Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 12:36 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Imagine Trouba for the Jets next year , not out of the question .
With NCAA he has to leave school just to go to camp. He won't be called upon until Chevy and co are sure he is ready; they won't want to spoil or rush him by accident. It's not like the CHL where you can trial guys for few games and drop them down.

To me it is out of the question *unless* he takes a few more jumps in development.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:42 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGivingEr View Post
They'll likely keep him at Michigan for one more year.
Agree - one more year, and he should be ready to simply step into a spot on the Jets D-corp.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:48 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 1125
Having Zachy Goj and Trouba as the one-two punch for the Jets on D will be awesome.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
Lucky for us he has a classic hard-ass coach in Ann Arbor.
I believe the coach at Ann Arbor might be the reason the Jets ask him to join the big club next year. If anyone is unfamiliar with the history there with Jack Johnson/Red Berenson, here's how Kings GM Dean Lombardi feels about Michigan:

"During a recent interview, Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi explained that Johnson is learning his craft…belatedly.

“This guy has never had any coaching [at the University of Michigan],” Lombardi said. “Jack just did what he wanted.”

“Michigan is the worst.” Lombardi added. “For hockey people, if you’ve got a choice between a kid—all things being equal—one’s going to Michigan and one’s going to Boston University, you all want your player [going to Boston University]. Michigan’s players—[head coach] Red [Berenson] doesn’t coach. It’s ‘do what you want.’ He gets the best players in the country.” "

http://frozenroyalty.net/2010/01/20/...aft-belatedly/

Old
12-30-2012, 01:25 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
I believe the coach at Ann Arbor might be the reason the Jets ask him to join the big club next year. If anyone is unfamiliar with the history there with Jack Johnson/Red Berenson, here's how Kings GM Dean Lombardi feels about Michigan:

"During a recent interview, Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi explained that Johnson is learning his craft…belatedly.

“This guy has never had any coaching [at the University of Michigan],” Lombardi said. “Jack just did what he wanted.”

“Michigan is the worst.” Lombardi added. “For hockey people, if you’ve got a choice between a kid—all things being equal—one’s going to Michigan and one’s going to Boston University, you all want your player [going to Boston University]. Michigan’s players—[head coach] Red [Berenson] doesn’t coach. It’s ‘do what you want.’ He gets the best players in the country.” "

I am not that concerned, Trouba is a differnet player than Johnson. Trouba takes pride in being very good defensively and that has been evident at these WJC. Now don't get me wrong I would have much rather have had him go through the Wisconson system which has been an absolute defense factory lately with guys like Gardiner, Smith, and Schultz all poised to make major impacts at the NHL level in the next couple of years.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:25 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:

Ya we've had this discussion here before. Most think that was more part of JJ's nature and not his environment. There have been other defenseman that have come out of there with out the same problems.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Le Golie

I'm not talking about the player or any character traits. If the reputation around the NHL is that players do not learn enough while in the Michigan program, management might want Trouba to join the club. Clearly he is ready to play in the NHL in a guarded role, at the very least. Whether that is the best for his development is up to the staff, but I can certainly see them going either way.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:46 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGivingEr View Post
They'll likely keep him at Michigan for one more year.
Agreed , it is likely they will and I am not opposed to that at all. For all we know Trouba may prefer to play another year at Michigan and do that at a dominant level .

His game could force the issue though , it really could , envisioning him being in the NHL this time next year and playing well isn't only wishful thinking , he would be a plus player next year imo .

Showing up every game and being a big difference , love it.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

I think it is very important to see that Trouba, and his family (who from I can tell), feel that an education is the smart move before hockey. I can't disagree one bit; they are thinking end game and know he will be an NHL'er, and a good one at that with a solid 15+ years. But what about after that. We, as Jets fans, won't see him for another couple of years because he will finish his post-secondary and then move into the NHL.

Smart call on his part. I'd like to see him next year but I get it if he waits.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:58 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Wow what a game! I loved it on so many levels. As far as the game itself, we knew it would be a low scoring affair, with the Americans playing a bit more defensively than usual. They did a good job, but coughed it up too much. They also ran an interesting PK, at first they had four bodies in the center of the ice in a square, then they went to a 1+3. I thought the former was very effective, we had problems getting across the red line whenever they did it.

As far as players:

Scheifele - Had a pretty good game, solid defensively and always making himself available. It really is a treat watching him move around the offensive zone without the puck. He makes every single stride for a reason. His solid faceoff win led directly to the first goal, and he had more faceoffs as the game went on. Won many of the key ones, PP in their zone on the right circle. He coughed it up once when he had three guys on him and no support, but I can't blame him for that at all.

