HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official-2013 World Juniors Thread - STARTS TODAY!

View Poll Results: Who's taking home gold
Canada 101 64.33%
USA 8 5.10%
Russia 22 14.01%
Finland 7 4.46%
Sweden 5 3.18%
Germany 1 0.64%
Switzerland 0 0%
Slovakia 1 0.64%
Czech Republic 0 0%
Latvia 12 7.64%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 07:46 PM
40oz

vCash: 500
How about that Barkov kid, he's 0.75 on the 60+ draws he's taken so far.

Old
12-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Aerchon

While I thought RNH was pathetic in the dot today as well, it should be noted that up until now he was doing very well. 60%+ I read somewhere. Mark Scheifele is a center and did not do much better in the dot today either.

I thought RNH had a good game today and still was the one of the best players on the ice. But. This was his worst game out of the last three. He really should of buried that open net chance as well.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:49 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
While I thought RNH was pathetic in the dot today as well, it should be noted that up until now he was doing very well. 60%+ I read somewhere. Mark Scheifele is a center and did not do much better in the dot today either.

I thought RNH had a good game today and still was the one of the best players on the ice. But. This was his worst game out of the last three. He really should of buried that open net chance as well.
He hit the crossbar. It's not like he blew it five feet wide.

Outside of the face offs he looked like the best skater on the ice to me. You can't reasonably ask for much more than that.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:59 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Nuge had some great takeaways on the forecheck setting up to some nice passes. If he was playing with Eberle and Hall he would have had 2/3 more apples against the US. Outside faceoffs, liked what I saw from him.

It was my first time seeing Seth Jones, so too small of a sample set, but didn't look very good against top talent guys.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:23 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

If Nuge got a goal instead of hitting the crossbar people would be singing a different tune. Kid's still great even if he's no good at faceoffs. He really needs new linemates for the PP and maybe Spott should have him on the halfboards instead of behind the net, USA closed in on him way too fast.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:06 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
If Nuge got a goal instead of hitting the crossbar people would be singing a different tune. Kid's still great even if he's no good at faceoffs. He really needs new linemates for the PP and maybe Spott should have him on the halfboards instead of behind the net, USA closed in on him way too fast.
He was still a game changer but I expect more out of him and I'm sure that he does as well that's what great players do.

12-31-2012, 01:37 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post

It was my first time seeing Seth Jones, so too small of a sample set, but didn't look very good against top talent guys.
The fact that Jones is even playing in the tournament is an accomplishment in itself. He has no business being a draft eligible player and arguably a top pairing defenceman at the WJC. I think USA is asking too much out of him.

Sure, it wasnt a great game for him but he's playing against forwards that should be in the NHL. He has been good all tournament and it's clear he has another level.

Between Mackinnon, Barkov and jones, I would argue that Jones is having the best tournament.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:43 AM
Everest

I think RNH has maybe played on international ice all of once before. As a 17 year old, yes?

For the most part I'm reserving judgment on his play because...to me...the tournament started vs USA. Everything prior to that was appetizers. Therefore we have ONE truly relevant game to examine at this point. And that in itself says a lot when you think about it. The tourney is already a week-ish gone by and (cruel reality) says: Don't give any credit for anything prior to game vs USA. Haha.

As for yesterday...

His faceoffs yesterday were terrible. But...faceoffs aren't a detail that determine JR level hockey nearly to the extent they do in the NHL. Just look at how much "puck time" he had without winning faceoffs. It really didnt hurt him or the team.

Could we have done better if he won 90% of his draws? Sure. But its not his thing (yet). I think he will (someday) get there.

In the meantime...I still think RNH is the best player in the tournament. And I also insist he is carrying his line...and for the matter...the entire team

Folks...this team is honestly not that great. I mean...they're good. And they might win it. But...other than RNH the only player who really jumped out and took the bull by the nuts yesterday was the young fella' Mackinnon. (a couple times) Other than that...its pretty much a cluster-hump arrangement of half assed pressure and your typically average coaching provided via a Garth Brooks doppleganger.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:47 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
The fact that Jones is even playing in the tournament is an accomplishment in itself. He has no business being a draft eligible player and arguably a top pairing defenceman at the WJC. I think USA is asking too much out of him.

Sure, it wasnt a great game for him but he's playing against forwards that should be in the NHL. He has been good all tournament and it's clear he has another level.

Between Mackinnon, Barkov and jones, I would argue that Jones is having the best tournament.
??

He was pretty poor against Russia and Canada. A ton of turnovers and some bad defensive reads. He has tremendous upside but as far as actual play goes, he hasn't been that great.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:47 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Really have to say I'm disappointed in Canada's play against the US. Constantly undisciplined, taking penalty after penalty, and then with the game on the line on a PK they overcommit for an offensive chance and then of course get scored against on the ensuing US counter rush. Classic stupidity and Canada deserved to lose this game at several points.
With all our best players this is really the best we can do against the US?

Without Subban we lose this game 5-2. Unacceptable.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:48 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
I think RNH has maybe played on international ice all of once before. As a 17 year old, yes?

For the most part I'm reserving judgment on his play because...to me...the tournament started vs USA. Everything prior to that was appetizers. Therefore we have ONE truly relevant game to examine at this point. And that in itself says a lot when you think about it. The tourney is already a week-ish gone by and (cruel reality) says: Don't give any credit for anything prior to game vs USA. Haha.

As for yesterday...

His faceoffs yesterday were terrible. But...faceoffs aren't a detail that determine JR level hockey nearly to the extent they do in the NHL. Just look at how much "puck time" he had without winning faceoffs. It really didnt hurt him or the team.

Could we have done better if he won 90% of his draws? Sure. But its not his thing (yet). I think he will (someday) get there.

In the meantime...I still think RNH is the best player in the tournament. And I also insist he is carrying his line...and for the matter...the entire team

Folks...this team is honestly not that great. I mean...they're good. And they might win it. But...other than RNH the only player who really jumped out and took the bull by the nuts yesterday was the young fella' Mackinnon. (a couple times) Other than that...its pretty much a cluster-hump arrangement of half assed pressure and your typically average coaching provided via a Garth Brooks doppleganger.
This. A thousand times this. The "This is the best Canadian world junior team since 2004/2005," stuff is nonsense. Nugent-Hopkins and Mackinnon stand head and shoulders above the rest of the team from a skill perspective.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:52 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Really have to say I'm disappointed in Canada's play against the US. Constantly undisciplined, taking penalty after penalty, and then with the game on the line on a PK they overcommit for an offensive chance and then of course get scored against on the ensuing US counter rush. Classic stupidity and Canada deserved to lose this game at several points.

And without Gibson, Canada would have won 7-5. I don't really see the point of going into hypothetical scenarios.

The only thing of concern in that game was Canada's PP really.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:59 AM
Everest

Quote:

On discipline...I would disagree with you. I saw guys trying (hard) not to take PIMS.

But I agree...we prolly should have lost the game. Or at least went to OT.

The team was (mistakenly) built to grind/hit/intimidate. And they're realizing now...its not gonna be permitted by officials here.

A lot of our fwds. are near a liablity level. Good strong N.A. players. But useless as teats on a boar on the big ice playing the euro game.

Personally...If I were coaching this squad...and lets be honest...I should be...

Id play the piss out of RNH today and tell my grinders to go ahead and grind.

Screw the PIMS.

If we want to have the best chance to win this tournament we need to try and force the refs to allow us to play it old school style. Were not gonna win playing "euro-hockey".

And if they insist on calling PIMS...

Lean on the tendy to PK.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:17 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
And without Gibson, Canada would have won 7-5. I don't really see the point of going into hypothetical scenarios.

The only thing of concern in that game was Canada's PP really.
I saw a different game in which we were down and dominated in the last 2 periods. We won one period and were badly outplayed in the rest. Only Subban was keeping us in it. Circus saves.

We're still the dominant hockey factory of the world. One would think we could put together a more commanding Junior squad than this. Very underwhelming looking club.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:21 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
On discipline...I would disagree with you. I saw guys trying (hard) not to take PIMS.

But I agree...we prolly should have lost the game. Or at least went to OT.

The team was (mistakenly) built to grind/hit/intimidate. And they're realizing now...its not gonna be permitted by officials here.

A lot of our fwds. are near a liablity level. Good strong N.A. players. But useless as teats on a boar on the big ice playing the euro game.

Personally...If I were coaching this squad...and lets be honest...I should be...

Id play the piss out of RNH today and tell my grinders to go ahead and grind.

Screw the PIMS.

If we want to have the best chance to win this tournament we need to try and force the refs to allow us to play it old school style. Were not gonna win playing "euro-hockey".

And if they insist on calling PIMS...

Lean on the tendy to PK.
Not sure I agree with taking penalties but yeah I see what you're saying with the type of lineup it is. Not sure how they wouldn't consider that this Russian tournament was going to be called much differently than a NA junior tourney. We've seen this movie before, we should be sending speek/skill to a Euro tourney. Not guys prone to taking penalties and that need to be physical to have any impact.

From the word go the officiating was going to be a problem for this squad. But not unpredictable.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:24 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Not sure I agree with taking penalties but yeah I see what you're saying with the type of lineup it is. Not sure how they wouldn't consider that this Russian tournament was going to be called much differently than a NA junior tourney. We've seen this movie before, we should be sending speek/skill to a Euro tourney. Not guys prone to taking penalties and that need to be physical to have any impact.

From the word go the officiating was going to be a problem for this squad. But not unpredictable.
Agreed. Canada's usually built to break other teams though... At least, as far as I can remember. We build it more like an NHL squad, which doesn't always pay off...

I still feel they're playing MacKinnon ineffectively. There was that comment earlier, Mackinnon, Jones, and Barkov, and Jones shining the most.
I disagree, I think Droin should be included in non-draft players and he's been everywhere, and I think Mackinnon's looked very good too. He's getting pretty limited minutes.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:39 AM
McClelland

7 votes for Finland to win the cup!? Today sweden took them out of the tournament 7-4. Sweden could be a ugly surprise for either russia or canada in the semifinal without zinebejad,Brodin,lindholm and our Klefbom. Organized teamwork is the key here!

Old
12-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Everest

I wonder what the chances are of CZE knocking off USA are? Assuming CZE starts Bartosak in net for this one...worth noting Bartosak was arguably the best goalie in the WHL when he left the Rebels a couple weeks ago & he's followed through with a good tourney thus far.

Upset material maybe.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:35 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
I saw a different game in which we were down and dominated in the last 2 periods. We won one period and were badly outplayed in the rest. Only Subban was keeping us in it. Circus saves.

We're still the dominant hockey factory of the world. One would think we could put together a more commanding Junior squad than this. Very underwhelming looking club.
It should have been 4 or 5 nothing for Canada in the first 15 minutes if Gibson didn't start standing on his head after letting in the first two.

USA Dmen, including potential first overall Seth Jones, were coughing the puck up left right and center. Not as lop sided as you're making it out to be. Granted, I didn't watch the 3rd period, but it couldn't have been tilted that much. Gibson was player of the game IMO.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:36 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I haven't watched the Czechs play yet. How has Musil's tourny been ?

Old
12-31-2012, 01:38 PM
scid14

Why does everything have to be so underwhelming this tournament

Old
01-02-2013, 04:36 AM
40oz

Don't know if I'd rather see Canada play US or the Czechs.

US up 1-0 after 15 min, goal by Gaudreau on a 5-3

Old
01-02-2013, 04:54 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Horrid officiating.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:41 AM
Paralyzer008

David Musil will win a lot of hockey pools with those PIM numbers

Old
01-02-2013, 05:44 AM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Trouba is gonna be a damn good NHLer, pretty complete player.

EDIT: And here's his cannon shot right after I say that...

Last edited by enthropi: 01-02-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Closed Thread