HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Evgeny Kuznetsov Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
So your crystal balls say things a year from now will be exactly as they are today eh? Good to know...

Old
12-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Team Russia is above all about the politics of the selection, and Kuznetsov did everything right from the political point of view, by re-upping through Sochi. He's a lock, in my view, unless his game falls off a cliff.
Says who?

Old
12-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Competition amongst Russian wingers will be very high. Guys like Ovi and Kovy are probably the only W locks for Sochi. The decision to stay improves Kuznetsov's chances, but it doesn't grant him a place on the roster.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:09 AM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
Competition amongst Russian wingers will be very high. Guys like Ovi and Kovy are probably the only W locks for Sochi. The decision to stay improves Kuznetsov's chances, but it doesn't grant him a place on the roster.
Radulov is also a lock.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:43 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
Radulov is also a lock.
Not really.

Penalty wise he is a combination of Semin and Malkin. Stupid stick penalties + temper tantrums.

Old
12-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Not really.
Oh yes, Radulov is a lock. 100%.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
If Kuznetsov continues to progress as he has been in the KHL so far no way will he miss Sochi 2014. The Coach wants Tarasenko and Kuznetsov to be hungry and prove they deserve a spot, a lot of hype surrounding these kids in Russia and he does not want them to begin thinking they deserve a spot without showing consistency. It was the right move especially as he was very poor in November.

Here is what I mean about Kuznetsov.
First 19 games of the KHL Season
GP-19 G-9 A-11 PTS-20

The next 11 games of the KHL Season
GP-11 G-1 A-4 PTS-5

Last two games before the EHT break (Where he did not make the team)
GP-2 G-3 A-1 PTS-4
Now GP-3 G-4 A-1 PTS-5 in December. After scoring the only goal last night in the 1-2 loss.

Old
12-21-2012, 11:57 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Kuznetsov 2 goals and shootout winner from behind the dots five hole.

Beast.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Kuznetsov 2 goals and shootout winner from behind the dots five hole.

Beast.
The exact reaction the Russian National team coach wanted from him and Tarasenko.

Old
12-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Brian23

Tis the first time I've seen Ovi talk about Kuzya. I suppose I haven't really been looking though...

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...o-stay-in-khl/

Old
12-29-2012, 04:37 PM
WarriorofTime

Kuznetsov looks really smart for signing that two year contract in the KHL last season with the Lockout wiping out this NHL season. I agree with his decision not to go to the AHL. Hopefully he comes to the NHL after his KHL contract expires after 2014. He is a true Superstar who will be part of the Russian Olympic team for a hockey generation. Hopefully he realizes being the best player in the KHL is not as satisfying as competing in the best league in the world.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Kuznetsov looks really smart for signing that two year contract in the KHL last season with the Lockout wiping out this NHL season. I agree with his decision not to go to the AHL. Hopefully he comes to the NHL after his KHL contract expires after 2014. He is a true Superstar who will be part of the Russian Olympic team for a hockey generation. Hopefully he realizes being the best player in the KHL is not as satisfying as competing in the best league in the world.
I don't see how a two year contract makes him look smart. A one year deal? Sure. But this lockout isn't going to go into the next season, and even if it did, he could just pull a Semin and sign another one year KHL deal. Now he's stuck with another year of KHL duty whether he wants it or not.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:07 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
One year would have been perfect even at that time as even though would have loved to have him come over to replace Semin I could see a one year deal and staying over there...

All that said half a season lost minimum now. Sounds like the revamped the rules bring players back from Europe without waivers. Hopefully that applies to Kuznetsov next season though my lazy ass has not checked when the KHL season/playoffs end.

12-29-2012, 11:59 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
One year would have been perfect even at that time as even though would have loved to have him come over to replace Semin I could see a one year deal and staying over there...

All that said half a season lost minimum now. Sounds like the revamped the rules bring players back from Europe without waivers. Hopefully that applies to Kuznetsov next season though my lazy ass has not checked when the KHL season/playoffs end.
Contracts end April 3rd, so sometime before that, but I imagine there is something about him signing before April 3rd. So unless there is a major change in rules, he could play a few regular season games.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I don't see how a two year contract makes him look smart. A one year deal? Sure. But this lockout isn't going to go into the next season, and even if it did, he could just pull a Semin and sign another one year KHL deal. Now he's stuck with another year of KHL duty whether he wants it or not.
That 2 year deal was all about assuring his place on the Olympic team and having a once in a lifetime opportunity to win gold on home soil.

As a Caps fan would I prefer him come over as soon as possible? Sure but I 100% understand and frankly agree with his decision to sign the deal he did given the stakes.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:07 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
That 2 year deal was all about assuring his place on the Olympic team and having a once in a lifetime opportunity to win gold on home soil.

As a Caps fan would I prefer him come over as soon as possible? Sure but I 100% understand and frankly agree with his decision to sign the deal he did given the stakes.
Pretty lame that he has to buy his way onto the team by offering a year of his life to some sadsack nationalist experiment.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post

I've heard that story, and I've also heard (as I'm sure you have) that Kuz's wife and family had a big influence on him staying in Russia.

And what in the world is wrong with Russian hockey if the people selecting the Olympic team can influence a kid into signing a contract with a KHL team? Talk about an abuse of power. I know, I know, it's Putin's Russia.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Slay

If he'd come over next season he'd have only half of a season to establish himself as one of the leaders on the Caps before the Olympics take place. That's risk he wasn't willing to take. Has nothing to do with buying or selling anything. His spot is far from guaranteed even if he stayed in Russia, but he logs big minutes and has a chance to play for the national team coach in various tournaments before the Olympics. Putting it simply: by playing in Russia he has more exposure than he would possibly have in NHL or AHL (another risk). Of course if he would light it up in the NHL his stocks would sky rock beyond what he is doing in the KHL, but would he?

Didn't watch games recently, but seems like Kuz is tried at center, he takes more and more face-offs. 13 faceoffs today (61.5% won). Also interesting a couple games ago he logged nearly 30 minutes of ice time (no over time).

Last edited by Slay: 12-30-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old
12-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
And what in the world is wrong with Russian hockey if the people selecting the Olympic team can influence a kid into signing a contract with a KHL team? Talk about an abuse of power. I know, I know, it's Putin's Russia.
Ok I am not suggesting that the decision to stay until after the Olympics was made because he was told if you stay you are on the team.

I feel his best chance of EARNING a spot on the team is by staying because if he came over in an Olympic year and struggled for the first month or two, which is all there is before the Olympics, it could easily hurt his chances of making the team. And it wouldn't be unheard of or even surprising for a European player to struggle for a couple months with the adjustment to the smaller ice and the different style of play.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Dynamo81

LOL at people thinking that staying in Russia was for a place in the Olympic team. His entire family is now financially well off for the rest of his life. This so called KHL Bias for the Olympic team is a myth.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:25 AM
marchbrown

Quote:
LOL at people thinking that staying in Russia was for a place in the Olympic team.
Yes.

If it was so necessary that Kuznetsov stay in Russia to be assured of a place on the Olympic team, then did Tarasenko sacrifice his chance at the Russian team when he signed with the Blues in June?

http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|STL|home

Tarasenko even came over to St. Louis to practice with Blues players prior to the lockout and has said that he will return to the Blues when the lockout is over.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...173455&page=39

Old
12-31-2012, 02:05 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchbrown View Post
Yes.

If it was so necessary that Kuznetsov stay in Russia to be assured of a place on the Olympic team, then did Tarasenko sacrifice his chance at the Russian team when he signed with the Blues in June?

http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|STL|home

Tarasenko even came over to St. Louis to practice with Blues players prior to the lockout and has said that he will return to the Blues when the lockout is over.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...173455&page=39
Exactly, especially when the coach did not call Kuznetsov (In the KHL until the end of the 2013-14 season) to the National team for the EHT. Bilyaletdinov (Russia's Coach), is a massive fan of the NHL, he even worked with two NHL teams in the past In the 90' and early 00's a lot of Russians in the NHL straight up would refuse to play for Russia today they never reject call ups for the National Team, they want to play for it. Heck even when Malkin had his troubles with the shady RSL and ran off to the NHL he was still representing Russia at the World Championships and Olympics straight after the incident. The Russian Hockey Federation and KHL are two separate things.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:09 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I don't think he did it just for the Olympics. But I do feel he feels there's a good chance he can make a better case for himself in the KHL, where he knows he's a star, than he can in going to the NHL and possibly not being as successful.

Money, the lockout, family, wife, homesickness, and other issues are certainly at play. But to say it isn't the Olympics (which has been stated a few times in articles) at some portion of it, is short sighted.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:41 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I don't think he did it just for the Olympics. But I do feel he feels there's a good chance he can make a better case for himself in the KHL, where he knows he's a star, than he can in going to the NHL and possibly not being as successful.

Money, the lockout, family, wife, homesickness, and other issues are certainly at play. But to say it isn't the Olympics (which has been stated a few times in articles) at some portion of it, is short sighted.
Everything you have said is correct. I a talking about people who think players stay in the KHL because if they leave for the NHL they won't be able to represent Russia (St.Louis fans were thinking this about Tarasenko, were arguing he was left off the World Championships squad because he chose to play for the NHL).

I am talking about ignorant/clueless comments such as this

"And what in the world is wrong with Russian hockey if the people selecting the Olympic team can influence a kid into signing a contract with a KHL team? Talk about an abuse of power. I know, I know, it's Putin's Russia. "

"Pretty lame that he has to buy his way onto the team by offering a year of his life to some sadsack nationalist experiment. "

Old
12-31-2012, 04:24 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Exactly, especially when the coach did not call Kuznetsov (In the KHL until the end of the 2013-14 season) to the National team for the EHT. Bilyaletdinov (Russia's Coach), is a massive fan of the NHL, he even worked with two NHL teams in the past In the 90' and early 00's a lot of Russians in the NHL straight up would refuse to play for Russia today they never reject call ups for the National Team, they want to play for it. Heck even when Malkin had his troubles with the shady RSL and ran off to the NHL he was still representing Russia at the World Championships and Olympics straight after the incident. The Russian Hockey Federation and KHL are two separate things.
You mean Vancouver games? Because he was still playing with Magnitka when he played at Turin.

Closed Thread