HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 31 • United States 9, Slovakia 3

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 11:42 PM
Fulcrum

vCash: 500
This is the one game that has upset written all over it. I wouldn't be very surprised if Svk pulls this one out. The question is, did they peak against Russia and Canada or do they still have some gas in those tanks?

Old
12-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Ugh. You're predicting a win for Slovakia, but if the US wins it's because Slovakia is tired from playing Germany? The excuses are flying early, aren't they?
Why excuses? I was simply explaining my alternate prediction of a blow-out.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:24 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
One-goal difference means nothing, I think. It's not enough to discourage Slovaks, even if it's an early goal. Two or three early goals, or a 2-3 goal differential at any point in the game, might break their stamina, however, so that additional goals might then come easily for the US.
The Americans are mentally frustrated right now. An early goal would get their shooters to relax, not over handle the puck, not overpass, not try to be too cute and get their confidence going. If they come out and hit the Slovak crest on your goalie a 100 times in the first ten minutes then one has to wonder what the American teams mentality is going to be.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:36 AM
Dynamo81

5-2 USA, Slovakia's game does not match up well with the USA.

I like this Slovak side, big fan of Dano and Mikus who play in the KHL. Just think the way they play will allow the USA to have it pretty easy.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:42 AM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

Slovakia is tired, no doubt about it. They have battled their butts off and are a heck of a team. I expect a tight game as pride and passion will be flowing for both sides. The US should win this, but should and did are always two different things.

Hopefully some of our sleeping giants wake up and put this game away at the 15 minute mark of the first period...if not, my kids will hear a lot of swearing in the morning.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:50 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Erm, what? It's the other way round, of course. The US team has 4.5 hours more rest than Slovakia.
Yeah, you're right, I meant to write it the other way around like you said, but it came out wrong for some reason or another And for the record, I do hope Slovakia wins the game, but if they won't, it'll be because they're not as good of a team as the US are and nothing else.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:54 AM
PhilaFlyers

3-0 USA. Thinking Gaudreau scores 2, Jones with the other

U-S-A

Old
12-31-2012, 01:19 AM
Xokkeu

What's the situation with kid that went off on a stretcher during the Canada game v

Old
12-31-2012, 01:38 AM
Chara-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
What's the situation with kid that went off on a stretcher during the Canada game v
Mild concussion. Should be fine after 2-3 weeks.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:49 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Pretty nervous going into this one, the Slovaks do a great job of plugging up the middle something both Canada and Russia did very well to the Americans. The Canadians found a way to find seems and force their way inside. We will need to find the tough areas a lot more to find the win. I am pretty confident at this point we are the fastest team in the tournament, but it doesn't mean a lot if you continue to get forced outside.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:50 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
What's the situation with kid that went off on a stretcher during the Canada game
In an interview published today, Luža said he'd like to start skating again in a few days, so it's not entirely ruled out he might yet get to play in this tourney, although it's very unlikely. Unlucky season for him so far, being Slovan's healthy scratch in the KHL for most of the season (2 KHL games played so far, 17 minutes in total), and now this.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:57 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Am I right in assuming none of the Americans got anything on top of the two and ten penalties during their meltdown late in the game yesterday? Hartman is the only one I could see getting more even by IIHF standards. Are they all good to go?

Old
12-31-2012, 02:00 AM
Xokkeu

Glad to hear he's relatively okay.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:01 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
In an intervew published today, Luža said he'd like to start skating again in a few days, so it's not entirely ruled out he might yet get to play in this tourney, although it's very unlikely. Unlucky season for him so far, being Slovan's healthy scratch in the KHL for most of the season (2 KHL games played so far, 17 minutes in total), and now this.
Well he has played 11 games with HK Orange 20, according to eliteprospects. But why would Slovan keep a young kid like that in the press box, send him down the Orange 20 if he is not going to play, down there he'd play big minutes.

On the game tonight, Dano and Mikus will need to step up again. Those are the guys that make this team go, but the Mraz's and Reway have been quite solid as well. Have been relatively impressed with Ceresnak on the blueline as well, but the big offensive stars, particularly on their dangerous PP and of course solid play by Nagy is the way they will win this game. The need get the Americans frustrated and taking penalties, much like the Canadians did for the first 35 minutes of their game. It's not likely, but I think the Slovaks can pull it off. Remember, most of these guys play on a team that is 2-18, when they get the scent of a win, hell just even playing field like this tournament (the Slovak U-20 team, HK Orange 20 plays in the Slovak Extraliga, the best domestic league) they clearly want the wins and don't know how to quit.

