HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Forsberg - Saskatoon Blades, WHL (2013 undrafted)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-30-2012, 06:45 PM
  #226
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,184
vCash: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
You are missing the point. Brent Sutter has never been in the PG locker room.
He has had Inglis on his team.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:50 PM
  #227
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,184
vCash: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiedunnwrotethis View Post
Really? I presume then that the only valid reason a WHL team has to trade player is if it's for health/personal safety reasons. So if said player is under-performing or management wants to build for the future, well, trading him wouldn't be in the spirit of "sucking it up and sticking it out", would it? Anything else would seem to imply a double standard.
Teams/organizations arent people. Their goals are not always congruent. That is ok. Fact of the matter is Forsberg may or may not hurt his draft pedigree by pulling something like this in his draft year.

Quite frankly, it looks like there could be an attitude problem.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:56 PM
  #228
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,639
vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
sure slavery is a strong word but the situation is closer to that in principle than a free market so skip the personal comments.

Like I asked before how would you feel if you had been drafted and sent to anywhere in your profession at the age of 15?
If you're in hockey and you don't like the idea of being drafted, go do something the **** else. Slaves had no rights and were indentured labour regardless of what they might want. Pro athletes (or aspiring pro athletes) happen to choose a career path that involves a limiting of your choice of employer. I have, in my hand, the world's tiniest violin, and it's currently dedicated 100% to hockey players.

Comparing lack of choice in employer to slavery is absolutely ridiculous; it's like comparing elementary school to prison because you have to do what you're told and there's no selection in the cafeteria.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:00 PM
  #229
Sticks and Pucks
Registered User
 
Sticks and Pucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He has had Inglis on his team.
You are still missing my point. This is not about Inglis. This is about Forsberg and the fact that he is in a poor environment out in PG. Inglis specifically called out PG's environment when there were three other teams that he could have called out but chose not to. Inglis or not, that's a sign that something is wrong in PG compared to other junior clubs. Add the fact PG's poor track record with prospects and it isn't hard to see that PG is probably not a good place for a player to develop. Brent Sutter knows next to nothing about PG. Get my point?

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:09 PM
  #230
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,184
vCash: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
You are still missing my point. This is not about Inglis. This is about Forsberg and the fact that he is in a poor environment out in PG. Inglis specifically called out PG's environment when there were three other teams that he could have called out but chose not to. Inglis or not, that's a sign that something is wrong in PG compared to other junior clubs. Add the fact PG's poor track record with prospects and it isn't hard to see that PG is probably not a good place for a player to develop. Brent Sutter knows next to nothing about PG. Get my point?
Charles Inglis isnt worth listening to.

Get my point?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:27 PM
  #231
dickiedunnwrotethis
Registered User
 
dickiedunnwrotethis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
Yes. He is very smart on the ice with really good offensive tools. Skating isn't pretty. Bit weak defensively. A worse skating version on Michael St. Croix. Perimeter players with tons of skill, but there games might not translate at the next level.

Forsberg could be a really good WHL player if put in the right situation. I could see him going to PA.
Good post. I watched Forsberg play bantam and midget and you pretty much summed his play and my concerns at the time for his development in the dub. Nevertheless, with the right team, i can see him putting up monster points later in his career.

As for the trade demand, i'm not sure why everyone seems to have their collective panties in a knot. The dub is a business (one, i might add, that makes a lot of money off of 16 and 17 year old kids). For the most part, franchises are owned and run by multi-millionaire owners with a lot of life experience. They take the risk when they decide to draft a player. A drafted player takes a risk when he agrees to sign with that team. A team can trade a player for any reason at all. Any reason. And a player can...suck it up and stick it out? Because he's supposed to be a martyr to a flawed economic system? Perhaps instead of pointing fingers at a 17 year old kid one might instead look to the brilliance of locating a franchise in the middle of nowhere and then hiring a dismal management team. Just a thought.

dickiedunnwrotethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:44 PM
  #232
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
If you're in hockey and you don't like the idea of being drafted, go do something the **** else. Slaves had no rights and were indentured labour regardless of what they might want. Pro athletes (or aspiring pro athletes) happen to choose a career path that involves a limiting of your choice of employer. I have, in my hand, the world's tiniest violin, and it's currently dedicated 100% to hockey players.

