HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 01:17 PM
do0glas

vCash: 500
So I found out my pro shop does a custom radius. I usually just go 1/2" but I've been wanting to try a more forward leaning cut. Any recommendations?

Old
12-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Gomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
So I found out my pro shop does a custom radius. I usually just go 1/2" but I've been wanting to try a more forward leaning cut. Any recommendations?
Isn't 1/2" a hollow radius not a profile radius?

The radius of hollow cut doesn't affect lean. If affects bite and glide.

3/8" < 1/2" < 5/8"

The smaller the fraction, the greater the bite and lesser the glide.
The larger the fraction, the greater the glide and lesser the bite.

More bite = more stability in turns and "cut" into the ice when pushing off. More glide = less stability in turn and less resistance to going forward.

You can learn to skate on a progressively shallower (larger fraction) ROH which will ultimately allow you to skate faster/ use less energy to get up and down the ice.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:40 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomer View Post
Isn't 1/2" a hollow radius not a profile radius?

The radius of hollow cut doesn't affect lean. If affects bite and glide.

3/8" < 1/2" < 5/8"

The smaller the fraction, the greater the bite and lesser the glide.
The larger the fraction, the greater the glide and lesser the bite.

More bite = more stability in turns and "cut" into the ice when pushing off. More glide = less stability in turn and less resistance to going forward.

You can learn to skate on a progressively shallower (larger fraction) ROH which will ultimately allow you to skate faster/ use less energy to get up and down the ice.
Maybe it's just labelled wrong? It costs 25$. I don't see how a custom hollow would cost that much.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Gomer

Quote:
Maybe it's just labelled wrong? It costs 25$. I don't see how a custom hollow would cost that much.
It doesn't make sense to me either... but I though profile radii were measured in feet not inches

Old
12-30-2012, 03:22 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomer View Post
It doesn't make sense to me either... but I though profile radii were measured in feet not inches
Website says profiling, their board in the store says custom radius. Either way...what should I start with for a custom profile.

I'm definitely a lane skater, but I'd love increased turning ability as well.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:45 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Website says profiling, their board in the store says custom radius. Either way...what should I start with for a custom profile.

I'm definitely a lane skater, but I'd love increased turning ability as well.
Essentially, profiling and custom radius is the same thing, just the term "profiling" is more all-encompassing to include forward, neutral or heel lean.

What you were confusing were the terms "radius" and "hollow". Radius is basically referring to how much of the blade is touching the ice front to back.

This site does a good job of describing radius and profiling: http://noicingsports.com/skate_radius_profiling.html

Old
12-30-2012, 06:22 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
Essentially, profiling and custom radius is the same thing, just the term "profiling" is more all-encompassing to include forward, neutral or heel lean.

What you were confusing were the terms "radius" and "hollow". Radius is basically referring to how much of the blade is touching the ice front to back.

This site does a good job of describing radius and profiling: http://noicingsports.com/skate_radius_profiling.html
So, I have great endurance and I'm fast in a straight line...so I was thinking of trying the 9' first. I'm guessing just getting the same profile on both skates will be a big difference.

Any experience with that here?

Old
12-30-2012, 08:34 PM
thedonger

Quote:
So, I have great endurance and I'm fast in a straight line...so I was thinking of trying the 9' first. I'm guessing just getting the same profile on both skates will be a big difference.

Any experience with that here?
in all honesty, i don't have enough experience with different profiles to be making suggestions. i just know what i like and try to stick to it. i'd recommend looking for a local skate guy with a good rep and discussing this with him. if not, i think no icing has some sort of questionnaire that you can fill out and ask them questions about possibly doing a profiling by mail. (no, i don't have any connections with them, as i have good local options for this type of work, but the info on the site can be very informative).

Old
01-01-2013, 10:44 AM
n8estor
Rookie User

After reading this thread I thought I would pick some brains. I have an issue trying to find the right skates. I want to go into a Bauer Supreme and I am torn between the One.9 and NXG. I am 5'7" and around 190lbs. The problem I run into is my foot fits into a D width in skates, but my toe area is wide so with the toecap area I tend to have discomfort in the area and end up getting rid of the skates after a year or so. I am currently in an x:60, but they are a hand me down from a former player I coach. So, they are worn to say the least. I used Graf 705 all through high school and juniors and have since bought two pairs in the last 7 years and hated them(g5, 705). The main question I would have would be I wear a 8d, but if I go to a wider width (EE) and go down a .5 size will this fix the issue with the toecap area? Thanks guys, this thread has helped me a ton in finding the perfect skates so far! Also, I was told by a guy a a local shop that since my heel is narrow I would not be a good fit into the Nexus, is this true? I also wore Reebok 11k and they broke down too quickly.

Last edited by n8estor: 01-01-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old
01-01-2013, 11:29 AM
TieClark

Someone that deals with skates can correct or confirm this, but I believe the supremes have a narrower build than the vapor's. So if you're having trouble with the width of the toe I would think the supreme line wouldn't be a good fit. Also how do the x60's you're using now feel? If they feel like they fit right why not just get a new pair of the same skates?

Old
01-01-2013, 01:12 PM
n8estor
Rookie User

They feel okay. The left heels slips every once in a while and the boots are pretty broken down. I tried an apx and I there were a lot of pressure points on the 8d. I cannot locate any x:60 in 7.5ee though.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:22 PM
AIREAYE

Supremes are not narrower than Vapor in the sense that a Supreme D is a true E compared to a Vapor true D. The shape of the boot and ankles/heel might make a Supreme fit closer to your foot depending on its shape, but no, technically speaking, a Supreme is wider.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:42 PM
n8estor
Rookie User

So the supreme line will be the best fit for me in terms of bauer? What about nexus, the local shop did not even let me try them on at the store. Would the fact that I have a skinny heel be consistent to why they would not be a good fit for me? Also, being that I do not skate the amount I used to what skate would be the best option? I like a stuff boot that will not break down after a year (I only skate 2-4 times a week now)? Would it be in my best interest to go with the one.9 or lower? Or should I just pony up and go with the NXG?

Old
01-01-2013, 11:53 PM
AIREAYE

- How am I able to tell you what fits you the best? lol
- Try the Nexus, though it has a wider heel than Vapor, there is no reason not to give it a shot and no shop should restrict you to what you can try if you intend to buy from them
- Try on as many different fits as you can; don't rule out CCM, Easton or Reebok

- The better you are as a skater, the more you should benefit from a stiffer boot
- for 2-4 times a week, if you prefer to save some money while still getting a very very good pair, look at the price point one or two below the top end, like the One.8s, X6.0 etc.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:49 PM
jared37

i currently have vapor 30s and have had them for 4 years now, im starting to grow tired of the pain that i always have in my arch/sole area. ive tried insoles, tieing tighter/looser, but eventually i just zoned it out and gotten used to it, but recently i noticed how much it actually bothers me

i put on my old skates vapour 11s to skate on the outdoor rink, and as old and cheap as they are, they were night and day more comfortable then my current 30s, problem being they no longer in suitable shape

the sizing between the two is identical, but one key thing i noticed how flat footed the 11s are compared to more of a raised arch in the 30s.

my question is, do you think the pain in the 30s is more related to bad sizing (maybe too narrow?) or is it that my foot just needs more of a flat bottom than what the newer vapors are?

also im looking for new skates regardless and recently tried on supreme one70s and it feels the same as the vapors with a very high raised arch, does anyone have any advice on which skates have more of a flat bottom, or is it just a sizing issue that causes the pain?

Old
01-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Bojyea

I just got home from Hockey Giant in Cherry Hill, NJ.....what an AWESOME experience! Got my first pair of skates since I was 14(now 25). Got a pair of Bauer Nexus 600's size 9.5 EE. Most comfortable skates I've ever been in. I tried on the Supreme one.7 and they were a little tight around the ball of my foot. SUPER excited for pub skate and stick time tomorrow!

Old
01-02-2013, 09:48 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Just bought some Bauer x 1.0.. not sure if I can bake them or not? Does anyone have these skates and have baked them? I am a little scared to bake them and then they will start to fall apart.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:12 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared37 View Post
i currently have vapor 30s and have had them for 4 years now, im starting to grow tired of the pain that i always have in my arch/sole area. ive tried insoles, tieing tighter/looser, but eventually i just zoned it out and gotten used to it, but recently i noticed how much it actually bothers me

i put on my old skates vapour 11s to skate on the outdoor rink, and as old and cheap as they are, they were night and day more comfortable then my current 30s, problem being they no longer in suitable shape

the sizing between the two is identical, but one key thing i noticed how flat footed the 11s are compared to more of a raised arch in the 30s.

my question is, do you think the pain in the 30s is more related to bad sizing (maybe too narrow?) or is it that my foot just needs more of a flat bottom than what the newer vapors are?

