HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Forsberg - Saskatoon Blades, WHL (2013 undrafted)

Old
12-30-2012, 03:57 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
His future and 10's of thousands of dollars are at stake with his draft position. He is 17 in grade 12 living a long, long ways from Waldheim, Saskatchewan in a pretty crappy city with a crappy culture and complete lack of winning environment. Prince George is a prospect graveyard and Dean Clark is a buffoon, I can't really blame his family for looking out for him in this case.

We also don't know the entire story right now.
He should have just sucked it up and stuck it out. Doing what he did is only going to hurt his standing in the draft.

Only good reason for him to leave is health reasons/personal safety.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:05 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Exactly people forget that they would not want to be treated this way in real life either.

Just imagine that there was a "draft" for everyone in every profession, 99% of the people on here saying man the kid is lucky to play should just shut up and play where he gets the chance, would not accept the same treatment in their own life.

In reality when we get upset about players doing this we are putting our needs and the owners of any club that subscribes to a draft needs ahead of the players. In fact the players are just pieces of meat in a system.

teams like PG and Seattle for example need to attract players to their organizations not just expect compliance IMO.

Rant over
And how do you expect them to do that exactly? Especially when the top picks can take their ball and go home demanding a trade or even refuse to report in the first place, or pre-emptively tell the team not to pick you because you wont report if they do.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:10 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
PG is probably the worst place for one to play junior hockey in the CHL. It's been a losing environment for over five years now and I remember Charles Inglis said something along the lines of management treating the players poorly. We should keep in mind that both Forsberg brothers came into the WHL as very good 16-year-olds and their games deteriorated as their careers with PG progressed. One should also note that Jesse Forsberg has played much better ever since he was traded out of PG so perhaps the problem is with the organization and not with Alex Forsberg himself.
Charles Inglis is a donkey who has bounced around the WHL and currently finds himself without a team, despite being sent home as Red Deer's leading scorer at the time. You do the math.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:28 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
Yes. He is very smart on the ice with really good offensive tools. Skating isn't pretty. Bit weak defensively. A worse skating version on Michael St. Croix. Perimeter players with tons of skill, but there games might not translate at the next level.

Forsberg could be a really good WHL player if put in the right situation. I could see him going to PA.
Forsberg wishes he could be like Michael St Croix. Not bloody likely. Doesnt have a fraction of the work ethic and St Croix stuck it out with a bad team and didnt go home and cry for a trade like Alex did.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:22 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Forsberg wishes he could be like Michael St Croix. Not bloody likely. Doesnt have a fraction of the work ethic and St Croix stuck it out with a bad team and didnt go home and cry for a trade like Alex did.
It was more of a style comparison. And don't tell me you think Edmonton is a worse franchise than PG. Good franchises can have bad teams.

zjh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:33 PM
trellaine201

Damn, i think he removed his twitter account (forsberg) i read a few posts last night. One struck me re. His personality, true statement or not. But paraphrasing him, second last tweet was regarding how boring prince george is and what there was to do after checking fb, twitter and tumbler.

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
And how do you expect them to do that exactly? Especially when the top picks can take their ball and go home demanding a trade or even refuse to report in the first place, or pre-emptively tell the team not to pick you because you wont report if they do.
Teams can make trades, the bottom line is that often teams are mismanaged and we just expect players to fall into line.

I made the observation that most posters who think that players should just fall into line wouldn't want a "draft and tell you where you will ply your trade from 16-20" before you are "drafted" into your adult job.

Remember Slavery?

I don't know what you do for a living but how would you like to be treated that way?

Last edited by Hardyvan123: 12-30-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Left Of The Dial

Quote:
Teams can make trades, the bottom line is that often teams are mismanaged and we just expect players to fall into line.

I made the observation that most posters who think that players should just fall into line wouldn't want a "draft and tell you where you will ply your trade from 16-20" before you are "drafted" into your adult job.

Remember Slavery?

I don't know what you do for a living but how would you like to be treated that way?
Jeez, something tells me that isn't quite an appropriate comparison.

The draft is necessary to keep some semblance of competitive balance, and that's kind of an important thing to have if you want to maintain a successful league. It may not work perfectly in the CHL, but it's better than the alternative.

Left Of The Dial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:39 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
It was more of a style comparison. And don't tell me you think Edmonton is a worse franchise than PG. Good franchises can have bad teams.
Nobody was calling Edmonton a good franchise during St Croix's early years. Still dont agree with the comparison. St Croix gives 100% every shift, is a better skater and has better offensive skills/hockey sense than Forsberg. Forsberg has a tendency to be lazy and he doesnt have the skating/skills that St Croix has. The only similarities would be they are both smallish/skill players.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:46 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

Remember Slavery?

Does Forsberg have the option to seek out and play for a different team in a different league? Please dont insult people by comparing a junior hockey player to slaves, who were hunted down with dogs and killed or maimed in horrific fashion for leaving their masters.

Ridiculous analogy is embarrassing.

So make trades? Trade what for what exactly? Trade your poor vets for more poor vets? Teams that are snubbed by top talent are usually poor to begin with, and if they cant build through the draft, then how are you supposed to get better?

Are the other gm's around the league morons prone to making poor deals? They are going to take your garbage in return for gems?

Fact is PG is the least desirable location in the entire league to play. Worst travel, small, stinky town with multiple pulp mills isolated way up north with no other big city for hundreds of miles in every direction.

Your understanding of the situation is lacking. Big time.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Of The Dial View Post
Jeez, something tells me that isn't quite an appropriate comparison.

The draft is necessary to keep some semblance of competitive balance, and that's kind of an important thing to have if you want to maintain a successful league. It may not work perfectly in the CHL, but it's better than the alternative.
Yes it was a dramatic and perhaps exaggerated word but if you read the description of what happens to drafted players (and if the "well let him rot if a player wants to be traded).

The bottom line is that total control of where players play isn't a good thing for the players always.

Like it has been mentioned nobody is knocking Nathan for it.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Does Forsberg have the option to seek out and play for a different team in a different league? Please dont insult people by comparing a junior hockey player to slaves, who were hunted down with dogs and killed or maimed in horrific fashion for leaving their masters.

Ridiculous analogy is embarrassing.

So make trades? Trade what for what exactly? Trade your poor vets for more poor vets? Teams that are snubbed by top talent are usually poor to begin with, and if they cant build through the draft, then how are you supposed to get better?

Are the other gm's around the league morons prone to making poor deals? They are going to take your garbage in return for gems?

Fact is PG is the least desirable location in the entire league to play. Worst travel, small, stinky town with multiple pulp mills isolated way up north with no other big city for hundreds of miles in every direction.

Your understanding of the situation is lacking. Big time.
I haven't seen many players switch leagues in the CHL, not sure if there is a rule against it or if it's an under the table type of thing.

sure slavery is a strong word but the situation is closer to that in principle than a free market so skip the personal comments.

Like I asked before how would you feel if you had been drafted and sent to anywhere in your profession at the age of 15?

I fully understand the situation as well, for the longest time players have been bullied by comments and feelings like yours to play anywhere, now that some are choosing more control over their life there is a backlash.

Prince George can easily trade him for decent value and then go ahead and make the situation in PG better for players to coem there.

It's not exactly a whose who list of recent drafted players in PG from the NHL is there?

Old
12-30-2012, 02:21 PM
HabLover

Quote:
PG is probably the worst place for one to play junior hockey in the CHL. It's been a losing environment for over five years now and I remember Charles Inglis said something along the lines of management treating the players poorly. We should keep in mind that both Forsberg brothers came into the WHL as very good 16-year-olds and their games deteriorated as their careers with PG progressed. One should also note that Jesse Forsberg has played much better ever since he was traded out of PG so perhaps the problem is with the organization and not with Alex Forsberg himself.
Haha, Inglis hey, problem is Cougars managment wouldnt let him smoke pot out front of a local restaurant, go figure...

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:40 PM
derriko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
guarenteed he gets dealt to Seattle and is reunited with his brother. Seattle has NO good 17 year old forwards in their system playing. They do have an abundance of 17 year old dmen on their team tho(5 of them)
He better hope its not to Seattle. They are just a bad team and I dont see too bright of a future there unless those new players tey got woihin the last month or whatever are really good. That would hurt his numbers just as much as his current team. They do need some talented offensive players because they can hardly get the puck out of their zone whenever Ive went to see them.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
He better hope its not to Seattle. They are just a bad team and I dont see too bright of a future there unless those new players tey got woihin the last month or whatever are really good. That would hurt his numbers just as much as his current team. They do need some talented offensive players because they can hardly get the puck out of their zone whenever Ive went to see them.
Seattle has Barazal and the penticon kid as well.

Getting Forsberg for one of their Dmen would help their future bigtime.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:08 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I haven't seen many players switch leagues in the CHL, not sure if there is a rule against it or if it's an under the table type of thing.

sure slavery is a strong word but the situation is closer to that in principle than a free market so skip the personal comments.

Like I asked before how would you feel if you had been drafted and sent to anywhere in your profession at the age of 15?

I fully understand the situation as well, for the longest time players have been bullied by comments and feelings like yours to play anywhere, now that some are choosing more control over their life there is a backlash.

Prince George can easily trade him for decent value and then go ahead and make the situation in PG better for players to coem there.

It's not exactly a whose who list of recent drafted players in PG from the NHL is there?
He is already playing in the SJHL. That is what I meant by other leagues, which he is free to do. Unlike slaves, but really there is no reasoning with you, so carry on with the nonsense.

I will leave you with the following list of Prince George alumni..........

Blair Betts
Alexandre Boikov
Derek Boogaard
Tyler Bouck
Eric Brewer
Dustin Byfuglien
Zdeno Chara
Brett Connolly
Nick Drazenovic
Jonathan Filewich
Kyle Freadrich
Dan Hamhuis
Trent Hunter
David Koci
Joel Kwiatkowski
Mike Leclerc
Chris Mason
Vladimir Mihalik
Ronald Petrovicky
Justin Pogge
Devin Setoguchi
Sheldon Souray
Dana Tyrell
Alexander Vasilevski
Michael Wall
Ty Wishart

Old
12-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Charles Inglis is a donkey who has bounced around the WHL and currently finds himself without a team, despite being sent home as Red Deer's leading scorer at the time. You do the math.
You want me to do the math? Well, how about the fact that Inglis was on FOUR different teams throughout his junior career and he chose to call out PG out of those four teams once his career was all over. He even admitted that his time at Saskatoon (which was his longest stint of the four) was more his fault than management's fault. So it's not like he was calling out every team that traded or released him.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:33 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
You want me to do the math? Well, how about the fact that Inglis was on FOUR different teams throughout his junior career and he chose to call out PG out of those four teams once his career was all over. He even admitted that his time at Saskatoon (which was his longest stint of the four) was more his fault than management's fault. So it's not like he was calling out every team that traded or released him.
Ill take the word of Brent Sutter over Charles Inglis.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Ill take the word of Brent Sutter over Charles Inglis.
You are missing the point. Brent Sutter has never been in the PG locker room.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:18 PM
HabLover

Quote:
You are missing the point. Brent Sutter has never been in the PG locker room.
Go smoke a dooobeeee with Charles......

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
He is already playing in the SJHL. That is what I meant by other leagues, which he is free to do. Unlike slaves, but really there is no reasoning with you, so carry on with the nonsense.

I will leave you with the following list of Prince George alumni..........

Blair Betts
Alexandre Boikov
Derek Boogaard
Tyler Bouck
Eric Brewer
Dustin Byfuglien
Zdeno Chara
Brett Connolly
Nick Drazenovic
Jonathan Filewich
Kyle Freadrich
Dan Hamhuis
Trent Hunter
David Koci
Joel Kwiatkowski
Mike Leclerc
Chris Mason
Vladimir Mihalik
Ronald Petrovicky
Justin Pogge
Devin Setoguchi
Sheldon Souray
Dana Tyrell
Alexander Vasilevski
Michael Wall
Ty Wishart
Seriously how many of those guys were drafted and started as Prince George guys, a couple off the top of my head played their final WHL season with them after they had been drafted.

Looks like alot of guys, for well over a decade though it's not very good and actually quite poor IMO.

The current regime is the one in question though. Connolly is the exception here and some might even question how far his development is compared to talent.

You also still haven't answered my question, how would you feel being drafted (in whatever your career is) and told you have to go somewhere to learn it?

Old
12-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Left Of The Dial

Quote:
Seriously how many of those guys were drafted and started as Prince George guys, a couple off the top of my head played their final WHL season with them after they had been drafted.

Looks like alot of guys, for well over a decade though it's not very good and actually quite poor IMO.

The current regime is the one in question though. Connolly is the exception here and some might even question how far his development is compared to talent.

You also still haven't answered my question, how would you feel being drafted (in whatever your career is) and told you have to go somewhere to learn it?
My industry doesn't require parity among firms to survive, thus there is no reason for a draft.

However, the WHL needs a draft to disperse talent as fairly as possible. Ensuring competitive balance is crucial to the success of a sports league. They aren't using the draft just to **** with prospects.

Left Of The Dial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
Go smoke a dooobeeee with Charles......
You're extremely mature.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Of The Dial View Post
My industry doesn't require parity among firms to survive, thus there is no reason for a draft.

However, the WHL needs a draft to disperse talent as fairly as possible. Ensuring competitive balance is crucial to the success of a sports league. They aren't using the draft just to **** with prospects.
I dunno about that logic and even if it were true it isn't achieving anywhere close to the desired results.

If the league wanted parity they would make trades for the teams to keep them competitive and balanced.

Teams are individual entities under an umbrella sure but even when they fail, ie go out of business or move does that affect the league that much?

The reason leagues have drafts is so that teams can have total control of a player and that the player doesn't have other legitimate options to play to pursue hockey at a higher level.

The history or organized professional sports is littered with that histroy and many junior teams have followed suit, NCAA college being a major exception.

Weird that NCAA div 1 hockey survives though without a draft.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:23 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
He should have just sucked it up and stuck it out. Doing what he did is only going to hurt his standing in the draft.

Only good reason for him to leave is health reasons/personal safety.
Really? I presume then that the only valid reason a WHL team has to trade player is if it's for health/personal safety reasons. So if said player is under-performing or management wants to build for the future, well, trading him wouldn't be in the spirit of "sucking it up and sticking it out", would it? Anything else would seem to imply a double standard.

dickiedunnwrotethis is online now   Reply With Quote