HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 U.S.A. (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 02:55 AM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Even if this team falls short it will still be better than the one we had last year.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:05 AM
Xokkeu

Well I think the obvious issues are still there. They have been there since the beginning and are not being solved. They are a lack of offensive scoring and creating ability, as well as penalty problems. The first is more of an issue than the second.

The team continues to struggle to create much offensively. We are very effective at collecting the puck in our zone, moving it up ice, but there seems to be a lacking skill quotient. We often struggle to get clean entries. We struggle to control the puck, maintain possession and pass it cohesively to each other. I don't really know what else there is to do about it. At this point I'd spread out the skilled players and just try to create a bit of offense on each line.

Miller-Galchenyuk-Barber
Lucia-Kuraly-Grimaldi
Gaudreau-Trochek-Hartman

If we can't use a top line or two to generate consistent offense then I think the best option is to spread out our skilled players and simply hope for a shift or two in the game where we generate something. Having one of Gaudreau, Galchenyuk and Grimaldi on the ice at nearly all times should do something to generate more offense simply because they are on the ice more than they are now. The grinder players are not generating anything so those lines essentially become, don't let the other team score lines, rather than a balanced approach.

Defensively the team is fine, even if they continue to make the occasional mistake. At this level you almost have to expect something like that, especially in a tournament like this where chemistry and cohesion is an issue. Would we like it if there were no breakdowns? Sure, but that's hard to expect at the U20 level.

Penalties continue to be an issue. Like Canada, the US needs to learn that hard checks that look bad are going to be called penalties. Simply put, laying a guy out with a big bodycheck is going to result in a penalty. If he stays on the ice it could easily cost you the game. McCabe's hit isn't going to be a penalty in the WCHA, but it will be every time with IIHF refs. If we want to win we have to play by their rules. I didn't see the other penalties very well but you simply can't kill a comeback chance like that by halving the four minutes you have left.

Overall some solid things to hang our hats on. Good goaltending, good defensive coverage for the most part against two very good teams. We should be able to beat Slovakia, although there is no guarantee of course. Then in the knockout rounds hopefully we find some offense.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:07 AM
William H Bonney

Another disappointing game. Another game where the team is going to be kicking themselves saying "we should have won that game." Gibson has obviously been strong and the defense has been as well for the most part - save a few lapses in time, usually led by Seth Jones, which is a damn shame because if our most hyped defender played well these last two games the team would have stood much better odds of being 3-0 or had more points in the standing at least (although the offense is obviously still an issue).

Housley is proving himself inept. He shows zero urgency and in game management. What is he waiting for? Things aren't clicking. Try something new! I don't care if it's putting Galchenyuk with Bardreau and Jon Gillies playing right wing. He's coaching like a guy trying to ram a square peg into a round hole and he's still surprised it doesn't fit. Chemistry is still a problem but you don't have time to wait for it. It's not there currently, try and jump start it at least with something different. It's time to shorten the bench. Galchenyuk should be double shifted. Miller/Gaudreau/Grimaldi have been major disappointments so far. Neither have been 1/10th the player they normally show.

That said, and maybe I'm just a USA Hockey hopeful, but I'm not in the dumps about this team yet. They lost tight games to what I consider the team best teams in the tournament. If, IF, they beat Slovakia on Monday, they'll get a crossover game against a weaker opponent in my opinion. So if they can win two in a row (both winnable) then they'll be at least playing for the medal we all hoped for.

12-30-2012, 07:12 AM
Exit Dose

Noesen, why did you have to throw that headshot?

Old
12-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
That should be a lol cat.

Noesen, y u throw headshot?

Old
12-30-2012, 07:23 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Another disappointing game. Another game where the team is going to be kicking themselves saying "we should have won that game." Gibson has obviously been strong and the defense has been as well for the most part - save a few lapses in time, usually led by Seth Jones, which is a damn shame because if our most hyped defender played well these last two games the team would have stood much better odds of being 3-0 or had more points in the standing at least (although the offense is obviously still an issue).

