HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Old
12-26-2012, 10:48 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

vCash: 500
Tapered vs. Standard doesn't really matter to me, i'm open to both. I just want a durable shaft that won't break but is also not a piece of crap.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Laptop broke so that's why i've been hesitant on buying new gear. Not sure what the price is just yet so not sure when i'm going to be getting these.

Would you guys recommend a Reebok 16k or a Warrior shaft? These are the two shafts i'm looking at right now. I've heard Warrior are super durable.

Also, out of curiosity, has anyone liked Combat sticks? I know Jagr uses them and i'm just wondering. They look snazzy.
I've used Reebok and Warrior shafts. The Warriors had better kick for me. Reeboks have always felt stiff.

I would go tapered though, blades are much lighter and it's better balanced. I had a Warrior AK27 (standard shaft) that felt like someone taped a 5 pound weight on the end of it.

I've never used Combat as they never go on sale. I'm not paying $200 for a stick I'm not comfortable has been "proven" like a name brand. A lot of people like them though.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:03 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I've used Reebok and Warrior shafts. The Warriors had better kick for me. Reeboks have always felt stiff.

I would go tapered though, blades are much lighter and it's better balanced. I had a Warrior AK27 (standard shaft) that felt like someone taped a 5 pound weight on the end of it.

I've never used Combat as they never go on sale. I'm not paying $200 for a stick I'm not comfortable has been "proven" like a name brand. A lot of people like them though.
Ah, I see. Yeah I found the Reebok 16k and Warrior Dolomite pretty cheap (I have heard people like those here).

Was asking about Combat out of pure curiosity haha. I'm not sure about the Combat sticks and the newer models, but the Combat Hockey Pure composite is 129.99 at Total Hockey, but was originally 229.99. Then again, i'd feel bad paying 129.99 for it if I ever bought it

I tend to stay away from things like that, especially if it's a brand like you said that is not extremely popular.

Thanks about the Warrior/Reebok comparison though

Old
12-27-2012, 11:59 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
After a week of using my new Total One P92. I am in love with it. I can really tell a difference in my shot and puckhandling. The blade has great feel to it, and has held up really well so far.

A great buy, they are on clearance now! Got mine for 105.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:33 AM
TieClark

I have never actually used it, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the RBZ. I didn't expect much from it but it has really nice feel and balance to it.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Is the puck jumpy when stickhandling? That would be my concern with the "hot" face.

I'm sad the X:60 never went on clearance. I think the dual kick points is what made it such a great stick for me. I've been eyeing one on the shelves for the last year but it's still $165.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:01 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Is the puck jumpy when stickhandling? That would be my concern with the "hot" face.

I'm sad the X:60 never went on clearance. I think the dual kick points is what made it such a great stick for me. I've been eyeing one on the shelves for the last year but it's still $165.
Shafts are on clearance at HM for 89$ you can buy a pack of em

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah I'm not sold on the X:60 shafts being dual kick point vs a painted non-kick shaft. And when you add in shipping and a blade it's not much cheaper.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:59 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:

There is a barely used one in my local Play It Again for $75 with my size, curve and everything.

I passed up on it twice though due to the laptop issues.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:57 PM
mitch27

Any input on what the best stick for under $60 would be? I recently broke my Easton and bought a wood stick and it's already chipping and cracking.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:43 PM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Any input on what the best stick for under $60 would be? I recently broke my Easton and bought a wood stick and it's already chipping and cracking.
Don't buy a stick under $60 .

x94Galchenyuk94x* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:50 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
I'd look at the nexus400 if you absolutely don't want to spend more than 60.

If you're willing to jump to 80 I can attest to the 65S effectiveness. It's durable, decent flex profile(I would cut it down though from a lower flex) the blade feel sucks but at that price they all do.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:27 PM
AIREAYE

Older $100 pricepoints on sale for under 60.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

EQ40's are on sale for $50 or so at some websites. They are heavy and were awful at the $150 price point but would be acceptable at $50.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Mdmopa1

Just got the T-90 sherwood with the 007 curve, and let me just say my shot is so much more accurate and harder than before. (i was using the original Reebok Sick Kick with a Pheanuf curve.

Mdmopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:08 PM
do0glas

pro shop put together my two piece for free! cant wait to try it out. saved me 25$ on a heat gun

Old
01-03-2013, 09:57 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
pro shop put together my two piece for free! cant wait to try it out. saved me 25$ on a heat gun
yep, that's the beauty of buying local...service.
btw, you may want to go ahead and get that heat gun anyways. you'll probably get the urge to tinker with different shaft blade setups soon enough.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:39 PM
AIREAYE

I use my heat gun to remove end plugs, stickers, soften glues for easier removal, manipulate plastics etc.

