HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 8.0 - "Time on Ice" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 11:45 AM
CP31

vCash: 500
And man he's getting a ton of criticism for one or two so-so games

Old
12-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Bacchus1

Gally is only 18 this year, so he should be eligible next year again if the Habs let him go, right? This kinds of tournaments are great for player development, and confidence/pride building. It would be nice to se him there next year, unless he is ripping it up for the Habs.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Beendair Donedat

The poor kid, I hope he knows what he's getting into coming to Montreal. The internet Bowman's are hard on him tonight, and will love him tomorrow if he plays well... Fickle, Fickle, Fickle.

Thought the entire USA team looked flat, and Housley seemed reluctant to change anything. Canada didn't look much better and looked miserable on their extended 5-3 power play advantage.

Funny how RNH isn't taking much heat for an unnecessary cheap shot along the boards that could have easily led to the USA tying the game with a minute left.

Jacob Trouba has been by far the best defenseman in the tournament that I've watched so far... Kid plays nasty, has a great shot, and is pretty decent defensively. Reinhart wasn't impressive today for Canada, and hasn't impressed me much at all so far... Harrington is solid back there though, and plays a rock steady game.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
The poor kid, I hope he knows what he's getting into coming to Montreal. The internet Bowman's are hard on him tonight, and will love him tomorrow if he plays well... Fickle, Fickle, Fickle.

Thought the entire USA team looked flat, and Housley seemed reluctant to change anything. Canada didn't look much better and looked miserable on their extended 5-3 power play advantage.

Funny how RNH isn't taking much heat for an unnecessary cheap shot along the boards that could have easily led to the USA tying the game with a minute left.

Jacob Trouba has been by far the best defenseman in the tournament that I've watched so far... Kid plays nasty, has a great shot, and is pretty decent defensively. Reinhart wasn't impressive today for Canada, and hasn't impressed me much at all so far... Harrington is solid back there though, and plays a rock steady game.
agreed about Trouba. He's been impressive. By far the best US skater.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:09 PM
PricePkPatch

I thought a player following his coach's gameplan was a good thing?

He was playing on the wing and playing as we asked of him. Had he been assigned a center position, he probably would have had more opportunity to be creative; but that wasn't the case.

Galchenyuk isn't a loose cannon cowboy who starts trying to pull crazy **** and play his own game when he is frustrated. For Junior level, that might be a bad thing (ex: this tournament). For a pro, it might be a good thing.

But I might be talkin' outa my ass. Just happy he is team USA's #1 scorer.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post

This game was watched through the Galchenyuk lense, there wasn't much difference between the teams it came down to a gem by Subban. Could have gone either way . As for the USA they will beat the Slovaks and will be completely back in the race.

Problem with the Internet bowmans is the already inflated expectations they themselves place on a kid who needs to develop no differently than anyone else.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:21 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
This game was watched through the Galchenyuk lense, there wasn't much difference between the teams it came down to a gem by Subban. Could have gone either way . As for the USA they will beat the Slovaks and will be completely back in the race.

Problem with the Internet bowmans is the already inflated expectations they themselves place on a kid who needs to develop no differently than anyone else.
Let's say they do. Do you still organize the team the same way that failed you against the Ruskies and Canucks?

Do you take the chance to work out your new lineups against Slovakia, or you stick to the same as for the rest of the tournament that couldn't get going much against the top contenders?

Old
12-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Personally, I'm happy about Gally's production in the circumstances. He's not on top of his game and his coach is not using his strengths, but he still finds a way to get on the scoresheet.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Let's say they do. Do you still organize the team the same way that failed you against the Ruskies and Canucks?

Do you take the chance to work out your new lineups against Slovakia, or you stick to the same as for the rest of the tournament that couldn't get going much against the top contenders?
The americans fired 42 shots at Russia. They got 37 at Canada . They hit 2 hot goalies and had some discipline problems that jammed them. They werent outclassed in the least by 2 top tournament contenders. I wouldn't change much if I were them.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
You could see that Gally was frustrated 'cause no one ever seemed to pass him the puck. At some points he tried to do too much with the puck in order to get into the game.

Galchenyuk is a puck possesion player with a team full of forward grinders. In fact, the two best offensive players after him in the USA roster are defenceman.

I hope the habs realize that it's ultra important to surround him properly.
You've hit the nail on the head. And also on a not very talented team, the coach has to use them like a grinding team, rolling four lines just maintain their heads above water. Wich penalizes Gal even more.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:50 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
And man he's getting a ton of criticism for one or two so-so games
Seriously.

He's still one of the youngest guys in the top 10 for scoring (after Collberg...) on a not-so-talented team, and not playing his preferred position.

People need to chill.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Sam I Am

You guys realize that Galchenyuk leads the US squad with 5 points in 3 games, tying him for third place in the tournament.

As for the game against Canada, he had an assist on his team's only goal and could easily have tied the game in the dying seconds. All he had to do was put the puck into a wide open net but instead it bounced over his stick. That goes in and every one of you is singing a different tune.

Ease up.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:56 PM
NotProkofievian

Lol, some of you people.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:03 PM
DAChampion

I've been reading all you on this board that Galchenyuk is shortchanged by coaching and teammates in Sarnia and team USA.

Don't know if that's true, but if so, he should be used to it, he was after all drafted by the third worst team in the NHL. Saku Koivu was shortchanged by linemates for 15 years and the best he ever got was Michael Ryder and Chris Higgins.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I've been reading all you on this board that Galchenyuk is shortchanged by coaching and teammates in Sarnia and team USA.

Don't know if that's true, but if so, he should be used to it, he was after all drafted by the third worst team in the NHL. Saku Koivu was shortchanged by linemates for 15 years and the best he ever got was Michael Ryder and Chris Higgins.
Not to derail this thread, but Koivu playing with Recchi (and Savage) was probably better than Higgins and Ryder.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:14 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I wish we had sucked in 2010-2011 instead of 2011-2012, because with the same circumstances we would have drafted Huberdeau instead of Galchenyuk.

Yes, I said it, now flame me HF.
Not sure if trolling or srs.

I'd love to hear an explanation on why you'd do a 1 for 1 swap - gally for hubs - after seeing what gally has done this year. He's got a better shot, better frame, more tenacity, better work ethic and he doesn't dive like a *****.

'Who are you', indeed.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
12-30-2012, 01:18 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Not to derail this thread, but Koivu playing with Recchi (and Savage) was probably better than Higgins and Ryder.
To be fair, that was under previous management.

With that said, nothing suggests Galchenyuk will be surrounded by higher quality in Montreal than he is in either Sarnia or Team USA. We're the third worst team in the league and our farm system is mediocre aside from Galchenyuk.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:25 PM
sharks9

Quote:

With that said, nothing suggests Galchenyuk will be surrounded by higher quality in Montreal than he is in either Sarnia or Team USA. We're the third worst team in the league and our farm system is mediocre aside from Galchenyuk.
Well we already have Pacioretty on the left side so hopefully one of Collberg, Kristo or Gallagher can turn into a 1st line winger for Gally on the right side and he'll be good.

Or we could get lucky with another top pick this year or a free agent.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:27 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:

Then we're in trouble. No one ever won **** on their own. Mario didn't, Gretzky didn't, Jordan didn't.

We have to be committed to surrounding Galchenyuk with talent.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:27 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

I remember the first sentence that was spoken to me when I reported to my first comand/duty station. "Welcome to the suck"

Old
12-30-2012, 01:28 PM
RBR

vCash: 50
Quote:

Which would suggest further high quality linemates on the horizon

Old
GalHabsGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
Gally is only 18 this year, so he should be eligible next year again if the Habs let him go, right? This kinds of tournaments are great for player development, and confidence/pride building. It would be nice to se him there next year, unless he is ripping it up for the Habs.
Agree, I will love to see him at wjc next years, but with the russia team

Old
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Well we already have Pacioretty on the left side so hopefully one of Collberg, Kristo or Gallagher can turn into a 1st line winger for Gally on the right side and he'll be good.

Or we could get lucky with another top pick this year or a free agent.
Cole will be there for a minimum of 2 more years after this year. He hasn't proven to be a slouch so far.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I read this entire thread and here's the summary:

Galchenyuk is God and the rest of the US team, including coaching staff, sticks.

Can't help but wonder what would be said if Galchenyuk was drafted by, let's say... Toronto. I'm sure there's no Habs' bias here, right?

Old
12-30-2012, 01:31 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Then we're in trouble. No one ever won **** on their own. Mario didn't, Gretzky didn't, Jordan didn't.

We have to be committed to surrounding Galchenyuk with talent.
To be fair, it'll probably be easier to attract UFA if we say "you'll be winger for Galchenyuk" than "you'll be winger for Plekanec/Desharnais"

Closed Thread