HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Off-Season Talk

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 03:46 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Didn't really want that win. Would have loved a better draft selection.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Flat Stanley

At first i really didn't care about a win but a season where you lose your last 4 games, get swept by the Browns and finish 7-9 would have been too pathetic. I'm happy they finished the season on a high note.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Didn't really want that win. Would have loved a better draft selection.
stop it

Old
12-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Shockmaster

So does anyone want Todd Haley back?

I must admit I'm torn. In the last month of the regular season Haley's play calling has been absolutely idiotic and has made Arians look good. On the other hand, I think he's been handcuffed by Art Rooney II because he's enamored with outdated philosophies. Haley wasn't scared to throw down field in Arizona with Warner and Fitzgerald, yet they hardly let Ben throw down field unless it was the end of the half or the end of the game.

Either way, this team needs to stop trying to be like the old Steelers. I'd rather see them get a TD in 2 minutes than to grind out an 8 minute drive an only come away with 3 points.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:30 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post

Either way, this team needs to stop trying to be like the old Steelers. I'd rather see them get a TD in 2 minutes than to grind out an 8 minute drive an only come away with 3 points.
The problem with quick strike offense, it put our aging defense on the field more often than offense. That's why time possession was important for us.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:06 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

I am glad we won. Let the draft order be what it will be. No way would losing to the Browns be good for anyone.

Last edited by td_ice: 12-30-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old
12-30-2012, 05:40 PM
The Old Master

Quote:
he couldnt get on the field and do it himself.....imo the players &%^%$& the bed. when you have a poor team sometimes you can't play it safe you have to take some risk to make up for their bad play.....if .....it works you look great .....if...it don.t you look like tod.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:41 PM
The Old Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
I am glad we won. Let the draft order be what it will be. No way would losing to the Browns be good for anyone.
agreed! as long as we beat the browns it was a passable year

Old
12-30-2012, 05:47 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Really?

That seems to be setting the standard pretty low.

And... you know... "the standard is the standard."

Old
12-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:

I must admit I'm torn. In the last month of the regular season Haley's play calling has been absolutely idiotic and has made Arians look good. On the other hand, I think he's been handcuffed by Art Rooney II because he's enamored with outdated philosophies. Haley wasn't scared to throw down field in Arizona with Warner and Fitzgerald, yet they hardly let Ben throw down field unless it was the end of the half or the end of the game.

Yes, I want Haley back. He's a pretty good offensive coordinator. However, I do think he needs to make adjustments.

The Steelers were doing pretty good before Ben got hurt. They had that "one game at a time" mentality, then when Ben got hurt, Leftwich came in and couldn't really move the ball against the Chiefs or the Ravens. Then Batch came in and we turned the ball over 8 times against Cleveland and the barely beat Baltimore. Ben came back, he was rusty to start the game, when he got going the defense just stopped playing at a high level. In Dallas we were winning, Antonio Brown tried to make a play on the punt return, he fumbled, then Ben was intercepted in OT. Against Cincinnati, Steelers were doing decent until the interception by Roethlisberger with 15 seconds left in the 4th.

Todd Haley shouldn't be held resonsible for any of that. We didn't have backup QBs capable enough to win games, and Ben was rusty and I don't think he was 100% after coming back from injury.

Sure, his play calling can be questioned, but he can't control Ben's accuracy or his running backs and receivers' ability to catch and hold onto the football, which was ultimately what lost us games.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

vCash: 977
You guys are starting to sound like Browns fans.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:54 PM
sniugneP

I think we're at 17th pick.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:51 PM
End of Line
Human After All

From the sounds of it, Hampton and Foote might be done. Harrison possibly as well.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
12-30-2012, 08:31 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
From the sounds of it, Hampton and Foote might be done. Harrison possibly as well.
I won't have a problem with these guys gone. We need some youth in defense.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:37 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
I won't have a problem with these guys gone. We need some youth in defense.
Me either, I'll just miss Harrison quite a bit. McClendon should have been starting over Hampton all year.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:19 PM
JTG

Too little, too late, boys.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Yes, I want Haley back. He's a pretty good offensive coordinator. However, I do think he needs to make adjustments.

The Steelers were doing pretty good before Ben got hurt. They had that "one game at a time" mentality, then when Ben got hurt, Leftwich came in and couldn't really move the ball against the Chiefs or the Ravens. Then Batch came in and we turned the ball over 8 times against Cleveland and the barely beat Baltimore. Ben came back, he was rusty to start the game, when he got going the defense just stopped playing at a high level. In Dallas we were winning, Antonio Brown tried to make a play on the punt return, he fumbled, then Ben was intercepted in OT. Against Cincinnati, Steelers were doing decent until the interception by Roethlisberger with 15 seconds left in the 4th.

