HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salary cap, injuries cloud Flyers' off-season picture

Old
06-04-2006, 01:42 PM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Salary cap, injuries cloud Flyers' off-season picture

Quote:
While this NHL season has yet to end, the Flyers are already thinking ahead to the fall, with a number of important decisions to make.

A lot has to do with the salary cap, which is expected to go up by as much as $7 million from this year's $39 million.

The Flyers only have about $30 million tied up in the 15 or so players already under contract. But general manager Bob Clarke knows he still has to sign restricted free agents Simon Gagne, Joni Pitkanen, Antero Niittymaki and R.J. Umberger.

Gagne, a 47-goal scorer last season, could command as much as a 100 percent raise, which would push his salary to $4 million. Tack on at least another $4 million for the other three RFAs, and the payroll jumps in a hurry.
Read the rest here: Philly Burbs

swflyers8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
To put it frank, the cap doesn't mean **** until the season starts. The Flyers can sign all our key players and worry later about fitting under the cap. And since Foppa's going to be missing extensive time because of his surgery, Clarke has that much more time to get out of it.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 08:10 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I can't believe that they're actually going to retain the services of Desjardins. They must be thinking of making him a player coach or something because there's no way he's a top 4 anymore. He was badly exposed in the playoffs. I'd actually like to see him be groomed as a coach though because I think Desjardins could be a real good one.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 09:36 PM
daynus

I agree 100%.

That is a very good point. I'd rather see KJ back and see us promote Picard. I think we will also be able to move Hatcher, there is some interest.(hopefully enough)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
I can't believe that they're actually going to retain the services of Desjardins. They must be thinking of making him a player coach or something because there's no way he's a top 4 anymore. He was badly exposed in the playoffs. I'd actually like to see him be groomed as a coach though because I think Desjardins could be a real good one.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Save our money by letting Desjardins walk and use it to keep KJ.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Jester

Quote:
theoretically the top 4 next year will be KJ, Pitkanen, Rathje, and probably Hatcher (paired with KJ)... i think that's a fine top 4. then you have Meyer, Gauthier, and Desjardins... i think Picard is better off playing every night in the AHL next year. with injuries and whatnot, Desjardins is a very good option to be part of the bottom three rotation and in spurts is definitely capable of top 4 production, his body just doesn't hold up anymore...

he was playing on a bum hip in the playoffs... it's no shock that he had problems.

Clarke has to do what's necessary to keep KJ around i think.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 01:02 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Save our money by letting Desjardins walk and use it to keep KJ.
i would bet Desjardins will sign a pretty cheap deal to stay here.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 01:39 AM
BloodOnTheIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
theoretically the top 4 next year will be KJ, Pitkanen, Rathje, and probably Hatcher (paired with KJ)... i think that's a fine top 4. then you have Meyer, Gauthier, and Desjardins... i think Picard is better off playing every night in the AHL next year. with injuries and whatnot, Desjardins is a very good option to be part of the bottom three rotation and in spurts is definitely capable of top 4 production, his body just doesn't hold up anymore...

he was playing on a bum hip in the playoffs... it's no shock that he had problems.

Clarke has to do what's necessary to keep KJ around i think.
a bum hip that he declined to get fixed. IF he could be healthy I might agree with him at league minimum as a 6th d-man. But he won't make a season. He didn't get it operated on, and it will appear again. That worrys me. I am sick and tired of being mid-season worrying about our d-mens' health.

We are going to be stuck with Rats and Hatch. they are already a liability.
If we resign KJ, well another pop to the melon and that could be it.

I like KJ, but I think I let him walk if I can get a Kubina or sorts. Then find a six hole dman, and let Rico walk too.

we'll see how it plays, but I am nervous

BloodOnTheIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
i would bet Desjardins will sign a pretty cheap deal to stay here.
I have no doubt that's what will happen. But from my point of view, a minimum salary is too much for him. He just doesn't look good enough to play in this league anymore, and we have enough problems on defense as it is. He's the one problem that we have a real chance at getting rid of in the off-season.

Old
06-05-2006, 05:53 PM
i am dave

I'd rather have Desjardins as a 7th than Therien.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 05:56 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
I have no doubt that's what will happen. But from my point of view, a minimum salary is too much for him. He just doesn't look good enough to play in this league anymore, and we have enough problems on defense as it is. He's the one problem that we have a real chance at getting rid of in the off-season.
i think he could be effective in a 7th fill-in defensemen, and starting to shift into a mentor role perhaps moving into management soon

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitkanenPower
I'd rather have Desjardins as a 7th than Therien.
I really doubt Bundy is coming back.

And yeah, maybe he'd be good as the 7th guy, but this team always seems to suffer bad injuries on defense - he'll end up playing a prominant role again and that can't be.

Old
06-07-2006, 09:53 PM
mikedifr

I dont think this team can afford to have Hatcher, Rathje and Desjardins in the top 6. At least one needs to be either let go or moved. Desjardins was TERRIBLE in the playoffs. I dont mind keeping him around as a 6th/7th guy, if, and only if, we trade Hatcher.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote