HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 8.0 - "Time on Ice" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 01:31 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
I read this entire thread and here's the summary:

Galchenyuk is God and the rest of the US team, including coaching staff, sticks.

Can't help but wonder what would be said if Galchenyuk was drafted by, let's say... Toronto. I'm sure there's no Habs' bias here, right?
Galchenyuk is a special player. He is barely seeing the puck because guys like Grimaldi never spread the puck around. I think if Gally were playing C, it would really open up the offensive zone for the states and maybe they could get some offense going.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:32 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:

Galchenyuk is God and the rest of the US team, including coaching staff, sticks.

Can't help but wonder what would be said if Galchenyuk was drafted by, let's say... Toronto. I'm sure there's no Habs' bias here, right?
Definetly not. And I resent the implication. Do you say we are a dishonest bunch?

Old
12-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Fifthgear

Is it me or Sean Kuraly plays like a young Turner Stevenson. No vision at all and plays with cement hands, Galchy should play with another player in his line and at center position too. Have you seen at least 1 pass from Kuraly to Galchy in either game? Playing with 3 lines down 2 goals it also exists Housley!

Last edited by Fifthgear: 12-30-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old
12-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Not sure if trolling or srs.

I'd love to hear an explanation on why you'd do a 1 for 1 swap - gally for hubs - after seeing what gally has done this year. He's got a better shot, better frame, more tenacity, better work ethic and he doesn't dive like a *****.

'Who are you', indeed.
Well in my opinion Huberdeau will be the better NHL player, he has a good work ethic, just not this season when he is still in a junior team when he should be in the NHL.

He is a memorial cup winner, 30 pts in 19 games in the playoff, what is Galchenyuk playoff experience ?

Better frame ? Galchenyuk is bigger that's true, but they are on par in height.

What Galchenyuk done this season better than Huberdeau honestly ? What has he done that wasn't expected from a 3rd overall pick.

From what I saw I don't understand all praising about Galchenyuk tenacity and work ethic. Some peoples here were even calling him for floating in some games...he's no Steve Bégin.

Galchenyuk will be a great all-around NHL player, but I think Huberdeau will be better that's all. I think you have some bias against the guy, maybe because of his attitude I don't know really.

Who I am ? no less than you and certainly not biased as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I've been reading all you on this board that Galchenyuk is shortchanged by coaching and teammates in Sarnia and team USA.

Don't know if that's true, but if so, he should be used to it, he was after all drafted by the third worst team in the NHL. Saku Koivu was shortchanged by linemates for 15 years and the best he ever got was Michael Ryder and Chris Higgins.
He did play with Kovalev and Tanguay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post

Wish we could've had huberdeau.

You don't say.
Hope that's a joke. I've been vocal in the past about the fact that I clearly doesn't care if the team had only english speaking players and coaches if that's what it take to win... God peoples are stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
To be fair, it'll probably be easier to attract UFA if we say "you'll be winger for Galchenyuk" than "you'll be winger for Plekanec/Desharnais"
Plekanec has a very very good reputation between NHL players.

Last edited by Forsead: 12-30-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old
12-30-2012, 01:37 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Then we're in trouble. No one ever won **** on their own. Mario didn't, Gretzky didn't, Jordan didn't.

We have to be committed to surrounding Galchenyuk with talent.
Yup, Lemieux had Jagr and Francis. Gretzky had Coffee, Kurri, Messier, etc. Jordan had Pippen, Rodman, and Kukoc.

Hence the need for surgical tanking. Get a top-5 pick, add some 2nd rounders or 1st rounders at the deadline, wait three years while players develop, and profit.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Fifthgear

Is it me or Sean Kuraly plays like a young Turner Stevenson. No vision at all and plays with cement hands, Galchy should play with and other player inhis line. Have you seen at least 1 pass given to Galchy? Playing with 3 lines down 2 goals it also exists Housley!

Old
12-30-2012, 01:42 PM
zzoo

After watching few games of Galchenyuk and Strome, I find Strome is definitely better right now.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Yup, Lemieux had Jagr and Francis. Gretzky had Coffee, Kurri, Messier, etc. Jordan had Pippen, Rodman, and Kukoc.

