Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 World Junior Championships Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 01:05 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
U.S. team finalized. Congrats to Sieloff.

Quote:
Rob Simpson ‏@simmerpuck
BREAKING Team USA to keep Patrick Sieloff as 7th D-man. he'll dress. Matt Grzelcyk returns home tmrw. #USAWJC #WJC2013

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 02:42 AM
Sean Monahan
#boring

vCash: 50
Soon enough we'll see Sieloff with Trouba

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Flames92

vCash: 500
Gaudreau looked real good this game, sucks that he couldn't score that cross crease early into the game. Sieloff didn't really play much this game but its nice to see that he made the team

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Ynnek

I really hope Housley switches up the US lines. Gaudreau and Grimaldi together just doesn't seem to work they are too similar to click. Gaudreau needs to be on a line where he can control the puck and dictate the pace.

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Sean Monahan
#boring

Miller hasn't done anything to be on the top line other than being a returnee. He's at his best on the wing.

Grimaldi is like another Gaudreau, like mentioned they both need the puck to be effective

I'd like to see

Gaudreau-Galchenyuk-Barber
Grimaldi-Trocheck-Miller
Pietlla-Bardeau-Hartman
Lucia-Kuraly-Biggs
Vesey

Gostisbehere-Trouba
Reilly-Jones
McCabe-Murphy
Sieloff

Old
12-29-2012, 11:59 AM
brewski1810

Liked Tspoons game yesterday, stayed within myself, played solid both ends of the ice, I kinda feel sorry for him a bit when he is out there with Murphy though, he has compensate for Murphy always rushing the puck. Tspoon has gotten better each game thus far.

brewski1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:01 PM
brewski1810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
Miller hasn't done anything to be on the top line other than being a returnee. He's at his best on the wing.

Grimaldi is like another Gaudreau, like mentioned they both need the puck to be effective

I'd like to see

Gaudreau-Galchenyuk-Barber
Grimaldi-Trocheck-Miller
Pietlla-Bardeau-Hartman
Lucia-Kuraly-Biggs
Vesey

Gostisbehere-Trouba
Reilly-Jones
McCabe-Murphy
Sieloff

Agree with this, John and Rocco don't seem to have much chemistry yet. Nice lineup very similar to what I was thinking when I watched the USA Russia game yesterday.

brewski1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:08 AM
Sean Monahan
#boring

Tspoon is getting some quality icetime in the first

So reliable out there

Old
12-30-2012, 05:11 AM
Sean Monahan
#boring

Little Granlund with 2 goals including the 4-4 tying goal and the SO winner

FK YA

Old
12-30-2012, 05:11 AM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Markus Granlund with two goals including the GTG plus the SO winner to keep Finland in the tournament!

edit: that's gotta be the first time on this board there's been concurrent posts at 3:11 AM, haha.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:14 AM
F l a m e s
Money Baer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
Markus Granlund with two goals including the GTG plus the SO winner to keep Finland in the tournament!

edit: that's gotta be the first time on this board there's been concurrent posts at 3:11 AM, haha.
I was just coming online at 3:14am to post this...

_____

Huge game for him. Put the team on his shoulders...

F l a m e s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:19 AM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
TSN should have highlights any minute now.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:33 AM
Sean Monahan
#boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post

And we wrote the exact same thing lol

Old
12-30-2012, 06:56 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Great game by Granlund.

Solid game by Wotherspoon.

Sieloff was, for the most part, unnoticeable.

Gaudreau was very underwhelming. Gets muscled off the puck too often, but at the same time, I will say Housley is some how managing to make Spott look like a good coach. Horrific coaching decisions throughout the game.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:45 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Great game by Granlund.

Solid game by Wotherspoon.

Sieloff was, for the most part, unnoticeable.

Gaudreau was very underwhelming. Gets muscled off the puck too often, but at the same time, I will say Housley is some how managing to make Spott look like a good coach. Horrific coaching decisions throughout the game.
I thought he was the most effective American forward in terms of creating opportunities (Which is not saying much I suppose).

He had a breakaway in the first, set up JT Miller point blank on a daft little pass in the second, and on more than a few occasions made beautiful passes from behind the net to both Jones and Trouba.

It may sound funny, but I think the larger ice surface is actually a deterrent to his playstyle simply due to the fact that his acceleration is not that great for a smaller player.

The problem with this years US squad is that they lack chemistry. It really is that simple. Outside of the fourth line, I honestly can't see much cohesion.

Housley has no business coaching at this level.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:37 PM
SaintMorose

Watching the first period on the tsn replay Wotherspoon and Gaudreau are having their best game of the tournament (though both have looked rough in the other games). Trouba looks like the best player on the ice. Goalies both looking great.

Miller and Jones again look poor for the US no one looking to weak yet for Canada.

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Flames92

I'm really happy with how Spott is utilizing Wotherspoon. Hes getting more and more confidence with playing him, it looked like he almost had the most ice time vs the Americans.

And of course another fantastic game by Granlund for the Fins. The futures looking great for Calgary

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
Gaudreau has been pretty awful in all the games. I don't know if it's a confidence thing or he's struggling to compete at a higher level, where the IQ level of the opposition is much closer to that of his own.

Wotherspoon meanwhile has been phenomenal. Generating a ton of praise from TSN and was out there a lot in the third period of the USA game. Hockey Canada seems to have a lot of faith in him and he has certainly delivered. It's awesome because our defensive pool isn't much to write home about.