Trouba - Had beast mode on for this game. By far the best defenceman of the tournament so far from what I've seen. Moves around fantastic, doesn't cough it up, seems to make good plays, and a bomb of a shot. This guy will be a treat to watch.

Jones - Seemed to be off. Coughed it up a few times early, and was out of position for the Strome goal. Seemed to come on a bit later in the game.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:04 PM
JetsHomer

How is turning down 550k minimum to play for a 30k scholarship smart? He can always go back to school whenever he wants.

When he's ready I expect he'll play.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:04 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunk View Post
I think it is very important to see that Trouba, and his family (who from I can tell), feel that an education is the smart move before hockey. I can't disagree one bit; they are thinking end game and know he will be an NHL'er, and a good one at that with a solid 15+ years. But what about after that. We, as Jets fans, won't see him for another couple of years because he will finish his post-secondary and then move into the NHL.

Smart call on his part. I'd like to see him next year but I get it if he waits.
In one of the interviews I saw Jacob in after the draft he mentioned that when the Jets called his number he would be ready to go. He said Education is a priority but hockey is his first priority. I do not have a link for you but it was in direct response to a question by the reporter about whether he intended to get his degree before joining the Jets.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Subban really held Canada in the game today. There seems to be a lot of people that crap on him when he's had an average outing, but those same people are nowhere to be found when he plays well.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Subban really held Canada in the game today. There seems to be a lot of people that crap on him when he's had an average outing, but those same people are nowhere to be found when he plays well.
I didn't watch the game today (yet), but it seems he played well. Subban has the top end ability, and he can be great...but his knock is and always has been consistency. One game does not change that. We'll see.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:23 PM
surixon

Quote:
I'm not talking about the player or any character traits. If the reputation around the NHL is that players do not learn enough while in the Michigan program, management might want Trouba to join the club. Clearly he is ready to play in the NHL in a guarded role, at the very least. Whether that is the best for his development is up to the staff, but I can certainly see them going either way.
Another option open to Trouba and the Jets is the AHL. Since he wasn't drafted out of the CHL he would be eligable to play in the AHL next year if the Jets thought it would be in his best interest to develope their. Now most college players don't want to leave college early unless it is to go straight to the NHL, but the Jets may confince him.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I didn't watch the game today (yet), but it seems he played well. Subban has the top end ability, and he can be great...but his knock is and always has been consistency. One game does not change that. We'll see.
He does need more experience. He's only been playing goalie since he he was 12, so he's had to rely a lot on his athleticism. Just curious, but at what point would you give him credit? How does he win over the public?

Old
12-30-2012, 02:36 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Some notes around regarding the tournament:

Hockey Prospectus (After CAN vs USA):
Quote:
Jacob Trouba (WPG) has been great really dating back to early last year and he continues to get better. He was a force at both ends today and while his strength is his defense, as he’s high-end in that department thanks in part to his great physical game, he showed good ability with the puck as well. He’s quickly climbing my board in terms of his rank among NHL prospects.
Quote:
Mark Scheifele (WPG) got player of the game, but I probably wouldn’t have awarded it. I thought he was solid though as he was physical and was able to make some offense happen but I wouldn’t classify his game as dynamic.
(Don't really read into that Scheifele thing too much. IMHO, Pronman is usually hard on Scheifele because he previously argued Scheifele was a reach and that people argue against him a lot... That and Pronman glorifies skating above most qualities)

Hockey Prospectus (After RUS vs USA):
Quote:
The top four defensemen for the US minus Seth Jones (2013) were pretty good today as Mike Reilly (CBJ), Shayne Gostisbehere (PHI) and especially Jacob Trouba (WPG) were quality.
Hockey Prospectus (Team Canada)
Quote:
Mark Scheifele, C, Winnipeg Jets (Barrie-OHL): Scheifele has been high quality this season and while every scout knows about his skill and high-end vision, it's been the improvement to his skating that has notably improved his prospect stock.
Hockey Prospectus (Team USA)
Quote:
Jacob Trouba, D, Winnipeg Jets (Michigan-CCHA): Trouba has been very good in his freshman season at Michigan, showing significant offensive and defensive value. He was impressive as a 17-year-old in the World Juniors last year and should probably be one of the tournament's top defenders.
...That's all I could find now... Looked for some non-HP but nothing really worth posting yet....

