HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

leafs in 2013 short season

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-29-2012, 11:50 PM
  #1
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER
 
cup67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TORONTO
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,158
vCash: 500
leafs in 2013 short season

if the season does start in jan.
how many players do the leafs need to sign ?
I'm thinking at least 3 defence and 1 more forward
leave the players down in the ahl, the marlies are doing good, its only a shortened NHL season

they have 11 mil to spend to the cap.

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:13 AM
  #2
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
if the season does start in jan.
how many players do the leafs need to sign ?
I'm thinking at least 3 defence and 1 more forward
leave the players down in the ahl, the marlies are doing good, its only a shortened NHL season

they have 11 mil to spend to the cap.
Who's available?

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:25 AM
  #3
Everlong
JoeyBats
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,809
vCash: 500
No room unless someone is bought out tbh. Too many bodies.

Players on last year of contracts:
MacArthur (3.25)
Connolly (4.75)
Lombardi (3.5)
Steckel (1.1)

Players on last year of contracts that will probably be re-signed:
Bozak
Lupul

Next year is the year to potentially make a splash in free agency. However, considering Burke's recent signings, I hope he stays away from it.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:32 AM
  #4
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
No room unless someone is bought out tbh. Too many bodies.

Players on last year of contracts:
MacArthur (3.25)
Connolly (4.75)
Lombardi (3.5)
Steckel (1.1)

Players on last year of contracts that will probably be re-signed:
Bozak
Lupul

Next year is the year to potentially make a splash in free agency. However, considering Burke's recent signings, I hope he stays away from it.
HE seems to better with a trade than he does with FA.

Although with the undrafted ufa's he has hit a home run. Compared to any other GM.


Question:
If hte NHL plays this year,
Do the Anti - BUrke Crowd count this as a full season?

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:07 AM
  #5
rdawg1234
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,588
vCash: 500
I believe just Franson has to be resigned.

Connolly and Lombardi will 100% be gone, Connolly through trade, Lombardi simply dumped.

Hoping MacA gets traded, he does have some value and is a decent player, throw him to st louis or something for a pick/prospect.

Resign Lupul, trade Bozak for Luongo like rumored(hehe) or resign him if he stays.

leaves us with ALOT of capspace, something like an extra 13-14 mil this offseason.

and who's a free agent, Getzlaf and Perry!(who I'm surprised didnt resign).

Would be a dream if we got them both, but maybe one will be interested?

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:32 AM
  #6
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Question:
If hte NHL plays this year,
Do the Anti - BUrke Crowd count this as a full season?
Why wouldn't you count this as a season? The number of games is basically meaningless for Burke's job. He had his off-season, he'll have his trade deadline, and he'll have his draft.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:56 AM
  #7
Brody
Registered User
 
Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,443
vCash: 560
Why would we leave them down? It doesn't matter if its a shortened season, we're trying to make the playoffs. Three dmen, why? Why would we sign those players? We'd just have last years' lineup with additions of McClement, Komarov, etc. and subtraction of Franson, I guess.


Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:08 AM
  #8
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Why wouldn't you count this as a season? The number of games is basically meaningless for Burke's job. He had his off-season, he'll have his trade deadline, and he'll have his draft.
#1 BUrke hasn't been allowed to talk TO players during the lockout.
#2 B urke hasn't been allowed to talk ABOUT players with other GMs during the lockout.


But ya let's say he has had an entire year to do his job. So WRONG!

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:24 PM
  #9
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
#1 BUrke hasn't been allowed to talk TO players during the lockout.
#2 B urke hasn't been allowed to talk ABOUT players with other GMs during the lockout.


But ya let's say he has had an entire year to do his job. So WRONG!
Burke's job should always be compared to how the team progresses compared to the rest of the league. He's under the same disadvantages as the rest of the NHL world. He's had exactly as much of a year to do his job as all the other GMs. Why should he get bonus marks?

As I said aready, he'll still get his major season markers - draft, UFA, and trade deadline.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:47 PM
  #10
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Question:
If hte NHL plays this year,
Do the Anti - BUrke Crowd count this as a full season?
Absolutely. They counted his first season as a full season, as well, even through he had no input in what the team would look like for the majority of the season.

As long as there's a decent window for "pre-season" trades, and a TDL, he's had as much of a chance to alter the team during the offseason as any other team has.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:42 PM
  #11
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,625
vCash: 500
There wont be any major signings. I expect a significant trade or two

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:10 PM
  #12
Aplayaz2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,391
vCash: 500
so what is some line predictions

anyone?

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:19 PM
  #13
Everlong
JoeyBats
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 View Post
so what is some line predictions

anyone?
Realistically.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - MacArthur
Kulemin - McClement - Connolly
Lombardi - Steckel - Brown

In a short season I would think the kids would stay with the Marlies.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:19 PM
  #14
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
No room unless someone is bought out tbh. Too many bodies.

Players on last year of contracts:
MacArthur (3.25)
Connolly (4.75)
Lombardi (3.5)
Steckel (1.1)

Players on last year of contracts that will probably be re-signed:
Bozak
Lupul

Next year is the year to potentially make a splash in free agency. However, considering Burke's recent signings, I hope he stays away from it.
I would think Steckel will be re-signed too. He is a very good role player with his faceoffs and his size is nice on the back end. It's gotta be almost a certainty that Lupul is retained. He loves it here and Toronto loves him.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:23 PM
  #15
Rielly Good
Registered User
 
Rielly Good's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Realistically.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - MacArthur
Kulemin - McClement - Connolly
Lombardi - Steckel - Brown

In a short season I would think the kids would stay with the Marlies.
Id rather
Lupol - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo- Kulemin

MacArthur - Mclement - Frattin
Komarov - Steckel Brown

Buyout Connolly or Lambardi and Dump the other.

Rielly Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:28 PM
  #16
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rielly Good View Post
Id rather
Lupol - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo- Kulemin

MacArthur - Mclement - Frattin
Komarov - Steckel Brown

Buyout Connolly or Lambardi and Dump the other.
Buyout Connolly on the last year of his deal...

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:28 PM
  #17
WTFMAN99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,486
vCash: 500
We need to re-sign Phil in the summer when that opportunity opens up.

WTFMAN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:31 PM
  #18
Rielly Good
Registered User
 
Rielly Good's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Buyout Connolly on the last year of his deal...
Or bury him. Im sick of seeing him on this team. The kids need to be playing. Frattin needs a spot.

Rielly Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:35 PM
  #19
Brody
Registered User
 
Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,443
vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rielly Good View Post
Or bury him. Im sick of seeing him on this team. The kids need to be playing. Frattin needs a spot.
Connolly isn't as bad as we act like he is, sure he's not that #1 C we were hoping for but he is still an effective 2/3 guy on many teams. Lombardi came back from missing a lot of time due to injury, he played very well with limited ice time for a guy returning after so long. He will continue to improve, and is still an NHL calibre player, plus he was pretty good with Kessel and Lupul on the first line the two or three games that was tried. I'm not saying we should keep either of them, just saying they are both NHL players and get way too much hate by Leaf fans who expect every forward thats coming in to score goals. Other fan bases say the same thing about us.

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:39 PM
  #20
Rielly Good
Registered User
 
Rielly Good's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Connolly isn't as bad as we act like he is, sure he's not that #1 C we were hoping for but he is still an effective 2/3 guy on many teams. Lombardi came back from missing a lot of time due to injury, he played very well with limited ice time for a guy returning after so long. He will continue to improve, and is still an NHL calibre player, plus he was pretty good with Kessel and Lupul on the first line the two or three games that was tried. I'm not saying we should keep either of them, just saying they are both NHL players and get way too much hate by Leaf fans who expect every forward thats coming in to score goals. Other fan bases say the same thing about us.
I dont hate them. I just dont like that Kadri and Frattin arent getting there chance because of them. Connolly isnt on our first because him and Kessel dont look good together. He isnt the type of 3rd line player I want on this team.
Lombardi just cant finish. I would give him 3rd line minutes for like 5-10 games. if he cant finish checks and get some chances with his speed. get rid of him.

Rielly Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:41 PM
  #21
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rielly Good View Post
Or bury him. Im sick of seeing him on this team. The kids need to be playing. Frattin needs a spot.
I'd be fine sending him out for a 4th.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:44 PM
  #22
Rielly Good
Registered User
 
Rielly Good's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
I'd be fine sending him out for a 4th.
Really? What your fourth then? Put him on the wing? Because Steckel is much better at C than him

Rielly Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:45 PM
  #23
Rielly Good
Registered User
 
Rielly Good's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 648
vCash: 500
Ahhh lol you mean trade him for a 4th lol my bad.

Rielly Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:11 PM
  #24
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rielly Good View Post
Ahhh lol you mean trade him for a 4th lol my bad.
There ya go

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:22 PM
  #25
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,625
vCash: 500
Its kinda pointless to talk about burying contracts or buyouts. Its likely neither will exist in the form they did last CBA

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.