Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Worst Football game you have watched?

Old
12-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
This is the game I was thinking of when I brought up the snow game. I was saying to myself was the game Derek Anderson went 2-17 and Cleveland won that game in the snow?
I vaguely remember that snow game. I think that was in 2008. Marshawn Lynch had a rushing TD.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:09 AM
BPR*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
That game is defientley on my top 5 in terms of college games watched. A few years ago Auburn beat Mississippi State 3-2 .
Came here to nominate that classic. I watched the entire game even though it was a Saturday night so I should have either been socializing or watching better games. No idea what caused me to stick through the whole game, but I'm sort of glad I did in the end. The game has become the stuff of legend in some circles.

BPR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:30 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
There was a Bears/Cowboys Thanksgiving game that was awful too. Julius Jones had a big day, I think R.W. McQuarters had a pick-6. The quarterbacking was a disaster though, Craig Krenzel was one, Vinny Testeverde I think played? Chad Hutchinson may have played for both teams. It was 7-7 and I was convinced it was going to end that way, but Dallas won 21-7

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
There was a Bears/Cowboys Thanksgiving game that was awful too. Julius Jones had a big day, I think R.W. McQuarters had a pick-6. The quarterbacking was a disaster though, Craig Krenzel was won, Vinny Testeverde I think played? Chad Hutchinson may have played for both teams.
Jonathan Quinn came in for relief of injured Krenzel that week and was brutal for Bears

It was that game that led to Hutchinson getting starts rest of year (He was Bears #3 QB at that point)

Vinny Testeverde and Drew Henson played QB for Cowboys that game

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:38 AM
davebenj

Lol, I knew Rutgers was going to blow it. They are the bad news bears. Anyway to answer the question, I had a lot of money on the 2003 Bucs vs Colts game (the one where the Colts came back after losing by like 20 with hardly anytime left on Monday night) I was really depressed after that one.

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:47 PM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The Bills/Browns game ened 8-0, but it was not a terrible game because it was a snow storm and thus makes it amazing
I agree. Games in brutal weather are awesome because they are so unpredictable.

I'd go with either the Bills/Browns game that ended 6-3 (and may have been a tie if not for a botched punt return)

or a god awful Monday nighter in Pittsburgh in which the steelers won 3-0 due to terrible field conditions.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Another candidate: The day the Texans scored half as many points as they had yards...and won. As an expansion team. To a playoff team.

Week 14 2002 - Houston Texans @ Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Steelers had 422 yards of offense to Houston's 47.
24 first downs to Houston's 3.
Tommy Maddox had 325 yards passing to David Carr's 33.

Houston won...and it wasn't close. 24-3.

Oh, Tommy Boy...3 plays went right from his hands into his own endzone, two pick-sixes and an inexplicable fumble with no one anywhere near him.

47 yards of offense. The lowest amount by a winning team in NFL history, and a number I don't expect to be challenged anytime soon. Even in that mud field condition against the Dolphins in 2007 the Steelers were able to put together 216 yards (Miami even had 159).

The Steelers had lost only 1 of their previous 8 games on top of it. I've never been so perplexed in my life.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Any CFL game is worse than those mentioned in this thread.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
That breakdown of the playoff game in post 57 is unreal. I am sure I watched that game, but can't remember it. Crazy

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:22 PM
nWo
New World Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Another candidate: The day the Texans scored half as many points as they had yards...and won. As an expansion team. To a playoff team.

Week 14 2002 - Houston Texans @ Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Steelers had 422 yards of offense to Houston's 47.
24 first downs to Houston's 3.
Tommy Maddox had 325 yards passing to David Carr's 33.

Houston won...and it wasn't close. 24-3.

Oh, Tommy Boy...3 plays went right from his hands into his own endzone, two pick-sixes and an inexplicable fumble with no one anywhere near him.

47 yards of offense. The lowest amount by a winning team in NFL history, and a number I don't expect to be challenged anytime soon. Even in that mud field condition against the Dolphins in 2007 the Steelers were able to put together 216 yards (Miami even had 159).

The Steelers had lost only 1 of their previous 8 games on top of it. I've never been so perplexed in my life.
During Raiders' 2-14 season (2006), they defeated the Steelers in similar circonstances (Steelers outgaining the Raiders in yards).

