HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v24: Rudy Gay/Hamed Haddadi for Ed Davis/Jose Calderon swap imminent

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Kb21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
That's just it. His shot makes him so much more of a threat then Derozan. I think BC actually made a really good pick by taking Ross because he spreads the offense and really helps Derozan out on his game. And I can't begin to talk about how much having Ed Davis out there helps both of them.
the thing is i don't believe BC drafted him based upon his potential as a starting SG but instead as another guy nash could use so i myself wouldn't give any more credit then winning the lottery. BTW i really hope ross develops his own shot instead of being a pure spot up shooter because that would add a whole other dimension to him.

Quote:
I think his injury really screwed up his mechanics and rhythm. Also he had to learn his teammates all the while. This Landry was the Landry I was expecting at the beginning of the year. I still don't think he's worth 6.5 million a year but it's better than what we were getting.
well either he keeps playing like this or gets shipped out along with his PS vita.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:05 AM
Rielly Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post
the thing is i don't believe BC drafted him based upon his potential as a starting SG but instead as another guy nash could use so i myself wouldn't give any more credit then winning the lottery. BTW i really hope ross develops his own shot instead of being a pure spot up shooter because that would add a whole other dimension to him.

well either he keeps playing like this or gets shipped out along with his PS vita.
haha, I hate that commercial, when he gets all excited and jogs to the SUV. drives me nuts lol

Old
12-30-2012, 01:28 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rielly Good View Post
Also if you don't know who Bonner is, don't google search it, you wont like wont what comes up lmao

just playing
If Bonner wasn't on a contender he would be a good fit with LA. But hey they can take our expensive crap.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:33 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post

Ross has a lot more game than just being a pure spot up shooter, right now it may look like it but just give him time. As he gets more time on the floor and more reps he'll learn just like DeRo that he has the quickness and skill to get by guys. He clearly has shown he has the confidence in his shot. I think over the next few years DeRo and Ross are going to be lethal, Ross is explosive when he gets to the rim. Once he develops his dribble more he is going to be crazy good. This guy could pull up anywhere on the floor and hit a jay, teach him how to get to the rim and he will be a multiple facet weapon

Old
12-30-2012, 02:02 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

So what is Derozan?

The 30pt guy tha catches my eyence a week or so or is he the guy I don't notice?

Full Discolure: Haven't really cared since Bosh pulled his ****. Carter was a huge strike 1 and Bosh was brutal. Watching McGrady hurt too. (Watched his score 13pts in 30sec to FINISH a game) This team should have 1 or 3 championships and we got nothing.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:39 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
So what is Derozan?

The 30pt guy tha catches my eyence a week or so or is he the guy I don't notice?

Full Discolure: Haven't really cared since Bosh pulled his ****. Carter was a huge strike 1 and Bosh was brutal. Watching McGrady hurt too. (Watched his score 13pts in 30sec to FINISH a game) This team should have 1 or 3 championships and we got nothing.
IMO DeRozan will be a 25-30 pt guy who will be able to get into the lane continually when he has to and make plays for our perimeter guys. Losing McGrady should not be put on us because right from the get go he wanted to go on his own, whether we should've traded him for more, thats up for discussion we got a first round pick and that is that. Anyway DeRozan is going to be a star, he has the quickness and the shot to dictate the play, he's finally gotten to the level where he sees everything and can slow the play down for himself and make the right play, he may not go nuts on the scoreboard every night but he will put up good numbers. Crazy enough...I still think he can get better. His jump shot shot has improved tremendously.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:03 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
25-30 point guy is pushing it. If he does not develop a long range shot or get to the line at a more frequent rate then he'd max out at 20 a game on average.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:17 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
25-30 point guy is pushing it. If he does not develop a long range shot or get to the line at a more frequent rate then he'd max out at 20 a game on average.
I'd take a bet with you. He's already averaging close to 20 a game. He already has his mid range shot, he's only 23. He can easily average 25-30 a game if he wanted to right now. How can he max out when he's still improving? You're saying he's going to max out at 20 per game for the rest of his career. You've already lost. He gets to the line a lot more, he drives with more purpose, he knows when to pull up for a shot. DeRozan can shoot 20 in his sleep

Old
12-30-2012, 03:26 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Id be surprised if DeMar became a 25-30 pt guy. Currently only 5 players are averaging above 25 pts. Last season only 4 players did. 7 the year before that. I don't think DeMar will be consistent enough to be in that group. He'd have to really improve his long-range game.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:46 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
I'd take a bet with you. He's already averaging close to 20 a game. He already has his mid range shot, he's only 23. He can easily average 25-30 a game if he wanted to right now. How can he max out when he's still improving? You're saying he's going to max out at 20 per game for the rest of his career. You've already lost. He gets to the line a lot more, he drives with more purpose, he knows when to pull up for a shot. DeRozan can shoot 20 in his sleep
How have I already lost when he has yet to do what I've said? So he's averaging 5 free throws a game, as opposed to Harden who has 10. That is 4-5 extra points on average. I know he drives, I've seen him play. He has improved his midrange jumper, but he still has no perimeter shot, and it'd be hard for you to prove that he can suddenly improve in that facet of the game.

