HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bruins - Oilers

Old
12-30-2012, 02:57 PM
nmbr_24

vCash: 500
I'm a Bruins fan and I would love to have Smyth for the playoffs.

I was under the impression that Smyth really wanted to go back to Edmonton and now that he is there, he wants to finish his career there.

I also don't see the need to try and trade for the Oiler's first round pick, they will want a ton for that pick.

Smyth fits into the Bruins, I'm just more than a little doubtful that he gets traded. My bet is he finishes his career as an Oiler.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I'm a Bruins fan and I would love to have Smyth for the playoffs.

I was under the impression that Smyth really wanted to go back to Edmonton and now that he is there, he wants to finish his career there.

I also don't see the need to try and trade for the Oiler's first round pick, they will want a ton for that pick.

Smyth fits into the Bruins, I'm just more than a little doubtful that he gets traded. My bet is he finishes his career as an Oiler.
So you're saying Smyth-Kelly-Peverly is much better than Caron-Kelly-Peverly? I don't see it. That's not even taking into consideration the salary difference.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Pekka Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
So you're saying Smyth-Kelly-Peverly is much better than Caron-Kelly-Peverly? I don't see it. That's not even taking into consideration the salary difference.
You do realize Smyth makes only $1 million more right? He also scored 20 goals last year, there is no way Caron would come in and put up 20 goals in even his first 2 years with the Bruins, Smyth is absolutely more valuable for a Cup run than Caron is ATM.

Pekka Rinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp10 View Post
How about Ryan Whitney for Dennis Seidenberg?
Bruins fans would hate Whitney.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka Rinne View Post
You do realize Smyth makes only $1 million more right? He also scored 20 goals last year, there is no way Caron would come in and put up 20 goals in even his first 2 years with the Bruins, Smyth is absolutely more valuable for a Cup run than Caron is ATM.
20goals on a last place team with top-6 minutes in a free wheeling offensive system. Imagine for a second Smyth on a 3rd line with Kelly and Peverly,, no PP time, less TOI, Claude Juliens system. I can't see Smyth scoring 20.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
20goals on a last place team with top-6 minutes in a free wheeling offensive system. Imagine for a second Smyth on a 3rd line with Kelly and Peverly,, no PP time, less TOI, Claude Juliens system. I can't see Smyth scoring 20.
Why wouldn't you use Smyth on the PP though? Who do you guys have that would be better at standing in front of the net while Chara is teeing it up? Or is this another situation where you'll be so kind as to remind us were a bottom feeder? Because in this conversation it's irrelevant. Our PP was 3rd in the league with an 18 yr old rookie as the focal point and a career AHLer (Potter) as the main trigger man. So maybe Smyth factored into the success of the PP just a little. Chara and the almighty Seguin had your team operating middle of the pack (15th to be exact). Maybe an extra PP goal or two has the Boston faithful cheering their team onto the second round last year instead of hurling racial slurs at Joel Ward.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Oates2Neely

Lucic. And a healthy Horton

Old
12-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
There you go making stuff up out of nowhere. Oilers weren't a "free wheeling offensive system" under Renney. And Smyth would do better with less icetime because he wouldn't burn out as quickly.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
There you go making stuff up out of nowhere. Oilers weren't a "free wheeling offensive system" under Renney. And Smyth would do better with less icetime because he wouldn't burn out as quickly.

That's a new one.. A player would "score more with less ice time"!!

I'm not knocking Smyth, I just feel his better days are behind him, and Boston is better with Caron.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:04 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
That isn't exactly what I am saying. What I am saying is that I would like to see the Bruins get Smyth but I also don't like what I think it would cost. I also think that Smyth wants to finish his career in Edmonton.

I don't think Smyth-Kelly-Peverley is much better than Caron-Kelly-Peverley, I think Smyth provides another veteran presence and I think that would be great to add for the playoffs.

I would be looking at Smyth as an insurance policy against injury if they were actually considering moving him. I would be looking at him to fill the role that Brian Rolston filled at the end of last season. I don't know for sure what the Oilers would want for Smyth, but I am pretty sure that I wouldn't want to pay it for the role I would like to see him in.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
That isn't exactly what I am saying. What I am saying is that I would like to see the Bruins get Smyth but I also don't like what I think it would cost. I also think that Smyth wants to finish his career in Edmonton.

