HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sam Gagner and Ryan Whitney

Old
12-30-2012, 03:03 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Proves what point?
That OP is a massive homer. Seguin is good, but come on

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:04 PM
FanHabtic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
What team is in the market for a small 40 point centerman who is meh defensively?
One that hopes that he magically breaks out into a star player. lol

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:05 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
That OP is a massive homer. Seguin is good, but come on
Come on what? You could make a case that Seguin is = to or > Hall. He certainly is much more resilient.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Quote:
Come on what? You could make a case that Seguin is = to or > Hall. He certainly is much more resilient.
the only thing Seguin is better at than Hall, is being picked second...yippee.

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:09 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
Well he does have a knack for staying healthy. Both are great players and their values are pretty much the same IMO.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:10 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
As a fan of the game who absolutely despises the Bruins and is not a fan of the Oilers, and from a standpoint of having watched Seguin and Hall equally i would say that they are not too far apart. Further, i would also mention that Hall's injuries haven't helped his value by comparison with Seguin.

Seguin IMO will become the better player and plays a position that has more value. However, Hall will have some insane talent to work with.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

Quote:
As a fan of the game who absolutely despises the Bruins and is not a fan of the Oilers, and from a standpoint of having watched Seguin and Hall equally i would say that they are not too far apart. Further, i would also mention that Hall's injuries haven't helped his value by comparison with Seguin.

Seguin IMO will become the better player and plays a position that has more value. However, Hall will have some insane talent to work with.
how does right wing have more value than left wing?

Old
12-30-2012, 03:14 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
how does right wing have more value than left wing?
Seguin is destined for center and i'm sure you know that (if you are a true fan of the game). The Bruins are breaking him in slowly (and insulating him nicely) while giving him time on the wing and at center with a view of moving him permanently to center.

The point is that he is productive at both positions and broke out last season. He is on the cusp of superstardom. The same could be said for Hall if he plays an entire season without injury. They are very close in value. 1A and 1B in that draft.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Pucklington

Quote:
Seguin is destined for center and i'm sure you know that (if you are a true fan of the game). The Bruins are breaking him in slowly (and insulating him nicely) while giving him time on the wing and at center with a view of moving him wpermanently to center.

The point is that he is productive at both positions and broke out last season. He is on the cusp of superstardom. The same could be said for Hall if he plays an entire season without injury. They are very close in value. 1A and 1B in that draft.
Seguin is not a centre though. He's a winger. Maybe he plays centre one day or maybe not.

Boston has great centre's already so it is reasonable to think he may not end up as a centre.

Pucklington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:27 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucklington View Post
Seguin is not a centre though. He's a winger. Maybe he plays centre one day or maybe not.

Boston has great centre's already so it is reasonable to think he may not end up as a centre.
Why don't you ask Bruin's fans on his prospects of remaining on the wing?

Old
12-30-2012, 03:45 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Let's see, you are saying that it would take Seguin, Hamilton and 2 1st round picks to get the Oilers to discuss trading Hall but you are accusing someone else of saying something that is hard to believe?

Seguin and Hall are clearly pretty equal and it is pretty clear that Seguin could play center if the Bruins didn't already have 4 guys who are very good at face offs and defensively.

Seguin played center in the all star game, ok, that doesn't mean one thing

It is also clear that Hall plays differently than Seguin and is a guy who will skate through a wall, but walls are hard and you tend to get injured

Seguin and Hall are worth almost exactly the same, maybe some teams like one guy more than the other. This year people seem to like Seguin better than Hall, who knows, maybe it will change after every season.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:48 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Why don't you ask Bruin's fans on his prospects of remaining on the wing?
I think chances are that he moves to center at some point in his career. Right now there is no need unless someone gets injured. Last year when Krejci was having a bit of a hard time Julien moved Krejci to the wing and Seguin to center for a short time.

Old
12-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
So draft position determines value? Anybody know where Patrik Stefan is? Oilers need a center

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
What team is in the market for a small 40 point centerman who is meh defensively?
I didn't realize that reading comprehension was such a challenge. I was operating under the premise that if Gagner played between Hall and Ebs he would be on pace for 55 + points. Not 40. A reasonable premise IMO. Then I went on to say he would be packaged with a 1st and a prospect (let's say Paajarvi/Marincin). Then I said it would be for a rental. So, for instance, let's say Colorado is already out of it and Stastny wants UFA status. You don't think Colorado would be pleased with a package like that? In fact, I would like to think Gagner + 1st or Gagner + prospect gets it done.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:07 PM
leeroggy

What I don't understand about this thread and so many like it is if Gagner is so valuable according to the posters from Edmonton why is pretty much 9 out of every 10 threads that appear as Edmonton trade proposals focus on Gagner? Is there any other thread here that approaches that frequency?

Okay, maybe Bozak or Kadri or Grabovski . . . Plekanic . . .

As an Isle fan I do find these threads amusing in their constant focusing on the same four players.

Now if we could only force a moratorium on Luongo!

If that happens we might as well eliminate the Trade Proposals entirely! Volume would fall 75%.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:09 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
What I don't understand about this thread and so many like it is if Gagner is so valuable according to the posters from Edmonton why is pretty much 9 out of every 10 threads that appear as Edmonton trade proposals focus on Gagner? Is there any other thread here that approaches that frequency?

Okay, maybe Bozak or Kadri or Grabovski . . . Plekanic . . .

As an Isle fan I do find these threads amusing in their constant focusing on the same four players.

Now if we could only force a moratorium on Luongo!

If that happens we might as well eliminate the Trade Proposals entirely! Volume would fall 75%.
Because the fit isn't quite there, not the skill. He's a damn good player, we just could use a little more size in the top 6. If you read any of the threads you would know that

Old
12-30-2012, 06:57 PM
leeroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Because the fit isn't quite there, not the skill. He's a damn good player, we just could use a little more size in the top 6. If you read any of the threads you would know that
How would I know about the threads if I didn't read them?

If size is so important than why would any team trade you a bigger second line center in exchange for him? Isn't he the same size as Ryan Strome? Would you accept Strome even up for Gagner? If you were smart you would, as an Isles fan I wouldn't trade Strome for him. I'm completely confident Strome will exceed 45 points in his fourth NHL season.

I also know Nielsen is a third line center playing out of position as a #2. When the Isles #2 spot is filled Nielsen will take his place as one of the best #3's in the league, and the Isles will be that closer to contention.

Some of the posts on this thread are pretty revealing. Gagner's faceoff % is still below 50% in his fifth season. Improvement isn't exactly coming too fast is it?

You know what is really ironic? Isn't the argument being made against him the same made against his father Dave? Yet look how much more success Dave had in scoring.

Sam was the 6th OVERALL PICK his draft year. He is under-performing his draft status and there is no sugar coating that fact. And it certainly hasn't been because he didn't get the ice time to prove himself.

Last edited by leeroggy: 12-30-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: minor change
leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Oates2Neely

This gets better! Now the only reason Oilers want to trade Gagner is because of his lack of "size"? Not every team is stacked with 'big' top-6 centers. Boston has Krejci and Bergeron. Be real for once, Gagner is 4 or 5 seasons into his career and he can't break the 40 point range. He is what he is. He has very little value.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Oates2Neely

The Bruins struck out on a top-10 pick on a small skilled center also (Hamill). They finally decided to trade him for scrap. Tambo will do the same very soon.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
The Bruins struck out on a top-10 pick on a small skilled center also (Hamill). They finally decided to trade him for scrap. Tambo will do the same very soon.
Yep. The two are almost identical.

We get it, you don't like the guy, but you should seriously take some meds to calm down the hate bonor you have for him.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Oates2Neely

Hate? I'm just stating my opinion. Some of you Oil fans are used car salesmen. All summer we were being sold on Hemsky being an elite top line winger despite the fact that he can't ever stay healthy enough to prove such. Now you're attempting to sell us Gagner as a "legit" #2 center. I don't agree with you, doesn't mean I hate the guy. I just see him as a Cogliano type, small skilled who had success in juniors but couldn't translate to NHL.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:16 PM
nmbr_24

I got a good laugh from reading some of this thread, especially the parts where people are accusing other people of hating Gagner because they don't think he is a good #2 center.

I don't think he is a good #2 center either, that doesn't mean I hate the guy, I don't think about him at all unless I am reading a thread like this and the time he scored 8 points in a game.

There are teams in the NHL right now that Gagner could not make because he would not fit in the top 9 never mind the top 6, that is just the truth, I don't hate the guy or like the guy and however I feel about him isn't going to make him a better or worse player.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

Quote:
This gets better! Now the only reason Oilers want to trade Gagner is because of his lack of "size"? Not every team is stacked with 'big' top-6 centers. Boston has Krejci and Bergeron. Be real for once, Gagner is 4 or 5 seasons into his career and he can't break the 40 point range. He is what he is. He has very little value.
really?...

you can't do simple math.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:59 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
really?...

you can't do simple math.
Tell me when has he broken the 40-49 point range, which is the 40 point range?

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:03 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
How would I know about the threads if I didn't read them?

If size is so important than why would any team trade you a bigger second line center in exchange for him? Isn't he the same size as Ryan Strome? Would you accept Strome even up for Gagner? If you were smart you would, as an Isles fan I wouldn't trade Strome for him. I'm completely confident Strome will exceed 45 points in his fourth NHL season.

I also know Nielsen is a third line center playing out of position as a #2. When the Isles #2 spot is filled Nielsen will take his place as one of the best #3's in the league, and the Isles will be that closer to contention.

Some of the posts on this thread are pretty revealing. Gagner's faceoff % is still below 50% in his fifth season. Improvement isn't exactly coming too fast is it?

You know what is really ironic? Isn't the argument being made against him the same made against his father Dave? Yet look how much more success Dave had in scoring.

Sam was the 6th OVERALL PICK his draft year. He is under-performing his draft status and there is no sugar coating that fact. And it certainly hasn't been because he didn't get the ice time to prove himself.
Gagner's faceoff percentage has gone up a fair bit actually. And for the argument about his father being better, Gagner is a .6 PPG forward in 366 games (220 points). All by the old age of 22. Want to know what his dad(a 12th overall selection) had done by that point? 46 points, in 131 games. His Dad finally broke out the following season. Gags is likely going to do the same given how much his game has improved over the last 2 years (not saying he'll break a PPG like his dad though)