HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 8.0 - "Time on Ice" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 09:31 AM
FrankMTL

vCash: 500
Honestly, I see a solution to this problem as a couple of other posters have mentioned... Gally should be playing center so that he can bring the puck up the ice and distribute it to other players. He can play as a winger in a league where the competition is inferior as he will get the puck one way or another. In the WJC, his center just isn't good enough to see the whole ice and create plays for his wingers as he tends to lose the puck most of the time or make questionable plays. This ends up in broken ways where Gally has to chase after the puck and battle in the corners for it (which he wins quite often). A line has to flow though it's center to have any success and Kuraly has been awful since the fist game against the Germans. He has no creativity at all. I'm not saying Gally can't be better...but its very hard to do so in this situation.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
The accuracy on his shot today was completely off. He must have missed the net 5 times. And then he fanned on it/couldn't control it with 30 seconds left on a golden chance that would have likely gone in.

I find the chemistry on his line to be completely lacking. You watch his Sarnia highlights and that trio just knows where they will be and the passes are always sharp. Not the case here. Team USA must be regretting not taking Boucher.

It's obvious he should be playing center...it was obvious from day 1...but Housley won't change.

He's still got a point on half of his team's goals in this tournament, but in all, the last 2 games he has been disappointing. But I am not too crushed, at the very least it's proof he should NOT be in the NHL this year.

Anna Galchenyuk was hanging out with Nathan MacKinnon's sister during the game...

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 12-30-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old
12-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

One positive is Galchneyuk manages to put up points even when he doesn't play well. I really hope USA shake up lines and moves him to C, it's painfully obvious he's not getting the puck enough. I'll let Miller still be #1 C (he's too loved by coach to stop now) but I'd like to see Galchenyuk at C and move Kuraly to wing to another line. Kuraly isn't even good at faceoffs so that's not an excuse.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:48 AM
GalHabsGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgedias View Post
I think this USA team has some serious flaws. They have alot of speed between the forwards and backline, but they have lots of problems generating scoring chances. They can create some good zone times, but when they get into the oppossing zone, they don't do enough to create good scoring chances. We can blame this on chemistry or just bad line pairings, but I think some people have hit on what is wrong with the USA team.

The lack of creativity upfront is hurting the team. JT Miller, Gaudreau and Grimaldi are more of a checking line then a scoring line to me. Good speed, able to create some turn overs, but other then that, this line has problems good creating scoring chances.

Alex Galchenyuk should be centering his line. He is by far their best skilled player on this line, but Housley insists on using Galchenyuk as a winger and thereby reduces his time with the puck. As a centerman he can hold onto the puck longer, set up plays by either moving from the blueline or moving up to the middle or switching places with a winger. As a winger he is locked into his side of the boards and really wastes his potential as a playmaker. So in the USA game, we see Galchenyuk taking many shots instead of trying to distribute, because that really is all he can do.

Its quite disappointing to see how Galchenyuk is being used. People have noted on the game threads that Galchenyuk has disappeared for long stretches and yes he has, but as a winger, he is totally reliant on his centerman to make plays and at the moment, he isn't paired with a centerman that can be a playmaker. He needs to be switched back to his more natural position and help his team be better by playmaking for his line and on the PP. Even though Galchenyuk picked up an assist in the Canada game and has a 3 game point streak, the abysmal USA offense isn't going anywhere.

I seriously hope Phil Housley makes some serious line up chances, but the after game interview, he talked about taking bad penalties, so I don't know if he thinks the lack of creativity is a problem.
Thats loo a lot like Gomez (and if I remember correctly he is AMERICAN) .

Old
12-30-2012, 09:58 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Glad to see I didn't miss much.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:15 AM
overlords
Hfboards

I really can't stand Kuraly centering gally.

Also, I hate huberdeau. Cocky little ****.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I really can't stand Kuraly centering gally.

Also, I hate huberdeau. Cocky little ****.
Who are you?

Old
12-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Andy

LMFAO at the mainboards. "Seth Jones sucks" "Galchenyuk sucks" etc etc.

US players are receiving zero guidance from behind the bench. Despite how "crappy" and "invisible" Galchenyuk is, he's participated in 50% of the US goals and set up their last two goals. He isn't getting the puck enough, it's blatantly obvious and very frustrating to see that the coach doesn't notice this.

There is also absolutley no reason why Grimaldi, Miller and Gardreau should have recieved first-wave powerplay time over Gachenyuk when they have done NOTHING all tournament.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:21 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
Who are you?

I hate his crooked tarantino face.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:24 AM
pcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
LMFAO at the mainboards. "Seth Jones sucks" "Galchenyuk sucks" etc etc.

US players are receiving zero guidance from behind the bench. Despite how "crappy" and "invisible" Galchenyuk is, he's participated in 50% of the US goals and set up their last two goals. He isn't getting the puck enough, it's blatantly obvious and very frustrating to see that the coach doesn't notice this.