Housley is proving himself inept. He shows zero urgency and in game management. What is he waiting for? Things aren't clicking. Try something new! I don't care if it's putting Galchenyuk with Bardreau and Jon Gillies playing right wing. He's coaching like a guy trying to ram a square peg into a round hole and he's still surprised it doesn't fit. Chemistry is still a problem but you don't have time to wait for it. It's not there currently, try and jump start it at least with something different. It's time to shorten the bench. Galchenyuk should be double shifted. Miller/Gaudreau/Grimaldi have been major disappointments so far. Neither have been 1/10th the player they normally show.

That said, and maybe I'm just a USA Hockey hopeful, but I'm not in the dumps about this team yet. They lost tight games to what I consider the team best teams in the tournament. If, IF, they beat Slovakia on Monday, they'll get a crossover game against a weaker opponent in my opinion. So if they can win two in a row (both winnable) then they'll be at least playing for the medal we all hoped for.
The good news is that in these tournaments it seems like teams rarely beat each other twice for whatever reason. Still we are leaving ourselves way to thin a margin for error with no offense.

I feel like Housley thinks if he lets the offense have time they will gain chemistry, but we dont have any time!

Old
12-30-2012, 07:25 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
I don't think any one player at home is the difference maker alone. But, hearing the NHLN announcers continually reference the idea that USAH knew it would be tough sledding to score and that they'd need dirty goals makes it more baffling because I'm sure those guys are connected enough to be getting that directly from USAH. If you thought/think that, why did you choose to hold a camp with zero competition? Why did you choose to ignore players like Boucher, Erne, and Kerdiles (while none individually is a savior) would have increased (in any combination) the offensive capabilities of this team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
The good news is that in these tournaments it seems like teams rarely beat each other twice for whatever reason. Still we are leaving ourselves way to thin a margin for error with no offense.

I feel like Housley thinks if he lets the offense have time they will gain chemistry, but we dont have any time!
I agree. I really hope this team comes out firing against Slovakia. Desperation, passion, urgency, intensity, and an early goal perhaps? If they could pot one early I think they might get rolling a bit. I know Slovakia isn't a pushover (especially with our sputtering offense) but USAH should beat Slovakia the majority of the time. Win that game and you only have to win 1 more (against the weak group) for a chance to medal. The team lost two games and while the issues are evident, this isn't like the lopsided losses last year. The team could have easily beaten Russia or Canada.

I don't think Housley has a clue. His name has opened doors he didn't deserve to get through.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:28 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
I don't think any one player at home is the difference maker alone. But, hearing the NHLN announcers continually reference the idea that USAH knew it would be tough sledding to score and that they'd need dirty goals makes it more baffling because I'm sure those guys are connected enough to be getting that directly from USAH. If you thought/think that, why did you choose to hold a camp with zero competition? Why did you choose to ignore players like Boucher, Erne, and Kerdiles (while none individually is a savior) would have increased (in any combination) the offensive capabilities of this team?
While I agree with the spirit of what you're saying, looking at how tight the margins have been in our losses, I have to wonder if one player might have been enough to make a difference.

Granted, there is still hockey left to play.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:36 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:

I agree. I really hope this team comes out firing against Slovakia. Desperation, passion, urgency, intensity, and an early goal perhaps? If they could pot one early I think they might get rolling a bit. I know Slovakia isn't a pushover (especially with our sputtering offense) but USAH should beat Slovakia the majority of the time. Win that game and you only have to win 1 more (against the weak group) for a chance to medal. The team lost two games and while the issues are evident, this isn't like the lopsided losses last year. The team could have easily beaten Russia or Canada.

I don't think Housley has a clue. His name has opened doors he didn't deserve to get through.