Speaking of them Raiders, this season's 15-0 shutout of the Chiefs was pretty bad (I didn't watch it and I feel sorry for every one that did but yeah, judging by the score, it was the worst win by the Raiders in recent memory).....but then again, most of their games sucked since 2003.

nWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:38 PM
DrillingForOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Any CFL game is worse than those mentioned in this thread.
I absolutely disagree with you. While the NFL has better players compared to the CFL, the rules in their game make for a more boring and dull viewing experience....Unless you actually like watching only 11 minutes of football and 75 minutes worth of commercials.

Don't get me wrong though, there have certainly some bad games played in the CFL, just like any other league.

DrillingForOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:37 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
IU/UW this season.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:12 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central PA Hawk Fan View Post
The "6-4" game aka PSU/Iowa 2004

I legitimately questioned my fandom after that game, I almost thought it was no longer worth it (the one and only time I did it btw). What an awful game, Iowa taking two safetys because they didn't even feel threatened of PSU kicking a field goal.
there was a game between Rhode Island and UMASS that ended with Rhode Island winning 12-6 in OT in nov of 2007. Umass scored all their points on safeties. Like that game this game was played in brutal weather. heavy wind and rain.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:26 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

This one

D. Anderson: 2/17, 23 yards, INT
T. Edwards: 16/31, 152 yards, INT

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:36 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I remember watching Oilers vs Colts, at least I remember it being that and the game was so bad I don't think they were even talking about the game after first quarter. If the teams weren't exchanging punts, they were turning the ball over in the redzone.

I think the game ended 6-3 or something like that.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
The Pittsburgh/Tennessee game today was one of worst NFL games I have seen recently.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 03:40 PM
PanthersPens62
#KidK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
The Pittsburgh/Tennessee game today was one of worst NFL games I have seen recently.
I didn't watch it, but was following it on Redzone, and somehow had a feeling someone would mention it here. Goodness its going to be a longggggggggggg year in The Burgh.

PanthersPens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 04:59 PM
TheMurdocktor
102, Row K, Seat 4

Cardinals/Jets last year.

TheMurdocktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 05:51 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Live, first time at Soldier Field, in December 2011, watching the Chiefs beat the Bears 10-3. It wasn't a defensive battle as much as it was a lesson in offensive ineptitude.

The only touchdown of the game was thrown by NFL legend Tyler Palko on a first half ending hail mary that Brian Urlacher knocked down into the hands on a receiver (Dexter McCluster) who was falling to the turf.

The teams combined for just over 400 yards in total offense. Ugly doesn't even begin to describe that game.

09-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Live, first time at Soldier Field, in December 2011, watching the Chiefs beat the Bears 10-3. It wasn't a defensive battle as much as it was a lesson in offensive ineptitude.

The only touchdown of the game was thrown by NFL legend Tyler Palko on a first half ending hail mary that Brian Urlacher knocked down into the hands on a receiver (Dexter McCluster) who was falling to the turf.

The teams combined for just over 400 yards in total offense. Ugly doesn't even begin to describe that game.
Caleb Hanie 11-24 for 133 yds and 3 INT's

So many terrible games involving terrible Chicago QB's ,,, If Only Cutler didn't get hurt

Old
09-08-2013, 06:51 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Washington State at USC last night. My god.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 07:53 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
I vaguely remember that snow game. I think that was in 2008. Marshawn Lynch had a rushing TD.
Thought the snow game was the one Roscoe Parrish muffed the punt and let Cleveland win? (EDIT: Nope, that was the 6-3 game linked earlier in this thread).

Bills/Browns have really played some great futility bowl games.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 08:14 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Steelers/Panthers in December 06 at BofA. The Steelers won 37-3, the lack of effort from the Panthers this day was appalling, and it didn't help the stadium had way more Steeler fans than Panther fans.

Not that it would have been much different in say September, but the Panthers had already been long eliminated from playoff contention whereas the Steelers were still in the wild-card hunt, and thus instead of it being 60/40 Steelers, it became something like 80/20 Steelers.

I questioned my fanhood of the Panthers this day quite heavily.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
Not sure if a team can play any worse than the Giants are playing right now. Awful.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 09:36 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
Not sure if a team can play any worse than the Giants are playing right now. Awful.
Ty Detmer was more awful all by himself for Lions once upon a time when he threw 7 INT's