HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XXI)

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

vCash: 500
All bets are off in a 48 game regular season.
But once the playoffs begin, the best teams that get in will win.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
He stoned us in Game-3 in relief of Jose.
How many big saves did he make that game? I didn't see him saving anything like the chances we had on Jose. I didn't see us getting any chances like that on him in that game. He was in their heads, and they shot at his crest, and pad. Zajac missed a wide open net in front if he would have lifted the puck 2 inches. Clemmer let in two terrible softies in game 6. Bernier's goal was mind numbingly soft. Zajac's was terrible to let in during OT in a playoff game where his team could clinch. He cost his team that game, and that's the bottom line. Not saying that cause I don't like the guy, it's just the gods honest truth.

And yes Marty was a beast in game 7. He was inconsistent during that series, but was really good in game 7. He shut down Madden point blank about 3 times in 2 seconds early in the first OT. That was ridiculous, and one of his best playoff games since 2003.

As far as the roster goes who knows? We could get a rental who's contract expires this Summer, or a Poni cheap contract if we have a season. Butler has been a beast aside from the first month of the AHL season. Tedenby has improved, but I'm not confident with him. I'm no more confident in him than Joe Whitney to be honest.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:54 PM
dpedan2

Does anyone know if the latest proposal changes the UFA years? It would be nice to push Zajac back one more year. If not, I fear it will be another painful off season for us.

Old
12-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpedan2 View Post
Does anyone know if the latest proposal changes the UFA years? It would be nice to push Zajac back one more year. If not, I fear it will be another painful off season for us.
Eh I don't think so. That's another sore topic with me. I already got my blood pressure up talking about Clemmer!

Anyway I said I could see Zajac getting $6 million a year, but I'm not sure about that. I mean Kesler is getting $5 million a year, but he was an RFA on that contract. Can't imagine him getting much more than Kesler, or god forbid anything as much Jordan Staal. Zajac isn't quite on their level. He won't have ever played a full season as a top center not with Parise except for our tank season, but he is one of the better faceoff guys in the league whiuch we need since we suck at faceoffs, and were 29th in the league last year without him for most of the time.

Just hope some of those things lower his value with these other teams. I'm sure he's in demand, but he can't be the hottest thing on the market. It wouldn't surprise me if Elias is more in demand on the market should we have a season, and he comes close to last years pace.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Eh I don't think so. That's another sore topic with me. I already got my blood pressure up talking about Clemmer!

Anyway I said I could see Zajac getting $6 million a year, but I'm not sure about that. I mean Kesler is getting $5 million a year, but he was an RFA on that contract. Can't imagine him getting much more than Kesler, or god forbid anything as much Jordan Staal. Zajac isn't quite on their level. He won't have ever played a full season as a top center not with Parise except for our tank season, but he is one of the better faceoff guys in the league whiuch we need since we suck at faceoffs, and were 29th in the league last year without him for most of the time.

Just hope some of those things lower his value with these other teams. I'm sure he's in demand, but he can't be the hottest thing on the market. It wouldn't surprise me if Elias is more in demand on the market should we have a season, and he comes close to last years pace.
Jordan Staal AAV is low because of the length. He could've made 6-6.5 on a shorter term deal elsewhere and he definitely took a pay cut to go to Carolina.

Kesler signed that deal coming off 37, 59, and in the midst of a 75 point season. Right now, he can probably bargain for a lot more than 5, but at the time, 5 was pretty fitting also with a lower cap.

Zajac has been a consistent 60 point center when healthy. Definitely deserves 5 million easy, I wouldn't be surprised if he can get 6 maybe even higher outside of NJ.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Devils731

Past contracts were signed based on a higher actual cap number and a higher HRR % number, I would expect future contracts to be slightly discounted due to this, for a season or two.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Devils1029

In a shortened season, injuries will very likely play a major role in teams making the playoffs. Even healthy, I'd see us likely in a #6 or #7 spot but one or two guys missing any extended time could be a disaster for a borderline team. If we start January 19th, I think Henrique would miss the first few games at least. Now, with us having an older team, a shortened season could be good if we can make it to the playoffs.

I would also expect Lou to re-sign Sykora for this year and I see Butler as coming in to essentially fill Poni's spot.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Devils731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post
Now, with us having an older team, a shortened season could be good if we can make it to the playoffs.
The age thing is all thrown off by having 2 old goalies. If you look at the Devils roster there are only 4 skaters that matter who are 33 or older, and they're all 36 or under.

Old
12-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Lou must know he's going to have to overpay to keep Travis at this point. Also hopefully the 1-2 yr difference the retaining team can over in contract talks under the new CBA will be attractive to Travis. I'd give Travis 7/8 yrs ( whatever gets settled on ) at 5.5-6.5m under the new CBA.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
Yea I could see us easily bringing back Gionta
Even when we probably shouldn't. He's had a lot of injury trouble since leaving the Devils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
its a very similar roster to last year. Well make a deal for a 3rd liner at some point to replace poni. Only player to really replace is parise which i believe can be made up to an extent by an improved josefson and henrique
Parise brought other stuff that is hard to replace though. Even with the kids improving, I don't think we can fully replace him.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

When is Henrique due back from injury?

Old
12-29-2012, 11:45 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

They said 4-6 weeks for Henrique, but it was said it could be 8 weeks. This was first week of December.

$6.5 million for Zajac is fine as long as we are not pushing right up at the ceiling. I'd say $6 million max is what he'd get though if I had to guess. It's been a LONG time since he's hit 60 points, and I think he can, but hopefully this will lower his value. Only 44 points in 10/11, but still good enough for 3rd on the team in points.

$4-$4.5 for Clarkson would be nice.

I'd be willing to pay Patty more than he's worth or at least more than what he'll be worth by the time the contract ends just like Marty. I'd say a slight cut for him at $5.5 for 2 years.

If I had my way Zubrus gets 2 years at $2 million. Maybe $2.5 tops. If we have to give him $3 let him walk. People have complained about what he's made since this contract was signed 5 years ago. I can't imagine what they'll be saying if he gets the same as he did last contract. Let him walk, and sign Poni if it takes that much to keep him. I love Zubrus, but he's an aging player. With a lower salary cap on top of a team in financial trouble it would be stupid to give him a lot of money. Imagine his physical game slowing down, and him being able to only score 8 goals a year like John Madden towards the end, and then tell me he deserves $3+ million. I can easily see that happening to him also.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Devils1029

Quote:
They said 4-6 weeks for Henrique, but it was said it could be 8 weeks. This was first week of December.

$6.5 million for Zajac is fine as long as we are not pushing right up at the ceiling. I'd say $6 million max is what he'd get though if I had to guess. It's been a LONG time since he's hit 60 points, and I think he can, but hopefully this will lower his value. Only 44 points in 10/11, but still good enough for 3rd on the team in points.

I'd be willing to pay Patty more than he's worth or at least more than what he'll be worth by the time the contract ends just like Marty. I'd say a slight cut for him at $5.5 for 2 years.

If I had my way Zubrus gets 2 years at $2 million. Maybe $2.5 tops. If we have to give him $3 let him walk. People have complained about what he's made since this contract was signed 5 years ago. I can't imagine what they'll be saying if he gets the same as he did last contract. Let him walk, and sign Poni if it takes that much to keep him. I love Zubrus, but he's an aging player. With a lower salary cap on top of a team in financial trouble it would be stupid to give him a lot of money. Imagine his physical game slowing down, and him being able to only score 8 goals a year like John Madden towards the end, and then tell me he deserves $3+ million. I can easily see that happening to him also.
4-4.5 for Clarkson but only 2 fro Zubrus? Clarkie had a big year last year but the guy he's still a 3rd liner with some PP time. Don't see him as a consistent 2nd liner. I didn't like the current contract for him but he did earn it this year. Regardless, my numbers for him would be more like 3.5-4 tops, especially considering the cap drop. So say 3 years and 11.25 mil (3.75 cap hit. Zubrus is getting older but really plays a multi purpose role and chips in offensively but I'm thinking something like 2 years for 6 mil or 3 years for 8. He shouldn't get much more than Poni got as UFA but Lou would show him some loyalty.

I think Elias at 2 years for 5.5 per is reasonable. He's slowing but will still produce and will still be in our top 6. Like Marty, I don't think he wants to go anywhere and those numbers are fair.

Zajac is in his prime years but I don't see him as a 6 mil + guy even if he is our top line center. I think he'll continue to be paired with Kovy on the #1 line and would like to lock him up with a 5 year deal averaging about 5.75 per.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:06 AM
Devils1029

Quote:

4-4.5 for Clarkson but only 2 fro Zubrus? Clarkie had a big year last year but the guy he's still a 3rd liner with some PP time. Don't see him as a consistent 2nd liner. I didn't like the current contract for him but he did earn it this year. Regardless, my numbers for him would be more like 3.5-4 tops, especially considering the cap drop. So say 3 years and 11.25 mil (3.75 cap hit. Zubrus is getting older but really plays a multi purpose role and chips in offensively but I'm thinking something like 2 years for 6 mil or 3 years for 8. He shouldn't get much more than Poni got as UFA but Lou would show him some loyalty.

I think Elias at 2 years for 5.5 per is reasonable. He's slowing but will still produce and will still be in our top 6. Like Marty, I don't think he wants to go anywhere and those numbers are fair.

Zajac is in his prime years but I don't see him as a 6 mil + guy even if he is our top line center. I think he'll continue to be paired with Kovy on the #1 line and would like to lock him up with a 5 year deal averaging about 5.75 per.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:46 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Henrique would probably miss the start of the season if they make a deal to save it.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:45 PM
hlaverty06

Cut Seth Helgeson now

Helgeson’s style isn’t very flashy, but it’s proven to be very effective so far him at the collegiate level. He brings a different and unique set of skills to the table than many of the other defenseman in the system. The perfect comparable for him once he fully matures would be a Colin White type; a steady, physical, no-nonsense defenseman. He’ll return to the Golden Gophers for his senior season this fall and will turn pro for the 2013-14 season.

A colin white is no friend of mine

Old
12-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

I made my return to the Rock today as I was invited to see Jeff Dunham and walking around the arena, well......it made me realize how much I actually do miss hockey, too many times I found myself reminiscing about being there for games, last season especially - sure I still plan on cutting down the amount of games I go to and money I spend for the NHL and its players, but it wasn't until today I realized how much I really do miss it

Anyhoo, now that, that high school basketball team that used to play in the arena for a couple of years is out, the Devils of course removed everything related to that team and replaced it with Devils stuff from all 3 cup teams and 2 great pictures from Henrique's goal.......these pics are from above the Fire Lounge on the main concourse, the second Henrique and 95 cup team are not so visible because of the glare so apologies for that (and the eastern conference champion banner was not up yet)

Old
12-30-2012, 09:05 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

That is awesome. Makes me miss hockey just looking at it.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:47 PM
CerebralGenesis

Those are beautiful. Makes me sad i won't be on those hollowed grounds for several years.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

I cant wait to flock back like a little ***** to the first home game. No shame. LGD!!!

Old
12-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post
4-4.5 for Clarkson but only 2 fro Zubrus?
We will likely have to pay that for Clarkson. Especially if he hits UFA, and Burke gets out his checkbook. Zubrus is an aging player who will be 35. $2.5 is enough for him. We could get a player slightly younger than Zubrus who's a similar player for that. $2.5 to me might be a little more than I'd wanna see, but since he's been great for us at his role I'd give him that. We can't afford to overpay him especially like what Salvador got, and I love Sal too, just as I love Zubrus, and wanna keep him, but not at overpayment.

Especially if his game slows down a little. Early last season people were saying what Zubrus is getting paid is too much. I certainly was not one of them. I promise you won't want him at the same as what he's getting now. People were begging for Zubrus to be waived back when we signed Kovy. Not saying you were, and neither was I, but if he is overpaid, then I'm sure quite a few others will feel the same as me.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:28 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
I made my return to the Rock today as I was invited to see Jeff Dunham and walking around the arena, well......it made me realize how much I actually do miss hockey, too many times I found myself reminiscing about being there for games, last season especially - sure I still plan on cutting down the amount of games I go to and money I spend for the NHL and its players, but it wasn't until today I realized how much I really do miss it

Anyhoo, now that, that high school basketball team that used to play in the arena for a couple of years is out, the Devils of course removed everything related to that team and replaced it with Devils stuff from all 3 cup teams and 2 great pictures from Henrique's goal.......these pics are from above the Fire Lounge on the main concourse, the second Henrique and 95 cup team are not so visible because of the glare so apologies for that (and the eastern conference champion banner was not up yet)

**** ya! walking in there would be a treat in itself to some.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:41 PM
CerebralGenesis

**** me if we have to pay Clarkson 5 mill a year. Enjoy the GTA

Old
12-30-2012, 11:44 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
mr lamoriello wouldnt be THAT foolish now.......would he?

Old
12-30-2012, 11:47 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
It wouldn't shock me if someone offered him that if he hits UFA. Someone like Burke, and Toronto. Hopefully though with the new CBA I'll be pleasantly surprised if contracts go down, and Clarkson isn't offered such dumb money. Nevermind Clarkson, but if UFA's in general aren't offered such ridiculous joke contracts.

Clarkson's still a question mark though so hopefully that will lower his value. One season over 17 goals which was a 30 goal season which he just came off. Only two seasons over 30 points. Last year with 46, and 08/09 with 32 which was his 17 goal season, and second highest goal season also. Wouldn't mind going for Clarke MacArthur if Clarkson walks. I doubt Burke brings him back if he goes for Clarkson.

Closed Thread