Hence the need for surgical tanking. Get a top-5 pick, add some 2nd rounders or 1st rounders at the deadline, wait three years while players develop, and profit.
Might still happen . We know virtually nothing about this Bergevin guy, his vision or his M.O.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:45 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I hope Galchenyuk can get that quality of linemates for more than 10 games during his future tenture in Montreal.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Forsead

Quote:
I hope Galchenyuk can get that quality of linemates for more than 10 games during his future tenture in Montreal.
I also hope the same, because that would mean an hell of a dangerous offensive line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Might still happen . We know virtually nothing about this Bergevin guy, his vision or his M.O.
Well he learned from Chicago, so yeah can still happen.

Also, he hired Therrien, maybe that's why

Old
12-30-2012, 01:52 PM
jedimyrmidon

Read through the entire thread:

- Sure, Galchenyuk "needs" to play better, he whiffed on many shots, or didn't hit the net with his shots.

- He has points on 5 of 10 US goals. That certainly counts for something (i.e. counts for a lot).

- I read comments like: "If Gally is supposed to be great, he needs to score/create a play leading to a goal [regardless of how his team is playing]". These are the WJCs, and his last two games were against Russia and Canada. If he could take charge in that fashion ALONE then he would be a legendary player.

Seriously, his teammates CANNOT get him the puck. If he were a center, he would have the puck a lot more often and he could be a gamebreaker. But on the wing, he's reduced to waiting, and waiting, and waiting until someone passes him the puck (they often lose it before it comes to him). And even though he hasn't been at his best, he usually does something useful with it when he does have the puck.

I really think he's just frustrated at the moment/bored to death most of the time waiting for the puck while being open. AND YET, he hasn't resorted to taking on the entire opposing team by himself, and being a puckhog. He's still playing the team game, passing to open teammates and such. That's a sign of a good, disciplined player.

Edit: Oh, and by getting him the puck, I don't mean giving him the puck so he can be in possession for extended periods of time (even though I believe he truly excels at the possession game and it would be in the US team's best interest to let him gain the zone). I just mean getting it to him while he's in position so he can get a good shot away or make another quick pass, all of which would happen if he were being centered by someone with decent vision.

Last edited by jedimyrmidon: 12-30-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old
12-30-2012, 02:22 PM
pine

vCash: 50
I wouldn't trade Galchenyuk for Huberdeau in a 1-1 trade. Nope, not happening.

Hubs was the beneficiary of a stacked St. Johns team. Now that he's playing on a subpar team, he ain't so dominant.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
It's very hard to dominate the WJC, specially when you are not 19. Stephane Leroux often repeat that it's a 19 years old tournament and he's right.

We just had too much expectations, like the Leafs fans with Rielly!

We can still see good play and huge tools in Galchenyuk.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Gustave

Tied for 3rd in scoring. In a stacked tournament. On a team where said first line is abysmal. Let's calm down here.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Jakomyte

I really don't see what everyone's upset about.

He's got 5 pts in 3 games. That means he's tied for 3rd in tournament scoring, behind RNH (played in NHL last year) and Strome (top in points in OHL). Also, both players ahead of him played two of their games vs. Germany & Slovakia, which Galchenyuk playing two games vs. Russia & Canada. Oh, and he's an 18-year old playing with many players from the 2011 draft...

Sure he doesn't look as dominant as in Juniors, but he's still creating chances and making plays. He might miss some shots, but that's because he's going for the corners and edges of the net. I'd rather Gally miss by a few inches wide then constantly shoot at the goalie's chest...

Old
12-30-2012, 02:37 PM
NewHabsEra*

That USA squad plays a hard defensive minded game but clearly lack pure skills up front, Gally has no one to play with and his coach keeps playing him in a limited role...

Old
12-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Stephaaane

Quote:
Well in my opinion Huberdeau will be the better NHL player, he has a good work ethic, just not this season when he is still in a junior team when he should be in the NHL.
You made valid points, but that one aint true. I saw Huberdeau play since his St-Eustache days (Midget AAA) and since then, one of his flaws is his work ethic. He's not 100% dedicated to his training. In other words, hes a bit lazy. Thats what some players that played with him says.

Would I trade Galchenyuk vs Huberdeau,maybe , maybe not and the language aint a factor. Depends how Huberdeau adjust to the pro game. For now, I would say no, next year, I don't know.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Papa_Bear_21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I wouldn't trade Galchenyuk for Huberdeau in a 1-1 trade. Nope, not happening.
I agree with you. I don't think anyone can debate that Gally has superior skills except for maybe shot accuracy and speed.
Where I have to give it up to Huberdeau however is that he has continually delivered in big moments. It almost seems as though his talent level goes up when the moment gets bigger.
Gally has not really had the opportunity, or at least as many opportunities to do so.

