HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NY Islanders - Ottawa

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

vCash: 500
What I don't understand is why you're giving up so many good young pieces for Tavares when you already have Spezza. I know Tavares is really young and such and will be there long after Spezza, and everyone likes center depth, but it just seems like center overkill considering what you're giving up.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:02 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Even if Karlsson was coming back I would say no. The Islanders cannot trade John Tavares.

EDIT: If anyone were to respond, just wanted to say that I love Karlsson and he doesn't deserve most of the criticism he gets. I think he's great.

Last edited by SLAPSHOT723: 12-30-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old
12-30-2012, 04:07 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Both of these guys have a ton of value and won't be traded anytime soon.

Are we really gonna have a pissing contest over this?

Old
12-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
OK.

let's say the goalie is Lehner.

Lehner is beast. Future top 5/10 goalie in the world potential. And I'd say sure-fire #1 goalie.

Cowen is a future top pair D-man. Beast as well.

Michalek is a 35 goal winger. Pretty good.

Ziabnejad is a future top six power forward. Probably not sure-fire, but he's a sure-fire NHLer.

1st rounder in a very very deep 2013 draft, will be a good player.

for

a 90+ point centre.

I dunno, seems like a lot of good pieces. Not saying you should do it at all, just proposing it.
What are you going on about?? How is Tavares a 90+ player?? He barely hit 80 as the go to guy for everything.

I dont care how many goals he scored as a junior, he's over-rated on these boards.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post

C'mon it's Karlsson. Piss seems to follow that poor kid everywhere.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:19 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
There's not a single player in the world I would trade Karlsson for.

Crosby has health concerns.
Malkin is closing in on UFA.
Stamkos, Tavares, Giroux, etc. aren't that much better offensively to justify trading Karlsson for them.

So I would love to hear who are these 6 players.
Wha..? Stamkos isn't substantially better than Karlsson offensively? Stamkos, who's had three straight 40+ goal and 90+ point seasons? Stamkos, who's won two Rocket Richard Trophies before his 23rd birthday? Stamkos, the third youngest player to score 50 goals in a season in NHL history? That Stamkos?

Look, Karlsson's an elite defenseman, and there's nothing to say he won't repeat this past season's production, but as of yet, he hasn't. And that's not worth the risk of trading any of those players not named Tavares, who've been models of consistency, for Karlsson. Especially not Stamkos. He and Giroux both scored ~20% more points than Karlsson last year. That's a significant difference.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:34 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post

I bet I can piss farther than you.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
In sports, trades are made because both teams believe it will benefit them in some way. So, explain to me how this benefits the Islanders?
It doesn't benefit the Islanders.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post

C'mon it's Karlsson. Piss seems to follow that poor kid everywhere.
We just can't seem to train him.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post
What are you going on about?? How is Tavares a 90+ player?? He barely hit 80 as the go to guy for everything.

I dont care how many goals he scored as a junior, he's over-rated on these boards.
This.

Spezza's better.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Benedict Kovalchuk
Kovalchuk: A spy?

Isles really can't trade Tavares, he is just far too valuable. If it weren't for Tavares, I'm certain the Isles would be moving a lot further than Brooklyn. There really isn't anything that would entice the Islanders short of the Sens completely gutting their team.

In terms of actual value, this trade is pretty bad for an Isles perspective. They give up the face of their franchise on the cusp of his prime and breaking out into super-stardom, for a slight upgrade on Moulson in Michalek, Cowen who looks less appealing in light of the huge logjam of Islanders D prospects, a blue chip prospect who would be among many Isles bluechip prospects, and 1st rounder that is not really needed at this point of the rebuild. Honestly, only Karlsson + something real unsavory would keep Garth Snow from hanging up.

Also while Karlsson had a beastly season last year, I'm not sure if it puts him above a player like Giroux and I am CERTAIN it does not make him more valuable than Stamkos.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
This.

Spezza's better.
Spezza was 4th in scoring last year...I feel like this has been ignored by most NHL fans. Ive come to expect this though.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:10 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post

I'm pretty sure it's a safe bet to assume Tavares will be a consistent 90+ point player. Considering the way his point totals have been trending, as well as the fact that the Islanders have a ton of young talent coming up through the pipeline. I'd be pretty surprised if JT doesn't become a 100 point player, much less 90.

Tavares is far from overrated, and the Islanders will never trade him. But you can take Spezza over him, I'll be glad to keep him where he is.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:11 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Totally disagree.

Karlsson just put up 78 points as a defenseman, 25 points higher than 2nd place, at age 21.

His value is in the Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos/Lundqvist stratosphere, an area Tavares hasn't reached.
Lol I love how you quietly tried to sneak Lundqvist into that category of elite players. FUNNY.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
Lol I love how you quietly tried to sneak Lundqvist into that category of elite players. FUNNY.
Yeah bro, Lundqvist isn't elite.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:22 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
Also while Karlsson had a beastly season last year, I'm not sure if it puts him above a player like Giroux and I am CERTAIN it does not make him more valuable than Stamkos.
In general High scoring forwards have more value then top defensemen(unless you can find a great 2 way guy who is at the level of Lidstrom).

Old
12-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
There is not a single player on this Earth I'd trade Lundqvist for one for one. Not a single one.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

Quote:

Lundqvist has been the best and most consistent goalie since the last lockout.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

Tavares and Karlsson are both franchise players. They essentially have the same value.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Chacal667

why Tavares ? with a package like this you should go for Malkin

Old
12-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Chacal667

Quote:
There's absolutely no way on this blessed blue Earth that Tavares costs more than Karlsson.
Tavares is probably in the top 10 of the best players in the nhl.

Old
12-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal667 View Post
Tavares is probably in the top 10 of the best players in the nhl.
And what, Karlsson isn't???

Old
12-30-2012, 05:55 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
There's absolutely no way on this blessed blue Earth that Tavares costs more than Karlsson.
Thank you. Speaking as someone that LOVES Tavares, Karlsson scored almost as many points as JT (as a DEFENCEMAN), was not a liability defensively (despite what fans of other teams that watch him maybe a couple of times a year would have you beleive), and logs close to 30 minutes a game. Not to mention being a 2-time all-star (one-time starter), and the defending Norris winner at the ripe old age of 21. Not to mention blinding speed and a first pass that IS our offense, and opponents still can't stop him, even though he is almost their sole focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Tavares means EVERYTHING to the Islanders, which is why it would take a tad more to get him IMO. Both players values are a little higher than nit gonna happen though.
Please see above. Though I agree that neither JT or EK is going anywhere anytime soon.

Quote:
You guys at least still have Spezza.
And without Karlsson, who, pray tell, will transition the offense to get the puck up ice to him?

Quote:
Does it really matter, both are in the never gonna happen category.
Agreed.

Quote:
Totally disagree.

Karlsson just put up 78 points as a defenseman, 25 points higher than 2nd place, at age 21.

His value is in the Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos/Lundqvist stratosphere, an area Tavares hasn't reached.
If you were female, I'd marry you. LOL Its good to see (some) non-Sens fans finally give Erik the recognition he deserves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Wha..? Stamkos isn't substantially better than Karlsson offensively? Stamkos, who's had three straight 40+ goal and 90+ point seasons? Stamkos, who's won two Rocket Richard Trophies before his 23rd birthday? Stamkos, the third youngest player to score 50 goals in a season in NHL history? That Stamkos?

Look, Karlsson's an elite defenseman, and there's nothing to say he won't repeat this past season's production, but as of yet, he hasn't. And that's not worth the risk of trading any of those players not named Tavares, who've been models of consistency, for Karlsson. Especially not Stamkos. He and Giroux both scored ~20% more points than Karlsson last year. That's a significant difference.
Yeah, as forwards. Karlsson is a defenceman, and played on a team expected to finish dead last in the East last year, not loaded teams expected to contend. That's a significant difference.

Old
Chacal667

Quote:
Karlsson is great offensively but, he is very ordinary defensively, as a defenseman I think that's a big void.

Mike Green already had 2 season of 70 pts, do you value him better than Tavares ?

Old
boredmale

Quote:
I think the big question for Karlson can he kept that level of consistency in terms of his offensive game or not or will he turn out more like Mike Green who had 2 great offensive seasons on a team that was stacked offensively but then sort of come down to reality when the team stopped scoring.

Closed Thread