Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 11:46 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Everybody has known for quite a while that he doesn't care about the Rangers anymore.
This. He even said himself that he doesn't owe the Rangers anything. Whether or not that's true, it sounds bad when you just blab that out to the media.

Edit: Besides, this is great what the Angels are doing. Digging themselves a financial hole. Doesn't Trout still need a contract? That dude's gonna get paid. Let them think they can play like the Yankees. It's going to backfire in a few years.

Last edited by FrailSwan: 12-13-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Class1723

Send a message via Yahoo to Class1723
It will be a while before they have to pay Trout big $. He wont even hit arbitration for at least two years maybe three.

And while the reasons not to sign Hamilton are easy to find, I am more concerned about the team not striking while the iron is hot. Dallas sports fans aren't exactly the most loyal group. And if the team cannot stay in contention for the upcoming season it could hurt the momentum they have built. A huge breakout year for a guy like Profar / Olt / Martin could help as could a season where Cruz / Kinsler put it together and keep it going for a whole year.

The Rangers are in better shape than the Stars as far as fan loyalty goes but with one or two injuries, this could very easily turn into a tough season one that makes it difficult to reach the lofty attendance numbers they have been producing.

Last edited by Class1723: 12-14-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old
12-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Brand New Stars

I truly feel bad for Romo

Old
12-30-2012, 11:22 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Romo comes up small when it matters, as usual.

Cowboys got exactly what they deserved. That was in no way shape or form a playoff-caliber football team.

And what the hell was with that decision before the half not to try for the field goal? Dan Bailey is the best player on your team, give him a chance. I'm done with Garrett.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Brand New Stars

Sure, Romo messed up big time, but I'd still put the loss on the defense. 6.5 YPC is pathetic for them to allow. You do that and you are forced to pass a ton.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:31 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

What? There's nothing more the defense could've done. They played a great game to even keep the team competitive. Almost everyone back there was either injured or a backup.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Brand New Stars

274 rushing yards against is great?? They could've done a lot more. Just because they shut down the pass doesn't mean they played a good game at all. Being backups doesn't equate to relative good play. Standards shouldn't be lowered.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Gotta agree that I feel for Romo, sure he wasn't perfect, but look at the injuries that piled up on offense as the game went on. The defense didn't help that much either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
And what the hell was with that decision before the half not to try for the field goal? Dan Bailey is the best player on your team, give him a chance. I'm done with Garrett.
He's never been that good from long distances. Also think about what you just said there. When the kicker is your best player, you're screwed.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:43 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Right, standards shouldn't be lowered for a motley crew of guys off the street.

Meanwhile healthy Romo goes into this game with Dez, Miles, Witten, Murray, Felix, Harris, etc... and immediately throws 2 INTs and gets massively outplayed by a hobbled RG3. Pathetic. It was up to the offense and Romo to outscore the Redskins and they failed. Like always. They will never win anything with Romo. He can set all the individual records that he wants, he's worthless.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Brand New Stars

Miles Austin sucked this year. He was just a name. Witten is a dump off safety net type of guy (don't get me wrong he's great). Dez got hurt. Felix? Don't make me laugh. If you can make excuses for the defense I can make just as many for the offense.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:52 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Yes, because all of those offensive weapons are equivalent to Dan Connor, Alex Albright, Brady Poppinga, Ernie Sims, Charlie Peprah, Eric Frampton and the statue formerly known as DeMarcus Ware.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Brand New Stars

Then why the **** do Cowboys fans blame Romo? Main reason I HATE the Cowboys. What's he supposed to do, score 30 points a game?

Old
12-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Brand New Stars

Also I'm sure it was Romo's fault there was a roughing the passer call at the end? He would've had another chance if not for the defense blowing it once again as well. Romo deserves some blame obviously, but I'm so damn tired of people acting like the Cowboys are uber talented and would do something with any other quarterback.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Yes, because all of those offensive weapons are equivalent to Dan Connor, Alex Albright, Brady Poppinga, Ernie Sims, Charlie Peprah, Eric Frampton and the statue formerly known as DeMarcus Ware.
You mean they aren't? I'll give you Dez, and maybe Witten. But there's virtually no running game each week. Harris has shown he's a good returner, but hasn't done much else.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:04 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
Then why the **** do Cowboys fans blame Romo? Main reason I HATE the Cowboys. What's he supposed to do, score 30 points a game?
Um, yes? It's not like 30 points is some incredibly lofty amount for such a supposedly great QB with all the options he has. Cowboys fans blame Romo because he makes terrible decisions when the pressure is on and turns the football over. Not difficult to understand.
Quote:
Also I'm sure it was Romo's fault there was a roughing the passer call at the end? He would've had another chance if not for the defense blowing it once again as well. Romo deserves some blame obviously, but I'm so damn tired of people acting like the Cowboys are uber talented and would do something with any other quarterback.
That was a ticky-tack call against Hatcher, I can't get upset at him for that. Why does Romo need another damn chance? How about not throw the ball away your previous chance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
You mean they aren't? I'll give you Dez, and maybe Witten. But there's virtually no running game each week. Harris has shown he's a good returner, but hasn't done much else.
There's no running game because Romo never comes to play and the team always finds itself trailing in the 2nd half and Garrett predictably and foolishly abandons the run. Harris has shown enough that he's a good receiver IMO.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:05 AM
BigG44

Dumping on that defense seems pretty silly at this point. Regardless of the actual yards, they kept it close the entire game, and the players missing from that lineup or playing with significant injuries is not something to scoff at.

The game was 14-7 at the start of the 4th quarter, and that defense was getting abused with starting field position of the Redskins offense. Those guys did an admirable job, and don't deserve any blame IMO for the final touchdown after Romo's 3rd pick. The NBC crew was talking about all of those players in Dallas lineup recently coming off the streets for a reason. That was a ragtag group of players held together with duct tape and bubblegum.

Romo ... I don't really have the disdain piqued seems to have. If we're being honest, the only reason that team was in a position for a Week 17 win-and-in game was Romo's amazing December. However, you can't just overlook or deny the fact that once again when it really mattered, Romo made major mistakes that directly resulted in a loss. I like the guy, I want him to succeed, and he's honestly fun to watch most Sundays ........ we can't keep denying or ignoring the fact he's 1-6 in elimination games.

He's a good quarterback, but he's not going to be the star player carrying his team to a championship.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:07 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

Romo is Marty Turco. It doesn't matter how many yards or saves he racks up. The team is never going to win with him. The sooner they realize that and move on the sooner they might have some hope of someday not finishing 8-8. He doesn't have what it takes. Every bit of sports I've watched in my life tells me that.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Brand New Stars

The problem here piqued is you think Romo has incredible options. That just plays into Cowboys fans always thinking they have way more talent than they really do. Yes, asking a QB to average 30 points that isn't Manning, Brady, Rodgers, or Brees is lofty.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:12 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

He does! The Cowboys do have more talent at the skill positions than most teams! They always do because Jerrah loves him his flashy skill players.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:13 AM
BigG44

Quote:
That was a ticky-tack call against Hatcher, I can't get upset at him for that. Why does Romo need another damn chance? How about not throw the ball away your previous chance?
I have to say I'm totally blown away you even need to say this. I mean ... the guy threw a pick on the 20 ... or was it 30 yard line. There is a known recipe to beating Tony Romo. It's pressure in his face up the middle, and that play was the prime example.

The only significant play in that final two minutes is the Romo pick. You just can't logically blame the defense for allowing a TD when you're giving the Skins the ball essentially in the red zone, and Hatcher's "penalty" while correct by the letter of the law (a law I think coddles the damn QB too much in most cases) wasn't blatant or intentional. It's a guy playing hard trying to fight through a block.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:13 AM
Brand New Stars

Eh, the Turco comparison seals it for me.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:21 AM
BigG44

Quote:
The problem here piqued is you think Romo has incredible options. That just plays into Cowboys fans always thinking they have way more talent than they really do. Yes, asking a QB to average 30 points that isn't Manning, Brady, Rodgers, or Brees is lofty.
The problem for me honestly is this argument.

We can't do any better than him so let's just live with it. That would be an OK, not great by any stretch of the imagination, idea if the Cowboy's had a real GM that would build a team rather than just acquiring talented pieces.

Dallas always has a ton of talent ... that never plays together as a team. I pretty much just expect the team to keep treading water like they have for 17 or 18 years. I agree Romo isn't the only player to blame, but his play in elimination games is a major problem.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:31 AM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
There's no running game because Romo never comes to play and the team always finds itself trailing in the 2nd half and Garrett predictably and foolishly abandons the run. Harris has shown enough that he's a good receiver IMO.
Most of the games it was given up on due to not being able to produce. The offensive line is horrible. The team was lucky to even have a chance at the division and the playoffs this year, which is all because of Romo.

Harris hasn't really had enough opportunities to show one way or another just how good of a receiver he is. He's shown flashes, and probably should be playing over Austin.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:31 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Haha. There's always those last few to defend Tony. Absolutely worthless player.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:02 AM
Rune Forumwalker

The Turco comparison is hilarious, and actually more of a compliment if you compare the record in elimination games. Sure those first few years he sucked in the playoffs (actually it was the whole team, but I digress), but those last two playoffs he was very good. Remember when he was the the best player in 2007 and outplayed Luongo and lost because the team had no offense? Good times. Then the next year the team went to the SCF before he finally wore down and became useless altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
The problem for me honestly is this argument.

We can't do any better than him so let's just live with it. That would be an OK, not great by any stretch of the imagination, idea if the Cowboy's had a real GM that would build a team rather than just acquiring talented pieces.

Dallas always has a ton of talent ... that never plays together as a team. I pretty much just expect the team to keep treading water like they have for 17 or 18 years. I agree Romo isn't the only player to blame, but his play in elimination games is a major problem.
The argument has it's flaws, sure, especially since I remember one year Brady did it all by himself (can't remember what year though).

Romo's play wasn't that good by any means, but the talent on this team is seriously overrated.

Closed Thread