Comparing lack of choice in employer to slavery is absolutely ridiculous; it's like comparing elementary school to prison because you have to do what you're told and there's no selection in the cafeteria.

Okay let's skip my over exaggeration with slavery, you still haven't answered the question.

And the WHL doesn't NEED the draft, they choose to have it.

NCAA teams offer scholarships (job opening)s and interviews take place where both college and player decide to go the same way or not.

It's a different way more fair to both parties, the draft is obviously tilted in favor of one side only right now.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:01 PM
  #233
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Charles Inglis isnt worth listening to.

Get my point?

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:07 PM
  #234
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,124
vCash: 50
Meh.

His fault for wanting to move and hurting himself in the standings, but I also understand that some players just don't fit a organization. He will probably be replaced with a player with more heart who would like the organization and city to win than this guy who, let's say....isn't the hardest worker on the ice.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:28 PM
  #235
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,620
vCash: 500
the situation seems kind of ugly:

Forsberg leaves Cats in tough spot

http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/a...-in-tough-spot

Quote:
"I was surprised," said Clark. "I worked with him as far as trying to get his effort and some things a little bit better. He was obviously frustrated with the fact that he wasn't ranked with [NHL] central scouting and he's chosen to maybe blame us for the fact that he's not there."

When the NHL central scouting preliminary rankings came out in November, Forsberg's name was nowhere to found among the top North American skaters.

"I don't know what the situation is, but the family is very adamant that he would be better off somewhere else, which is fine," added Clark. "We don't want guys here that don't want to be here. It's their decision and we'll move forward."

It's the second time in less than six months a member of the Forsberg clan has asked for a trade out of Prince George. During the summer, the Cougars traded 19-year-old Jesse Forsberg to the Seattle Thunderbirds in exchange for fellow 19-year-old Colin Jacobs.

"I think the family has an opinion of the organization and that's their opinion," said Clark. "I've been in Calgary, Brandon and Kamloops and the players are treated here just the same as they were in all those organizations. [The Forsbergs] assume that it's different, whatever, I'm not going to comment on what they think or feel."

Clark said he hasn't spoken with Forsberg, who celebrated his 18th birthday today, though he did text him and didn't receive a response. Not surprising, considering the Cougars' organization was informed their top recruit from the 1995 class wouldn't be returning through an exchange of emails between his father Blaine Forsberg and Cougars general manager Dallas Thompson during the holidays.

"They just indicated that he wasn't coming back and they wanted a trade," said Thompson, adding an emphatic "No" about the rumour the Waldheim, Sask., product would be playing for the Humboldt Broncos of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League.

In 87 games with the Cougars, Forsberg accumulated 24 goals, 59 points and was a minus 26 but injuries, notably a hip flexor last season that limited him to 51 games, slowed his development.

Thompson said he's had conversations with almost every WHL club about a trade but added he won't move the disgruntled forward before the Jan. 10 trade deadline if the price isn't right.

"It's very difficult with him not being here," said Thompson, adding his request Forsberg return until a deal could be worked out was ignored. "I'm just working with what I have here. We've been put in a very difficult situation and now we're going through the process.

"We will make a deal if it's a good deal for the Prince George Cougars," he added. "It's the only way that a deal is going to get done and right now it's proving very difficult."

Thompson said the majority of 1995-born players have no-trade clauses in their agreements with WHL clubs and acquiring a talented 1994-born player is proving difficult

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:43 PM
  #236
trellaine201
Registered User
 
trellaine201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Left coast
Posts: 6,078
vCash: 500
He tweeted a few weeks ago there was nothing to do in PG except fb, twitter and tumblr lol, what else is there to do he said.

I cant really see too many teams interested. There not going to give up much. Poor PG. they havent been good for many years.

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:24 PM
  #237
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,600
vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
He tweeted a few weeks ago there was nothing to do in PG except fb, twitter and tumblr lol, what else is there to do he said.