I think they'll both be good pros. Who will be better I think will depend on the team and the preference of who will be judging them.

For the record, both players did not do much in today's game IMO.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:51 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
I really don't see what everyone's upset about.

He's got 5 pts in 3 games. That means he's tied for 3rd in tournament scoring, behind RNH (played in NHL last year) and Strome (top in points in OHL). Also, both players ahead of him played two of their games vs. Germany & Slovakia, which Galchenyuk playing two games vs. Russia & Canada. Oh, and he's an 18-year old playing with many players from the 2011 draft...

Sure he doesn't look as dominant as in Juniors, but he's still creating chances and making plays. He might miss some shots, but that's because he's going for the corners and edges of the net. I'd rather Gally miss by a few inches wide then constantly shoot at the goalie's chest...
Good points all.

During that last 6 on 4 PP, Galchenyuk was very good. Sure, he could have tied the game had the puck not hopped over his stick, but A) he was in an excellent position and B) even if he didn't get a true shot off, his immediate reaction upon controlling the puck (note: he didn't fan and then lose the puck) was to chuck it in front of the net where chaos ensued (note: the puck made it to the net! it didn't get blocked/intercepted by the many players in front [except Subban]). I'm fine with that.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Roulin

I've been impressed by Galchenyuk's vision and of course his strength. I don't think it's reasonable to expect any more from him in the offensive zone. He seems to be able to carry the puck from the sideboards to the slot at will. Elsewhere on the ice, I'd like to see him be more proactive in hunting down the puck. At times it seems like he could be moving his feet more.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:15 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'd rather fly back home than play a shift of hockey with Kuraly. My god he's awful. When Galchenyuk was about to rush the puck through the Canadian D, he blindly skates through the lane and hits Galchenyuk.

What is wrong with him?

Old
12-30-2012, 03:31 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
You can blame it on his line mates or coaching, but at the end of the day Galchenyuk has to play better.

In Sarnia when they need a goal Galchenyuk takes charge, he hasn't done that yet.
In Sarnia, they know to get the puck to Alex, and it's not every game that he pulls a rabbit out the hat. Small sample here, with limited opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
But I am not too crushed, at the very least it's proof he should NOT be in the NHL this year.
Oh goodness..

Quote:
So, the numerous misplays and fanning on the puck today were connected to the coach and teammates
in what way?
Numerous misplays? I'd love for you to expand on that statement. So now a puck bouncing over his stick, only for him to coral it and get it to the net, is to be held against him in such a negative light? It's him that allowed for all those chances at the end there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I thought a player following his coach's gameplan was a good thing?

He was playing on the wing and playing as we asked of him. Had he been assigned a center position, he probably would have had more opportunity to be creative; but that wasn't the case.

Galchenyuk isn't a loose cannon cowboy who starts trying to pull crazy **** and play his own game when he is frustrated. For Junior level, that might be a bad thing (ex: this tournament). For a pro, it might be a good thing.

But I might be talkin' outa my ass. Just happy he is team USA's #1 scorer.
This is much truer than you think.
Quote:
This game was watched through the Galchenyuk lense, there wasn't much difference between the teams it came down to a gem by Subban. Could have gone either way . As for the USA they will beat the Slovaks and will be completely back in the race.

Problem with the Internet bowmans is the already inflated expectations they themselves place on a kid who needs to develop no differently than anyone else.
I wonder what lens you were watching this through if you think there wasn't much difference here? Canada outplayed them and if not for Gibson, would have won bigger.

Although Galchenyuk hasn't been at his absolute best, his ability is there to be seen. USA hasn't been able to take advantage of it for whatever reasons, but I for one, am not disappointed in the slightest by his play thus far.

Quote:

Because having no bias means we should lie to ourselves?

Plain as day who the best forward for USA is, and how inept the forwards surrounding him have been. Jones, Ghost, and Reilly as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Good points all.

During that last 6 on 4 PP, Galchenyuk was very good. Sure, he could have tied the game had the puck not hopped over his stick, but A) he was in an excellent position and B) even if he didn't get a true shot off, his immediate reaction upon controlling the puck (note: he didn't fan and then lose the puck) was to chuck it in front of the net where chaos ensued (note: the puck made it to the net! it didn't get blocked/intercepted by the many players in front [except Subban]). I'm fine with that.
A lot of people won't notice things such as this, because it doesn't suit their predisposed notions.