I don't think Smyth-Kelly-Peverley is much better than Caron-Kelly-Peverley, I think Smyth provides another veteran presence and I think that would be great to add for the playoffs.

I would be looking at Smyth as an insurance policy against injury if they were actually considering moving him. I would be looking at him to fill the role that Brian Rolston filled at the end of last season. I don't know for sure what the Oilers would want for Smyth, but I am pretty sure that I wouldn't want to pay it for the role I would like to see him in.
I'm not suggesting Smyth would be bad in Boston, but considering his contract (2yrs), cost to acquire, and his salary, I wouldn't make the move. Now if he were in the final year of his deal I think he'd be a decent deadline acquisition.

I'm beginning to wonder if Chia made a mistake not resigning Pouliot. Never thought I'd say that.

*I could be wrong on Smyths contract status

Old
12-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by b in vancouver View Post
Play without a 1st round safety net forcing them to compete.
This isn't the Dark Knight Rises. This isn't a reason to trade a potential lottery pick.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Qrispy

Quote:

I'm not knocking Smyth, I just feel his better days are behind him, and Boston is better with Caron.
Nice try but I didn't say he would score more. He was scoring at a ridiculous pace at the beginning of the season with huge minutes but once the midpoint of the season came around, he was totally burnt out. With 3rd line minutes he'd be a lot more consistent and thus, indeed be better.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:21 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
For his own safety I sure hope he stays in Edmonton. The last time he was traded out was truly pathetic.
His way of expressing his love for Edmonton was questionable but it really showed how much he loves the team and the city.

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:05 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
He had over 20 his last two years in LA, a defensive team. And 20+ in Colorado the year before that. He's been a virtual lock for 20's his whole career almost, he's still a reasonable bet for it. Have you been watching the Spengler, he's been one of the best players in the last two Canada wins, and arguably the best guy on his line. He's fit in really well with Bergeron-Seguin. Smyth is still a quality vet for the middle 6. Enough skill to play top 6, and enough grit and defensive acume to play on a checking line. People seem to forget this is a guy who has represented Canada in 3 best on best tournaments, that's the hardest team in the world to crack. He's older but he's still got game.

Where did you get the idea the system in edmonton is free wheeling?

You do know Smyth got heavy checking minutes right?

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:31 AM
sBarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
It's hard to really know actually. He's extremely good on the PK and one of our few scrappers. If he plays like last year, probably a 3rd or a B prospect. If he can progress like we're hoping it'll take a lot more
I was actually thinking around Maxime Sauve and a 4th rounder for Peckham, but then I figured Oilers fans would say you didn't want another forward prospect. So yeah, a 3rd sounds fair. And his tough game and PK skills would look nice as the Boston #6 for Dougie insurance and would look even better as a depth #7 for injuries and a play off run.

sBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:48 AM
oilinblood

I think if Edmonton and Bruins make a trade the OIlers would be interested in Boychuk after his NMC is somewhat lifted on Jan 15th or this summer.

Also i would understand that the Bs would likely need to land Yandle or another Dman before parting with Boychuk?

The Oilers could use another top 4 RHD who can handle PK minutes and play rugged. Boychuk has been a target of mine for a long time. With Petry and Justin Schultz it makes for a nice Right side. I might even be willing to send Petry in the deal ... as the top 4 have to be well balanced IMHO. If i got Boychuk... Petrys importance, when combined with J Schultz progression, really diminishes. Boychuk to me is everything i dont want Justin Schultz to have to be. Thats why he is the guy who makes the most sense to acquire IMHO.

If the Oilers could get Boychuk im pretty sure we can figure something out. I am not a big fan of Smyth but I would say he is a huge piece of leadership when we make it to the playoffs. He also signed for a reasonable amount, knowing he wont be a top 6 guy anymore.

Also i imagine the Oilers value for Petry is a bit higher than his cap hit. They gave up the RH premium in shipping Gilbert out for LHD N Schultz specifically because Petrys game has paralleled Gilberts and he shows more physicality and defensive awareness than Tom did. So Petry may not be as well known as other d-men but he is valuable to the oilers and western conference teams that see him.

Last edited by oilinblood: 12-31-2012 at 06:58 AM.
oilinblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

I disagree with a lot of Bruins fans here, I think Claude would adore Smyth. A veteran 3rd liner who still has lots of game left. Leadership is something you can't teach. I think a lot of us would love him too. He's playing with Seguin and Bergeron in the Spengler Cup, too. He wouldn't be a complete shot in the dark.

