HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

More Luongo Talk

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2012, 04:31 PM
racerjoe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Oh I know, thanks for asking. Teams will start preparing for next season the moment new CBA is agreed to. There will be moves.

But you're right, maybe the most explosive part comes near draft and before july 1st.

You can afford to carry both, yes. The question is how much Canucks can IMPROVE the team with both them on board.

The fact that there are teams with more problems with the cap doesn't mean Canucks have no problems.

Which teams have 1) cap space & actual dollars for Ballard and 2) actually want him?
Improvement can be subjective, I am pretty sure we will have three ELC's in the lineup, and while it may make us worse at times, there is no question the skill will also make us more dangerous.

Again have you gone to cap geek?

I think there is something like 8 teams in much worse shape, then us, we can ice a team that will be very close to the current Canucks with a 60 mil cap. It means this. We resign none of our UFA's at their current rates besides Edler, and we trade Ballard. If we also move Luongo we can then re-sign Higgins and Lappy, at raises.

I have no idea who would want Ballard, I do know two things, he has more value than people on this board think, and teams wanted him last off season, Elliot Friedman actually reported in on a radio interview. He did not say what teams, or what was offered, just that teams had asked about him.

The entire point is we are fine, and there is no way we Buy out Luongo without something else big happening.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:46 PM
Pepper

Yes I have gone to capgeek.

The fact that there are 8 teams in worse cap spot than Canucks doesn't really help Canucks does it?

Do you think there are teams who are willing to trade for either Ballard or Luongo without sending any large contracts back? If yes, any ideas which teams? I've hard time thinking of any.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:56 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Canucks need to use the amnesty clause out on Luongo's contract.

Canucks fan.

Old
12-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
Improvement can be subjective, I am pretty sure we will have three ELC's in the lineup, and while it may make us worse at times, there is no question the skill will also make us more dangerous.

Again have you gone to cap geek?

I think there is something like 8 teams in much worse shape, then us, we can ice a team that will be very close to the current Canucks with a 60 mil cap. It means this. We resign none of our UFA's at their current rates besides Edler, and we trade Ballard. If we also move Luongo we can then re-sign Higgins and Lappy, at raises.

I have no idea who would want Ballard, I do know two things, he has more value than people on this board think, and teams wanted him last off season, Elliot Friedman actually reported in on a radio interview. He did not say what teams, or what was offered, just that teams had asked about him.

The entire point is we are fine, and there is no way we Buy out Luongo without something else big happening.
Exactly people here just bring up the canucks cap situation either because they only look at how much the canucks have commited to this season and dont know better or are just hoping what they say just sticks as truth

Canucks have 67.768M committed to this season. Alberts, Raymond, malhotra, ebbett all come off the books and won't be re-signed. That's 6.6M off the books. That puts them at 61.168M with 11 fowards 6 dmen and 2 goalies

Lapierre Higgins edler volpatti open up another 6.75M. Higgins can be let go and replaced internally by Jensen. Lapierre won't command more than 1.5M with the cap at 60m. Edler gets 5m. Volpatti gets the same 600k. 8M added on so that brings the total to 62.318M.

Tanev and weise resign at what they make since they arent deservig of raises on what they already make

Trade Ballard for a 3rd round pick to the isles that brings them down to 58.118 with 11 f 5 d and 2 g.

D.sedin h.sedin Kassian
Booth kesler burrows
Jensen schroeder Hansen
Volpatti Lapierre Weise

Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison edler
____ tanev

Luongo
Schneider

Schroeder slots into the 3C for 1.025M and we now have one spot left to fill and 800k to do so

So we could easily ice a team with luongo and Schneider both on the team if we can't get value for one or the other

If we move one for picks and prospects and a 2.5M #5 d we could re-sign Higgins easily and have more offensive depth

Last edited by Ched Brosky: 12-29-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old
12-29-2012, 06:31 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Yes I have gone to capgeek.

The fact that there are 8 teams in worse cap spot than Canucks doesn't really help Canucks does it?

Do you think there are teams who are willing to trade for either Ballard or Luongo without sending any large contracts back? If yes, any ideas which teams? I've hard time thinking of any.
For Luongo, the same list there is now...
TO
FLA
CHI
CBJ
EDM
SJ
"Mystery Team"

For Ballard, any team that wants defensive help, that has cap space. It's not like we would be asking for something of value for him.

The Canucks are in good shape is what I am saying, we can carry both goalies. If you want one, you better give us something for him.

Old
12-29-2012, 07:56 PM
mstad101

Quote:
TO
FLA
CHI
CBJ
EDM
SJ
"Mystery Team"

For Ballard, any team that wants defensive help, that has cap space. It's not like we would be asking for something of value for him.

The Canucks are in good shape is what I am saying, we can carry both goalies. If you want one, you better give us something for him.
A missed season opens the Islanders as an option for Ballard since they will be needing experienced D to insolate the transition for their prospects.

With the Cap dropping to 60 mil for the 13/14 season, the emphasis should be acquiring a futures package from any said team acquiring Luongo. The pool needs are still the same, top end talent anywhere but in net and possibly young project scoring prospects. The Wolves could use an infusion of scoring into their lineup.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:29 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
A missed season opens the Islanders as an option for Ballard since they will be needing experienced D to insolate the transition for their prospects.

