome gets hammered by everyone on HF, but he's one of the key guys for Canada and has always contributed positively last year and so far this year. I find it funny that he's considered one dimensional by so many yet he's one of their mainstays on the PK and he seems to take a lot of defensive zone faceoffs. He barely gets any PP time since the first unit seems to be out there all the time, yet he's still putting up points. With so many natural centers on the roster, why is it that Strome is the #2C on this team and wasn't the one moved to wing?

I think he deserves a lot more respect than he gets.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:52 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Damnit, should I try and stay up to catch the Canada-USA game or just tape it and watch it in the morning? Excited for the game though.

Strome gets hammered by everyone on HF, but he's one of the key guys for Canada and has always contributed positively last year and so far this year. I find it funny that he's considered one dimensional by so many yet he's one of their mainstays on the PK and he seems to take a lot of defensive zone faceoffs. He barely gets any PP time since the first unit seems to be out there all the time, yet he's still putting up points. With so many natural centers on the roster, why is it that Strome is the #2C on this team and wasn't the one moved to wing?

Marginally talented?

Old
12-29-2012, 11:04 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Marginally talented?
Haha, I guess it's in the water over there in Mississauga.

Old
12-29-2012, 11:11 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Haha, I guess it's in the water over there in Mississauga.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:08 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
Strome backchecks very well IMO. Again, this has to do with knowing where to be on the ice, not following the puck around.
Nice. Grassy ass. KJ style, not Aucoinesque on D. Osgood in net, not Floppietro.

Less energy expended by the body because more energy used in the brain means more energy out there on the ice. I can see why some are unimpressed, then.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:46 AM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Strome centering Mackinnon and Drouin against USA. Ton of skill on that line.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:22 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiguy21 View Post
Strome centering Mackinnon and Drouin against USA. Ton of skill on that line.
Yes, I am excited about the skill level on that line. BUT it will be interesting to see how Strome does with these youngsters against a bigger faster US Team. I said earlier in the thread I like a big winger like Ritchie next to Strome. Drouin and MacKinnon are fast but small and young.

Quote:

I think Strome is centering too younger players (Drouin and MacKinnon) because he is looked at as a leader and the coaching staff has faith he can ensure a productive second line against teams like USA today and Russia tomorrow. I think it's a compliment to his game, not a punishment. Heck he's producing more on the second line with less PP time and more PK time than last year as he did as a first line Center between Stone and Huberdeau. That speaks volumes IMO.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:39 AM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Yes, I am excited about the skill level on that line. BUT it will be interesting to see how Strome does with these youngsters against a bigger faster US Team. I said earlier in the thread I like a big winger like Ritchie next to Strome. Drouin and MacKinnon are fast but small and young.
Yea it'll be interesting to watch. TSN is reporting that Mack will mostly be playing on the 4th line I guess.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:42 AM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Also, for those who don't know. The game is being streamed on NHL.com

Old
12-30-2012, 04:03 AM
InformTheMasses

Nice goal by Strome, going to the net. Better feed by Ritchie. As I said before, Strome just looks better with that winger that has size and digs out pucks.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:11 AM
onesinceforty

Quote:
Nice goal by Strome, going to the net. Better feed by Ritchie. As I said before, Strome just looks better with that winger that has size and digs out pucks.
I like Reinhart's game a lot more than any of the other big name defensemen in this game. Except maybe Hamilton. No thanks to Murphy, Rielly and especially Seth Jones. I want my Dmen to not make bonehead mistakes. Sorry, that's why Striet is not my favorite due to the turnovers.

That was a weak call on Strome for that penalty.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:11 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:

I think Strome is centering too younger players (Drouin and MacKinnon) because he is looked at as a leader and the coaching staff has faith he can ensure a productive second line against teams like USA today and Russia tomorrow. I think it's a compliment to his game, not a punishment. Heck he's producing more on the second line with less PP time and more PK time than last year as he did as a first line Center between Stone and Huberdeau. That speaks volumes IMO.
You may have misunderstood my post. I guess I was trying to imply that he's highly thought of by TC and it is most definitely a compliment to him in the role he's been put in. RNH is the #1C so he'll get the premium ice time, but Strome has been excellent as the #2C to provide secondary scoring and 2-way play. He's a key to Canada's hopes.

Nice goal by Strome, nice to see him to go the net. I agree that Strome needs big wingers who do the dirty work so he has time and space to work his magic.

BTW, this is brutal waking up this early.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:18 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
You may have misunderstood my post. I guess I was trying to imply that he's highly thought of by TC and it is most definitely a compliment to him in the role he's been put in. RNH is the #1C so he'll get the premium ice time, but Strome has been excellent as the #2C to provide secondary scoring and 2-way play. He's a key to Canada's hopes.

Nice goal by Strome, nice to see him to go the net. I agree that Strome needs big wingers who do the dirty work so he has time and space to work his magic.

BTW, this is brutal waking up this early.
I kind of figured that's what you were getting at, wasn't sure though. It's 4 AM!!!! Yes it's tough getting up this early, but was excited to do so this morning, with a Canada-US match-up. There are so many future NHL players in this game it's a joy to watch.

The Penalty call on Strome at the end of the period was complete nonsense. Will be interesting to see if he gets punished for it again. Doubt it, with 11 forwards against a team like The US, I don't think that Spott is foolish enough to do something like that.

S.Jones got exposed a bit there in the first period. I want to see how he plays in 2nd and 3rd. I sort of felt this way before the tournament but even more so now, I think I would take Drouin with the #1 pick, he's going to be a great one.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:24 AM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesinceforty View Post
I like Reinhart's game a lot more than any of the other big name defensemen in this game. Except maybe Hamilton. No thanks to Murphy, Rielly and especially Seth Jones. I want my Dmen to not make bonehead mistakes. Sorry, that's why Striet is not my favorite due to the turnovers.

That was a weak call on Strome for that penalty.
Definitely with you on Reinhart. His name never gets called but it's a good thing. Kid is just so solid back there. He also has a decent outlet pass, but it just seems like he is always making the right play.

Strome looked good last period to me as well. Before he scored his goal you could see him hovering around the slot trying to get in a position for an open pass. I wouldn't call it floating, moreso trying to be in the right spot. He did a great job crashing the net for the goal. That penalty was bogus as well.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:25 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
I kind of figured that's what you were getting at, wasn't sure though. It's 4 AM!!!! Yes it's tough getting up this early, but was excited to do so this morning, with a Canada-US match-up. There are so many future NHL players in this game it's a joy to watch.

The Penalty call on Strome at the end of the period was complete nonsense. Will be interesting to see if he gets punished for it again. Doubt it, with 11 forwards against a team like The US, I don't think that Spott is foolish enough to do something like that.

S.Jones got exposed a bit there in the first period. I want to see how he plays in 2nd and 3rd. I sort of felt this way before the tournament but even more so now, I think I would take Drouin with the #1 pick, he's going to be a great one.
Haha, yeah. I'm not awake yet either.

Jones has to get it in gear, Trouba looks great. Drouin is really impressing me, the kid is slick and has got some crazy mitts. I would not complain if we get him, he oozes skill. I like him paired with Strome, they share high hockey sense.

Is Galchenyuk even playing? Invisible so far. Reinhart is almost boringly consistent. He's the type that lowers the blood pressure of the coach whenever he's out there, so quietly effective. I wish he had a bigger role because he's been the most consistent and steady Canadian d-man.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:29 AM
Degeneration Rex

Finland just came from behind to beat Switzerland 5-4 in a shoot out.
Pokka was even and had 5 shots on goal.

Strome also getting extra shifts on the 4th line with Ritchie and Camara in
addition to his regular line with Drouin and McKinnon.

PS-I just made myself a large strong cup of coffee.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 12-30-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old
12-30-2012, 04:35 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

It looks like Strome is being double shifted a bit. He's out there with MacKinnon and Drouin. Then I see him with Rattie and Ritchie. I could be wrong, but it looks like it.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:39 AM
Degeneration Rex

Reinhart just got a double minor for high sticking.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:44 AM
Degeneration Rex

Strome with some good PK work as Canada killed off Griff's double minor.

Closed Thread