HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

LeBrun: 10 ways to recover from lockout

Old
12-29-2012, 06:54 AM
Xref

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
In the playoffs, you don't get a loser point for losing. If you lose in the playoffs, the other team is one more game closer to eliminating you from competition. Losers get no compensation for OT losses in the playoffs. It should be the same way in the regular season.
Exactly why I'd like to see the NHL eliminate ties and shootouts in the reg season, and hav the teams keep playing til there is a winner. Changing the rules for the playoffs is hokey, imo.

Xref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 06:58 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xref View Post
Exactly why I'd like to see the NHL eliminate ties and shootouts in the reg season, and hav the teams keep playing til there is a winner. Changing the rules for the playoffs is hokey, imo.
There's no way you can have 3 or 4 OT games in the regular season when teams are frequently playing in one city one night and the next city the next night (which seldom happens in the playoffs, even less often when there's real travel involved). Fans aren't going to stick around for those games anyway, I'm not going to watch or stay at Game #36 of the regular season in December for a third OT when I have work the next day and it's a lousy point or two on the line.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:06 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
6. The pre-season isn't a cash cow for the NHL. According to Daley when they cancelled the pre-season this year, it was ~100m in revenues. That's 3% of the leagues revenue. It's a drop in the bucket. I think the majority of the players benefit from the pre-season more than the owners. This is where younger players, rookies and AHL types get a shot to shine without hurting the club.
Speaking of the preseason, it would be nice to have the season ticket holders not get stuck with preseason costs, and just put preseason games in different locations around your area so other fans who live far away from the NHL arena can at least see them in preseason. For example, have the Devils play a preseason home game in Albany to garner local interest in the parent club there, have one in Atlantic City and maybe Trenton too.

I understand why they don't do it and just have the sth's get stuck with preseason tickets and giving away vouchers to up attendance for the short-term cash grab but long-term you could grow your market a little bit taking the team into other locations close by. You'd make the fans in that area happy and you'd make the sth's happy by not forcing them to pay a sunk cost for games they're not likely to go to anyway. It's not like you couldn't fit the amount of people that would go to preseason games into the college/minor league arenas you'd have to play.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Xref

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
There's no way you can have 3 or 4 OT games in the regular season when teams are frequently playing in one city one night and the next city the next night (which seldom happens in the playoffs, even less often when there's real travel involved). Fans aren't going to stick around for those games anyway, I'm not going to watch or stay at Game #36 of the regular season in December for a third OT when I have work the next day and it's a lousy point or two on the line.
Baseball teams do it. Hockey can too. They are big boys. The fans will stay.

Xref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:08 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
A) Baseball's not anywhere near as physically taxing as hockey on the players, and postgame travel isn't as frequent (twenty-seven road series a year compared to forty-one road games in hockey)
B) The percentage of games that go into OT in hockey is a bit higher than the percentage of games that go into extra innings in baseball, and the likelihood of multiple OT's is far greater considering you're still facing a first or second-string goalie in hockey while you're facing the worst bullpen pitchers in baseball extra innings
C) Fans don't stick around for marathon extra-inning games in the regular season either...did you see Yankee Stadium in September, on a SATURDAY AFTERNOON against the A's when they had that 15-inning game or whatever it was? There was nobody in the building by the end of it (when there was still daylight, on a weekend mind you) and that was a huge late-season game.

Last edited by NJDevs26: 12-29-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old
12-29-2012, 08:11 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I am sure the new team owners in Europe would love having to take orders from the owners of the Flyers, Bruins and the other small cabal of owners that run the NHL with little interest in growing the game as long as they make theirs.

To be fair the NHL has so severely damaged their brand in the US outside the US Northeast/Midwest that they really have no other choice other than to go to Europe or put teams in increasingly small Canadian markets with limited upside.

The only question left is if there are people with deep pockets who think there is actually money to be made offering North American fans an alternative to the NHL.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:16 AM
Confucius

Quote:
I bet the real reason is, the TV networks will switch to other programming while the game is still going on. Which would just do more damage to the league image. I can just see it, the game is tied 2/2 and the TV goes to infomercials in some markets.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:21 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
I bet the real reason is the TV networks will switch to other programming while the game is still going on. Which would just do more damage to the league image. I can just see it, the game is tied 2/2 and the TV goes to infomercials in some markets.
That too lol...even a playoff game got switched to VERSUS from NBC during OT a while back when they had to make way for the Kentucky Derby.

NFL is never going to have unlimited OT's either but it isn't usually an issue cause games don't stay tied past the one extra period anyway. The NBA OT's last maybe 15-20 minutes a most over their mini-periods so unlimited OT is not an issue there. MLB even if teams run into an 18-inning game can rest people the next game since it's only 1 of 162. NHL it'd be a lot harder to recover from one of those games physically or in the standings.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:39 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Missing the point.

If a team gets enough ties to be all that interesting, it's playing better hockey than a team that wins more games but loses more games, because it's playing more consistently at a competitive level. I'll take consistency over boom and bust, because come playoff time, "bust" is just as likely as "boom."

And if your boom and bust squad gets a lot of its "boom" from picking up the "winner point," I like my chances even better, because that's not a factor in the postseason.
So let me get this straight... You'd rather watch the Florida Panthers than the New York Rangers? Ok...

No, I'm not missing the point. More often than not those kind of teams that take a bunch of games to OT and rack up loser points aren't playing as interesting hockey as say the Detroit Red Wings. More often than not it's those teams inhabiting the cellar of the playoff teams. Case in point last year: the two 8 seeds also had the highest or second highest record of OT losses (Panthers racked up 18 loser points to put them over Washington, who won more games and lost fewer games than Florida). That's not "consistency," that's just flat out unfair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Right. In the playoffs you don't close tie games with a side show, you close it with hockey. It's not the same thing...
Not really the point I'm trying to make. There is a difference between the regular season and the postseason in terms of length of game. The games have to end at some point in the regular season due to the regular season schedule. Imagine a game going into 3OT and then the road team has to leave late in the morning for their next destination... Yuck. You also have the physically taxing nature of games that go into multiple OTs to consider as well. Imagine if that happened on the front end of a back-to-back... Easy win for the other team playing that team on the second night I bet. You can get away with that in the postseason because you are playing one team at a time with a break in between games.

What I'm advocating, though, is what you can change in the regular season that won't have a physically exhausting impact on the players, which is get rid of the point awarded to the loser. It's not awarded in the playoffs, and it shouldn't be awarded in the regular season either.

Last edited by JmanWingsFan: 12-29-2012 at 08:47 AM.
JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
So let me get this straight... You'd rather watch the Florida Panthers than the New York Rangers? Ok...
No, but I might prefer watching the Nashville Predators or the Los Angeles Kings to the Vancouver Canucks.

If you're dependent on the power play and the skills competition at the end of games to thrive, don't be shocked when the playoffs don't come easy for you.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:38 AM
jiggy35

I like the idea of a Euro expansion some time in the future, but it won't be within the next 5 years.
Maybe they could ease into it by having teams that dont make the playoffs go to Europe and have some sort of playoff/tournament against the top teams there.

jiggy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:02 AM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Hearing some fans rant about southern teams is annoying enough. I can't imagine how annoyingly stuck up they'd be if there was a European division in the NHL.
I think it would be funny to hear a bunch of Eurosnobs rant about how there shouldn't be teams in Edmonton and Calgary.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:10 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
That's why baseball has a homerun derby after 9 innings

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Isles72

getting center ice free for rest of season would be nice .

however , if they are smart businessmen , they'd offer it for free so long as you commit to paying regular price for it in 13-14.

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote