HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Drouin...1st overall pick?

Old
12-30-2012, 03:44 PM
KovalSNIPE

vCash: 500
Drouin...1st overall pick?

Everyone is saying that MacKinnon is the consensus number 1 pick this upcoming draft with Jones at a close 2nd, but does anyone think Drouin can go 1st?

He has a better PPG average (2.00, MacKinnon: 1.73) and only has 4 less points in 6 less games. Has only 3 less goals while taking 65 less shots. He is better offensively, plus, he is outplaying MacKinnon in the WJC who is listed as their 13th forward.

KovalSNIPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Jim Morrison

No, because there's so much more to it than how much they are producing right now. Stats is NOT everything.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:58 PM
tfong

Also he's at a disadvantage bring a winger and not a center like MCK. I he may go before Jones but that's about it.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:04 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
I'm starting to think its a possility (albeit a small one). I still think Jones is better than either of them though

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:06 PM
LeafDangler

Regardless of how skilled he is it would take real balls for a GM of a crappy club to take the guy who profiles as a winger (although I think he could play C) over the guy touted as a #1 D-man and a guy hyped for years as a #1 C. So since all GMs are too chicken **** to put their jobs on the line basically 0 chance.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Mathias Brunet wrote an article about that last month.

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...6_section_POS1

He quotes NHL scouts that follow the Q league. They say that they really like Drouin's progression and some start to wonder who is the best one. For now they still think that MacKinnon will go first.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:14 PM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

He seems like a no-quit highly skilled winger. No reason he shouldn't go first overall. The draft should be interesting.

x94Galchenyuk94x* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Roof Daddy

Up until the Subway Super Series, I had not watched Drouin and wasn't sure if his hype was more a product of playing alongside MacKinnon. Having seen him 5 times now, I'd say he's the real deal. Reminds me of a quicker Alex Tanguay. Maybe he is another Giroux in the making (except a winger)? If you think he has that potential, it would be foolish not to take him. That said, it would take the perfect storm for him to go number one. Maybe if a team like CAR landed the first pick?

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:46 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalSNIPE View Post
Everyone is saying that MacKinnon is the consensus number 1 pick this upcoming draft with Jones at a close 2nd, but does anyone think Drouin can go 1st?

He has a better PPG average (2.00, MacKinnon: 1.73) and only has 4 less points in 6 less games. Has only 3 less goals while taking 65 less shots. He is better offensively, plus, he is outplaying MacKinnon in the WJC who is listed as their 13th forward.
Nope.

1 Barkov
2 Drouin
3 MacKinnon
4 Jones

This is the obvious and true order that a majority of hockey fans already knows deep down.

WolfgangAmadeusEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
Nope.

1 Barkov
2 Drouin
3 MacKinnon
4 Jones

This is the obvious and true order that a majority of hockey fans already knows deep down.
That is laughable it is Nathan and Seth, unless a team is stacked on d like Nashville and needs a center (or Edmonton that really could use Barkov's skill set and size down the middle, but even if I was drafting 2nd with Edmonton I would still take Jones)

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Jakomyte

I could happen, but it doesn't mean that it will. Didn't RNH make a big push from the #3 spot to consensus #1 in the second half of his draft year? Up until then, the 'big 2' for that draft were Couturier and Larsson, who ended up going #6 and #4 (I think!). A lot can still happen to shake up the top 10 in the draft, because it doesn't look like there's a generational talent.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:53 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
Nope.

1 Barkov
2 Drouin
3 MacKinnon
4 Jones

not sure if serious.

skip2mybordeleau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

I take Jones over anybody.

Defenseman like him dont come along that often.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
I could happen, but it doesn't mean that it will. Didn't RNH make a big push from the #3 spot to consensus #1 in the second half of his draft year? Up until then, the 'big 2' for that draft were Couturier and Larsson, who ended up going #6 and #4 (I think!). A lot can still happen to shake up the top 10 in the draft, because it doesn't look like there's a generational talent.
very strong point, and it was 8 not 6.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:59 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
I don't see Drouin as a #1 talent.

On a completely unrelated note, I'd die to see Drouin go to Tampa. He'd be the perfect MSL replacement for Stamkos.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:01 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
For RNH a lot had him 1st it was just the fact that he needed to bulk up quite a bit to get more in the mix, there was never a clear #1. Plus going a month without scoring didn't help lol.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:09 PM

I would think not, but I see no reason why he wont be a #1 center in the NHL. Yes I know he is a winger now..

Reminds me of Datsyuk and RNH more and more everytime I see him.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Sticks and Pucks

I think Drouin can go first overall. People should remember that Giroux was a winger back in junior and was eventually converted to center. Drouin can be converted to center because he has such great vision that the transition probably will not be too difficult for him. He probably also has the best hockey IQ in the draft as well. That being said, for Drouin to go first overall, MacKinnon's game has to regress in the second half of the season, otherwise no GM will be willing to take the risk. If MacKinnon's game regresses and Drouin's doesn't, that will make teams realize that Drouin is the better player (since they both play on the same team so it will be easier to compare the two).

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:24 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I don't see Drouin as a #1 talent.

On a completely unrelated note, I'd die to see Drouin go to Tampa. He'd be the perfect MSL replacement for Stamkos.
I see Drouin as a goalscorer more than playmaker and passer. MSL is definitely the latter.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:30 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
I see Drouin as a goalscorer more than playmaker and passer. MSL is definitely the latter.
I see Drouin as more of a playmaker.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:51 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Drouin is by far a playmaker, he is a pass first type of guy with amazing vision and excellent playmaking ability, he makes others better.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:56 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
Drouin is by far a playmaker, he is a pass first type of guy with amazing vision and excellent playmaking ability, he makes others better.
Boom, *****.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:09 PM
hab 4ever

Drouin makes his teammates better more than MacKinnon. I still have Mac slightly ahead but it is becoming more and more of a debate

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:28 PM

Drouin is a natural C and still from time to time plays C with Halifax. Not sure why everybody is knocking him for being a winger, he is not. The fact that he is a pure playmaker that loves to handle the puck makes him a logical bet to end up as a C.

Secondo, I think Jones is the consensus #1. Drouin, MacK and Barkov are not in a Crosby/Ovechkin class, whereas Jones might be the best D to come along since Pronger and the package he brings is very unique. I think it would be a mistake not to take him #1.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if when all is said and done, Jones-Barkov-Drouin-MacKinnon is the order. MacK really doesn't have the elite skills Barkov or Drouin have. He has more ''intangibles'' though

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Possible. I doubt it, but possible.

The WJC is definitely giving him some gas for sure.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote