HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Finland

Old
12-30-2012, 06:21 AM
Gaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Sweden last time >>> Sweden this time.

I think they should be a good fit for us. They're the most "European" of the tough teams in our group (guess you'll have to count the Swiss among them now as well), so it definitely opens a door for the possibility to win the game via skill rather than straightforward physical game. And we're actually pretty even on skill this time around.

It may still end up being a tight game or a pure per C rice cows, but there's one thing I know. We're NEVER asleep for one second when we play Sweden. The history and rivalry we have guarantee that. If we lose, it won't be because the guys played sloppy.
Motivation is what I'm counting on. If Sweden doesn't motivate them, then nothing will.

The only good thing about the Swedes is that they don't play like the Czechs or the Swiss.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:28 AM
QnebO

Quote:

This is definitely something where we're handing the advantage to the opponent. They get puck, the result is a quick turnover and a scoring chance. We get the puck, we freeze the game behind our own net, give the other guy a chance to regroup.

We should move more quickly out of the own zone and end the rush with a SOG. Doesn't matter if it's quality or not. It gives us an offensive zone faceoff - and we've been good with those. Win the draw, then build a prime chance. Now we have to go in by the boards, and instead of making the shot, we rush in too deep and risk turnovers.
It was much better in this game already thought, they didin't all the time take the time to set up their (and give time to opponent set a trap). They just turned the game fast now many times.. it was good to see. Guys with skill will have much more room to work with when we turn it fast..

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:25 AM
Ville231

Really important win for us, and a great battle. This game reminded me a lot from the Fin-Ger game in the 2011 WC, where we struggled and eventually won the game in SO (Everyone remembers how that tournament ended). Adversity is usually a good thing.

Hope that Määttä & Pokka are good to go against the Swedes. Imo Pokka has been our best D-man so far.

Fin-Swe on New Year's Eve. Thats going to be a good game!

Ville231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:48 AM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Edit. Wrong thread.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:56 AM
Ville231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
Edit. Wrong thread.
Whoops you're right, sorry.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

vCash: 50
Am I the only one who thinks that we'll lose to Sweden for sure?

We just played a tough and tiring game, plus our game has been horrible the entire tournament. I haven't seen Sweden play that much this year but they have been more consistent and they got to rest today.

Hopefully Czech Republic will win tomorrow.

Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Gaps

I'm putting my faith on the Czechs to beat the Swiss in regulation. If that happens, we can afford to lose to Sweden in regulation.

I called Markus Granlund mediocre after the last game, and today he scored three times. Tonight I'm going to call Joel Armia a mediocre prospect who can't get anything in. Let's hope it works.

If we go into relegation with a team like this, it'll be the biggest Finnish hockey fiasco of the century.

Last edited by Gaps: 12-30-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old
12-30-2012, 01:45 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

I wanted to ask someone to help me understand what needs to happen for Finland to finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd. Having looked at the standing, there are a million variations that could play out so... nevermind. Looks like you could finish everywhere from 1st to 4th.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:18 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
I'm putting my faith on the Czechs to beat the Swiss in regulation. If that happens, we can afford to lose to Sweden in regulation.

I called Markus Granlund mediocre after the last game, and today he scored three times. Tonight I'm going to call Joel Armia a mediocre prospect who can't get anything in. Let's hope it works.

If we go into relegation with a team like this, it'll be the biggest Finnish hockey fiasco of the century.
I'm calling them all medicore then

Swedes D is their weakness. They are bound to make mistakes, we are going to get our chances.

Whether Määttä is in play, determines a lot imo.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Ville231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that we'll lose to Sweden for sure?

We just played a tough and tiring game, plus our game has been horrible the entire tournament. I haven't seen Sweden play that much this year but they have been more consistent and they got to rest today.

Hopefully Czech Republic will win tomorrow.
Yes we're underdogs against Sweden, but not as badly as FE. last year or the years before that. We just need to play like we played in the 2nd and 3rd period today.

Sweden is definitely beatable this year, but we need to be ready right from the beginning.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:28 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I wanted to ask someone to help me understand what needs to happen for Finland to finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd. Having looked at the standing, there are a million variations that could play out so... nevermind. Looks like you could finish everywhere from 1st to 4th.
It was talked about in length in the GDT. See this post for a summary.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:31 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Thanks, buddy.

That's nuts. So many variartions. Good luck. Would love to see you guys finish 1st - assuming Canada finishes first too.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:48 PM
FlutteringSaucer

Quote:
That is an excellent post. Shouldn't Finland win the group in scenario #4 though?
So regulation win over Sweden and Finland finishes first in the group no matter what happens in the other game.

Have people seen Sweden actually play or why do some people think that we are huge underdogs? Our roster seems at least as strong as the Swede's and it took a shootout for Sweden also to beat SUI. The Czech game is the only difference.

If that win doesn't wake this team up then nothing will. Did you notice how they celebrated the victory? Interesting game tomorrow also because now we've played against the trap teams and it's pretty safe to say that the rest of the games will be against completely different style opponents.

FlutteringSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:55 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPena View Post
That is an excellent post. Shouldn't Finland win the group in scenario #4 though?
So regulation win over Sweden and Finland finishes first in the group no matter what happens in the other game.

Have people seen Sweden actually play or why do some people think that we are huge underdogs? Our roster seems at least as strong as the Swede's and it took a shootout for Sweden also to beat SUI. The Czech game is the only difference.

If that win doesn't wake this team up then nothing will. Did you notice how they celebrated the victory? Interesting game tomorrow also because now we've played against the trap teams and it's pretty safe to say that the rest of the games will be against completely different style opponents.
I think people think we're underdogs out of old habit. There shouldn't be much difference material-wise, and neither have showed anything special yet. Goalies of both teams have been solid. Either one can take it. Would be interesting to see what kind of odds some betting sites are laying for each team.

edit: bet365 is giving a multiplier of 1.45 for Sweden and 2.4 for Finland. I was expecting more even odds.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:01 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPena View Post
Not exactly. If the Czechs win it in regulation, they win the group. They'll have 9 points then, when the maximum for us is 8.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
I think people think we're underdogs out of old habit. There shouldn't be much difference material-wise, and neither have showed anything special yet. Goalies of both teams have been solid. Either one can take it. Would be interesting to see what kind of odds some betting sites are laying for each team.
Don't know about betting sites, but in the IIHF app the guesses are 725-437 in Sweden's favor. But they're fan guesses.

The Swedes are beatable material wise, but they're going to be motivated (and rested) for the game. I'm hoping Finland will be at least as motivated, but the lack of rest is something nobody can affect.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

Unibet has 1.65 for Sweden, 3.75 Finland.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:04 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Don't know about betting sites, but in the IIHF app the guesses are 725-437 in Sweden's favor. But they're fan guesses.

The Swedes are beatable material wise, but they're going to be motivated (and rested) for the game. I'm hoping Finland will be at least as motivated, but the lack of rest is something nobody can affect.
I doubt either side has a edge in motivation. Maybe if the Swiss win in regulation it will give us some added motivation. What might affect our chances is if there's some small fear of the start of the match. I mean that if Sweden pots one like 2 minutes in it might really frustrate the team because there's been so much talk about us needing a good start to the game.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:13 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
Unibet has 1.65 for Sweden, 3.75 Finland.
That would definitely be worth playing.

I'm guessing the CZE game result (for both nations) affects the bookies' odds. In reality, it should be far closer though.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

Quote:
That would definitely be worth playing.

I'm guessing the CZE game result (for both nations) affects the bookies' odds. In reality, it should be far closer though.
I made a bet for Finland and a draw in CZE - SUI match. I agree, worth playing.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:26 PM
TZM
Par too easy

The team needs Määttä, badly.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:26 PM
muuska

Am i the only one, who trust that we are gonna destroy Sweden? 6-1

muuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Mestaruus

Quote:
So... should give us the advantage via experience then, given how we fought in the first two, while the Swedes were at home, stretching their wieners.

Seriously. Right now, I'm just happy that we don't have to depend on other results to have a chance. The Czechs better win regardless, but it would have been horrible to watch a game where we play for personal honor only.
Indeed. Swedes are gonna notice very quickly that eating too much popcorn yesterday wasn't a smart decision.

Big factor for a motivation boost for the team would be if Määttä can play. That is going to be the final nail that will make Finland win if he's able to do that.

Third period is the key in this match. Then we'll see if yesterday's game mattered on Finnish players energy levels or not. If it's a completely dominant period from Swedes it's not a coincidence.

Mestaruus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:21 PM
griffpf

barkov

dont know if this was posted already but barkov going 25 and 5 on the draws... wow thats unbelievable for a underage..wouldn't mind having his abilities in the show and can be reliable to win a big draw

griffpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:54 AM
Mestaruus

So... Since CZE beat Swiss in OT, what does Finland exactly need against Sweden to get group first position and what is the minimum needed to get to QF?

Mestaruus is offline   Reply With Quote