HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 U.S.A. (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12 View Post
He had 3 pts vs Weak Competition, and has done very little since then, take off the Habs colored glasses.
He at least has done something. Of all the forwards he is one of the few to have done anything.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Made me laugh. Canadian Habs fans have been more protective/defensive of him than the American fans.
It's about winning and bashing your squad when necessary. If he sat there in the middle of the ice acting as a pylon they would defend him. I will not do that, he had a good game vs weak germany, and as the offensive leader of this team, he hasn't done anything to impress.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
He beats Makarov on that first one and this entire story is different. The key is despite the challenges the US have been right in these games, they are still alive and getting great goaltending.
Yep better to lose now than in a rematch in the medal round. Of course if we don't beat Slovakia then it's irrelevant. Sad thing is I think we are like 65-35 to beat them.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:22 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
It's about winning and bashing your squad when necessary. If he sat there in the middle of the ice acting as a pylon they would defend him. I will not do that, he had a good game vs weak germany, and as the offensive leader of this team, he hasn't done anything to impress.
You are preaching to the converted. I have not seen anything special.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:24 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
He had 3 pts vs Weak Competition, and has done very little since then, take off the Habs colored glasses.
"very little" means an assist a game? The only player who produced on par with him for these games is Trouba.

If he has been invisible, what do you call the rest of team USA? Galchenyuk has a number of scoring opportunity playing with much less dominating teammates than USA's so-called first line, in a position that leaves him waiting for the pass-that-never-comes.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:29 PM
sharks9

Quote:
He had the primary assists on the goals in the Russian and American games. He's been the best forward on the team in this tournament.

Quote:
Ummmm except lead the team in points?

Old
12-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Kvashinator12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
He had the primary assists on the goals in the Russian and American games. He's been the best forward on the team in this tournament.

Ummmm except lead the team in points?

and, what's the record? Being the best forward on this team at this point is saying much as the team looks pathetic. Yes we will give him the pat on the back because he had the primary assists the last two goals. This team has 2 goals in the last 120 minutes versus good competition, and that won't win you anything in this world.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:39 PM
sharks9

Quote:
and, what's the record? Being the best forward on this team at this point is saying much as the team looks pathetic. Yes we will give him the pat on the back because he had the primary assists the last two goals. This team has 2 goals in the last 120 minutes versus good competition, and that won't win you anything in this world.
I don't understand how he's supposed to carry the team on his back while playing 2nd line LW?

He's far less deserving of criticism than the rest of the forwards is the point I'm getting at.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:41 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
You know, it would be a good thing if the coaching staff actually acted like they realized Galchenyuk is their best forward.

But they don't. They put him on the wing with teammates that don't follow a gameplan that can actually leverage his assets. I'd understand your gripe against Galchenyuk not being as dominant as he should be if he had been asked to play in a way that he usually IS dominant.

Don't blame your Phillips screwdriver when you are trying to use it on an Allen head, damnit.

And be grateful that even with clueless teammates who skate right into him and can't get the puck anywhere near him, an unfavorable position and limited icetime because of ****ing penalty, he is still your best scorer.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Kvashinator12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
You know, it would be a good thing if the coaching staff actually acted like they realized Galchenyuk is their best forward.

But they don't. They put him on the wing with teammates that don't follow a gameplan that can actually leverage his assets. I'd understand your gripe against Galchenyuk not being as dominant as he should be if he had been asked to play in a way that he usually IS dominant.

Don't blame your Phillips screwdriver when you are trying to use it on an Allen head, damnit.

And be grateful that even with clueless teammates who skate right into him and can't get the puck anywhere near him, an unfavorable position and limited icetime because of ****ing penalty, he is still your best scorer.
and if he was a Maple Leafs prospect i highly doubt you'd be so generous with your analysis of his play then. Is he earning more than the 10 minutes of ice time he got today?

Old
12-30-2012, 03:47 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
and if he was a Maple Leafs prospect i highly doubt you'd be so generous with your analysis of his play then. Is he earning more than the 10 minutes of ice time he got today?
If he was a Maple Leaf, I wouldn't care much and would follow the main Habs prospect, like I am currently doing.

Point is, Galchenyuk is the kid I follow actively on the ice, he is the one I keep my eyes on. And most of the time, I realize he is very well positioned and just look at his teammates lose the puck in the offensive zone. He ain't a Jedi: HE CAN'T INFLUENCE THE PUCK WITHOUT TOUCHING IT

Care to actually answer my point about not being treated like one of USA's best forward? Put on the 2nd line, in a position that doesn't advantage him, with teammates that don't bring the bacon?

Old
12-30-2012, 03:50 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Of course he is, he's their leading scorer! Half of their forwards have 1 point or less and he has 5. Who do you think deserves more ice time than him?

Old
12-30-2012, 03:51 PM
ColonialsHockey10

JT Miller getting flack is rich.

He was bad in Game 1, but has been very solid since then.

Galchenyuk has been a complete no show, but since he has points he avoid criticism. If Gaudreau had scored on Miller's beautiful pass against Russia and his breakaway today I guarantee nobody would be singling out freaking Miller.

US haven't even been that bad. They had a tough schedule to start the tournament. If they win tomorrow they are very capable of medaling.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:56 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
3 points against Germany, and primary assists on the USA's 2 goals vs Russia and Canada. What is everybody else doing? He's been in on half of the USA's goals.

Quote:
If Galchenyuk really were the offensive leader he would be playing his proper position at Center. Kuraly has been brutal when it comes to finding players and distributing the puck, as well as gaining the zone. Galchenyuk at center would create space for himself, that combined with his ability to find his teammates would definitely open up the offense.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Galchenyuk, like all US forwards have been very unimpressive this tournament.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:03 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
JT Miller getting flack is rich.

He was bad in Game 1, but has been very solid since then.

Galchenyuk has been a complete no show, but since he has points he avoid criticism. If Gaudreau had scored on Miller's beautiful pass against Russia and his breakaway today I guarantee nobody would be singling out freaking Miller.
Miller has 1 goal, and is a -1. His goal was the 7th goal vs Germany, unassisted off of a turnover. Why isn't he carrying the load offensively?

Old
12-30-2012, 04:07 PM
theboss*

Quote:
Its too bad he plays for a garbage USA team that only scored 2 goals in their last two games which he got assists on

Old
12-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Zip15

Somebody save me some time: Is every USA thread little more than Habs fans complaining about Galchenyuk's ice time/throwing the rest of the team under the bus whilst ascribing zero of the fault to Galchenyuk?

I'll say he could use a few more minutes of ice, but, at the same time, he's been generally unimpressive, as have most/all the USA forwards. It's a small sample size of games, though, and he'll be a fine player.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:10 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Another disappointing game. Another game where the team is going to be kicking themselves saying "we should have won that game." Gibson has obviously been strong and the defense has been as well for the most part - save a few lapses in time, usually led by Seth Jones, which is a damn shame because if our most hyped defender played well these last two games the team would have stood much better odds of being 3-0 or had more points in the standing at least (although the offense is obviously still an issue).

Housley is proving himself inept. He shows zero urgency and in game management. What is he waiting for? Things aren't clicking. Try something new! I don't care if it's putting Galchenyuk with Bardreau and Jon Gillies playing right wing. He's coaching like a guy trying to ram a square peg into a round hole and he's still surprised it doesn't fit. Chemistry is still a problem but you don't have time to wait for it. It's not there currently, try and jump start it at least with something different. It's time to shorten the bench. Galchenyuk should be double shifted. Miller/Gaudreau/Grimaldi have been major disappointments so far. Neither have been 1/10th the player they normally show.

That said, and maybe I'm just a USA Hockey hopeful, but I'm not in the dumps about this team yet. They lost tight games to what I consider the team best teams in the tournament. If, IF, they beat Slovakia on Monday, they'll get a crossover game against a weaker opponent in my opinion. So if they can win two in a row (both winnable) then they'll be at least playing for the medal we all hoped for.
I am not trying to bash these kids, but this is a team of scrubs, at forward especially. the defense has some good players. they did a pathetic job selecting players, to many midgets, and the guys who are with size have almost no talent. the roster just isn't that good

Old
12-30-2012, 04:11 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Why not try something else? Put Gally at the center position with Grimaldi. And then....you brought Trocheck to play an offensive role? Well live and die with him. Or try somebody else like Lucia for the grinding role on that line. Or Hartman, Pietila or even Bardreau who is showing some great wheels. Kuraly and Barber aren't doing it. Keep MIller with Gaudreau but add whoever I named before NOT named Kuraly and Barber. Time to change the recipe even if some thinks it's too late. But I don't believe it is.
Of course Kuraly and Barber aren't doing it, they don't belong playing against this level of competition. the American selection process is flawed, just be objective and compare them to the russians, canadians, and swedes, at best this is the 4th best team

Old
12-30-2012, 04:12 PM
rsg87

With all the debate going on, I think there is a few things we can all agree on:

1. Housley has to mixed up the lines. We can debate all day who needs to play with who but it is imperative to recognize that the current lines are not working and the chemistry is not there.

2. Defensively, the US has looked pretty solid. Of course there will be lapses, however there hasn't been an abundance of them.

3. Gibson has played outstanding. He hasn't let in weak goals and his play will be key in the medal rounds.

-Overall I think the key is Housley needs to find what works in his line combos.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:16 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsg87 View Post
With all the debate going on, I think there is a few things we can all agree on:

1. Housley has to mixed up the lines. We can debate all day who needs to play with who but it is imperative to recognize that the current lines are not working and the chemistry is not there.

2. Defensively, the US has looked pretty solid. Of course there will be lapses, however there hasn't been an abundance of them.

3. Gibson has played outstanding. He hasn't let in weak goals and his play will be key in the medal rounds.

-Overall I think the key is Housley needs to find what works in his line combos.
Housley has no horses to work with up front, the line combos are irrelevant, to many scrubs, and the ones with talent play to selfishly

Old
12-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Housley has no horses to work with up front, the line combos are irrelevant, to many scrubs, and the ones with talent play to selfishly
Time to go home then I guess.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
Its too bad he plays for a garbage USA team that only scored 2 goals in their last two games which he got assists on

Old
12-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

I was caught up with the Seth Jones hype for a while but after watching him against Russia and Canada I am pretty disappointed. I put the blame solely on him for the loss to Russia, he let the guy skate right through him who which led to the 2nd goal.

He looked great against Germany, but a 1st overall draft pick in 2013? You have to be kidding me.

Closed Thread