It's a very versatile tool.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:08 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
yep, that's the beauty of buying local...service.
btw, you may want to go ahead and get that heat gun anyways. you'll probably get the urge to tinker with different shaft blade setups soon enough.
Best part is I bought online. They don't sell two piece stuff there. He did it for free anyway.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Heat gun is ESSENTIAL. Heat gun and a $10 hacksaw with mitre box gets used multiple times per month by me during the season. Worth the investment.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:10 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Heat gun is ESSENTIAL. Heat gun and a $10 hacksaw with mitre box gets used multiple times per month by me during the season. Worth the investment.
well as im not yet sold on going 100% two piece, I didnt want to go buy a heat gun just yet. Lucky for me the stick was the right height without a plug, though it does feel a bit blade heavy.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

so here I am again......

For over a year now, i've been battling the age old problem of finding the "right" stick. I was using an ancient Mission M-1 hockey stick that i picked up when i was younger (I'm 18 now) because i thought it looked cool. About a year ago i realized that the stick was not even close to being the right fit for me. The lie was such that the entire toe of the blade would be off the ice when i was attempting to stick handle. I finally did some research online and found out that i wasn't going crazy and the lie of the stick was effecting my stick handling. I shopped around and decided to purchase a Reebok 6k Senior 75 flex at my local hockey shop. It was a great improvement compared to my crappy old Mission M-1. However, I'm still not satisfied and something still seems off about my stick. Right now, when I stand up with my skates on the stick comes up to my upper lip. From what i've read i feel like this is too long for my relative inexpertise. Stick handling still feels a bit awkward and my shot is wildly inconsistent. I want to cut my stick down but i want to make sure it's really necessary before i do. I'm also concerned that the flex of the stick will change too much if i cut it down. The flex is 75 at full length and i could see possibly cutting off 4 inches. I'm about 5'10 and 155 lbs, and i feel like making the stick any more stiff could be detrimental. I feel like 75 flex is a bit on the high end for me, I don't feel like my stick flexes much when i shoot the puck. I don't know if its because of a lack of strength or because the puck is too far from my body when i shoot because of the excessive length of the stick. Any and all input would be fantastic.

Sneaky Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:29 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky Priest View Post
so here I am again......

For over a year now, i've been battling the age old problem of finding the "right" stick. I was using an ancient Mission M-1 hockey stick that i picked up when i was younger (I'm 18 now) because i thought it looked cool. About a year ago i realized that the stick was not even close to being the right fit for me. The lie was such that the entire toe of the blade would be off the ice when i was attempting to stick handle. I finally did some research online and found out that i wasn't going crazy and the lie of the stick was effecting my stick handling. I shopped around and decided to purchase a Reebok 6k Senior 75 flex at my local hockey shop. It was a great improvement compared to my crappy old Mission M-1. However, I'm still not satisfied and something still seems off about my stick. Right now, when I stand up with my skates on the stick comes up to my upper lip. From what i've read i feel like this is too long for my relative inexpertise. Stick handling still feels a bit awkward and my shot is wildly inconsistent. I want to cut my stick down but i want to make sure it's really necessary before i do. I'm also concerned that the flex of the stick will change too much if i cut it down. The flex is 75 at full length and i could see possibly cutting off 4 inches. I'm about 5'10 and 155 lbs, and i feel like making the stick any more stiff could be detrimental. I feel like 75 flex is a bit on the high end for me, I don't feel like my stick flexes much when i shoot the puck. I don't know if its because of a lack of strength or because the puck is too far from my body when i shoot because of the excessive length of the stick. Any and all input would be fantastic.
You could go intermediate for a lower flex. I find on skates having the top of the handle just below my chin is nice for handling, and makes it easier to keep the puck close on shots.

Before you change too much around, examine your technique, if you have poor balance on skates you won't tend to lean on the stick to load it from fear of falling. So hit dry land and really concentrate on loading the stick

Old
01-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Sneaky Priest
See you Nov. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
You could go intermediate for a lower flex. I find on skates having the top of the handle just below my chin is nice for handling, and makes it easier to keep the puck close on shots.

Before you change too much around, examine your technique, if you have poor balance on skates you won't tend to lean on the stick to load it from fear of falling. So hit dry land and really concentrate on loading the stick
My technique is definately not pristine but my balance is pretty good i've been skating for a long time and feel very comfortable on my skates, i think i'm going to try having the puck closer to my body when i shoot. In any case, right now i'm just playing pond hockey and raising the puck isn't allowed so i'd rather have good stick handling then a wicked shot.....

Sneaky Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:40 PM
do0glas

AIR,

I recall you saying the 106 is your favorite blade. Any tips on shooting with it. I took it to stick time and it felt like I had to get my heel down on the ice and really use most of the blade to get solid shots..but I'm sure I could do it more efficiently.