Age doesn't have much to do with it either. He can be in the prime of his life and average 15 a game, it depends how he's being utilized and who else is on the floor. Other guys (Ross, Val, Davis, Lowry) are threats and options on the offence too, it's not like they're going to just keep feeding the ball to DeRozan and let him shoot, he's not a Durant.

And before you bring up refs, that's also part of the problem.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:16 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
How have I already lost when he has yet to do what I've said? So he's averaging 5 free throws a game, as opposed to Harden who has 10. That is 4-5 extra points on average. I know he drives, I've seen him play. He has improved his midrange jumper, but he still has no perimeter shot, and it'd be hard for you to prove that he can suddenly improve in that facet of the game.

Age doesn't have much to do with it either. He can be in the prime of his life and average 15 a game, it depends how he's being utilized and who else is on the floor. Other guys (Ross, Val, Davis, Lowry) are threats and options on the offence too, it's not like they're going to just keep feeding the ball to DeRozan and let him shoot, he's not a Durant.

And before you bring up refs, that's also part of the problem.
Well...there you have it.

DeRozan gets some respect from the refs and he can average 25 a game. If he doesn't, he'll just get hacked till he gets fed up (a la dunk contest) and stops driving. Then he becomes an awesomely inefficient shooter who doesn't have enough range.

I sometimes get the vibe that he gets frustrated when calls don't go his way (maybe it's just me getting frustrated and yelling at the tv and trying to put that on him). There was a kid who I used to play ball with who had the same mentality. It was if calls don't go my way, if you don't pass me the ball, then I'm taking my ball and going home. Obviously I don't think it's that extreme with Demar, but at the same time...it can't be easy to just continuously get hacked and have nothing to show for it. I've gotta think that at SOME point the refs have to start giving him some respect. He's not a rook anymore, give him the calls he deserves.

I don't think he needs a 3 to put up 25pts a night.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Clark4Ever

I think it's safe to assume that this run in the absence of Bargnani is no coincidence or fluke. It's only a matter of time before he is parlayed into other assets.

The most encouraging sign as of late is that our young core has collectively had the biggest impact on the court contributing to the recent success.

If this keeps up, I just might fall in love with this team again for the first time in many years.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
I think it's safe to assume that this run in the absence of Bargnani is no coincidence or fluke. It's only a matter of time before he is parlayed into other assets.

The most encouraging sign as of late is that our young core has collectively had the biggest impact on the court contributing to the recent success.

If this keeps up, I just might fall in love with this team again for the first time in many years.
The core of this team moving forward is going to be Lowry, Ross, DD, JV, and Davis. I know very little about the NBA, but it's obvious Bargs does not fit here. What type of a return could we expect for him around the deadline?

Old
12-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Hyperglide

lol @ thinking Derozan will be a 25-30 PPG scorer. I think he will be at most a 20-25 PPG but more around 21-22. He's a good player and a fringe all-star but scoring 25-30 is elite superstar level talent at that clip. Derozan will never be that type of player. I think he's got a Corey Magette type game to him. He can score in a myriad of ways and will finally start getting those FT calls like Magette got in his prime but Magette was never an all-star or go to player. Just a good 2nd or 3rd option on a decent - good team.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:18 AM
Hyperglide

Quote:

Not to sound like a dick but you're just figuring this out now? It's pretty obvious the team quits when Bargnani is around. He's a cancer.

The problem is now, is that Bargs value has hit rock bottom and is so low that you'd probably get at most a late 1st for him. It's better to try and package him with another player with value, or an expiring, or hope he comes back and has another fabled 11 game streak and trade him before the deadline to a fringe playoff team that's desperate and get some expirings or picks for him. Otherwise, he's just amnesty fodder.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
Not to sound like a dick but you're just figuring this out now? It's pretty obvious the team quits when Bargnani is around. He's a cancer.

