HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears Thread #14 - Historic collapse complete, Lovie fired

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2012, 04:03 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
Obviously the players do as Peppers coming here had alot to do with Lovie being here.

Save the speeches for Mike Ditka who doesnt have a HC job anymore. The day of the "firey head coach" went out with gangsta rap. Doesnt work anymore in this day and age of multi million are divas. Its funny that a cool, calm head coach who has done wonders with the limited talent he has had is now suddenly on the firing squad when there isnt a respectable coach who could have done more with what Lovie had.

Its Cub syndrome. The first thing to do is point blame and try some grass roots rebellion in ousting somebody just for the sake of ousting somebody. Hasnt worked for them for over 100 years last time I checked and it wouldnt work now for the Bears.

Let me know when Lovie gets fired, because it isnt gonna be this year.
You whole first paragraph is about a wrong as anything written on the history of the internet.

First Firey head coaches are the thing of the past? Really, so Jim Harbaugh is a thing of the past and wouldn't work in todays NFL right? OPPS! Speaking of Harabaugh he took a team that went 6-10 the previous year and with very little roster changes the following year went 13-3. But Lovie can't win because he isn't given the best talent on the planet every year. If your HC needs All-Pros at every position to be a success then he is a waste, a good coach can win without the most talent as we have seen. Lovies shortcomings are his own and can't be blamed on everyone else.

Wonders with limited talent? The Bears have been one of the more talented teams in the NFL for the last decade, don't start acting like the Bears are the Raiders or Browns because they aren't. Many teams would trade roster for roster with the Bears today, more then half for sure so please don't play the limited talent card.

Success by whose standards? Most fans would not call the last 5 years successful by any stretch, and if you do then congrats on being a fan of the Packers or Lions because no Bears fan sees 5 years without a play-off appearance as successful.

Cub syndrome, great seeing as myself and other people who wan't Lovie fired aren't Cubs fans that analogy goes right out the window.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:16 AM
Sarava

I think Emery has to either fire Lovie Smith or give him an extension. You don't want him being a lame-duck coach heading in to next year.

And they also need to replace the offensive staff, whether Lovie stays or goes. As has been said, you won't be able to bring in good coaches if they think the head coach will get axed a year later.

That's just how I see it. I say either fire Lovie or give him a 3 year extension and commit to him. Personally I can live with it either way - I see the arguments from both sides....but you can't let it continue to hang by threads. If Emery doesn't believe in Lovie enough to give him an extension, then he should fire him.

Then replace the whole offensive coaching staff, with Emery in charge of those hires (unless he fires Lovie, then the new head coach can do it).

As for Emery - I think he had a good off-season last year, but he needs to have a better one this summer. I like that he brought in a franchise wide receiver. Jeffery also looks like a keeper. Now it's time to build on last summer's moves. The priority has to be to fix the offensive line. Whatever the case may be - between how he handles the o-line and how he deals with the Lovie Smith situation - I think we're finally going to know what we have in Phil Emery.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:10 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I think Emery has to either fire Lovie Smith or give him an extension. You don't want him being a lame-duck coach heading in to next year.

And they also need to replace the offensive staff, whether Lovie stays or goes. As has been said, you won't be able to bring in good coaches if they think the head coach will get axed a year later.

That's just how I see it. I say either fire Lovie or give him a 3 year extension and commit to him. Personally I can live with it either way - I see the arguments from both sides....but you can't let it continue to hang by threads. If Emery doesn't believe in Lovie enough to give him an extension, then he should fire him.

Then replace the whole offensive coaching staff, with Emery in charge of those hires (unless he fires Lovie, then the new head coach can do it).

As for Emery - I think he had a good off-season last year, but he needs to have a better one this summer. I like that he brought in a franchise wide receiver. Jeffery also looks like a keeper. Now it's time to build on last summer's moves. The priority has to be to fix the offensive line. Whatever the case may be - between how he handles the o-line and how he deals with the Lovie Smith situation - I think we're finally going to know what we have in Phil Emery.
That's a nice sediment but worthless in the NFL, doesn't matter how long your contract is your only as safe as your previous years record.