With the Cap dropping to 60 mil for the 13/14 season, the emphasis should be acquiring a futures package from any said team acquiring Luongo. The pool needs are still the same, top end talent anywhere but in net and possibly young project scoring prospects. The Wolves could use an infusion of scoring into their lineup.
There are cheaper options than Ballard for the Isles, who are a cash strapped team. If the Islanders are looking for an expensive dman to replace Streit, they'll need an offensive dman, which ballard is not.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:34 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post

There are cheaper options than Ballard for the Isles, who are a cash strapped team. If the Islanders are looking for an expensive dman to replace Streit, they'll need an offensive dman, which ballard is not.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:15 AM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

If I am not mistaken (just going off memory), I think even if the cap goes down the Isles are still way under the cap, they need to take on cap (I could see them trade for Thomas, who would sit this season out). So Ballard could make some sense. Hard to say what they would be looking for.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:03 AM
SufferingCatFan

Depending upon the terms of the amnesty buy-out in the new CBA, Lou has a chance to bust the bank. Ironically, Lou's contract may be so bad for the Nucks against the proposed $60 million cap that it is good for Lou, who can sit back take the buyout money, choose a new home and get a new contract paying him additional millions.

Maybe , he will give Florida a "hometown" discount and sign a 4 year, $4 million contract.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
Depending upon the terms of the amnesty buy-out in the new CBA, Lou has a chance to bust the bank. Ironically, Lou's contract may be so bad for the Nucks against the proposed $60 million cap that it is good for Lou, who can sit back take the buyout money, choose a new home and get a new contract paying him additional millions.

Maybe , he will give Florida a "hometown" discount and sign a 4 year, $4 million contract.
Lol look up canucks don't have to use the amnesty on anyone. If they hold on to both goalies and no one takes Ballard for even a 7th worst case scenario is amnesty him to get under

Hell it would be better to dump lou off for a 7th than amnesty him too as it saves the owner money! But keep dreaming about Lou having n the amnesty clause used on him

Old
12-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Canucks need to use the amnesty clause out on Luongo's contract.

Canucks fan.
Keep trying buddy, Why in the blue moon would they buy him out when there will be interest in him in a trade.

I love it's also the toronto media trying to say this is what canucks should do, laughable.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:05 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Keep trying buddy, Why in the blue moon would they buy him out when there will be interest in him in a trade.

I love it's also the toronto media trying to say this is what canucks should do, laughable.
Won't his cap hit be on Vancouver's books when he retires?

That would be why if that is the case.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post

I would take the cap hit, if it gets us a top prospect or player for him.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:13 PM
FakeKidPoker*

I don't think Tyler Bozak is worth 7 million+ a year

Old
12-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Which teams would be interested? Which teams need a goalie and have cap space + actual dollars to trade for Luongo?

Old
12-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Ballgarath

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post

canucks can handle LU's 1mill a year contract if he retires , if he plays this year and 5 more before he retires, its only 1million a year no biggy imo. why would we waste a good trading piece on the amnesty? what is so terrifying about having to pay out 1 million? it sucks but it shouldnt make us scared to trade LU. id rather use it on no finnish Booth.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:35 PM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballgarath View Post
canucks can handle LU's 1mill a year contract if he retires , if he plays this year and 5 more before he retires, its only 1million a year no biggy imo. why would we waste a good trading piece on the amnesty? what is so terrifying about having to pay out 1 million? it sucks but it shouldnt make us scared to trade LU. id rather use it on no finnish Booth.
Except it isn't the one mil that will be against the cap but the average, just like it is now.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:52 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Just read on The Hockey News Mobile App where they mention an article from Ben Kuzma of the Vancouver Province where he says if the Canucks want to trade Luongo to Toronto then they should ask for Tyler Bozak and Cody Franson in return. His reason is help until Ryan Kesler returns which is the reason for Bozak and extra insurance if Alex Edler and Jason Garrison get hurt.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:01 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Which teams would be interested? Which teams need a goalie and have cap space + actual dollars to trade for Luongo?
I already answered your question, but keep trying I guess...

Old
12-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Pepper

Quote:
I already answered your question, but keep trying I guess...
Refresh my memory, which teams you mentioned?

Old
12-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Ballgarath

Quote:
Refresh my memory, which teams you mentioned?
no problem scroll up man

Old
12-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Pepper

Quote:
TO
FLA
CHI
CBJ
EDM
SJ
"Mystery Team".
Sorry, I missed the above post.

TO - possible, Burke has been against contracts like this though.
FLA - Very unlikely, I don't think they want anything to do with that contract
CHI - cap hell, very unlikely
CBJ - Has cap space but actual dollars probably too much for CBJ
EDM - they need a better goalie but they have so many young players with huge contracts coming at some point that it's hard to see them trading for Luongo
SJ - I guess a possibility, unless they feel their window is closing

Old
12-30-2012, 05:08 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Sorry, I missed the above post.

TO - possible, Burke has been against contracts like this though.
FLA - Very unlikely, I don't think they want anything to do with that contract
CHI - cap hell, very unlikely
CBJ - Has cap space but actual dollars probably too much for CBJ
EDM - they need a better goalie but they have so many young players with huge contracts coming at some point that it's hard to see them trading for Luongo
SJ - I guess a possibility, unless they feel their window is closing
All of these teams have been reported as intested, with TO and EDM making serious offers (don't know what that means). FLA cleared taking on his contract as well. It was reported CHI offered Bolland +, so as you can see buying out Luongo would make no sense what so ever.

Plus with the Buyout option it means Vancouver can now take on another terrible contract, so his value may actually go up.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Pepper

Quote:
All of these teams have been reported as intested, with TO and EDM making serious offers (don't know what that means). FLA cleared taking on his contract as well. It was reported CHI offered Bolland +, so as you can see buying out Luongo would make no sense what so ever.

Plus with the Buyout option it means Vancouver can now take on another terrible contract, so his value may actually go up.
Reported? You mean rumoured?

But it will be extremely interesting and you can bet your ass that HF will explode if/when the trade happens

Closed Thread