I don't know what to make of Housley. In many ways, the team is playing a style that is a testament to good coaching. That said, I'm guilty of thinking of him as a player while wondering where the goals are.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:37 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
While I agree with the spirit of what you're saying, looking at how tight the margins have been in our losses, I have to wonder if one player might have been enough to make a difference.

Granted, there is still hockey left to play.
Think about the missed opportunities today on the PP. A Reid Boucher could very well have been that difference maker.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Think about the missed opportunities today on the PP. A Reid Boucher could very well have been that difference maker.
I think having someone that has proven chemistry Galy might've been a good call with Noesen out. Erne might've also worked. Kerdiles, too - another option on the left side would be awesome right about now.

Hopefully, it will all come together tomorrow. I won't rule out this team, just yet.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

vCash: 725
Why not try something else? Put Gally at the center position with Grimaldi. And then....you brought Trocheck to play an offensive role? Well live and die with him. Or try somebody else like Lucia for the grinding role on that line. Or Hartman, Pietila or even Bardreau who is showing some great wheels. Kuraly and Barber aren't doing it. Keep MIller with Gaudreau but add whoever I named before NOT named Kuraly and Barber. Time to change the recipe even if some thinks it's too late. But I don't believe it is.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:49 AM
doakacola*

This team lacks offensives skill like you read about. They are ineptness up front. Even money they lose
to Slovakia and you have two consecutive Jr tourney failures. Please stop with the U - 18 garbage as they don 't mean much.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:09 AM
HighLifeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Why not try something else? Put Gally at the center position with Grimaldi. And then....you brought Trocheck to play an offensive role? Well live and die with him. Or try somebody else like Lucia for the grinding role on that line. Or Hartman, Pietila or even Bardreau who is showing some great wheels. Kuraly and Barber aren't doing it. Keep MIller with Gaudreau but add whoever I named before NOT named Kuraly and Barber. Time to change the recipe even if some thinks it's too late. But I don't believe it is.
The problem I see with this roster is the one-two punch at center ice that is simply not working. Miller/Kuraly have been essentially useless offensively, and both should be moved out of those roles.

Miller is much better suited on the wing from what I have seen. If it were up to me () I would ice the following lines.

John Gaudreau - Alex Galchenyuk - Tyler Biggs
Mario Lucia - Vincent Trocheck - JT Miller
Jimmy Vesey - Rocco Grimaldi - Riley Barber
Blake Pietela - Cole Bardreau - Ryan Hartman
Sean Kuraly

The placement of Biggs may seem iffy to most of you, but this team is severely lacking a net front presence. Urge Biggs to use his size and strength to park himself in front and too create havoc.

I also think it is time to give a player like Vesey an greater opportunity. At the end of the day Housley needs to do something with this forward group.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:14 AM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
The problem I see with this roster is the one-two punch at center ice that is simply not working. Miller/Kuraly have been essentially useless offensively, and both should be moved out of those roles.

Miller is much better suited on the wing from what I have seen. If it were up to me () I would ice the following lines.

John Gaudreau - Alex Galchenyuk - Tyler Biggs
Mario Lucia - Vincent Trocheck - JT Miller
Jimmy Vesey - Rocco Grimaldi - Riley Barber
Blake Pietela - Cole Bardreau - Ryan Hartman
Sean Kuraly

The placement of Biggs may seem iffy to most of you, but this team is severely lacking a net front presence. Urge Biggs to use his size and strength to park himself in front and too create havoc.

I also think it is time to give a player like Vesey an greater opportunity. At the end of the day Housley needs to do something with this forward group.
I'd choose Lucia much more than Biggs if I had to choose a bigger guy on the top 6. Which I don't disagree by the way.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Forgedias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Well I think the obvious issues are still there. They have been there since the beginning and are not being solved. They are a lack of offensive scoring and creating ability, as well as penalty problems. The first is more of an issue than the second.

