HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General WJC Talk Thread - "Hoto doesn't like Editions" Edition

Old
12-30-2012, 04:15 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
I set my alarm for 4:30 and either slept through it, or turned it off in my sleep, lol. Oh well, I'm up now. GO GALLY!

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:28 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
My God, is Galchenyuk the only player on team USA that knows how to play hockey?

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:44 AM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
My God, is Galchenyuk the only player on team USA that knows how to play hockey?
I feel bad for him and Jones..

Taking perimeter shots without screens....

Lars The GOAT Eller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:41 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I like you Hartman but that was pure stupidity.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:33 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Wow Drouin is incredible. No wonder people are going crazy over this upcoming draft class. Jones looked real good out there too. Mackinnon didn't do much but man is he explosive.

I know Drouin is small but if there was a way we can get him I'd go crazy. One time he took a pretty mean knock yet still kept the puck and kept trucking.

If I were to rank the three just on this game I'd say

1. Drouin
2. Jones
3. Mackinnon

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:34 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Drouin is Giroux. What people didn't see in Giroux....they now see it in Drouin.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:41 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
Wow Drouin is incredible. No wonder people are going crazy over this upcoming draft class. Jones looked real good out there too. Mackinnon didn't do much but man is he explosive.

I know Drouin is small but if there was a way we can get him I'd go crazy. One time he took a pretty mean knock yet still kept the puck and kept trucking.

If I were to rank the three just on this game I'd say

1. Drouin
2. Jones
3. Mackinnon
For this game alone Jones had his ups and downs. He got caught on 2 goals and almost on a 3rd. He also saved a goal late in the third and made some good plays offensively. Tough to compare MacKinnon to Jones in this game as Nate's role isn't the same as Jones'. Drouin was the best of the bunch though.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:45 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Drouin is Giroux. What people didn't see in Giroux....they now see it in Drouin.
Drouin is bigger and a much better skater. At that age Giroux was like 5'9" and 160lbs.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:46 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
For this game alone Jones had his ups and downs. He got caught on 2 goals and almost on a 3rd. He also saved a goal late in the third and made some good plays offensively. Tough to compare MacKinnon to Jones in this game as Nate's role isn't the same as Jones'. Drouin was the best of the bunch though.
Agree. I think for a 17 year old D who's that tall and to be that well rounded is really impressive.

Drouin looks positively electric with the puck. Having him on a line with Galchenyuk would be amazing. God I hope we can get a top 5 pick. I'm 100% convinced we won't even get one in the top 15. If we don't I say trade the 2nd rounders and whatever else.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:47 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Plus any scout worth $0.25 isn't looking at performance but moreso potential. You can teach a lot of the defensive play and most of it gets learnt at the pro level. You can't teach size, great skating and offensive awareness.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:18 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Drouin is bigger and a much better skater. At that age Giroux was like 5'9" and 160lbs.
Drouin has better first steps but Giroux's skating was not that bad as people thought it was. I agree that size played a role in Giroux's selection, yet some scouts had reservations about his overall play and if he'd even be able to bring it offensively. Central scouting had Giroux at 5'10.5", 169 lbs in 2006 while Drouin is at 5'11'' 176 lbs. My point was just to compare overall IQ and understanding of the game and pure elite talent.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:20 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Plus any scout worth $0.25 isn't looking at performance but moreso potential. You can teach a lot of the defensive play and most of it gets learnt at the pro level. You can't teach size, great skating and offensive awareness.
Absolutely. People looking at those specific games to upgrade and downgrate their rankings are due for a rude awakening. Jones will be a NHL stud.

Do people remember McDonagh's struggling at the WJC? And so on....

Old
12-30-2012, 09:15 AM
SB164

Quote:
To be fair, Giroux did play in the WJC as well. Do you remember if it was before or after he was drafted? And I'm guessing that many scouts didn't think his skills would translate to the NHL based on his size?

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Drouin has better first steps but Giroux's skating was not that bad as people thought it was. I agree that size played a role in Giroux's selection, yet some scouts had reservations about his overall play and if he'd even be able to bring it offensively. Central scouting had Giroux at 5'10.5", 169 lbs in 2006 while Drouin is at 5'11'' 176 lbs. My point was just to compare overall IQ and understanding of the game and pure elite talent.
He looks shorter than that.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 09:28 AM
SB164

The main board basically boils down to this:

"I have never watched [insert junior player's name here] play, but from what I've seen in the past three days, this guy sucks!"

Poor Ryan Murphy, some guy actually posted, "I hate him!" Really?

Old
12-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post

"I have never watched [insert junior player's name here] play, but from what I've seen in the past three days, this guy sucks!"

of course, he takes time away from Rielly

Some people won't get over the Kessel trade either. Hamilton hasn't been outstanding but reading the board you'd think he's a mediocre d-man.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 09:45 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
He looks shorter than that.
No that sounds about right.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 09:52 AM
SB164

Quote:
of course, he takes time away from Rielly

Some people won't get over the Kessel trade either. Hamilton hasn't been outstanding but reading the board you'd think he's a mediocre d-man.
Seguin, Rielly and Hamilton, now there's a group you can build around.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
To be fair, Giroux did play in the WJC as well. Do you remember if it was before or after he was drafted? And I'm guessing that many scouts didn't think his skills would translate to the NHL based on his size?
He didn't play at 17. I believe he played at 18 and 19.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Et le But

Quote:
These kind of comparisons never end well. Nobody knew Giroux would be Giroux, as much as the hindsight brigade likes to think so.

What Drouin is, is very good. Possibly better than Giroux at the same age. You are right the same scouts who dismissed Giroux won't do the same with Drouin.

But Giroux is one of those players you can't project, because he exceeded most expectations. It's like claiming Collberg will be the next Alfie or even better, or every big tough Anglo guy with marginal offensive instincts will be the next Lucic.

Last edited by Et le But: 12-30-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:46 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
These kind of comparisons never end well. Nobody knew Giroux would be Giroux, as much as the hindsight brigade likes to think so.

What Drouin is, is very good. Possibly better than Giroux at the same age. You are right the same scouts who dismissed Giroux won't do the same with Drouin.

But Giroux is one of those players you can't project, because he exceeded most expectations. It's like claiming Collberg will be the next Alfie or even better, or every big tough Anglo guy with marginal offensive instincts will be the next Lucic.
Not talking about Jean-Gabriel Pageau here. But a Giroux who did end up a 1st rounder after all, good enough to be taken by the big and strong Flyers who thought he'd fit good in there. Point is, the Q was dismissed in general and in his enterity for quite some time, and not too sure it won't be in the future as well. Yet, this is a year that is seen great for the Q, hence most of the players getting a better rating than in a poor overall league performance. That's how it goes unfortunately. With a strong possibility that some of those Q players ended up being overrated because of how it looks like as well. Though, that won't be the case for Drouin.

True, nobody knew Giroux would be Giroux, 'cause if they knew he'd be top 5. So my comparison was NOT about Giroux at the time compared to Drouin now. Those type of comparisons are always about who you think he looks like NOW.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Not talking about Jean-Gabriel Pageau here. But a Giroux who did end up a 1st rounder after all, good enough to be taken by the big and strong Flyers who thought he'd fit good in there. Point is, the Q was dismissed in general and in his enterity for quite some time, and not too sure it won't be in the future as well. Yet, this is a year that is seen great for the Q, hence most of the players getting a better rating than in a poor overall league performance. That's how it goes unfortunately. With a strong possibility that some of those Q players ended up being overrated because of how it looks like as well. Though, that won't be the case for Drouin.

True, nobody knew Giroux would be Giroux, 'cause if they knew he'd be top 5. So my comparison was NOT about Giroux at the time compared to Drouin now. Those type of comparisons are always about who you think he looks like NOW.
Yeah, I mainly agree and Drouin will be highly sought after for that reason, since I'm going to bet a lot of pro scouts feel the same way. I just don't think anyone should expect Drouin to be a Giroux clone, or even better because he's slightly taller and faster. Even with less size Giroux is feistier. Drouin is going to be Drouin, it's easy to make parallels to those other slightly undersized guys with ridiculous hands like Giroux and Kane, and it makes sense, but I see Drouin's skillset as somewhere between those two.

Actually who Drouin reminds me of is a more polished Teravainen, who had no business dropping as far as he did last year. He isn't quite as quick as TT, but he's a little more physical and a lot more selfless. No way does Drouin drop like that though, because he's far more consistent a performer and didn't develop late the way TT did. Not to mention he's Canadian (or Quebecois, if you prefer).

Old
12-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Andy

Jets are gonna look good with Trouba, Enstrom and Bogosian in front of Pavalec

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Et le But

I have to give Whitesnake credit for calling Trouba. He's looking legit. Has impressed me more than Jones actually.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:

GDTs are always like that - people get emotional while watching. It's definitely hyperbole, but there's also a bit of truth to it IMO - Murphy hasn't been very good and probably not deserving of the amount of ice time he's getting. To me, Ouellet and Harrington have been our best.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote