HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Sivek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
According to theahl.com Bennett last played on the 15th. So 2 weeks.
Yep that's right. I was thinking of the date when he crashed into the boards on a shootout attempt. Don't know if that has anything to due with his current injury situation.

Nick D'Agostino had 3 assists in a 6-4 loss. Currently at 9pts (2-7) through 13 games. Yet another guy for next year's crowded WBS d-man situation.

Last edited by Sivek: 12-29-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old
12-30-2012, 04:18 AM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Yep that's right. I was thinking of the date when he crashed into the boards on a shootout attempt. Don't know if that has anything to due with his current injury situation.

Nick D'Agostino had 3 assists in a 6-4 loss. Currently at 9pts (2-7) through 13 games. Yet another guy for next year's crowded WBS d-man situation.
If he signs here. I said it before that i i were him, i woul rather look at the option not to sign withthe pens and then be free to sign with a team that doesnt have 10 or so before me on the depth chart.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:26 AM
wej20

Kenny Agostino scored 2 goals and assisted on 3 other in a 10-2 victory over Russian Red Stars in an exhibition game. Ben Hanowksi scored a PP goal in a 2-1 victory over Rensellaer.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:35 PM
redsono93

Hey guys Happy Holidays!!!! I have seen a few later in the 1st round picks over the last few years become stars. My point is I know some wanted to trade our 1st round picks for a guy like Nash or Ryan. But what if we could just draft the next Nash or Ryan instead. A few examples of why keeping 1st rounders is so important. I do feel we should look at the option to trade or two this coming draft for another 1st round pick. Forward heavy this draft is could have an Eberle type of guy later round this 2013 draft. Here are a few examples that surprised me.

Giroux drafted 22nd

Max Pacioretty drafted 22nd
David Perron drafted 26th

2008 we didnt have a 1st round pick could have had
E. Karlsson drafted 20th
Eberle drafted 22nd
John Carlson drafted 27th
Jacob Markstrom drafted 31st

Ryan O'Reilly drafted 33rd

Kuznetsov drafted 26th

I feel our scouting staff the last two years have done a better job on drafting forwards. We are the best D-man drafting team. Who in your opinion drafts the best forwards and goalies? I ask maybe in this draft we need to follow the model of those teams since we are so stocked up on D-man. Dont get me wrong about 25 NHL teams would die for a stock pile of d-man. I just want us to balance it out with drafting heavy on forwards and goalies. I wish we signed undrafted Andrea Markov our goalie prospects would look great now. Any later round players I am missing that became stars? It's not always the top 5 picks that make a huge impact its the later ones that do. Thanks as always!!!

Old
12-30-2012, 04:25 PM
deakka

We have the normal picks 2013 draft, right? None traded away and no extras so far?

Old
12-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Stecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
We have the normal picks 2013 draft, right? None traded away and no extras so far?
Yeah, got our full compliment for now.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Jacob

3 goals, 3 assists for Zlobin today.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Sivek

Zlobin's 13th in the league in scoring but has played about 5-6 games less than pretty much everyone ahead of him except for Grigorenko and MacKinnon. He's got a pretty strong chance at finishing in the top 5 in scoring this season. Following the tradition of taking a teammate of a guy drafted from the previous year, maybe the Pens end up with Mantha.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:29 PM
deakka

Quote:
3 goals, 3 assists for Zlobin today.
Was waiting to post that, were hoping for an empty net goal tho
9 points in 2 games since geting cut from the WJC camp. Pretty decent

Old
12-30-2012, 05:32 PM
deakka

YEah, im starting to lean towards Mantha as well. Hes rising fast tho, so maybe he will be ranked too high for the pens to grab him.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:33 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Zlobin's 13th in the league in scoring but has played about 5-6 games less than pretty much everyone ahead of him except for Grigorenko and MacKinnon. He's got a pretty strong chance at finishing in the top 5 in scoring this season. Following the tradition of taking a teammate of a guy drafted from the previous year, maybe the Pens end up with Mantha.
If he's related to Moe Mantha we'd almost have to draft him.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:35 PM
wej20

What's the deal with Mantha? kid definitely has pro size.

edit:after a little bit of googling it turns out his Great Uncle is Pittsburgh legend Jean Pronovost (His Grandfather Andre Pronovost was a 4 time Cup winner with the Habs and also played a season and a bit with the Pittsburgh Hornets).

Last edited by wej20: 12-30-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old
12-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Sivek

Quote:
If he's related to Moe Mantha we'd almost have to draft him.
And later include him in a trade for Erik Karlsson. The pieces are all coming together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I remember people being most down on him because he has a really late birth-date for his draft year. From everything I've read about him, he's got size, a good shot and can skate but could definitely stand to use his size more aggressively plus just being more consistent overall.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:43 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Great to hear about Zlobin.

I haven't gotten to watch this guy play outside of clips. Has anyone seen him enough to shed a little bit of light? He seems to practically be an afterthought in this last draft, which makes some sense due to where he was drafted. There just isn't much useful information out there on him.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Was waiting to post that, were hoping for an empty net goal tho
9 points in 2 games since geting cut from the WJC camp. Pretty decent
Nice little outburst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Great to hear about Zlobin.