I cant really see too many teams interested.
There not going to give up much. Poor PG. they havent been good for many years.
Disagree. Would imagine that over half of the league's opposing GM's have atleast given the Cougars a call about his services.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:51 PM
  #238
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser
 
Sartorial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
Hey RS,

Do you see Forsberg going to the Blades as a realistic option? His hometown is just outside of Saskatoon, and the Blades are likely interested in loading up for the Memorial Cup.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:38 PM
  #239
Parise9Crosby87
Registered User
 
Parise9Crosby87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: boca raton florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,519
vCash: 500
i figured he would want to be traded

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:22 PM
  #240
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,134
vCash: 500
Well what is he worth in a trade?

Former 1st overall Bantam pick who has struggled.

I guess the pro's of adding him is the hope he realizes some of the potential he had and him not even being 18 yet he could (and likely should) be around for 2 more WHL seasons after this one.

It's an investment.

When you see what Kamloops gave up for Edmundson earlier as a rental, this could really help Prince George out for the future.

Harkins and Morrison are excellent players to build around, if they can get another 1996 born player and some picks it'll probably be in the best interest of all involved.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:25 PM
  #241
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,124
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Disagree. Would imagine that over half of the league's opposing GM's have atleast given the Cougars a call about his services.
Disagree, if I was a GM I would avoid this guy with a thousand foot pole. Everything he has done screams anti-character to me.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:19 AM
  #242
shello
@WShello9
 
shello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ile-Perrot, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Disagree, if I was a GM I would avoid this guy with a thousand foot pole. Everything he has done screams anti-character to me.
I disagree. You have to take into consideration he's just a kid and he's somewhere he doesn't want to be, where its not a good environment.

This isn't the NHL, it's juniors, not the same thing when they ask for trades. Matt Puempul, Austin Watson, Jordan Maletta, Alaine Quinne, Ryan Spooner, Slater Koekoek, etc have all asked for trades. Does it mean they have a bad character? No. They're just young kids who are in a negative environment for themselves where they don't think they can succeed with their career, or there's some off ice issues that not everyone is fully aware of (that's why I named a few Petes).

Just think of it this way, you have a job where it's a awful environment, in a remote area, away from your family for the first time in your life, and you're not treated fair or its hurting your potential instead of growing it. Now wouldn't you want to leave and go to the best place possible that you'll be accepted with open arms, and get a chance to expand your full potential?

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:30 PM
  #243
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Disagree, if I was a GM I would avoid this guy with a thousand foot pole. Everything he has done screams anti-character to me.
You've never met him, you've never met his family. Everything you "know" is purely anecdotal, he doesn't cause problems off the ice or in the dressing room from all accounts. He's just frustrated with the culture and environment in Prince George and I can't really blame him. He's a 17 year old kid, maybe take that into consideration before attacking his character and him as a person.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:33 PM
  #244
trellaine201
Registered User
 
trellaine201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Left coast
Posts: 6,078
vCash: 500
His brother asked for and was traded last year lol from PG. seems his dad is running the show.

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:33 PM
  #245
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
I disagree. You have to take into consideration he's just a kid and he's somewhere he doesn't want to be, where its not a good environment.

This isn't the NHL, it's juniors, not the same thing when they ask for trades. Matt Puempul, Austin Watson, Jordan Maletta, Alaine Quinne, Ryan Spooner, Slater Koekoek, etc have all asked for trades. Does it mean they have a bad character? No. They're just young kids who are in a negative environment for themselves where they don't think they can succeed with their career, or there's some off ice issues that not everyone is fully aware of (that's why I named a few Petes).

Just think of it this way, you have a job where it's a awful environment, in a remote area, away from your family for the first time in your life, and you're not treated fair or its hurting your potential instead of growing it. Now wouldn't you want to leave and go to the best place possible that you'll be accepted with open arms, and get a chance to expand your full potential?
Agree with this totally. These are KIDS who are growing, not completely mature yet, not pieces of meat on a market that you can just tell to go anywhere and shut up and put up with any garbage that they have to encounter. Would like to see how a lot of posters here would react living more than 1,000 km away from home at 16 and 17 leaving all your friends and family behind. People need to figure it out. These players are people and young teenagers, and if you are gonna condemn a guy just because he wanted to get out of a rotten situation, I guess that would be your loss if you were running a draft or a WHL team.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:35 PM
  #246
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Agree with this totally. These are KIDS who are growing, not completely mature yet, not pieces of meat on a market that you can just tell to go anywhere and shut up and put up with any garbage that they have to encounter. Would like to see how a lot of posters here would react living more than 1,000 km away from home at 16 and 17 leaving all your friends and family behind. People need to figure it out. These players are people and young teenagers, and if you are gonna condemn a guy just because he wanted to get out of a rotten situation, I guess that would be your loss if you were running a draft or a WHL team.
I posed this question in the thread earlier and the response back was that the WHL and team needs are essential, when it's really not true and largely that question gets ignored.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:29 PM
  #247
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,124
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
You've never met him, you've never met his family. Everything you "know" is purely anecdotal, he doesn't cause problems off the ice or in the dressing room from all accounts. He's just frustrated with the culture and environment in Prince George and I can't really blame him. He's a 17 year old kid, maybe take that into consideration before attacking his character and him as a person.
Because I stated that I would stay away from him, is attacking him? All I questioned is his character and it seems like he doesn't have a lot of it. True I don't know him as a person, but I've been on and around junior teams and know what happens in situations like this. I don't care what age they are, if you're potentially a prospect with great talent, you act professional. I do give him some respect for not going out in the public and demanding a trade.

I bet you that if Landeskog was in that situation, he wouldn't demand a trade. He would overachieve and try to make the team better. Also Spott wanted him and traded for his rights, so don't give me, "well Landeskog got traded to Kitchener, bla-bla-bla".

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:04 PM
  #248
shello
@WShello9
 
shello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ile-Perrot, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Because I stated that I would stay away from him, is attacking him? All I questioned is his character and it seems like he doesn't have a lot of it. True I don't know him as a person, but I've been on and around junior teams and know what happens in situations like this. I don't care what age they are, if you're potentially a prospect with great talent, you act professional. I do give him some respect for not going out in the public and demanding a trade.

I bet you that if Landeskog was in that situation, he wouldn't demand a trade. He would overachieve and try to make the team better. Also Spott wanted him and traded for his rights, so don't give me, "well Landeskog got traded to Kitchener, bla-bla-bla".
Landeskog also did say that he'd only report to the Rangers, since he had an agreement in place prior to the draft with them that he'd only go there.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:34 PM
  #249
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Last time I checked it was a privledge not a right to play junior hockey.

Coaches get paid to win games while developing players. If he wasn't happy with his ice time and took it personally, then wow.

I am really surprised so many people have come to his defense. This doesn't tell us whether or not he has an attitude problem, but it tells us something about his attitude. I don't like it.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:20 AM
  #250
dickiedunnwrotethis
Registered User
 
dickiedunnwrotethis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
Last time I checked it was a privledge not a right to play junior hockey.

Coaches get paid to win games while developing players. If he wasn't happy with his ice time and took it personally, then wow.

I am really surprised so many people have come to his defense. This doesn't tell us whether or not he has an attitude problem, but it tells us something about his attitude. I don't like it.
Maybe you need to take the rose-coloured glasses off and check a calendar because i think the 1950's are over. Players aren't the owner's chattell any more.

Teams draft players to make money, not out of the kindness of their hearts. They spend time and money developing players because it is in their self-interest. If they deem a player to be no longer in their best interest, they have the option of trading that player. That player has two options: retire from the league or report to the team they were traded to.

Players sign with teams because they believe it's in their best developmental interests. If a player believes that is no longer the case, they can ask for a trade. That team then has two options: keep the player's rights or acquiesce to the trade request.

Seems like a fair balance to me, especially concerning the power imbalance between junior players and management. So not sure why you think we should return to the good old days of indentured servitude, but that's your right, i guess.

dickiedunnwrotethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.