HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michigan Sports Talk Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake28 View Post
If Stafford stopped throwing sidearm like a pansy he'd put up 5,000 yards again

Or he's been hurt all season and we just don't know about it.

*edit* On a semi-related note; has anyone played Madden 13 and what do you think about it?
It's not his delivery that is the issue. He has only one weapon on offense, everyone else that is playing right now is fairly terrible. Add in our terrible defensive backs, it's easy to see why the Lions are bad.

Last years Madden was better, but this years madden has ultra realistic physics.

Old
12-18-2012, 05:20 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

If you watch 2011 Stafford vs. 2012 Stafford its all about the footwork. He's relying on his arm way too much this year, always falling back for no reason, when last year he stepped into a lot more throws and was much more balanced. He just has to clean up his ugly footwork if he wants to regain his 2011 form.

Old
12-22-2012, 10:46 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Megatron is unstoppable

Old
12-30-2012, 01:24 AM
Kiddington
heehats

Knowing the Lions, with absolutely meaningless games like these, they'll probably come out and win tomorrow... and blow their chances at a Top 5 pick.

Only this team.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:36 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Ken Holland just got put on the jumbotron at the Lions game and he got booed.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Why on Earth? Did they think that was Gary Bettman?

Old
12-30-2012, 03:59 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Why on Earth? Did they think that was Gary Bettman?
I am pretty sure i heard a chant saying, "Get rid of Sammy"

Old
12-30-2012, 04:35 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
I would like video of that, you booing him doesn't mean it really happened to a large degree. Although with the lockout it wouldn't surprise me.

On a side note excited the Lions didn't ruin their pick today by winning a meaningless game like they done so many times in the past.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:36 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I would like video of that, you booing him doesn't mean it really happened to a large degree. Although with the lockout it wouldn't surprise me.

On a side note excited the Lions didn't ruin their pick today by winning a meaningless game like they done so many times in the past.
I wasnt there. Saw it on ESPN by one of their journalists tweeting it.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:01 PM
irishtemper

It's because that's a low blow. All the fans wish the Lions had good management like the Brain Trust and Kenny to lead the team in a smart and at the very least, respectable, way.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:09 PM
guinness
those were the days

As a Tech alum, this makes me happy.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:21 AM
MissNHL

Tech's goaltender was amazing. Shut out yesterday against UofM and today against WMU. Always enjoy going to the GLI

Old
12-31-2012, 01:30 AM
The Nose
#thefuture

Hearing Ken Daniels call those games really made me miss listening to Ken, Mickey and Larry call Red Wing games... We should be in the middle of the hockey season watching the Wings right now

Old
12-31-2012, 03:03 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
Hearing Ken Daniels call those games really made me miss listening to Ken, Mickey and Larry call Red Wing games... We should be in the middle of the hockey season watching the Wings right now
That and the fact they should have been all playing outside at Comerica. Feel bad for those seniors, missed out on a really cool opportunity.

Old
12-31-2012, 03:30 AM
Kiddington
heehats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddington View Post
Knowing the Lions, with absolutely meaningless games like these, they'll probably come out and win tomorrow... and blow their chances at a Top 5 pick.

Only this team.
Well hey, look at that... I was wrong!

Of course, this is far beyond the first time that I've actually been wrong about the Leos, whom I dare expected to at least be competitive this year, but nevertheless... hey, at least they didn't screw this up! And the Bears didn't even make the playoffs anyway, so all is well for a change.

Now that that miserable campaign has finally been put to rest, let's just get this damn hockey season in gear, kay?

Old
12-31-2012, 02:38 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

On another note, typical Lions management not firing anybody today. The management is so stubborn its ridiculous. Lovie Smith got fired after a 10-6 season for god's sake. There are so many great guys we could've brought in as improvements; Norv Turner is a great OC and Romeo Crennel was very succesful as a DC, not to mention all the other options. This team

Last edited by Heaton: 12-31-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old
12-31-2012, 02:57 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
Is it recent? I thought he was supposed to be a positive influence and a leader, not some media drama queen. He already complained about Texas "lying" to him about there money AFTER signing with Detroit. Not a very good first impression at all.

On another note, typical Lions management not firing anybody today. The management is so stubborn its ridiculous. Lovie Smith got fired after a 10-6 season for god's sake. There are so many great guys we could've brought in as improvements; Norv Turner is a great OC and Romeo Crennel was very succesful as a DC, not to mention all the other options. This team
I don't think the Lions need other teams leftovers...and besides, wasn't Schwartz a successful DC, look where that has gotten Detroit. (Although I'm of the belief that the Lions are just cursed)

Smith had the firing coming, after the 7-1 start, the offensive collapse, and his record against GB. They had the division and blew it.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:34 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

As a Tech alum, this makes me happy.
As an alum who had to attend the 2007 double overtime loss to Michigan in the championship game, that win felt really good.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:33 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Deleted and edited some posts - let's not go down that road it will never end well regardless of opinion.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
well, Tigers continue to get no love from national media. Morris, who I don't think is the best Tiger candidate, fell short of the Hall. Tram's vote % actually went down. And Sweet Lou has been off the ballot for years. I've pretty much reserved myself to waiting for the vet committee to see Tram and Lou get their plaques.

01-09-2013, 10:51 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
well, Tigers continue to get no love from national media. Morris, who I don't think is the best Tiger candidate, fell short of the Hall. Tram's vote % actually went down. And Sweet Lou has been off the ballot for years. I've pretty much reserved myself to waiting for the vet committee to see Tram and Lou get their plaques.
If Morris didn't get in this year, he wasn't getting in. Not with Maddux and Glavine coming up next year.

A couple things on Morris-

-The big knock on him is that he'd have the highest ERA of any HOFer at 3.90, but if he'd quit after the 1992 season his ERA would have been 3.73 - lower than Red Ruffing's 3.80.

-Morris won more games than Bob Gibson, Jim Bunning, Don Drysdale, Whitey Ford, Carl Hubbell, Bob Lemon, Hal Newhouser, or Don Sutton.

-Morris won 4 World Series, and was the ace of 3 of the staffs.

Guys like Biggio, ok, so he played a long time and got a lot of hits. He was a really good player for a really long time. But he was a total dud in the playoffs. .234 average, .618 OPS, and and even worse .222/.541 in the only World Series he ever played in - when his team got swept. A below average defender at each of the many positions he played, according to advanced stats. Yet he's going to get in very quickly and Morris won't.

If you only look at the stats, or saw the 1989 or 1993 seasons, you might not think he has a case for the HOF. If you saw the 1984, 1991, or 1992 seasons, you know better. Especially those 84 and 91 playoffs. He was a beast.

Playoffs matter. I don't know why the HOF voters don't seem to recognize that. Players who were around long enough to pile up big stats get in, but guys who were legitimately awesome for several extended periods of their careers get snubbed.

Go ahead and try to convince me that Bert Freaking Blylevin was a better pitcher than Morris. Who would you rather have on the mound for game 7? Prime Morris, or prime Blyleven? Case closed.

Aaron Sele got a ****ing vote. The process is broken.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:16 AM
Winger98
powers combined

I think you're selling Blyleven way short, especially if you want to go with stats. Blyleven belonged in the Hall, and was overlooked for far too long.

For me, Morris is lacking as a HoF candidate on a historical basis. Up against the majority of other HoF pitchers, he is clearly on the low end of the totem pole. At the same time, he was still one of the better pitchers of his era. Do we reward him for being among the best of his time or penalize him for his time not really measuring up to other eras?

I'm fine going either way with Morris, and putting him in Cooperstown isn't going to hurt anyone. I think Tram and Lou deserve it more, though.

The system let us down, but I don't think it is broken beyond repair. They need to revamp who votes, tighten up to either include people beyond reporters or to only include people who report on baseball and follow the sport closely - no more managing editors or writers who have been outside the loop for 10+ years. In a year, with everyone getting this little protest out of their system, we might have a massive HoF class.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:08 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
I think you're selling Blyleven way short, especially if you want to go with stats. Blyleven belonged in the Hall, and was overlooked for far too long.

For me, Morris is lacking as a HoF candidate on a historical basis. Up against the majority of other HoF pitchers, he is clearly on the low end of the totem pole. At the same time, he was still one of the better pitchers of his era. Do we reward him for being among the best of his time or penalize him for his time not really measuring up to other eras?

I'm fine going either way with Morris, and putting him in Cooperstown isn't going to hurt anyone. I think Tram and Lou deserve it more, though.

The system let us down, but I don't think it is broken beyond repair. They need to revamp who votes, tighten up to either include people beyond reporters or to only include people who report on baseball and follow the sport closely - no more managing editors or writers who have been outside the loop for 10+ years. In a year, with everyone getting this little protest out of their system, we might have a massive HoF class.
Blyleven was good, but he put up most of his stats in the 70s when there was much less offense than in the 80s. Actually when you look at the stats, Blyleven and Morris compare fairly closely if you adjust for the lower scoring overall in the 70s (Blyleven's 80s ERAs were elevated like Morris') and for the extra couple of seasons he had because he made the show a little younger.

Morris also had 7 top 10 Cy Young finishes compared to Blyleven's 4. On the "best of his time" argument, I recall people saying similar things about Jim Rice before and after he got elected - his numbers aren't elite overall but he had a few dominant seasons, and he's in. And without any of the postseason success that Morris had.

I just don't get why some guys with stats that obviously don't stack up to the super-duper HOF guys get in, and other guys with nearly identical stats don't get in. Makes no sense. I can buy that Barry Larkin should be in, but if he's in, Tram has to be in too. Ditto for Morris and some of the comparables I mentioned.

If you're not going to put in anyone from the Steroid Era, you might as well let in the guys like Tram and Morris. Otherwise the next 20 years or so are going to be extremely light for inductions.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Blyleven was good, but he put up most of his stats in the 70s when there was much less offense than in the 80s. Actually when you look at the stats, Blyleven and Morris compare fairly closely if you adjust for the lower scoring overall in the 70s (Blyleven's 80s ERAs were elevated like Morris') and for the extra couple of seasons he had because he made the show a little younger.

Morris also had 7 top 10 Cy Young finishes compared to Blyleven's 4. On the "best of his time" argument, I recall people saying similar things about Jim Rice before and after he got elected - his numbers aren't elite overall but he had a few dominant seasons, and he's in. And without any of the postseason success that Morris had.

I just don't get why some guys with stats that obviously don't stack up to the super-duper HOF guys get in, and other guys with nearly identical stats don't get in. Makes no sense. I can buy that Barry Larkin should be in, but if he's in, Tram has to be in too. Ditto for Morris and some of the comparables I mentioned.

If you're not going to put in anyone from the Steroid Era, you might as well let in the guys like Tram and Morris. Otherwise the next 20 years or so are going to be extremely light for inductions.
to be fair, Blyleven was 29 in 1980 while Morris was only 25. Morris spent more of the 80s in his prime while Blyleven was in the second half of his career- and Blyleven still posted better K and walk rates, and at least a comparable whip (admittedly I'm just not up to plugging all of those numbers into a calculator right now). This isn't to say I don't want Morris in the Hall, I'm still fine with it, but Blyleven was a helluva pitcher, and I think his case is much stronger than what was built up for guys like Dawson and Rice.

I'm with you on Tram, though. I still think the only contemporary who was clearly better was Ripkin. Smith was great defensively, but his bat was horrible. And Yount spent half his career in centerfield. I have to wonder if Trammell would have benefited from a move to the outfield in his thirties. He might have been able to stay healthier and amass larger numbers.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:51 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
to be fair, Blyleven was 29 in 1980 while Morris was only 25. Morris spent more of the 80s in his prime while Blyleven was in the second half of his career- and Blyleven still posted better K and walk rates, and at least a comparable whip (admittedly I'm just not up to plugging all of those numbers into a calculator right now). This isn't to say I don't want Morris in the Hall, I'm still fine with it, but Blyleven was a helluva pitcher, and I think his case is much stronger than what was built up for guys like Dawson and Rice.

I'm with you on Tram, though. I still think the only contemporary who was clearly better was Ripkin. Smith was great defensively, but his bat was horrible. And Yount spent half his career in centerfield. I have to wonder if Trammell would have benefited from a move to the outfield in his thirties. He might have been able to stay healthier and amass larger numbers.
Having Ozzie Smith in the Hall screws up all kinds of comparables. Is Omar Vizquel a Hall of Famer? He was a much better hitter, put up much better offensive numbers (outside of SBs, where Vizquel still racked up a bunch), and was regarded as the best defensive SS of his era. Is he a HOFer? A first ballot guy like Ozzie Smith?

Then you have to figure if Tram were to have moved to the OF, he'd end up in Dale Murphy territory - really good player who put up solid numbers, but those numbers don't really measure up against other top OFs.

The fact that Ozzie Smith was a first ballot Hall of Famer is just embarrassing.

Closed Thread