And while I haven't seen him play at all, Granlund has supposedly been Finland's best player. His play in Finland has been rather underwhelming (his production has dipped a fari bit) but the entire HIFK team has supposedly been awful. Whatever the case is, he needs to be in Abbotsford next season.

Noori is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
It may sound funny, but I think the larger ice surface is actually a deterrent to his playstyle simply due to the fact that his acceleration is not that great for a smaller player.
He plays on larger ice in the NCAA as well, no? I don't think we have to make excuses for Gaudreau. By no means does a handful of games imply that Gaudreau is a bust, but it's not unfair to assess his level of play thus far in the tournament as being rather poor.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Sean Monahan
#boring

TSpoon is just such a rock on defense. Everytime the Americans tried to dump it his side, he took his man and got the puck out quickly

Can't wait to see him in Abby next year

Old
12-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Body Checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Gaudreau has been pretty awful in all the games. I don't know if it's a confidence thing or he's struggling to compete at a higher level, where the IQ level of the opposition is much closer to that of his own.

Wotherspoon meanwhile has been phenomenal. Generating a ton of praise from TSN and was out there a lot in the third period of the USA game. Hockey Canada seems to have a lot of faith in him and he has certainly delivered. It's awesome because our defensive pool isn't much to write home about.

And while I haven't seen him play at all, Granlund has supposedly been Finland's best player. His play in Finland has been rather underwhelming (his production has dipped a fari bit) but the entire HIFK team has supposedly been awful. Whatever the case is, he needs to be in Abbotsford next season.
An "awful" assessment is pretty harsh IMO.

He's been smooth but not dynamic. A playmaker not a shooter.

He could easily have 4 points - 2 goals (breakaway and a paper thin toe save by the Russian goalie) and a few assists from the corners/behind the net as he has done a good job getting the puck to his teammates but no one has buried them.

I have been disappointed with his speed, I was expecting a faster player.

To me he looks like a complementary playmaking winger who will need a star winger (Iginla) or a star center to play with.

As for calling Wotherspoon "phenomenal" well that's a bit of an overrated assessment. He's been solid but a wrong bounce or quicker step by opponents and he could have been a goat a few times as well.

I really like him though, he's got top 4 NHL upside for sure.

But let's reserve "phenomenal" for a Eberle/Lindros type of junior performance.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Noori

When I say "phenomenal" I mean beyond what was expected for him. If Doug Hamilton performs the same as Wotherspoon, his performance is average. It's all relative to player capabilities/expectations. The guy wasn't even supposed to make the team and there he is, on the ice for a large portion of the third, on the ice at all the critical moments making all the right plays.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

I thought JG had a good game. I also think he was probably the best overall forward for the U.S. against Canada. These tournaments can be funny, its evident that he's skilled and can create, but it takes some players a while to find their grove which can be attributed to confidence or a lack of cohesion with linemates. IMO, its a similar reason why I don't think Iginla has never scored in an allstar game. I do think JG would be benefit more playing with a Monahan type of center, anyways I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him break out in a big way next game. And I also agree with HLM in that Housely has done a poor job thus far.

Did anyone actually watch Granlund? Statistically, he has been one of the Finn's best players so far but he gets absolutely no love from their fanbase. They are all about TT and Barkov in regards to projecting as top players in the NHL. Ma. Granlund is not the caliber of prospect that his brother is, but I don't think he gets as much praise as he should.

Some of my other thoughts, Wotherspoon has indeed been getting better and had a very good game today. MacKinnon needs to be given more of an opportunity in a scoring role for Canada. Jones has been meh to me, and Trouba has been an absolute stud. The Jets got a hell of player in him and Scheifele.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I thought he was the most effective American forward in terms of creating opportunities (Which is not saying much I suppose).

He had a breakaway in the first, set up JT Miller point blank on a daft little pass in the second, and on more than a few occasions made beautiful passes from behind the net to both Jones and Trouba.

The problem with this years US squad is that they lack chemistry. It really is that simple. Outside of the fourth line, I honestly can't see much cohesion.
I agree that their doesn't seem to be any chemistry between the U.S.A. forwards, but Gaudreau hasn't been the difference maker the hype machine projected him to be.

Quote:
Housley has no business coaching at this level.
No arguments here.

Quote:
A dip in production was expected I think, as his brother was no longer playing with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Did anyone actually watch Granlund? Statistically, he has been one of the Finn's best players so far but he gets absolutely no love from their fanbase. They are all about TT and Barkov in regards to projecting as top players in the NHL. Ma. Granlund is not the caliber of prospect that his brother is, but I don't think he gets as much praise as he should.
Granlund is a year older or two older than those guys. Even a year is a pretty big advantage at this level.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:51 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
He plays on larger ice in the NCAA as well, no? I don't think we have to make excuses for Gaudreau. By no means does a handful of games imply that Gaudreau is a bust, but it's not unfair to assess his level of play thus far in the tournament as being rather poor.
I don't think so. From what I understand both the NCAA and NHL play on 200x85 ice surfaces. Although the NCAA recommends that every facility abides by this, it is not mandated like it is in the NHL.

It is fair to say his play/production has been underwhelming by his standards, but not awful or poor (especially in relation to the rest of the American forwards). He has created high scoring opportunities in every game he has played in and has been very unlucky to not have any points to this point.

Gaudreau is not a player that will dominate a game with speed or physicality. He is a cerebral player that flourishes in the offensive zone. To this point that is what he has shown.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote