HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

World Jrs.: USA Wins Gold Medal (USA 3 Sweden 1)

Old
12-29-2012, 09:20 AM
CanadianFlyersFan18

vCash: 500
Lipon 1 game suspension. The US will most likely see alot more Mackinnon/Drouin which is just a fun duo to watch. Looking forward to the game! Cheers

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:33 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
are there any Free Agents playing D for any of these teams?

Flyers should look at trying to get a few of them cheap to see what they can do
No free agents in this tournament. They are still eligible for the draft. Albert Yarullin is probably the best undrafted defenseman (not including first time draft eligibles).

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:40 PM
PantherStriker

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
Lipon 1 game suspension. The US will most likely see alot more Mackinnon/Drouin which is just a fun duo to watch. Looking forward to the game! Cheers
Definitely deserved. Not a fan of that hit, especially as he aims for the head with his forearm.

PantherStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Yakupov has played very selfishly so far this game.

He brings it in the zone then when a player gets close to him he either throws a weak wrister on goal or loses it to the poke check. Oilers better hope they get the Yakupov that knows how to pass
Yeah, I was pissed off at his play, as well, no passing whatsoever. Same with Grigorenko against Germany. They both have great individual skills, but such play doesn't lead anywhere. But I think or at least hope that with Yakupov it wasn't so much selfishness, it was just him carrying a big burden as a highly touted future star, captain of the team and Russia playing at home. I don't think he was lazy and just wanted to cruise and stickhandle, as he did backcheck and play hard on the defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
I thought Ghost had a very solid game.

Wish he saw more PP this game though. Don't even think he had a chance that last PP.
I was quite impressed with him this game, as well, and thought he was one of the better US defensemen. I especially liked his transition play, and while defensively he might not be elite at this point, he seems to be good enough. I'm not sure he was matched with the toughest opposition, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
If the Gaudreau-Miller-Grimaldi line is still intact for the game against Canada, I'll have lost all confidence in Phil Housley as a coach. Their lack of cohesiveness and chemistry after 3 games is inexcusable. The disparity between BC Gaudreau and WJC Gaudreau is unbelievable. His confidence is non-existent, and pairing him with Grimaldi makes no sense. When Gaudreau is playing well in BC, he's dictating the play, and he has the puck on his stick. I've seen Gaudreau 5-6 times this year, and the same number last year. When he's playing with Grimaldi, Grimaldi is always holding onto the puck. Those two cannot work together, they play the exact same style and having two of that same style does not work on a line. Combine the fact the fact that Grimaldi and Miller are both playing out of position(Grimaldi is a center and Miller a winger), it's just not going to work. Miller's style is much more conducive to being a winger because he likes to forecheck and work the corners, which a center doesn't do. They may not want to make 3 scoring lines, but I see it as the only way to get Gaudreau and Grimaldi clicking.

Galchenyuk-Kuraly-Barber
Gaudreau-Trocheck-Biggs
Lucia/Vesey-Grimaldi-Miller
Pietila-Bardreau-Hartman

In this case, it gives both Gaudreau and Grimaldi two bigger guys to work with, and it will allow them to dictate the pace of play for their line. They have the puck on their stick, and have two bigger forwards that can work the corners to get them the puck, and crash and bang in front of the net.
I can't believe how highly touted the first US line was, as they seem to be playing pretty badly. Grimaldi is a sparkplug and is all over the place, but there's no chemistry on that line. Of the three, I think Miller has been the most disappointing, though.

Quote:
Yep, and like CanadianFlyer said, the D core isn't good enough to cover up the mistakes

Another issue I've seen is chemistry which should come with more games played
Well, there's also Binnington, who acquitted himself quite nicely in the preliminary game, leading up to the tournament. I don't think Subban has been terrible, but for someone as hyped as him he's been somewhat shaky. But sometimes players play better when they're facing tougher opposition, so it's hard to judge from these games against Germany and Slovakia.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:12 PM
PantherStriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Yeah, I was pissed off at his play, as well, no passing whatsoever. Same with Grigorenko against Germany. They both have great individual skills, but such play doesn't lead anywhere. But I think or at least hope that with Yakupov it wasn't so much selfishness, it was just him carrying a big burden as a highly touted future star, captain of the team and Russia playing at home. I don't think he was lazy and just wanted to cruise and stickhandle, as he did backcheck and play hard on the defense.
His two shot blocks had me laughing. Ending up sprawling on his back trying to avoid the shot on his first attempt, and going head first (but blocking it at a key moment) was gutsy. I think the crowd also put a big burden on him mentlaly

PantherStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:57 AM
SolidSnakeUS

At least Ghost didn't suck in the loss.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 09:09 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Ghost is, without question, the best non-first round pick the Flyers have made in eons. Probably going back to Patrick Sharp. They have to not do something stupid, such as trade him. If a high-end defensemen becomes available, then, obviously. His development is more important to this team than Laughton, which seems silly to say, but our defensemen aren't getting younger, and the plan seems to be "hope another team will give one away."

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:05 AM
RussianRocket10

I hate when Canada beats USA.

RussianRocket10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:09 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
I hate when Canada beats USA.
I love it

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Ghost is, without question, the best non-first round pick the Flyers have made in eons. Probably going back to Patrick Sharp. They have to not do something stupid, such as trade him. If a high-end defensemen becomes available, then, obviously. His development is more important to this team than Laughton, which seems silly to say, but our defensemen aren't getting younger, and the plan seems to be "hope another team will give one away."
If you read the Rangers board, they are convinced he's the second coming of Matt Gilroy lol.

I think he has been the 2nd or 3rd best dman on team USA so far this tourney. He is not physical, at all, but he has been better defensively than what I originally thought. He's smart, a great skater, and savvy in the offensive zone.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:29 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
If you read the Rangers board, they are convinced he's the second coming of Matt Gilroy lol.

I think he has been the 2nd or 3rd best dman on team USA so far this tourney. He is not physical, at all, but he has been better defensively than what I originally thought. He's smart, a great skater, and savvy in the offensive zone.
The one dude is mad cause Skjei was cut over Ghost. Skjei has been horrendous all season and they need a way to make themselves feel better. I guess attacking a Philly player does that.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:23 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:

I think it's funnier reading how some think (from the Rangers board) that he's horrendous at D, pinching at horrible times and giving up the puck when I can maybe count only once when a puck went off a USA forward and went to a Canada d-man.

Either way, USA NEEDS to win in regulation or OTW to move on. Hopefully they wake up and not suck at offense.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:26 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The one dude is mad cause Skjei was cut over Ghost. Skjei has been horrendous all season and they need a way to make themselves feel better. I guess attacking a Philly player does that.
Kris Kreider's performance isn't helping either.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Speaking of Rangers prospects.

JT Miller has been absolutely terrible

12-30-2012, 04:06 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:

I think that's an understatement. Still can't believe they still make him the top line center... just ugh...

Old
12-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

I think Kuraly is the top line center

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:18 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Against Canada, I don't think he was.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:07 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Against Canada, I don't think he was.
Was on the ice in the last minute of the game while trailing with one goal.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

They need to switch Galchenyuk back to C.

He's better at center than when he's a winger.

He's only at a wing position now to get Kuraly's faceoff skills

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Ryker

Quote:

Indeed. Maybe it's becoming a trend with some of the highly touted US forwards. Look at Etem last year, tearing up the WHL, and then sucking pretty badly in the WJC.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:56 PM
RussianRocket10

Well USA vs. Slovakia at 5am EST tomorrow. USA needs to win to have a chance at a medal.

RussianRocket10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:53 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

US had just run into superior goaltending so far. Not that the US goaltending hasnt been good enough, it has. Just have to find a way to get the puck in the net.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:29 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
We both know he'll be traded for Jody Shelley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
US had just run into superior goaltending so far. Not that the US goaltending hasnt been good enough, it has. Just have to find a way to get the puck in the net.
I've only watched about 2.5 games, but I get the same vibe. US offense just isn't getting dirty goals, and from what I saw was trying to be to fancy. It wasn't working. On the other hand, a lot of the goals against have come from the other team doing those things.

12-31-2012, 02:04 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post

I've only watched about 2.5 games, but I get the same vibe. US offense just isn't getting dirty goals, and from what I saw was trying to be to fancy. It wasn't working. On the other hand, a lot of the goals against have come from the other team doing those things.
yup, they need to start going to the net. if they arent willing to score those dirty goals then they can at least make it difficult for the goalie to see the shooter.
Teams like Canada and Russia goaltending is too good if they can see the puck.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:19 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
We both know he'll be traded for Jody Shelley.
This is acceptable just for the lone fact that it would require Jody Shelley to no longer be on the team to be traded for. I will cherish that short period of time.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote