HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Highest Potential: RNH vs Tavares vs Landeskog vs Hall

View Poll Results: Who has the highest potential
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 83 18.99%
John Tavares 323 73.91%
Gabriel Landeskog 19 4.35%
Taylor Hall 12 2.75%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-30-2012, 03:23 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

vCash: 500
Tavares.

I would like to home for Landeskog but for now, it's RNH.
Landy has an excellent all around game and if he can bring his offense to the next level, he can be greater than RNH

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:14 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Tavares > Hopkins >> Hall >> Lando

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:36 AM
Falconator

Depends what you mean by "potential". Because the way this thread is turning out, it's a points only contest. Landeskog and Hall will almost certainly never get as many points as Tavares and RNH, they play a vastly different game. Even Tavares and RNH are different in that RNH is much more skilled than JT, but Tavares work ethic is so great.

Also, I'd say John Tavares has already reached his potential. He was 7th in league scoring last year, that's pretty damn good if you ask me! It might take Ryan Nuggent Hopkins two more years, but he'll be a top ten scorer as well. He's just way to skilled not to be. If he can stay healthy.

If you're strictly looking at points, this would be my best guess. Keep in mind, they're all great young players!!!

Ryan Nuggent Hopkins
John Tavares
Taylor Hall
Gabriel Landeskog

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:15 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
Depends what you mean by "potential". Because the way this thread is turning out, it's a points only contest. Landeskog and Hall will almost certainly never get as many points as Tavares and RNH, they play a vastly different game. Even Tavares and RNH are different in that RNH is much more skilled than JT, but Tavares work ethic is so great.

Also, I'd say John Tavares has already reached his potential. He was 7th in league scoring last year, that's pretty damn good if you ask me! It might take Ryan Nuggent Hopkins two more years, but he'll be a top ten scorer as well. He's just way to skilled not to be. If he can stay healthy.

If you're strictly looking at points, this would be my best guess. Keep in mind, they're all great young players!!!

Ryan Nuggent Hopkins
John Tavares
Taylor Hall
Gabriel Landeskog
lol good one

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:51 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Tavares
RNH
Hall/Landeskog

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 50
RNH/Taveres
Hall

Landeskog

I chose RNH, because it was how my coin landed.

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:41 AM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Stamkos, I'll agree with you, but no way is he on the other 3's level sorry.

All 3 at one point or another have had WORSE linemates then Tavares and have produces elite numbers, Tavares hasn't shown he can do the same. Took him 3 seasons to reach ppg, those other 3 came out ppg off the bat.
It seems to me like you're having trouble grasping the concept of potential. Nobody is saying that Tavares is as good as Stamkos or Ovechkin right now, or that he even necessarily will be, I'm saying he has the potential to be. Personally, I don't think he will, but from a pure potential standpoint I think he is absolutely on their level. Potential is not how good a player is or even how good they will be, potential is how good a player can be. Will Tavares have a season as good as Ovechkin's best seasons? Probably not, but I think he has the skill that it's within the realm of possibility.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Christmas Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Tavares AINE(that)C

Christmas Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:58 AM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconator View Post

Ryan Nuggent Hopkins
John Tavares
Taylor Hall
Gabriel Landeskog
His potential is off the charts. He hasn't even come close to his potential. In my opinion, Tavares is, and will be far better than Giroux in the long run.

CanadienShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:05 PM
OzzyFan

Since this is more widespread than I thought, what does everyone think Tavare's potential ceiling is then? 40goals/100pts? higher or lower? What about RNH? I'm curious. Obviously there is the linemates/PPlinemates argument, growth curve, etc, etc. But I'm wondering. Not to bust ball or throw out crazy guesstimates, but if Tavares had a healthy St.Louis from 2 years ago on his wing last year and Moulson his left, I wouldn't be surprised to have seen him put up 35goals/90-95pts last season, possibly more.

OzzyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:08 PM
mpp9

Tavares is a top ten player in the game right now and only getting better. I'll take the proven franchise player.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:21 PM
jigglysquishy

In terms of potential?

Tavares, AINEC

Tavares has the highest potential of any player post-Crosby. To put up 40 goals/90 assists would not be outside his realm of potential.

