12-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
Borderlands 2 lives up to expectations.
Yes, it does.

I thought True Vault Hunter Mode was just going to be more of the same, so I put off starting it. Huge mistake, it's even better.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Started an entirely new Be a GM, this time going with a full re-build. Traded away nearly everyone but Suter, Gilbert, Clutter, Cullen and Brodz. Have 6 first round picks, lol.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:21 AM
INTOTHEVOID
Go right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Been playing Megaman X lately. I've realized that...I suddenly suck at Megaman X lately. I used to own this thing. Hmm.
Megaman games are hard

Old
12-31-2012, 03:04 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTOTHEVOID View Post
Megaman games are hard
Lemme guess...you can't beat Air Man?

Old
01-05-2013, 12:42 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Started yet another Be a GM mode, this time actually trying as hard as I can to put together a competitive team while still keeping the prospects and draft picks intact.

After season one Parise lead the league with 99 points.

Top line of Parise - Koivu - Heater all have 30 or more goals each.

Traded for Dan Boyle at the trade deadline to play alongside Suter.

Traded a bunch of crap I signed at the beginning of the GM mode in free agency for Kreider.

Wild lose in the Conference Finals.

Aeros lose in the Calder Cup Finals.

Have at least 2 picks for every round in the draft.

Not too shabby.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

For the last couple of weeks I've been trying to beat the original, NES, Ninja Gaiden 1. I've only been savestating at the beginning of acts as I progress, and I think I have done act 6 at least a hundred times by now, because when you die against any of the final bosses, you get bumped all the way back to stage 6-****ing-1. Worse, if you actually managed to take down one or two of the bosses, when you get back to the remaining boss, you do not get the health refill that you would get were you facing the very first of the three bosses. The only advantage is you get to keep your scrolls and ninja arts for the first remaining boss.

I have literally been trying for hours to get this game done once and for all. I finally managed to pin down how to defeat boss 1 perfectly. I managed to develop a technique to take out the second boss with full health and no arts, and I also think I have a good strategy for the third and final boss.

And after killing the first boss and dying to the second boss and working my way, agonizingly back through act 6, after a couple of hours I managed to get to boss 2 with most of my health, 70 scrolls and the double fire wheel art. I just barely took him out with 1 hit point remaining.

I had the final boss down to 3 hp when I died against him.

So far I have done as well as to get to the final boss again with *NINETY SEVEN* scrolls and the double fire wheel, and about 75% of my life, but I died again. I had savestated just before the battle because if I died, I wanted to grind the ****er and perfect my technique against him.

Died 50 times in a row before I finally took the god damned piece of **** down with my last scroll.

Died 50 times....while abusing save states.

Tecmo should issue an international apology for the final boss mechanics of this game. This is literally the most rediculous boss I have ever fought in any game, ever.

In fact, Ninja Gaiden 1 is the *ONLY* game I actually owned for the NES that I *NEVER* beat with multiple repeated attempts. I had a couple other games I did not beat, but I only tried once or twice.

I seriously feel like spiking my controller into the ground.

And now I've aggravated my flu. I need to take some more tylenol and go back to bed. God damn it hurts when I cough right now after screaming "ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME?!" at my monitor repetedly over the last several hours.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Dee Oh Cee

The version for the original Xbox was (and probably still is) the hardest game I've ever played.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:11 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Just finished up Far Cry 3. Fun game.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
01-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Ninja Gaiden is cruel.

As a kid I used to get SO FRUSTRATED playing Nintendo games. I don't know if I ever even beat any of them, outside Super Mario 3.

Then with SNES games got easier and I could beat them. And I enjoyed them more.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Started a completely new game of Ninja Gaiden tonight during halftime of the Vikings game.

Killed the final boss, completely legitimately, when there was a minute to go in the 4th.

So yeah, I was witness to two beatdowns tonight.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:13 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1068
Not sure if it's the right thread for it, but can someone please tell me how I can update rosters in offline mode? (PS 3)

Old
01-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Beat Ninja Gaiden II for NES. Didn't take nearly as long because none of the stages are ******** hard like in 1, and the final boss is considerably easier with spirit clones.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:50 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
Not sure if it's the right thread for it, but can someone please tell me how I can update rosters in offline mode? (PS 3)
think you have to start online play and accept roster update, then choose the current roster next time you start play in offline mode. i think...

Old
01-06-2013, 02:47 PM
MNman

Here I thought the only position I could play well in OTP was D-man.....but lately I've tried my hand at some Center, and am averaging about 3 points per game playing that position.

My playing style is kind of like a Kyle Brodziak. Good all-around game, special at nothing. I can only try to make the smart plays and hope my teammates are in the position their supposed to be.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

Played my first be a GM season ever. Won SC in 7 over Pens, this game is easy. Hopefully it's an omen for the season. Although I doubt my key acquisition will happen, Streit from NYI.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Sure was. Excellently done.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:09 AM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Wow we knocked this thread off the first page...hooray end of lockout!

Anyway, I've been playing good ol' Sim City for the SNES, because I want something to half pay attention to while I do other stuff, and I'm discovering a lot of interesting things.

Having a war on the poor seems to be very fruitful. I took the bulldozer to every mid and low grade residential zone and replaced them with parks and I only lost a few thousand in population while my land values skyrocketed. Did the same thing with commercial zones to similar effect.

Also, if you want to relocate your seaport, build the replacement first and let its power get turned on before you bulldoze the old one. I bulldozed first and then replaced, and all my industry decided to punt. Lost a crapton of people.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I made a big mistake in getting Black Ops 2 instead of Far Cry 3. The BO2 campaign was decent but I am entirely bored with multiplayer and I have only been playing it for a couple weeks now. Time to trade in for FC3.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:15 PM
MNman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
I made a big mistake in getting Black Ops 2 instead of Far Cry 3. The BO2 campaign was decent but I am entirely bored with multiplayer and I have only been playing it for a couple weeks now. Time to trade in for FC3.
The MP really is getting old.....I sure hope my Elite subscription that was extended into May still allows me to download the new DLC (coming end of Jan.) and that it contains a lot of good stuff.

The maps are too small and not always fun to play. There are no multi-player missions or obstacle courses to go through (took up a lot of my time on MW3) and the freakin semi-automatic Sniper rifle is a piece of garbage. How the heck can it be allowed to use a sniper rifle that fires a full magazine in half a second along with zero recoil???? Seriously, that sniper has less recoil than all of the SMG's.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNman View Post
The MP really is getting old.....I sure hope my Elite subscription that was extended into May still allows me to download the new DLC (coming end of Jan.) and that it contains a lot of good stuff.

The maps are too small and not always fun to play. There are no multi-player missions or obstacle courses to go through (took up a lot of my time on MW3) and the freakin semi-automatic Sniper rifle is a piece of garbage. How the heck can it be allowed to use a sniper rifle that fires a full magazine in half a second along with zero recoil???? Seriously, that sniper has less recoil than all of the SMG's.
Agreed. I read some of the reviews that made it sound like they had released a fresh, new version of COD but it feels very much like the same tired crap with a new paint job.

On the other hand, I really liked Far Cry 2 and the ability to freely roam a very large map in the single player. I loved the ability to sneak up on a post of enemies and take them all out. Also, the deteriorating weapons was a nice touch of realism. Even though Far Cry 3 isn't a direct sequel, they've had over 3 years to improve on FC2 and I've heard very good things.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I LOVED the storyline of Far Cry and the environments you could play in. One of the few FPS that I played through and really enjoyed and didn't feel like it got old or stagnant.

I heard Far Cry 2 was completely different and a disappointment. Also heard Far Cry 3 is closer to the first. Truth?

Old
01-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I LOVED the storyline of Far Cry and the environments you could play in. One of the few FPS that I played through and really enjoyed and didn't feel like it got old or stagnant.

I heard Far Cry 2 was completely different and a disappointment. Also heard Far Cry 3 is closer to the first. Truth?
Far Cry 2 was a game that felt lost within itself. The story was very loose, and I literally can't remember any of it. It had some really neat bits and pieces, but couldn't put them all together.

Not a bad game, and at this stage, it's cheap. But don't expect it to be better than 3, 3 is a top-3 game this year.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:07 AM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

So, been playing Sim City 4 recently, working on a region I created based on some actual terrain radar images I found on a NASA site, and I'm doing pretty good. Just broke a million region-wide residents spread across

Anyway, this is what happens when you attempt to build a city devoted to dirty industry, cheap coal power production, and region-wide landfill services, and you fail horribly at it: The City of Dirtfoot

No seriously, my region simply would not let me go the dirty industry route. It MADE me do this.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:12 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
So, been playing Sim City 4 recently, working on a region I created based on some actual terrain radar images I found on a NASA site, and I'm doing pretty good. Just broke a million region-wide residents spread across

Anyway, this is what happens when you attempt to build a city devoted to dirty industry, cheap coal power production, and region-wide landfill services, and you fail horribly at it: The City of Dirtfoot

No seriously, my region simply would not let me go the dirty industry route. It MADE me do this.
Any idea if the new SimCity will be good? Always wanted to try one of them...

Old
01-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
Any idea if the new SimCity will be good? Always wanted to try one of them...
It looks like it should be okay. It's a lot simpler than previous versions of it, and it seems like you have to use multiple cities to get certain things going, unlike in 2, 3, and 4 where you could just be self contained.

Also it has an always-connected DRM requirement for singleplayer, which I think is absolutely obscene. I will not be getting it until that form of DRM is removed (in other words at least 5 years).

Closed Thread