Todd Haley shouldn't be held resonsible for any of that. We didn't have backup QBs capable enough to win games, and Ben was rusty and I don't think he was 100% after coming back from injury.

Sure, his play calling can be questioned, but he can't control Ben's accuracy or his running backs and receivers' ability to catch and hold onto the football, which was ultimately what lost us games.
Obviously there were things Haley couldn't control - mostly the injuries to key players and the fact the WRs couldn't catch the ball to save their lives.

This offense played too close to the vest. Arians may have taken too many deep shots, but Haley did not take enough. They worried too much about putting together long drives rather than scoring. Too often the WRs would only run routes that went only 5 to 10 yard beyond the LOS. Would you rather see them get a TD in 2 minutes or a FG in 8 minutes? It was almost Marty ball, except instead of being run, run, pass all of the time it was run, bubble screen, pass or run, end-around, pass. Once other teams figured out the Steelers were basically playing Marty ball, Haley never adjusted.

Now I admit the team that owns time of possession generally wins. But you have to do more than just possess - you have to attack. The Steelers simply did not do that and ended up playing scared football. Take the 2011 New England game for example - the Steelers dominated in time of possession, but they didn't play Marty ball (like they normally do against the Pats). They attacked, and didn't let up. This season, the Steelers didn't do that. Was it because they were scared to death Ben would get hurt? Was it because Art II is fixated with outdated philosophies? Was it because the Steelers are scared to death that they might get in a shootout? Was it because some are still pissed about Ben's off the field issues and they don't want him to look like the face of the franchise?

I fully acknowledge that players have to play better and stay healthy, but it should also be acknowledged that the Steelers also need to change their philosophies if they want to be a contending team next year.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

The evolution of the Steelers over the next few years is going to be very interesting.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:48 PM
JTG

There's going to be a huge turnover here. The writing is on the wall. These moments in a team's evolution is always difficult because it can go one of two ways. The old regime and leaders on the team can make a seamless transition with new players, where new guys emerge, or they can toil in mediocrity until they are able to find an identity and build a team around those guys.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Even though this is likely the end of an era for this franchise, let's not forget what it brought to us.

For the past decade+ the Steelers were able to draft, acquire, develop, and keep elite talent. Consistently elite defense every season, 2 different defensive MVPs, 2 super bowl wins plus a 3rd appearance. The defense consistently had elite players at every position throughout this era. Ike and Troy at DB (HM to Hope and Clark). Porter, Farrior, Harrison, Gildon, Timmons at LB. Hampton, Smith, and Kiesel on the Dline. Truly a remarkable feat.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
There's going to be a huge turnover here. The writing is on the wall. These moments in a team's evolution is always difficult because it can go one of two ways. The old regime and leaders on the team can make a seamless transition with new players, where new guys emerge, or they can toil in mediocrity until they are able to find an identity and build a team around those guys.
Are you implying the Steelers need to go from a defensive team to an offensive team? If you are, I agree - but I'm not sure the Steelers want to embrace that.

Old
12-31-2012, 06:16 AM
The Old Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
You guys are starting to sound like Browns fans.
just remember there was a team before chuck came to town

Old
12-31-2012, 07:59 AM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
The problem with quick strike offense, it put our aging defense on the field more often than offense. That's why time possession was important for us.
Remember the Denver game? The offense kept putting together long drives, and afterwards Manning just marched down the field in a small amount of time and scored. This defense has shown it can blow a lead even when it's been on the field less than 25 minutes a game.

The best way for an offense to take pressure off of a defense is to score. The Steelers need to realize that a TD in 2 minutes is better than a FG after 7 or 8 minutes.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:04 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I don't think scheme would have made much of a difference for them this season. They just didn't execute late in enough games. It happens to them every few years when the bad execution late in games outweighs the good. Most years they close out games good enough to have very good records though.

Ben isn't Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees etc. so I don't see the Steelers offense ever being elite. The only other way to possibly become elite would be to dominate in the run game and combine that with Ben's abilities. I guess that may be possible if they land another big time O-Lineman and find a big time RB to go with it. Otherwise they will play their schedule of overwhelmingly nail bitters and need to execute late which they didn't do well enough this season.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:16 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Still wound't mind see them change the D to a 4-3 and drafting Hankins and Simon, only to piss Big off.

Closed Thread