Reality is, most of the time, he ties the game there and is the hero. Point is, you can't get too high about the good days, or too low about the bad days. Read between the lines, and see the big picture. In re-watching the game, it's painful to see the muffed plays by his linemates, and turnovers/bad passes to Alex when he's open in a prime area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'd rather fly back home than play a shift of hockey with Kuraly. My god he's awful. When Galchenyuk was about to rush the puck through the Canadian D, he blindly skates through the lane and hits Galchenyuk.

What is wrong with him?
Oh man, I forgot about that play. So promising until..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I've been impressed by Galchenyuk's vision and of course his strength. I don't think it's reasonable to expect any more from him in the offensive zone. He seems to be able to carry the puck from the sideboards to the slot at will. Elsewhere on the ice, I'd like to see him be more proactive in hunting down the puck. At times it seems like he could be moving his feet more.
Agreed.

Last edited by HankyZetts: 12-30-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old
12-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

He is a memorial cup winner, 30 pts in 19 games in the playoff, what is Galchenyuk playoff experience ?

Better frame ? Galchenyuk is bigger that's true, but they are on par in height.

What Galchenyuk done this season better than Huberdeau honestly ? What has he done that wasn't expected from a 3rd overall pick.

From what I saw I don't understand all praising about Galchenyuk tenacity and work ethic. Some peoples here were even calling him for floating in some games...he's no Steve Bégin.

Galchenyuk will be a great all-around NHL player, but I think Huberdeau will be better that's all. I think you have some bias against the guy, maybe because of his attitude I don't know really.

Who I am ? no less than you and certainly not biased as much.
Work ethic is not something you simply put off. You either have it or you don't. That's what makes you consistent or not. Some guys are just way talented that they can get away with less work. At the NHL level though, that won't work. Even guys like Ovechkin will suffer from working less.
At the end of the day, Gally doesn't stop working. Huberdeau does, and as someone brought up, it's not just from this year. I'm not saying he's an inconsistent lazy player, what I'm saying is that his work ethic has been brought up before. The same can't be said of Gally.

As for what Gally has done this year, he's been on an absolute tear scoring 29 in last 11gp, all this despite suffering a season ending injury last season just a couple games into the year. I'd say that's very impressive. Some guys will need a full year to adapt and completely come back. It took him a few games. Ever since then, he seemed to improve game in game out.

As for floating, you know, you can find some people that will criticize Crosby on things. You can always find something to whine about. Heck, Lemieux floated around quite often too. Bad games also happen. Perfection does not exist.

Bottom line is both are terrific players. Would I swap them? Probably not. I'm very pleased with the package Gally brings and I'll always favor keeping whoever we drafted.

Quote:
For a few games. If out of more than a decade of play here, the best names you could think of was Kovalev and Tanguay, it says a lot.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:44 PM
PricePkPatch

I'll just repost what I wrote in the WJC USA Roster thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12
and, what's the record? Being the best forward on this team at this point is saying much as the team looks pathetic. Yes we will give him the pat on the back because he had the primary assists the last two goals. This team has 2 goals in the last 120 minutes versus good competition, and that won't win you anything in this world.
You know, it would be a good thing if the coaching staff actually acted like they realized Galchenyuk is their best forward.

But they don't. They put him on the wing with teammates that don't follow a gameplan that can actually leverage his assets. I'd understand your gripe against Galchenyuk not being as dominant as he should be if he had been asked to play in a way that he usually IS dominant.

Don't blame your Phillips screwdriver when you are trying to use it on an Allen head, damnit.

And be grateful that even with clueless teammates who skate right into him and can't get the puck anywhere near him, an unfavorable position and limited icetime because of ****ing penalty, he is still your best scorer.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post

Numerous misplays? I'd love for you to expand on that statement. So now a puck bouncing over his stick, only for him to coral it and get it to the net, is to be held against him in such a negative light? It's him that allowed for all those chances at the end

I wonder what lens you were watching this through if you think there wasn't much difference here? Canada outplayed them and if not for Gibson, would ...

I will take the word numerous out of the sentence if you put it back in context, where the comment went against a wave of comments against the coach and teammates that they weren't adequately supporting this player. Galleys command of the puck was off by his standards .

Your second comment is ridiculous, I am a proud supporter of team Canada and even draped in the Maple Leaf Subban was the undisputed MVP of that game . He stopped 36 many of them difficult . Even the tsn experts agree that Gibson has played great but has been outplayed in 2 consecutive games. Having watched those games I agree

Closed Thread