also im looking for new skates regardless and recently tried on supreme one70s and it feels the same as the vapors with a very high raised arch, does anyone have any advice on which skates have more of a flat bottom, or is it just a sizing issue that causes the pain?
A few thoughts:
-maybe your foot has grown?
-could be the width, perhaps try some of the newer Vapors in your size and go EE
-try them at the width combined with your favorite insole (Superfeet, Footbalance, w/e) because I'm tihnking it could be a multitude of factors.
-try other skates to compare the bottom feel (give Reebok a go first)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Just bought some Bauer x 1.0.. not sure if I can bake them or not? Does anyone have these skates and have baked them? I am a little scared to bake them and then they will start to fall apart.
Nah, not designed to be baked and won't offer anything. The lowest skate designed to be baked in the Vapor line according to the catalog is actually the X5.0, I've had moderate success baking 4.0s enough that I'd recommend doing those and limited success with 3.0s to go either way, but the 3.0s are pretty soft as it is.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:31 AM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Nah, not designed to be baked and won't offer anything. The lowest skate designed to be baked in the Vapor line according to the catalog is actually the X5.0, I've had moderate success baking 4.0s enough that I'd recommend doing those and limited success with 3.0s to go either way, but the 3.0s are pretty soft as it is.
Thanks for the quick response, lucky I asked before I did it, guess I will just wear them in, they are obviously a beginner skate, I have played roller hockey for a while now so I am just learning how to ice skate and they work perfectly for learning. Thanks again

Old
01-03-2013, 02:03 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojyea View Post
I just got home from Hockey Giant in Cherry Hill, NJ.....what an AWESOME experience! Got my first pair of skates since I was 14(now 25). Got a pair of Bauer Nexus 600's size 9.5 EE. Most comfortable skates I've ever been in. I tried on the Supreme one.7 and they were a little tight around the ball of my foot. SUPER excited for pub skate and stick time tomorrow!
Welcome to the forum!

My skates are 4 months old and I'm just as excited to lace them up as day 1. Hope your new skates work out good for you! Let us know, because if no one else around you cares you know we will...

Old
01-03-2013, 05:01 PM
n8estor
Rookie User

Ok, I Have narrowed it down to the 1.9 and the 1.8 in your opinion which ones would I be better off with in the long run? I know the only difference between the 1.8 in the 1.9 is the composite outershell. Would this really been much of a difference in the way the skate breaks down? I obviously want this pair of skates to be my last skates that I purchase or to last me A while. So the question I have is if I buy the 1.8 will I more than likely get the same amount of time out of them in the long run?

Old
01-03-2013, 05:22 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
I just picked up a pair of used but good condition Easton Synergy for $100, and that was a good price. Senior skates are ridiculously expensive now. The other boots I tried dug into my ankle, but this one went pretty well.

Old
01-03-2013, 05:37 PM
AIREAYE

Both are very good boots. I would go One.9 for the slight stiffness jump and upgraded composite outer. That skate is close to the old One95 and pretty much the exact same as the One100. Features-wise, they would be more similar to an average pro boot than the NXG is.

On a side note, will you be flopping the tongue?

Old
01-03-2013, 06:01 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Both are very good boots. I would go One.9 for the slight stiffness jump and upgraded composite outer. That skate is close to the old One95 and pretty much the exact same as the One100. Features-wise, they would be more similar to an average pro boot than the NXG is.

On a side note, will you be flopping the tongue?
Air, just to add a bit of info re: one.8 vs one.9, isn't the current one.8 just the current incarnation of the original one90(ie one75, one80, etc)? If so, remembered there being a bit difference in fit between the one100(current one.9, previous one95) and the one80 even though they're both supremes, no?

If so, I think n8estor would be better served trying both on and seeing which fits better...jmho.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:16 PM
AIREAYE

You're not wrong. I'm not surprised if the One.8s are comparable to the One90s, it's a phenomenal boot.

I will always advise trying them on, though the Supreme fit among the higher end models should be consistent. I also won't be surprised if the feel of each boot differs slightly, it's not unheard of. However, I'm of the opinion that if you fit into a Supreme boot for example, any (slight) differences in fit among adjacent models will be alleviated through a bake and break-in.

But you're right, fitting into one skate and not fitting as well in the one up or down isn't a rarity. The Nexus 100 -> 800 is a prime example.

Closed Thread