For reference, I think Crosby's potential is peaked at 50 goals/90 assists.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

vCash: 543
Tavares. AINEC

He just knows how to dominate the game every single time he's on the ice. Couple that with his incredible work ethic to be better than himself and his newfound speed and he's definitely has the potential to be one of the greatest players in the game today (if not the greatest). Btw, not an islander fan.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
compared to the other players on this poll he is
Funny, but true.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
I can see Tavares potentially becoming the fourth best player in the NHL, in the next year or two. That doesn't seem that great, unless you consider how good the top three (Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos) really are. I think JT will end up pretty close to Stamkos but a clear tier below Sid and Geno.
That could happen. I think he can consistently be at the level Spezza was last season or Giroux was last season... which is a bit better than Tavares was. Maybe even a bit better than that. I don't see him being on the Malkin or Crosby or earlier Ovechkin level of play. He could steal a Hart trophy in an off year by the best of the best like Sedin. I think he will consistently improve for several more years but not in a dramtic way. He is getting close to his potential now.... 80-90 point guy that is a dominating presence and a leader.

But I pick Nugent-Hopkins as having more POTENTIAL. Tavares is older and a proven commodity. Nugent-Hopkins COULD be better. He could win Art Ross Trophies. He is incredibly talented. He is also less proven, has had some injuries and is small. He is not a guarantee like Tavares is. I would not trade Tavares for Nugent-Hopkins if I was the Islanders. Tavares is currently the better player and shows no reason that he won't continue to improve. But based on Potential... Nugent-Hopkins has the potential to be the top scorer in the NHL... to peak offensively at a ridiculously high level.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
It seems to me like you're having trouble grasping the concept of potential. Nobody is saying that Tavares is as good as Stamkos or Ovechkin right now, or that he even necessarily will be, I'm saying he has the potential to be. Personally, I don't think he will, but from a pure potential standpoint I think he is absolutely on their level. Potential is not how good a player is or even how good they will be, potential is how good a player can be. Will Tavares have a season as good as Ovechkin's best seasons? Probably not, but I think he has the skill that it's within the realm of possibility.
And from what we've seen,

Crosby has the potential to be a 130+ point player, Malkin to be a 120+ point player, and Ovechkin definitely had 70 goal potential, John Tavares doesn't have any of that, see how they're above him potential wise? It's a whole other level. He has 100 point potential, but lots of players do, these guys are a step above that.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:42 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 950
Quote:
And from what we've seen,

Crosby has the potential to be a 130+ point player, Malkin to be a 120+ point player, and Ovechkin definitely had 70 goal potential, John Tavares doesn't have any of that, see how they're above him potential wise? It's a whole other level. He has 100 point potential, but lots of players do, these guys are a step above that.
Lots of guys have 100 point potential? That is news to me. 1 player hit 100 points last year. Just because you have the potential to hit 100 points does not mean you will. Tavares has potential to be a 40g-75a if he hits his full potential and has a good team around him. All of these guys you listed have elite players around them. Ovechkin has Backstrom, Greene, and in the past Semin. Crosby and Malkin have one another, as well as Neal, Letang, and a group of great players around them. Put Tavares on a team like Pittsburgh and he could hit 100 points annually. I do think Crosby and Malkin have the highest ceilings in the NHL, but in my opinion those are the only 2 players with higher ceilings than Tavares. And I watch 15+ penguin games a year and 75+ isles games a year.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:25 PM
The Big Unit

Tavares in his rookie season had 54 points in 82 games and was -15. He had 67 points in 79 games in his second season and was -16. Last season he had 81 points in 82 games and was -6.

RNH in his rookie season had 52 points in 62 games and was -2. This season in the AHL he has 20 points in 19 games and is +7.

Based on those two metrics, you can't argue that Tavares has more POTENTIAL going forward than RNH. I understand there's more to it than simply points but when both RNH and Tavares were drafted they went to the worst team in the NHL. In the long run I see RNH's chances of winning an Art Ross to be much higher than Tavares.

Just for good measure here's another guy who isn't on the list but will have a major impact on RNH's career success along with Hall.

