HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

IIHF reffing is a joke MOD WARNING: Post 144

Old
12-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Sanderson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
Clean hits were meant to "punish". Maybe that wide receiver coming over the middle isn't so fussy about catching the ball anymore. Maybe that fancy stepping high octane forward isn't so excited about about reaching the blue line and cutting across the middle.

What an earth shattering premise. Again there is no equivalent in soccer.
Yes, there is an equivalent to that in soccer, I have no idea how anyone can suggest that there isn't. Someone would really have to have no clue of soccer if he really believes that there are no such plays in that sport.

There have been plenty of players who were dirty enough to put the opponent off his game while edging the line to be send off in every single game. Not only are there big tackles, but also players who have made it into an art to use dirty tricks that hurt without the ref being able to notice it.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
Yes, there is an equivalent to that in soccer, I have no idea how anyone can suggest that there isn't. Someone would really have to have no clue of soccer if he really believes that there are no such plays in that sport.

There have been plenty of players who were dirty enough to put the opponent off his game while edging the line to be send off in every single game. Not only are there big tackles, but also players who have made it into an art to use dirty tricks that hurt without the ref being able to notice it.
To be fair there is probably a higher risk being injured from douchy football fans. Lol

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:59 AM
craigcaulks*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
EX - concussion thank you very much.

I make a nice home for the complainers of refs....

and this is what I get.

Never again !

What can an OP do to get a little respect around here anyway!?!
Best thread ever.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:30 PM
jigglysquishy

Did anyone receive a serious injury from hockey? I got a nasty concussion from playing hockey when I was younger. Head down, cut across the blue line and got drilled.

My team made me wear number 88 afterwards. It was my fault for getting hurt and it taught me to be aware while I play. It's a men's game played at a high speed. If you aren't ready on the ice you're going to get hurt.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:13 PM
dubplatepressure

Getting back on topic, just finishing watching the replay of canada/USA... Some of the weakest penalty calls I have ever seen, specifically against the USA. The Biggs interference and 2 slashing penalties one against strome and one against Jones were appalling. Laughable, embarrassing.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:54 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
And if the coach knows you are going to be sent off for it, he better tell you to cool it. The point is to keep it consistent. "Semi-contact" is fine with me.
Like I said earlier, you might prefer to follow women's hockey where there is no contact permitted (or incidental "semi-contact" as you allude to). Men's hockey is a contact sport, so if you are complaining about big hits not being called penalties then you are wrong based on the rule book. You can lobby for a change in the rules so that contact is no longer permitted, but I doubt you will find many people on board with you. But as it stands, men's hockey is a contact sport so expect teams like Canada and the USA to throw big hits like that. It's perfectly legal, and it's an embarrassment when certain officials call penalties for them.

12-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Zybalto

Hmm, I thought for sure I would have seen some Swiss fans in here complaining about the crease violation rule being thrown out for their last game.

Zybalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:02 PM
K1984

What was with the chinstrap "violations" that we're called in the US - Canada game?

If there's one example of taking "player safety" to a ridiculous extreme, it's this. It's an absurd and completely subjective thing to call, and I'm not sure that you would see this kind of overbearing BS in a youth league.

K1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Zybalto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
What was with the chinstrap "violations" that we're called in the US - Canada game?

If there's one example of taking "player safety" to a ridiculous extreme, it's this. It's an absurd and completely subjective thing to call, and I'm not sure that you would see this kind of overbearing BS in a youth league.
I hear you...talk about needlessly delaying the game. Those were far more blatant a delaying the game penalty than Strome accidentally popping it over the boards.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:30 PM
BobDobolina

I haven't been following that much. Was the Swiss player suspended for that?

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:35 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post

IMO that was much worse than Lipon's hit.

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:36 PM
premadonna

Can't believe Sieber got just 2+10 for that. I'm sure he'll get a suspension though.

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:37 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
IMO that was much worse than Lipon's hit.
Hard to compare a cross check and a hit where the guy had his hands up in a dangerous fashion, both can be very bad.

I think Shalunov got suspended for a cross check or a high stick? Anyone got a video of that?

Old
12-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Zybalto

Quote:

Brutal, I never even heard it happened so I'm guessing not. The Swede did'nt play dead so it was only 2 min I'm guessing.

Here's another 2 min penalty from the Swiss/Finland game that probably wont result in a suspension:

and heres an elbow to the head from USA/Canada that was also only 2 min:

Intent means very little to the IIHF. Lying on the ice>all other criteria.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:41 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybalto View Post
Brutal, I never even heard it happened so I'm guessing not. The Swede did'nt play dead so it was only 2 min I'm guessing.

Here's another 2 min penalty from the Swiss/Finland game that probably wont result in a suspension:

Yeah that's absolutely pathetic. Because Murphy didn't just lay on the ice acting like he was dead, Canada only got a 2 min PP. Yet on Lipon's hit, Mikus acted like he was dead and got Lipon kicked out of the game and suspended for what was a much less dangerous hit. Unbelievable.

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:44 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:

Well Pokka does stay down (as he should after a hit like that) and the Swiss guy only got a 2+10 (which means the refs saw a hit to the head)

Old
12-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Preisst

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Yeah that's absolutely pathetic. Because Murphy didn't just lay on the ice acting like he was dead, Canada only got a 2 min PP. Yet on Lipon's hit, Mikus acted like he was dead and got Lipon kicked out of the game and suspended for what was a much less dangerous hit. Unbelievable.
Unfortunately it is all to believable. The IIHF has been using a double standard against Canada for decades and probably always will.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Bojovnik

Send a message via MSN to Bojovnik
Murphy's got to keep his head up. Clean hit

Bojovnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Bobby G
Weber's Better

vCash: 75
Quote:

Both of these deserve at least a game, ugly head shots. Hartman's was pathetic, nothing but elbow to head

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:22 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Nobody talking about this being 2/10? I'm not even sure there was contact to the head.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Zybalto

Quote:
Well Pokka does stay down (as he should after a hit like that) and the Swiss guy only got a 2+10 (which means the refs saw a hit to the head)
Naw, he made a move to his knees before the officials actually made the final call on the penalty. He should have stayed face down and twitched a little bit and the 5 + game was on the way for sure.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Zybalto

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post

Nobody talking about this being 2/10? I'm not even sure there was contact to the head.
He gave him a bit of a shot as he came over the blue line. Hard to tell from the replay but it does look like he caught him glancing in the head with his glove so under the letter of the law it's a 2 + 10....so it's the same punishment as the other videos I posted. Lets just see if the IIHF is going to hand out any punishment for the dangerous fouls or if they will hold out as consistent.... consistently awful.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Preisst

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post

Seemed like it was to the head but it'd be nice to see a couple more angles. How about #21 trying to punch the Canadian in the head as he was going down? A glancing shot but that was a pretty gutless move too.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:53 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preisst View Post
Seemed like it was to the head but it'd be nice to see a couple more angles. How about #21 trying to punch the Canadian in the head as he was going down? A glancing shot but that was a pretty gutless move too.
I have to agree with you. I would have given him 2 minutes for roughing. And I live in the US.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Berglund1313

The crosscheck on Elias Lindholm was not even 2 min so i don't think the Ref saw it .

Berglund1313 is offline   Reply With Quote