I haven't gotten to watch this guy play outside of clips. Has anyone seen him enough to shed a little bit of light? He seems to practically be an afterthought in this last draft, which makes some sense due to where he was drafted. There just isn't much useful information out there on him.
Saw him play a little in the Super Series. Had some skill and a good shot, but wasn't a great skater or playmaker. Seemed like a complementary guy who didn't get a lot of touches.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:03 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Ah, thank you. That sounds about like what I expected.

Obviously an extreme longshot but it would be kind of funny if the team found it's complimentary top six winger solution in the last round of this past draft after all of our (myself very included) griping about infusing some legitimate talent at forward at the draft by spending a high pick or two on one.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:06 PM
wej20

Quote:
And later include him in a trade for Erik Karlsson. The pieces are all coming together.

I remember people being most down on him because he has a really late birth-date for his draft year. From everything I've read about him, he's got size, a good shot and can skate but could definitely stand to use his size more aggressively plus just being more consistent overall.
sounds intriguing, His September 16th so he's one of the oldest in this draft (maybe even the oldest) but I don't think that should count too much against him.

Found a scouting report from mckeen's hockey

Quote:
talented shooter brings an impressive package of size, speed and skill .. tall, smooth, balanced skater with very good top speed .. and gets there rapidly thanks to a deceptive acceleration burst – masked a bit due to efficient mechanics .. solid crossover form – body retains shape in turns, cuts, pivots .. able to get outside defenders propelled by a swift change of pace .. bit of a ‘lurk in the weeds’ type – prowling on the edges – with a knack of popping up in a prime shooting area .. boasts a deceptively fast release on his wristshots and snappers, accentuated by a large wingspan .. retains his strength and skill at full stretch .. packs a terrific release – gets real wang on his wrister – all arms, wrists and technique .. real fluid mechanics .. setup footwork for his shot is subtle – uses quick, short strides to get body prepared quicker .. adept firing off his inside foot a la Mark Messier
Val-d'Or-sniper-Anthony-Mantha-scoring-respect/

Comparison to James Neal has been mentioned on the prospect board, plays RW but is a leftie.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Ah, thank you. That sounds about like what I expected.

Obviously an extreme longshot but it would be kind of funny if the team found it's complimentary top six winger solution in the last round of this past draft after all of our (myself very included) griping about infusing some legitimate talent at forward at the draft by spending a high pick or two on one.
Haha, it'd sure shut me up.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:

edit:after a little bit of googling it turns out his Great Uncle is Pittsburgh legend Jean Pronovost (His Grandfather Andre Pronovost was a 4 time Cup winner with the Habs and also played a season and a bit with the Pittsburgh Hornets).
He's very good but I think he'll go top 12. He has that big body with hands thing going for him like a James Neal or Rick Nash.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:

Do you mean Marcel Pronovost? I don't think I've ever heard of Andre Pronovost, but I know Marcel Pronovost was a very prominent Hab and the older brother of Jean.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Agostino got another couple points today. 17 points in 13 games...really stepping up his production this year. Nice to see.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:10 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Do you mean Marcel Pronovost? I don't think I've ever heard of Andre Pronovost, but I know Marcel Pronovost was a very prominent Hab and the older brother of Jean.
according to Elite Prospects there were 4 Pronovost brothers; Marcel's the oldest (Defenseman, HOF dman who spent most of his career with the Wings), Claude (Minor league goalie who played 3 NHL games), Andre (LW with the Habs, Bruins and Wings) and then Jean. According to wikipedia and Legends of Hockey, it seems like Andre isn't actually their brother, though they were all born in Shawinigan.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
according to Elite Prospects there were 4 Pronovost brothers; Marcel's the oldest (Defenseman, HOF dman who spent most of his career with the Wings), Claude (Minor league goalie who played 3 NHL games), Andre (LW with the Habs, Bruins and Wings) and then Jean. According to wikipedia and Legends of Hockey, it seems like Andre isn't actually their brother, though they were all born in Shawinigan.
Hmmm. I stand corrected. Good call. I actually misremembered (TM Clemens, Roger). I was thinking of Claude Provost, who won a lot of Cups with the Habs. Marcel was a great player but never a Hab. And I never knew Andre Pronovost was a Hab.

Thanks.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:25 PM
wej20

I guess Pronovost is quite a common name in Quebec? I assumed that they were all brothers being from the same place and I guess Elite prospects fell into the same trap.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:07 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Agostino got another couple points today. 17 points in 13 games...really stepping up his production this year. Nice to see.
He was just over a point/game last season and so far he is at a 27% improvement in both goal and points output. Would be extremely promising to see him keep it up. Doubt he would ever consider leaving early since he is at Yale, so the Pens could be looking at a very polished winger coming into WBS in 2014. Maybe even straight to the NHL? He could have a 25/50 season before that.

Closed Thread