HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do the Oilers buyout? (If anyone)

Old
12-30-2012, 06:40 PM
#ualberta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty99 View Post
Pretty sure the player's union wanted the buyouts in the first place and the league is giving in to it.
But the league is willing to do the buyouts based on the cap dropping to $60 M the NHLPA will not want the cap to drop that much. I bet in their counter offer tomorroe they will ask for the cap to drop to something like $65 M in 2013-14

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Buyout Horc and then roll with this:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov-Gagner/replacement-Hemsky
Eager/Smyth-Belanger-Jones
Paajarvi-Lander-Hartikainen
In theory, that looks like a good lineup. The problem is, we are bound to have an injury in our top 6 centers at some point in the year. If RNH gets injured, do you really want Belanger filling in on the 2nd line? I say if we can survive Horcoff's cap hit for now, keep him. If not, we have some tough decisions.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:16 PM
DousedInOil

Our team isn't going to get any better by just simply buying out Horcoff. We need to use the cash we would save on other players going forward. So unless we have a cap drop and can find a decent UFA then I don't see how it matters.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:18 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
Whitney could be re-signed for less money next season for sure. He knows he's no longer a top 2 defenseman, so he cant ask for as much.
Whitney will not take less than 4M per year. He will have to take a 1 year contract, but he will get 4M on the open market. If he agrees to a smaller yearly rate, he will ask for a long term contract.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

As long as Krueger doesn't lean on Horcoff like MacTavish and Renney did then I'm fine. He shouldn't be playing 18+ minutes a game anymore.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:24 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Whitney will not take less than 4M per year. He will have to take a 1 year contract, but he will get 4M on the open market. If he agrees to a smaller yearly rate, he will ask for a long term contract.
If he can get that with a reduced cap then good for him.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:46 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Horcoff, numbers wise it isn't close as far as value vs cap hit. But I don't see it happening unless the cap drops too much and losing one of the top kids. Atleast until after Hall is named Captain.

Would have said Khabi if he had more years.

Though despite what people say, I don't think the Oilers can get a 3rd liner on a whim. Remember when some of us (me included) thought getting Belanger was a good thing?

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I despise Tambellini but theoretically, the Belanger signing should have been a good move. He was scoring 35-40 points a season and he was great on the dot. On paper he was exactly what we needed.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:26 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Assuming the NHL and PA agree to a one-time one-player buyout that doesn't count against the cap, a Horcoff buyout is almost a guarantee. The interesting part to me is if teams would be allowed to re-sign those players or not. If so, then I think signing Horcoff to a reduced rate is both smart, and likely. Having Horcoff play out the rest of his deal with a $1.5-$2M cap hit would be great for both sides IMO.

Aside from Horcoff though, I can't think of any contract they have that would even be a consideration. Khabibulin's deal will be done by the time any "compliance buy-out" period starts.

12-30-2012, 08:35 PM
armandh01

Why do I have a feeling that out of sheer blind investment in that buffoon as a captain, lowe won't admit to his mistakes and not buyout horcoff.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:13 PM
vb

That would be cool if we could make a trade for a d + another teams overpaid player. Buyout the player and get a needed asset for cash.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I despise Tambellini but theoretically, the Belanger signing should have been a good move. He was scoring 35-40 points a season and he was great on the dot. On paper he was exactly what we needed.
Brodziak and Glencross were what we needed ... but what did we get for those guys? Nada.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
In theory, that looks like a good lineup. The problem is, we are bound to have an injury in our top 6 centers at some point in the year. If RNH gets injured, do you really want Belanger filling in on the 2nd line? I say if we can survive Horcoff's cap hit for now, keep him. If not, we have some tough decisions.
And Horcoff is so much better than Belanger to warrant the pay difference? Ditch Horcoff and sign another center for half his pay.

12-30-2012, 11:33 PM
TowMater14

We either buy Horcoff out, or we boo him out of town.

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Assuming the NHL and PA agree to a one-time one-player buyout that doesn't count against the cap, a Horcoff buyout is almost a guarantee. The interesting part to me is if teams would be allowed to re-sign those players or not. If so, then I think signing Horcoff to a reduced rate is both smart, and likely. Having Horcoff play out the rest of his deal with a $1.5-$2M cap hit would be great for both sides IMO.

Aside from Horcoff though, I can't think of any contract they have that would even be a consideration. Khabibulin's deal will be done by the time any "compliance buy-out" period starts.
I might be mistaken, but I thought that the last lockout had a situation in which you could not buy out a player and then sign him to a new deal. It was either keep him, or buy him out and say good bye. I would imagine it would be a similar situation this time.

Horcoff is really the only option for this team. It is either him or no one. He is the only person outside of Hall/Eberle who have a contract beyond the end of next season and I suppose Yakupov who signed his entry level. The rest are either RFAs or UFAs.

I wish we could keep Horcoff on this team, but his cap hit is just hard to manage. If you can get out from under it... 5.5 is a lot to either spread around or invest in a top 4 d-man/top 6 forward.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
And Horcoff is so much better than Belanger to warrant the pay difference? Ditch Horcoff and sign another center for half his pay.
While I think I'm on board with buying out Horcoff. Who is the center that you sign for 1/2 the price?

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:13 AM
Bank Shot

Trade Horcoff to another team in exchange for a bad contract with just one season remaining.

Then the other team buys him out, the Oilers buyout the bad contract they traded for, and resign Horcoff for Ryan Smyth dollars.

Boom. There goes the dynamite.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:39 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Brodziak and Glencross were what we needed ... but what did we get for those guys? Nada.
I'll give you Brodziak but Glencross is a defensive liability. He's got speed to burn and can score though, for sure.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:41 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Trade Horcoff to another team in exchange for a bad contract with just one season remaining.

Then the other team buys him out, the Oilers buyout the bad contract they traded for, and resign Horcoff for Ryan Smyth dollars.

Boom. There goes the dynamite.
Or we could just buyout Horcoff and never have to see him on the Oilers again.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:44 AM
Koto

Quote:
Whitney could be re-signed for less money next season for sure. He knows he's no longer a top 2 defenseman, so he cant ask for as much.
im sure if he gets in half a good season he could sucker some team into giving him a widemen like deal.

teams are sooooooooooooo desperate. hopefully we dont give him anything like that, im not even prepared to pay him like a #4.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:52 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I used to think that Whitney was a laid back, grounded guy but this lockout has displayed an ugly side to his personality. His tweets are ridiculous and he strikes me as an entitled individual. He's not going to accept a bottom-pairing defensive role and a sub-2 million dollar salary when his contract is up.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:52 AM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
I doubt it. He's a UFA and there's going to be quite a few teams with enough space to sign him to a 3.5-4.0M deal.
A lot of players will want to be part of the Oilers future. Smid is likely one of them. I think he's one guy who would really sign a "hometown discount".

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:53 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
A lot of players will want to be part of the Oilers future. Smid is likely one of them. I think he's one guy who would really sign a "hometown discount".
Definitely, and unlike a lot of Oilers I'm pretty sure that he lives here almost year round.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:41 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
I think if he gets 5+ years with a NTC, we could probably talk him into signing a bargain. He's one of those guys you just love to have, and want locked up long term

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:36 AM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Our team isn't going to get any better by just simply buying out Horcoff. We need to use the cash we would save on other players going forward. So unless we have a cap drop and can find a decent UFA then I don't see how it matters.
Came to say this. Unless they need the money for a new player, or they have a better 3C that's worth said players salary plus Horcoff's buyout, what's the point?

Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote