HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Prospect Thread XIII

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 12:40 AM
PRNuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
NCAA back in action tonight.

Ben Hutton with one assist as Maine is tied 3-3 with Cornell in the 2nd, he was also given a 10 minute misconduct. Now has 7 points in 16 games.

Wes Myron and BU play in Denver tonight. The game starts soon and is being shown on NESN in case anyone has access to that channel.
He had a goal last night too

Old
12-30-2012, 01:09 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Nope, nothing to do with your video... He looked too passive earlier on. Still played smart, but held back. Now it seems he's fully back from his shoulder injury, although I missed this game so I will have to take your word for it.

I'm curious to see how Gaunce's size will translate to the NHL. He's as wide as he is big, so I'm hopeful he will still be a physical stand-out in the pros, like he is in the OHL. If it does, it could mean great things for him and the team.
I only mentioned the video because that's when all the Pyatt comparisons started popping up. I think the passive-ness may also be due to the way their coach has them play usually. Belleville is known to be a strict defensive team, content with holding the lead with strong goaltending, dump and chase, and a very boring team to watch. These two games felt like outliers in terms of how they normally play. Maybe that's a result of M.Subban being gone and the coach having to adjust, I'm not sure. But they forechecked hard, were physical with both teams they faced and scored more goals then they are used to.

I definitely think he is physically ready for the NHL/AHL. In addition to the two hits I described, there was one instance where he was carrying the puck up ice, had an opposing forward draped all over him. He simply shrugged him off and the forward went spinning on the ice. While he might not be able to throw opponents like this at the pro level, i think he will be able to handle the rigors at the pro level with ease, but probably won't be known for these kind of hits. However, if it does, watch out!

I think his top speed is fine, led a few rushes tonight. Probably can still improve his acceleration. Maybe they have two for one power skating coupons, he can go with Archibald since its really worked for him. If Gaunce continues playing like this with some consistency, his skating is really the only thing that needs work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Gaunce was first star two games in a row too btw
Deserving.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:33 AM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
I wonder how much Gaunce will weigh when he fills out fully, he's already 207 or more and if he continues to get heavier and heavier he'll really need to work to maintain his skating speed. Hopefully he does make sure to get more power skating lessons if he isn't already.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:46 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I only mentioned the video because that's when all the Pyatt comparisons started popping up. I think the passive-ness may also be due to the way their coach has them play usually. Belleville is known to be a strict defensive team, content with holding the lead with strong goaltending, dump and chase, and a very boring team to watch. These two games felt like outliers in terms of how they normally play. Maybe that's a result of M.Subban being gone and the coach having to adjust, I'm not sure. But they forechecked hard, were physical with both teams they faced and scored more goals then they are used to.

I definitely think he is physically ready for the NHL/AHL. In addition to the two hits I described, there was one instance where he was carrying the puck up ice, had an opposing forward draped all over him. He simply shrugged him off and the forward went spinning on the ice. While he might not be able to throw opponents like this at the pro level, i think he will be able to handle the rigors at the pro level with ease, but probably won't be known for these kind of hits. However, if it does, watch out!

I think his top speed is fine, led a few rushes tonight. Probably can still improve his acceleration. Maybe they have two for one power skating coupons, he can go with Archibald since its really worked for him. If Gaunce continues playing like this with some consistency, his skating is really the only thing that needs work.

Pyatt is still a useful NHL 3rd liner. I do see similarities in their style of game, so that's why I referred to him as such. Actually, I thought he was Pyatt-esque before he was drafted, from what I had seen (Never thought we'd draft him though). It's not meant as a slight.

Anyways, I hope his strength advantage in the OHL remains proportional in the NHL. If he can bulk up, or apply his strength in the same way, then he's going to be a gem. As I have said before, I really like players like this. You just know he's going to translate to pro, it's just the extent of that transition that remains to be seen. A standard 3rd liner vs. an elite 3rd liner/2nd liner... etc... There's reason to be optimistic here.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Wish Gaunce would have had a shot at the WJC. He'd be far better than Lipon.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:17 PM
JanBulisPiggyBack

I have a question about Jensen's physical game

Does anybody out there have any idea what kind of game Jensen plays physically, how is he in the corners, in front of the net, back checking and taking or giving hits

I am starting to get amped about his potential as a Canuck, but I would hate to see a Rodin situation where his game doesn't translate well in a league where weight is thrown around so often.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:26 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
Tömmernes 2+1 in a 3-2 win today.

Edit: Highlights
Thanks for these, finally watched them today.

All 3 points were just super simple yet effective plays.

Goal 1 - Just drives the net on an odd man rush and deflects the puck in.

Goal 2 - wrister from the point on what looks like a PP

Assist - breaks up zone entry and plays a bank pass off the boards into space for on rushing forward who passes the puck into the slot for a goal.

Hopefully he keeps this up, and comes to the AHL next season.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:43 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Wish Gaunce would have had a shot at the WJC. He'd be far better than Lipon.
He would have been a good option for 4th line centre.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:45 PM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanBulisPiggyBack View Post

Does anybody out there have any idea what kind of game Jensen plays physically, how is he in the corners, in front of the net, back checking and taking or giving hits

I am starting to get amped about his potential as a Canuck, but I would hate to see a Rodin situation where his game doesn't translate well in a league where weight is thrown around so often.
He's not a hitter but his board-work, corner-play, and puck protection is what makes him a very special player. He loves stick-handling with one arm while holding the other player back with his other arm, reminiscence of Jagr.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanBulisPiggyBack View Post

Protects the puck well (similar to Kassian), excellent in the corners and in front of the net (very good hand-eye coordination so he's the perfect guy to tip it in or to pop in the rebounds), back checks pretty decently although needs to improve like any young winger. Doesn't hit that much, but he also doesn't get hit very often and he doesn't mind physical contact. I think he's about as physical as someone Jeff Carter or Loui Eriksson and he uses his frame the same way those two do.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:52 PM
ZenMaster*

Not sure if its been posted but Mallet scored his second goal last night, also had 4 shots on net.

He seems to be picking it up, my question is if he is being utilized a center or a winger?

Old
12-30-2012, 05:25 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Thanks for these, finally watched them today.

All 3 points were just super simple yet effective plays.

Goal 1 - Just drives the net on an odd man rush and deflects the puck in.

Goal 2 - wrister from the point on what looks like a PP

Assist - breaks up zone entry and plays a bank pass off the boards into space for on rushing forward who passes the puck into the slot for a goal.

Hopefully he keeps this up, and comes to the AHL next season.
Agreed - he makes the simple play seemingly with regularity. I like that he was out there defending in the last minute too. What a choice for your 7th round pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Not sure if its been posted but Mallet scored his second goal last night, also had 4 shots on net.

He seems to be picking it up, my question is if he is being utilized a center or a winger?
Good to hear. Not sure if he's still being used as a C, or a LW like it says on his ECHL profile.

Edit: Looking through some of the stats sheet, he seems to be more of a C/RW than a LW/C.

Last edited by vanuck: 12-30-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old
12-30-2012, 05:54 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Tommernes would make a great 7th D his first year over here. He's very good.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Tommernes was an excellent late-round pick.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:35 PM
thefeebster

Tommernes Can i get hired as a Canuck scout yet?

----------

Last night, Blomstrand picked up another goal bringing him to 5 goals since joining Altmtuna. He is 5-1-6 in 11 games. If he continues this pace, he'll be scoring at a better rate than both Collberg and Aberg.

I did get to watch a couple games of Blomstrand. He is on the first line, and first PP unit, but have yet to see him on the PK. There's definitely some thing to work with here, but still a project.

Old
12-31-2012, 03:04 AM
Fedz

Grenier released from Red Bull according to both Elite Prospects and Red Bulls official site.

Says hes possibly headed to the AHL.

Old
12-31-2012, 03:32 AM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz View Post
Grenier released from Red Bull according to both Elite Prospects and Red Bulls official site.

Says hes possibly headed to the AHL.
Does this mean the Canucks think he's AHL/ECHL ready and want him in North America or does this mean the Red Bulls didn't think he was good enough and cut him? Sorry, Im really tired after all these late nights watching hockey and the reason he was released is sort of vague.

Old
12-31-2012, 03:50 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Does this mean the Canucks think he's AHL/ECHL ready and want him in North America or does this mean the Red Bulls didn't think he was good enough and cut him? Sorry, Im really tired after all these late nights watching hockey and the reason he was released is sort of vague.
Likely had no need for him looking at their top scorers. He was doing well through first 15 games or so but with the lockout continuing they seem to have signed quite a few more guys and he has been bumped all the way down the depth chart.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...036602013.html

Old
12-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Tommernes Can i get hired as a Canuck scout yet?

----------

You should apply. Have you tried?

What do you project Tommernes to become? Interested to see next year's Wolves roster:

Vet-Tommernes
Polasek-Corrado
Andersson-Price
Vet

Quote:
Last night, Blomstrand picked up another goal bringing him to 5 goals since joining Altmtuna. He is 5-1-6 in 11 games. If he continues this pace, he'll be scoring at a better rate than both Collberg and Aberg.

I did get to watch a couple games of Blomstrand. He is on the first line, and first PP unit, but have yet to see him on the PK. There's definitely some thing to work with here, but still a project.

Collberg and Aberg are younger than Blomstrand... Still good on him for doing what he's doing. I actually saw a bit of one game of his, but I'm not sure what to make of him. He's going to have to become more of a checker to make it I think...

Old
12-31-2012, 09:35 AM
BerSTUzzi

Watching Drouin makes getting another 1st round pick from a Luongo trade that much more important. He'll pull a Huberdeau in the draft but he's playing like a 1st overall and he'll be a solid top 5 in this draft....my god.

Hopefully Grenier (if that's where he goes)/Mallet can step in with the Wolves with the injuries to Friesen/Longpre.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Pyatt is still a useful NHL 3rd liner. I do see similarities in their style of game, so that's why I referred to him as such. Actually, I thought he was Pyatt-esque before he was drafted, from what I had seen (Never thought we'd draft him though). It's not meant as a slight.