There is also absolutley no reason why Grimaldi, Miller and Gardreau should have recieved first-wave powerplay time over Gachenyuk when they have done NOTHING all tournament.
You could almost say he participated at 5/6 goals for USA since he didnt play alot after it was 4-0 against Germany and contributed on 3 goals

Old
12-30-2012, 10:34 AM
That

You can blame it on his line mates or coaching, but at the end of the day Galchenyuk has to play better.

In Sarnia when they need a goal Galchenyuk takes charge, he hasn't done that yet.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
You can blame it on his line mates or coaching, but at the end of the day Galchenyuk has to play better.

In Sarnia when they need a goal Galchenyuk takes charge, he hasn't done that yet.
I agree that he does need to play better. However, he hasn't got much to work with at the same time. His teammates rarely get the puck to him successfully. I can't even count all the times the play died of Kuraly's stick this morning. Almost everytime Galchenyuk had the puck, something happened, even if the chance was obscure.

But you are right, Galchenyuk is waiting on the wing for the puck to often, needs to be more engaged if he doesn't have the puck.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:03 AM
pcamp

Proposal: Trouba to Montreal... We could hear often Galchenyuk to Trouba one timer and he scores

Old
12-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
I agree that he does need to play better. However, he hasn't got much to work with at the same time. His teammates rarely get the puck to him successfully. I can't even count all the times the play died of Kuraly's stick this morning. Almost everytime Galchenyuk had the puck, something happened, even if the chance was obscure.

But you are right, Galchenyuk is waiting on the wing for the puck to often, needs to be more engaged if he doesn't have the puck.
So, the numerous misplays and fanning on the puck today were connected to the coach and teammates
in what way?

Old
12-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
So, the numerous misplays and fanning on the puck today were connected to the coach and teammates
in what way?
Point to the sentence in my post where I said that.

like I said

Quote:
Galchenyuk is waiting on the wing for the puck too often, needs to be more engaged if he doesn't have the puck.
Also, it's up to a coach to exploit his player's strengths, Housley hasn't done that. Everyone outside of Trouba and Gibson have looked average to bad.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:09 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post

I agree. I find it laughable that it's all Housley's Fault even though I agree his coaching isn't the best. Gally has been largely invisible. This tournament has very little indication of how he'll be as a player, but for the tournament itself, he's been pretty meh.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:13 AM
btfbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Honestly, I see a solution to this problem as a couple of other posters have mentioned... Gally should be playing center so that he can bring the puck up the ice and distribute it to other players. He can play as a winger in a league where the competition is inferior as he will get the puck one way or another. In the WJC, his center just isn't good enough to see the whole ice and create plays for his wingers as he tends to lose the puck most of the time or make questionable plays. This ends up in broken ways where Gally has to chase after the puck and battle in the corners for it (which he wins quite often). A line has to flow though it's center to have any success and Kuraly has been awful since the fist game against the Germans. He has no creativity at all. I'm not saying Gally can't be better...but its very hard to do so in this situation.
Has anyone explored the fact that maybe the habs brass has let it be known that they would only let Gally be available if he was only used as a winger... he is a little over a year away from major knee surgery, it only makes sense why Sarnia and USA aren't making the obvious move.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:15 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by btfbird View Post
Has anyone explored the fact that maybe the habs brass has let it be known that they would only let Gally be available if he was only used as a winger... he is a little over a year away from major knee surgery, it only makes sense why Sarnia and USA aren't making the obvious move.
Can't imagine this tbh.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
The US just isn't a very good team. Starts behind the bench.
Quote:
Put Galcheyuk on the ice and give him the ****ing puck.
Quote:
US has scored 10 goals and Galchenyuk has points on 5 of them. Housley take a hint
Quote:
If housley still roles 4 lines with 4 min left he's an idiot
Quote:
Housley is an idiot. You score a goal, momentum is up and you play your 3rd and 4th lines. Result: a series of penalties.
Quote:
Galchenyuk better be on the ice.
Quote:
Awful awful awful Coaching

The player wasn't sharp today end of story. Might mean he's got some growing to do might mean he had a bad day but to blame the coach every 5 minutes is pointless.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
The player wasn't sharp today end of story. Might mean he's got some growing to do might mean he had a bad day but to blame the coach every 5 minutes is pointless.
Again, where did I say that Galchenyuk whiffed on chances and turned over pucks because of coaching? Half those posts have nothing to do with Galchenyuk.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I hate his crooked tarantino face.
I wish we had sucked in 2010-2011 instead of 2011-2012, because with the same circumstances we would have drafted Huberdeau instead of Galchenyuk.

Yes, I said it, now flame me HF.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I wish we had sucked in 2010-2011 instead of 2011-2012, because with the same circumstances we would have drafted Huberdeau instead of Galchenyuk.

Maybe. We'll find out in a couple of years.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post

Galchenyuk is bigger and better...plus a year younger. No brainer.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:40 AM
pcamp

Galchenyuk is gonna go shoot some pucks tonight ...

Old
12-30-2012, 11:42 AM
CP31

It was really annoying how little he had the puck today

Closed Thread