Sure Emery could give Lovie 3 years and say he is my guy, if the Bears go 7-9 or worse next year Lovie doesn't finish out that contract. Last year it looked like Jim Schwartz was the guy in Detroit, now his job is in jeopardy. 2 years ago if I told you Andy Reid would be fired later in the afternoon of the last game of the season you'd have called me an idiot and now look.

Lovie as with every coach is safe if he wins, this team hasn't done much of that lately and not matter the deal if this team doesn't go 9-7 or better Lovie is likely out of a job.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:20 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
That's a nice sediment but worthless in the NFL, doesn't matter how long your contract is your only as safe as your previous years record.

Sure Emery could give Lovie 3 years and say he is my guy, if the Bears go 7-9 or worse next year Lovie doesn't finish out that contract. Last year it looked like Jim Schwartz was the guy in Detroit, now his job is in jeopardy. 2 years ago if I told you Andy Reid would be fired later in the afternoon of the last game of the season you'd have called me an idiot and now look.

Lovie as with every coach is safe if he wins, this team hasn't done much of that lately and not matter the deal if this team doesn't go 9-7 or better Lovie is likely out of a job.
I think the point just wizzed right by you. Nobody is saying he would be guaranteed anything more than any other coach has in the NFL.

All I'm saying is if you commit to him, an assistant doesn't need to be worried he will be axed a year later any more than in any other situation he could take an assistant job at. Yes there is a risk for an assistant who takes the job - but if it's no more risk than any other job, then it becomes a non issue in regards to them coming here or not.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:29 AM
ndgt10

It's playoffs or bust next year for Lovie.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:00 AM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
You whole first paragraph is about a wrong as anything written on the history of the internet.
Not so fast. Lets not forget how Lovie Smith is a coach players want to play for and was one of the main reasons Peppers chose the Bears over anybody else.
Quote:
First Firey head coaches are the thing of the past? Really, so Jim Harbaugh is a thing of the past and wouldn't work in todays NFL right? OPPS!
Woah, so Harbaugh is now a "firey" head coach? Last time I checked, he was an obnoxious cheerleading jock who got over zealous one day and slapped another head coach a little too hard like an immature child. Last time I checked, being an immature dolt doesnt suddenly turn somebody into Chuck Knoll, but thats just me. If your idea of a fiery head coach is ranting on in interviews and going thru the media to air your teams shortcomings then Ill just take the guy who has a bit more dignity and class and keeps team things where it belongs, in the dressing room. Yeah, and so will the Bears, it seems.
Quote:
Speaking of Harabaugh he took a team that went 6-10 the previous year and with very little roster changes the following year went 13-3.
Wait, whut? He reshaped the roster and brought in over 20 new faces with only one, count em, one that went to the practice squad. I mean, you did know this, correct?
Quote:
But Lovie can't win because he isn't given the best talent on the planet every year. If your HC needs All-Pros at every position to be a success then he is a waste, a good coach can win without the most talent as we have seen. Lovies shortcomings are his own and can't be blamed on everyone else.
Lovie cant win because he has a horrible offensive line that couldnt stop a group of eldery nuns on a blitz. He also lost out on the pitiful drafting by Angelo of two offensive line man who were either injured before they were drafted and still drafted by Angelo or a complete bust in Carimi who will never amount to even a decent back up.
Quote:
Wonders with limited talent? The Bears have been one of the more talented teams in the NFL for the last decade, don't start acting like the Bears are the Raiders or Browns because they aren't.
Huh? How many here are griping about one playoff in how many years and then somebody, you, wants to say just how talented the Bears are? Did I even read that right? The Bears ARE the Raiders and Browns with the exception that they just dont stink up the schedule each and every year and play good enough to get themselves out of the top ten in the draft then allowed Angelo to throw a dart at the board and magicly fall in love with another notch in his belt of busts.