The team continues to struggle to create much offensively. We are very effective at collecting the puck in our zone, moving it up ice, but there seems to be a lacking skill quotient. We often struggle to get clean entries. We struggle to control the puck, maintain possession and pass it cohesively to each other. I don't really know what else there is to do about it. At this point I'd spread out the skilled players and just try to create a bit of offense on each line.

Miller-Galchenyuk-Barber
Lucia-Kuraly-Grimaldi
Gaudreau-Trochek-Hartman

If we can't use a top line or two to generate consistent offense then I think the best option is to spread out our skilled players and simply hope for a shift or two in the game where we generate something. Having one of Gaudreau, Galchenyuk and Grimaldi on the ice at nearly all times should do something to generate more offense simply because they are on the ice more than they are now. The grinder players are not generating anything so those lines essentially become, don't let the other team score lines, rather than a balanced approach.
I really like your line up. Miller adds size and can forecheck and grind it out on the boards while Galchenyuk can play his natural position and be a distributer. Sadly this makes too much sense. Pretty positive these line ups would generate more pressure as well.

Galchenyuk has 1g, 4a and is on a 3 game scoring streak, but he has disappeared in the Russia and Canada game which leads to your complaint that the USA doesn't create and Miller just is not a playmaker. Having one line do all your scoring isn't going to get you far.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:32 AM
The Winter Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
3rd line USA player equates to 4th line NHL player.
Ryan Callahan was supposed to be a 3rd line player for Team USA in 05. Your theory has exceptions.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:42 PM
GoBs

Delete

Last edited by GoBs: 12-30-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old
12-30-2012, 12:48 PM
GoBs

Galchenyuk is not playing enough. As we all know the US is limited offensively so Housley needs to get his better players on the ice more. I would like to see ice times, I would bet they are fairly even.

Go Patriots!

Old
12-30-2012, 01:05 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan*
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowline View Post
This team lacks offensives skill like you read about. They are ineptness up front. Even money they lose
to Slovakia and you have two consecutive Jr tourney failures.
Please stop with the U - 18 garbage as they don 't mean much.
That would be bad... I don't see it happening this year, tho.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:14 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
the big ice wouldnt hinder him at all..these games have proven that. It was a big mistake to not bring him along...and if we were 3-0 we wouldnt be talking about this, but we arent...and I continually get sick and tired of seeing us bring the wrong kids.

Something needs to change as Johansson just isnt good enough to have that job year in and year out. Too much offensive skill was left at home with Boucher, Kerdiles, Erne, Vail, etc...it was inexcusable to leave some of these kids at home...

I am praying for a monster game tomorrow, and then the anything can happen hope...but this team does have talent, solid defense, and a solid goaltender...we can click and still make something happen, but we need to find more offense somewhere asap..

Old
12-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Kershaw

I am stunned by Miller's performance thus far. He has been much better in the AHL then against Jr players.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:52 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I am stunned by Miller's performance thus far. He has been much better in the AHL then against Jr players.
he is the cog that spins this teams wheels. he is our leader and only professional player. when I watch him play, I just dont see any drive and passion to be honest. I am not ripping this kids heart, as I know he cares, but when you see him play it just looks like he is going through the motions. It also doesnt help that both of his linemates Gaudreau and Grimaldi have looked equally as bad for much of this tournament.

Grimaldi makes a lot of noise with his skating, but he pretty much has been chaos on skates with nothing coming from it. Gaudreau has put on a few dekes, and that pathetic 5 hole attempt on his breakaway against Subban was just terrible. I couldnt believe he didnt deke back and roof it with half the net open...he looks like he has very little confidence out there.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Machinehead
Pump it up Puempel!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
To be fair, he's with Grimaldi.

Good luck touching the puck if you're with Grimaldi.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:06 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
To be fair, he's with Grimaldi.

Good luck touching the puck if you're with Grimaldi.
Miller's sub-par play has nothing to do with anyone but himself.

Closed Thread