Anyways, I hope his strength advantage in the OHL remains proportional in the NHL. If he can bulk up, or apply his strength in the same way, then he's going to be a gem. As I have said before, I really like players like this. You just know he's going to translate to pro, it's just the extent of that transition that remains to be seen. A standard 3rd liner vs. an elite 3rd liner/2nd liner... etc... There's reason to be optimistic here.
If Pyatt were a center, he'd be very valuable in the NHL. He's pretty solid defensively, has a good shot so can create some offense, and he can step into the top 6 or PP in short stints. If Gaunce develops into a player like Pyatt who is slightly more physical, and is a center who is good on the draw, I'll be thrilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Likely had no need for him looking at their top scorers. He was doing well through first 15 games or so but with the lockout continuing they seem to have signed quite a few more guys and he has been bumped all the way down the depth chart.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...036602013.html
Not good. I don't think we've signed Grenier, correct? I believe we wanted to see what he was capable of in Europe first before wasting a contract slot on him. Getting cut by his team in Austria isn't a good sign at all. The Canucks will either have to make a choice on whether or not to sign him, or else find him a different place to go in Europe. Personally, I'd prefer option #2.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:33 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post

Not good. I don't think we've signed Grenier, correct? I believe we wanted to see what he was capable of in Europe first before wasting a contract slot on him. Getting cut by his team in Austria isn't a good sign at all. The Canucks will either have to make a choice on whether or not to sign him, or else find him a different place to go in Europe. Personally, I'd prefer option #2.
He could sign an AHL contract, similar to Longpre. It's risky if he plays really well and then any team can sign him but worth the risk IMO.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
He could sign an AHL contract, similar to Longpre. It's risky if he plays really well and then any team can sign him but worth the risk IMO.

Isn't there a rule about this where if a player is signed to a team's affiliate, that team has the first right to sign/not sign said player to an NHL contract? I recall something like this happening with Mark Pope...

Maybe the Canucks just wait this situation out if they expect the season to start shortly. NHL players will then vacate the Euro leagues, which should open a spot for Grenier... somewhere.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:41 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Isn't there a rule about this where if a player is signed to a team's affiliate, that team has the first right to sign/not sign said player to an NHL contract? I recall something like this happening with Mark Pope...

Maybe the Canucks just wait this situation out if they expect the season to start shortly. NHL players will then vacate the Euro leagues, which should open a spot for Grenier... somewhere.
I believe you are correct, just as I hit submit the Pope contract came to mind. He could go play with White in the German 2nd league haha

Old
12-31-2012, 11:36 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
You should apply. Have you tried?
Is this a dig? Hahah I don't think they have postings for this. And tough to crack what looks to be an old boys club.

Quote:
What do you project Tommernes to become? Interested to see next year's Wolves roster:

Vet-Tommernes
Polasek-Corrado
Andersson-Price
Vet
Tommernes, I think, has top 4 upside in that he can eat huge minutes by playing smart and efficient defense, move the puck well and skates very smoothly. He's a steady guy who can run a PP, shot is decent. He spent the majority of last season on the right side and this season on the left, so he is fairly versatile. But I'd be happy if he can make this team in any capacity. I am still hesitant after witnessing firsthand how Erixon flopped with the Wolves. They play a similar kind of game in the SEL, minute munching two way d men. So there is always that risk that Tommernes may not adapt well to the NA game.

Quote:
Collberg and Aberg are younger than Blomstrand... Still good on him for doing what he's doing. I actually saw a bit of one game of his, but I'm not sure what to make of him. He's going to have to become more of a checker to make it I think...
Aberg isn't much younger (only 6 months) but Collberg is almost a full year younger. Blomstrand and Aberg are both considered to be in their 19 year old season. So I think they are comparable.

Not only that, I've been able to watch Aberg for at least 25 games thus far this season. He was gifted a 1st line spot to begin the season, plays point on the 1st PP unit from game 1, hasn't accomplished much with his renowned shot and has no PP goals. He shows flashes of offensive ability but is very inconsistent, can be invisible some games despite huge minutes, Just average defensively, his shots get blocked often and doesn't create much offensively in a consistent manner. I am okay with passing on him at this point but with Nashville, their development is superb so I reserve judgement.

Blomstrand: I can see why some like him or at least our scouts did. He has good size, can skate well and has decent hands. There were only two games with Djurgarden in which he played more than 2 shifts and he was noticeable for good and bad reasons. He took the puck to the net twice and created some good offense with his limited time. Looked good on the boards and helped sustain pressure in the off zone (always good for bottom 6 lines). But there was one game where he took some very stupid penalties. 3 minors in fact, 2 unnecessary. He also had a diving minor, it was an embarassing flop.

In the games I saw him with Almtuna, I thought he played less aggressive than the prior ones. Perhaps it was the role he's been given now. But I'd like to see him be more aggressive both defensively and offensively. Needs to move his feet more, sometimes he is just standing around too much in the def zone. But I'd agree, a checking role is what I see him in for the future.

Closed Thread