One playoff in how many years...where is this talent, again?
Quote:
Many teams would trade roster for roster with the Bears today, more then half for sure so please don't play the limited talent card.
Speculation aside, it means nothing considering something so drastic would never happen. And the only team I would even fathom such an extreme make over would be the Lions only because they suck significantly.
Quote:
Success by whose standards? Most fans would not call the last 5 years successful by any stretch, and if you do then congrats on being a fan of the Packers or Lions because no Bears fan sees 5 years without a play-off appearance as successful.
Wait, didnt you just say how talented the Bears have been? Oh, its all Lovies fault, gotcha. The fact that he still wants to be here after going thru the motions watching draft after draft fail by the hands of Angelo only makes me want the guy to stay here for another decade. But then again, Angelo thankfully got turfed while Lovie is still here. There has to be a reason for it, amirite?
Quote:
Cub syndrome, great seeing as myself and other people who wan't Lovie fired aren't Cubs fans that analogy goes right out the window.
Ok.

Would you be ok with the Hawks hiring Keenan or a Sutter if Q, with his limited talent, stinks up the ice?

Old
12-31-2012, 09:32 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
That's a nice sediment

A real beauty.

As for Lovie, I want an offensive coach now. If you have to bring Lovie back, it has to be a lame duck scenario with the same staff. Giving him an extension coming off 1 trip to the playoffs in 6 years is ridiculous. It's time to just get rid of him now. If we did bring him back and the team made the playoffs, he'd rake us over the coals for more money. He's done it before.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

fire Smith

we know what we get and we will not win in the POs with him or against the good teams.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
fire Smith

we know what we get and we will not win in the POs with him or against the good teams.
Like in 2006 with Rex Grossman as the QB.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:31 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
Like in 2006 with Rex Grossman as the QB.
Lovie and Rex can do the Macarena and reminisce about 2006. It's time for the Bears to move on though.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:42 AM
RayP

Via Ian Rapoport on Twitter;

Quote:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport hears "it's not looking good" for Lovie Smith's chances of staying on as Bears head coach after missing playoffs.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Illinihockey

Adam Shefter tweets the Bears have sent out consent forms to interview head coaches. Lovie gone

Old
12-31-2012, 10:46 AM
digdug41982

That's what I'm talking about, great job Emery, love that guy!

Old
12-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Illinihockey

Lovie has been fired per NFL Network

Old
12-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Illinihockey

Kyle Shannahan is the guy I want

Old
12-31-2012, 10:51 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Kyle Shannahan is the guy I want
Any specific reason why?

Thoughts on Chip Kelley?

Old
12-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Any specific reason why?

Thoughts on Chip Kelley?
Great pedigree, innovative offensive mind, young hungry coach

I don't want a college guy with a gimmick offense. More often than not, college coaches flop badly.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:55 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Great pedigree, innovative offensive mind, young hungry coach

I don't want a college guy with a gimmick offense. More often than not, college coaches flop badly.
He's be fine with me.

And I agree with the college coach thing. Hell, even Saban struggled in Miami.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Illinihockey

In the past year or so, my college basketball and football coach has been fired, my NFL team has fired its GM and coach, and my baseball team has fired its GM and coach....thats a lot of bad.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:00 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Lovie won't be unemployed long. Him and Reid will have jobs by February.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:04 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Lovie is gone for sure? I figured those turnover numbers would be enough to keep him around another year. He'll find another job in a heartbeat.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Lovie is gone for sure? I figured those turnover numbers would be enough to keep him around another year. He'll find another job in a heartbeat.
Yes, he's gone.

Can we hire him as our defensive coordinator?

Old
12-31-2012, 11:09 AM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
That's what I'm talking about, great job Emery, love that guy!
You won't be saying that if he hires so bum that turns out worse than Lovie Smith.

Is Rod Marinelli still with Chicago?

Old
12-31-2012, 11:11 AM
digdug41982

I want an offensive minded coach who will bring in a strong, experienced staff and a defensive coordinator who will run a 3-4. Then come the major roster changes. I'm sick of "Bears football"

Old
12-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Illinihockey

4-3 or 3-4 doesn't matter to me. Just want a head coach that can make our offense work.

Closed Thread