Jordan Eberle's rookie season saw him score 43 points in 69 games and he was -12. In his second season he scored 76 points in 78 games and was a plus 4 on the 29th place team in the NHL.

Both RNH and Eberle are better defensively than Tavares based on what we've seen so far. Throw in the potential future contributions of Hall, Yakupov and Justin Schultz and I see the career potential of RNH to be higher than Tavares.

The Big Unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
Lots of guys have 100 point potential? That is news to me. 1 player hit 100 points last year. Just because you have the potential to hit 100 points does not mean you will. Tavares has potential to be a 40g-75a if he hits his full potential and has a good team around him. All of these guys you listed have elite players around them. Ovechkin has Backstrom, Greene, and in the past Semin. Crosby and Malkin have one another, as well as Neal, Letang, and a group of great players around them. Put Tavares on a team like Pittsburgh and he could hit 100 points annually. I do think Crosby and Malkin have the highest ceilings in the NHL, but in my opinion those are the only 2 players with higher ceilings than Tavares. And I watch 15+ penguin games a year and 75+ isles games a year.
Please, Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin have 100 point potential with any 3rd line scrub, Tavares doesn't, that's their clear separation. If you want to argue that he needs elite linemates to produce elite numbers, we'll put him on the same potential category as Heatley.

"Just because you have the potential to hit 100 points does not mean you will", umm exactly? Tavares isn't a 100 point guy yet either btw.. and who knows if he'll hit it, so he's in that same boat.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

Quote:
Please, Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin have 100 point potential with any 3rd line scrub, Tavares doesn't, that's their clear separation. If you want to argue that he needs elite linemates to produce elite numbers, we'll put him on the same potential category as Heatley.

"Just because you have the potential to hit 100 points does not mean you will", umm exactly? Tavares isn't a 100 point guy yet either btw.. and who knows if he'll hit it, so he's in that same boat.
In your opinion.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
In your opinion.
No it's fact, they've all done it. He can't.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Crosby - Dupuis, Guerin
Malkin - Fedotenko, Sykora
Ovechkin - Zubrus, Pettinger/Clark

All 3rd line players.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Oilin Toronto

All 4 players are fantastic players, and are going to be excellent for many years to come. However, at this point in time, the sheer numbers suggests that Landy doesn't belong in this conversation. The reason's given:
1) His scoring average is substantially lower than the other 3. As a matter of fact, the scoring average that RNH had as a rookie is closer to Tavares (who is considered the best of of the 4), than it is to Landy.
2) I know that many people are going to say that Landy brings so much more than just scoring to the team. Although that might be true, scoring is at a premium, and is the most valuable commodity. When an 18 year old rookie comes in and single handedly improves a team's power play from one of the worst to the top 5, one cannot argue with that. Also, Hall's intangibles such as compete level, hard work, and leadership level is something that most cannot appreciate unless you are an Oiler fan, and see him play day in and day out. That's the reason why many Oiler fans feel that it is Hall that's destined to be the Oilers captain when they have many worthy candidates. I guess what I'm trying to say is that each and every one of these players have that extra intangible that makes them special... not just Landy. That's why scoring is the way to separate them all.
3) I think RNH's potential is greater than all of the 4 players on this poll, simply because as a rookie, he has outscored JT, Hall and Landy. For those of you that didn't know, his points didn't come because he played with both Hall and Eberle as his linemates for the entire year.
4) IT's a fact that up until the New Year, RNH was averaging almost a pt/gm before he got injured. Upon returning from injury, you could tell that he was a little rusty. Otherwise his pts total would have been substantially higher.

In my opinion, it's too early to tell who has more potential, but one thing seems to be a fact, and that is that HF Boards is severely underrating a guy who was on pace to score more than 35 goals (HALL). All I've got to say is, for one player in this poll, a 35 goal campaign would be a career year.

Oilin Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Crosby - Dupuis, Guerin
Malkin - Fedotenko, Sykora
Ovechkin - Zubrus, Pettinger/Clark

All 3rd line players.
I used "3rd line scrub" to lightly, but those are some pretty damn bad line mates. Makes Moulson and PAP look like all stars.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

Quote:
I thought we were talking about potential. The facts are, he is getting better each season, which tells you he is never satisfied. He has to be better than he was the previous year.