And also, oilinblood, we can't give up a defenseman without getting a better one back. So, like you said, unless we somehow get someone like Yandle, can't be done. Especially with Boychuk eating up 20-25 minutes a game, he's very important to us.

I do like Whitney, but for the price it would take to get him, I probably wouldn't anymore.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
I disagree with a lot of Bruins fans here, I think Claude would adore Smyth. A veteran 3rd liner who still has lots of game left. Leadership is something you can't teach. I think a lot of us would love him too. He's playing with Seguin and Bergeron in the Spengler Cup, too. He wouldn't be a complete shot in the dark.

And also, oilinblood, we can't give up a defenseman without getting a better one back. So, like you said, unless we somehow get someone like Yandle, can't be done. Especially with Boychuk eating up 20-25 minutes a game, he's very important to us.

I do like Whitney, but for the price it would take to get him, I probably wouldn't anymore.
he'll be UFA after this year... make him the best offer and hes yours.. I doubt EDM will be in a position to resign both Smid and Whitney if the cap drops as expected.. They'll let Whitney go.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:21 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
he'll be UFA after this year... make him the best offer and hes yours.. I doubt EDM will be in a position to resign both Smid and Whitney if the cap drops as expected.. They'll let Whitney go.
Depending on what happens with the cap and the new CBA, I am not sure Boston will be able to add any players who are making or will make significantly more than league minimum.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:35 AM
rockinghockey

Trading Smyth and a 1st for a player that wont be as good as Gagner no thank you. Smyth is getting old but he still can contribute and lead, look at the Spengler Cup for an example of that. Smyth wants to play in EDM and he has a 2 yr contract and he wont be moving this year at all.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:37 AM
rockinghockey

I am going to guess that the cap will be at 65mil next season, will BOS be able to afford everyone.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post

I didn't suggest Julien wouldn't like Smyth. I said the cost to acquire him plus his salary isn't worth it IMO. He isn't that much of an upgrade over Caron at this stage if his career.

As far as Leadership is concerned, this Bruins team is chock full if leaders: Chara Bergeron Krejci Kelly Peverly Seidenberg Ference etc..

I'm not suggesting I'd be opposed to having him on the roster, I'm just saying IMO its best to leave the 3rd line LW spot open for competition. Smyth has 2yrs left on his deal, Horton and Rask will need a raise.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:03 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:

It was obvious to everyone who followed the Oil last year that Smyth was played way too hard in the first half of the year. He burnt himself out. Hence going from his 30 goal pace to scoring 20. I think he absolutely would have had a more consistent season if given less time overall, like he would get on Boston.

And to respond to Lucic and Horton being just as good in front of the net as Smyth, they are both more valuable players all around, and that's not arguable, but Smyth in front of the net on the powerplay is magic. Not only is he almost immovable, his stick work is unparalleled, and neither Lucic or Horton can come close there.

I'm not advocating this trade, I don't think it makes sense for either team really, but I don't see how Smyth can't fit on the Bruins, like you're claiming.

Oilers gave him a NTC I'm pretty sure anyway.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
It was obvious to everyone who followed the Oil last year that Smyth was played way too hard in the first half of the year. He burnt himself out. Hence going from his 30 goal pace to scoring 20. I think he absolutely would have had a more consistent season if given less time overall, like he would get on Boston.

And to respond to Lucic and Horton being just as good in front of the net as Smyth, they are both more valuable players all around, and that's not arguable, but Smyth in front of the net on the powerplay is magic. Not only is he almost immovable, his stick work is unparalleled, and neither Lucic or Horton can come close there.

I'm not advocating this trade, I don't think it makes sense for either team really, but I don't see how Smyth can't fit on the Bruins, like you're claiming.

Oilers gave him a NTC I'm pretty sure anyway.
I didn't say he doesn't fit.

To acquire Smyth Would require Boston to give up an asset. He's paid more than Caron so it'd cost the Bruins more in salary. I dont think Smyth is that much more of an upgrade over Caron at this stage of his career. Not enough considering the above points. The 2013-14 season I believe one or more of Knight Spooner Koko will be ready for Boston, what does Chia do with Smyth then? Especially with the cap expected to drop to $60m.