Old
12-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Another option open to Trouba and the Jets is the AHL. Since he wasn't drafted out of the CHL he would be eligable to play in the AHL next year if the Jets thought it would be in his best interest to develope their. Now most college players don't want to leave college early unless it is to go straight to the NHL, but the Jets may confince him.
It's North America, not the just the CHL. He doesn't have the option of the AHL next year.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Got to disagree with you ps241 and Flying High. And one day I may eat my words but I'm fine with that, but I see him finishing his post-secondary. As for turning down 550k to go to school? That's a no brainer in my part. He'll 39 years old and retired from his career. You have to think of the end game and where you'll be sitting at 65. Education will broaden his options. As much as I want to see him on our blue line, I think he's staying put. As for his interview, I have also seen others where he said he consulted with his family and the best options was schooling.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:40 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Did anyone else notice the "true north" during the anthem after the game? It was faint, but it was there.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:49 PM
surixon

Quote:
It's North America, not the just the CHL. He doesn't have the option of the AHL next year.
I'm pretty sure its CHL only. Its the reason guys like Kesler were allowed to join the AHL early. Unless the rule has been changed since.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:50 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunk View Post
Got to disagree with you ps241 and Flying High. And one day I may eat my words but I'm fine with that, but I see him finishing his post-secondary. As for turning down 550k to go to school? That's a no brainer in my part. He'll 39 years old and retired from his career. You have to think of the end game and where you'll be sitting at 65. Education will broaden his options. As much as I want to see him on our blue line, I think he's staying put. As for his interview, I have also seen others where he said he consulted with his family and the best options was schooling.
Just after the 3:00 mark

For those lazy the loose quote is:

I'll take it year by year. When I feel I'm ready to play I will.

I believe the "best option" thing is in regards to Michigan vs Kitchener... I've seen more than just this where he said he would come when called.
I say either 2014-15 or 2015-2016, depending on a few variables, is all but sure.

Last edited by garret9: 12-30-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old
12-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
He does need more experience. He's only been playing goalie since he he was 12, so he's had to rely a lot on his athleticism. Just curious, but at what point would you give him credit? How does he win over the public?
Your asking two very different questions.

There is little he can do at this tournament that will win me over. Streaky goalies are a dime a dozen. I will give him credit if he plays well and that'll be great for Canada here...but even if he plays stunning for the rest of the games, it won't "win me over". He has no consistency. He needs to prove it over a full season. I do not like him as a prospect because of this, he relies entirely too much on his athleticism and until his technique improves he won't achieve the consistency neccessary, IMO. Sure it's great when it works (ie Fleury 08 and 09) but it's awful when it's off (Fleury 12, or pretty much any year other than 08 and 09)...I'd rather have the consistant solid game every night than a roll of the dice, particularly in a short tournament where one game and your done.

At what point does he win the public over...well have a good game in Gold Medal game and he will be the golden boy, untouchable. But the public is pretty fickle and tends to see too much into small statistically irrelevant sample sizes, IMO. Plus the public loves big saves, which he will give you.

Last note...I don't really care that he has only played goalie since he was 12. Sympathy counts for nothing, work our your technique or you won't make it. That simple. That being said, he's 18, so he has plenty of time on that account.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
It's only a CHL rule. And at that is only Drafted of CHL that prevents you from moving to AHL before 20. Drafted out of any other league can play in the AHL at 18 or 19. So if you play Junior A (USHL, MJHL, AJHL, etc) at 17, get drafted, play one year in CHL, you can still go play AHL at 19. Or like in this example, Trouba drafted out of USHL then going to college can come out at 19 to play AHL. The only thing is where you were drafted out of. Like how Yakupov could not be sent to AHL this year at 18 since he was drafted out of CHL.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Your asking two very different questions.

There is little he can do at this tournament that will win me over. Streaky goalies are a dime a dozen. I will give him credit if he plays well and that'll be great for Canada here...but even if he plays stunning for the rest of the games, it won't "win me over". He has no consistency. He needs to prove it over a full season. I do not like him as a prospect because of this, he relies entirely too much on his athleticism and until his technique improves he won't achieve the consistency neccessary, IMO. Sure it's great when it works (ie Fleury 08 and 09) but it's awful when it's off (Fleury 12, or pretty much any year other than 08 and 09)...I'd rather have the consistant solid game every night than a roll of the dice, particularly in a short tournament where one game and your done.

At what point does he win the public over...well have a good game in Gold Medal game and he will be the golden boy, untouchable. But the public is pretty fickle and tends to see too much into small statistically irrelevant sample sizes, IMO. Plus the public loves big saves, which he will give you.

Last note...I don't really care that he has only played goalie since he was 12. Sympathy counts for nothing, work our your technique or you won't make it. That simple. That being said, he's 18, so he has plenty of time on that account.
Where do you get the no consistency from? It's obviously your opinion. I've followed him quite a lot this year and part of last year and don't agree with what you're saying. You should watch some of his games this year. He's playing on one of the worst goal scoring teams this year and keeping them in games. I'll agree that he lacks experience, but consistency, no. On a side note, he's amazing in the shootout.

Closed Thread