The problem is now, is that Bargs value has hit rock bottom and is so low that you'd probably get at most a late 1st for him. It's better to try and package him with another player with value, or an expiring, or hope he comes back and has another fabled 11 game streak and trade him before the deadline to a fringe playoff team that's desperate and get some expirings or picks for him. Otherwise, he's just amnesty fodder.
I suspected that Bargs was costing the team points for a long while because of his lackluster play, as many observers have. My point is that in light of the drastic change in the team's fortunes recently, his detrimental effect on his teammates is undeniable, even by his most ardent supporter in Bryan Colangelo. This is the first time that the rumblings of his imminent departure might actually be valid, and that is good news for Raps fans moving forward.

As for possible returns for Bargs, I'd gladly take my chances with Demarcus Cousins.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:33 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
I suspected that Bargs was costing the team points for a long while because of his lackluster play, as many observers have. My point is that in light of the drastic change in the team's fortunes recently, his detrimental effect on his teammates is undeniable, even by his most ardent supporter in Bryan Colangelo. This is the first time that the rumblings of his imminent departure might actually be valid, and that is good news for Raps fans moving forward.

As for possible returns for Bargs, I'd gladly take my chances with Demarcus Cousins.
yeah, trade one cancer for another. That'll work. Only difference is that instead of a passive, disinterested, perimeter player cancer you get a moody, immature interior player cancer.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
12-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
yeah, trade one cancer for another. That'll work. Only difference is that instead of a passive, disinterested, perimeter player cancer you get a moody, immature interior player cancer.
A change of scenery can do wonders for a disgruntled player's career. It's been proven time and time again in the NBA. There are no guarantees of course, but I would take that risk in a heartbeat for a raw talent like Cousins considering how much Bargs' stock has fallen.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Kulemon

I don't think Cousins is the answer here. The team seems to be gelling well now and Cousins could ruin it all.

But his talent is really tempting. He's just a total beast. He could be dominant for us.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:02 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
A change of scenery can do wonders for a disgruntled player's career. It's been proven time and time again in the NBA. There are no guarantees of course, but I would take that risk in a heartbeat for a raw talent like Cousins considering how much Bargs' stock has fallen.
really? Give me some examples.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
I don't think Cousins is the answer here. The team seems to be gelling well now and Cousins could ruin it all.

But his talent is really tempting. He's just a total beast. He could be dominant for us.
The best possible scenario with our team right now is we keep this play up, squeak into the 7th or 8th seed and get knocked out in the first round. That's not much to "ruin".

Old
12-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
The best possible scenario with our team right now is we keep this play up, squeak into the 7th or 8th seed and get knocked out in the first round. That's not much to "ruin".
So you think it's worth the risk?

I just think the kid has issues. I don't think a change of scenery could completely change his character.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
lol @ thinking Derozan will be a 25-30 PPG scorer. I think he will be at most a 20-25 PPG but more around 21-22. He's a good player and a fringe all-star but scoring 25-30 is elite superstar level talent at that clip. Derozan will never be that type of player. I think he's got a Corey Magette type game to him. He can score in a myriad of ways and will finally start getting those FT calls like Magette got in his prime but Magette was never an all-star or go to player. Just a good 2nd or 3rd option on a decent - good team.
Yeah demar won't ever be a 25 ppg guy, that's just being crazy optimistic. I think on a good team he's an 17-20 ppg kinda guy. On a lottery team he can maybe get up to around 23 ppg but lack of an outside shot will hinder him. 25+ ppg guys are the superstars in the league and I don't think demar is even a legit allstar.

As for cousins, he needs a veteran team with leaders like boston, but im a fan if his. If bargs could get him straight up id do it but Sacramento would say no.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Shimso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Id be surprised if DeMar became a 25-30 pt guy. Currently only 5 players are averaging above 25 pts. Last season only 4 players did. 7 the year before that. I don't think DeMar will be consistent enough to be in that group. He'd have to really improve his long-range game.
Yeah, the only 25+ guys are Lebron (25.9), Harden (26), Durant (28.4), Melo (28.5), Kobe (30.1).

I can see DD getting to 20+ (especially if the refs start to open their eyes when he gets fouled) but I wouldn't go much further than that.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Brody
$$

vCash: 560
Cousins really intrigues me, the talent is ridiculous.. Just the attitude, he reminds me of like Radulov. Both very talented players who have proved they can play in the league, just don't have the personality of team players and are not very likeable individuals. Another thing about Cousins is how young is, he's only 22 and would become a core player within this young group. I haven't seen a whole lot of Cousins (when I saw him, he was a beast) but can he play PF? I think Valanciunas is this team's C to build around.

Closed Thread