Would it ever be sweet if the Slovaks pulled this off and faced off against the Czech in the quarter, now that would be an INTENSE game.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:19 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Well he has played 11 games with HK Orange 20, according to eliteprospects. But why would Slovan keep a young kid like that in the press box, send him down the Orange 20 if he is not going to play, down there he'd play big minutes.

On the game tonight, Dano and Mikus will need to step up again. Those are the guys that make this team go, but the Mraz's and Reway have been quite solid as well. Have been relatively impressed with Ceresnak on the blueline as well, but the big offensive stars, particularly on their dangerous PP and of course solid play by Nagy is the way they will win this game. The need get the Americans frustrated and taking penalties, much like the Canadians did for the first 35 minutes of their game. It's not likely, but I think the Slovaks can pull it off. Remember, most of these guys play on a team that is 2-18, when they get the scent of a win, hell just even playing field like this tournament (the Slovak U-20 team, HK Orange 20 plays in the Slovak Extraliga, the best domestic league) they clearly want the wins and don't know how to quit.

Would it ever be sweet if the Slovaks pulled this off and faced off against the Czech in the quarter, now that would be an INTENSE game.
The US team took two penalties in the first two periods of the game against Canada.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:26 AM
Nash

This should be a win for USA. Although, the counter attacking Slovaks are not a good team to turn over the puck to. I hope Jones isn't jittery with the puck today. USA has to score early. The longer the game stays close, the more I could see USA gripping their sticks and making errors, which will feed into the Slovak's game plan.

Is Housely making any changes to the lines today? One thing I would like to see him address is to have Jones fire off his one timer in a little deeper. He was shooting from the blue line on the boards against Canada. It is totally ineffective. He needs to move in to where Yarullin has been bombing the puck from.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:33 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I understand the rivalry factor but I can't help but notice that assuming all goes according to plan today for team Canada that would be the quarterfinal that dumps into your next game. Might that also be a factor for you rooting for that.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:34 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Is Housely making any changes to the lines today? One thing I would like to see him address is to have Jones fire off his one timer in a little deeper. He was shooting from the blue line on the boards against Canada. It is totally ineffective. He needs to move in to where Yarullin has been bombing the puck from.
I really wish the penalties didn't start not only because they killed a big period of time to help the comeback. But finally after weeks of asking for it McCabe and Jones were out there together. I hope to see a lot of that today. Reilly has played well, but I still believe that is a much more balanced pair and will produce the best results.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:40 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I just drank a Frappuccino and almost feel like yawning .

Old
12-31-2012, 03:01 AM
LetsGoFlyers1825

vCash: 50
Finally bit the bullet and accepted that I would not be getting any sleep before the game

Old
12-31-2012, 03:03 AM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I really wish the penalties didn't start not only because they killed a big period of time to help the comeback. But finally after weeks of asking for it McCabe and Jones were out there together. I hope to see a lot of that today. Reilly has played well, but I still believe that is a much more balanced pair and will produce the best results.
The D overall have played pretty good. The concern for USA is up front.

Five goals over 3 games from the forwards isn't nearly good enough. A lot of players need to wake up today. This is where Housley needs to switch things up. That first line is horrible together. Miller isn't a center and he should be second or third line. Grimaldi is incredibly frustrating to watch. Lots of speed and tenacious, but totally ineffective. How many shots did he take from the corner yesterday? I'm still waiting to see if Gaudreau has anything to offer. It's not just bad that these three aren't going yet, it's that Housely is feeding them so many minutes. They are eating up a third of a game and producing nothing. It's desperation time today and I hope Phil does something different. Trying this configuration again could lead to a failure that really shouldn't happen. It would be a shame to see Gibson's great tournament wasted. He and Trouba are the stars of this team and deserve better. I'm not a Habs fan, but try Galchenyuk at center and give him more minutes. Something has to change.

Old
12-31-2012, 03:16 AM
AvsFan20
Bring back Downie

vCash: 125
Where are they streaming it online for free?

NHL.com?

Old
12-31-2012, 03:19 AM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

We play our game, we win. We just have to not suck offensively. It's that simple.

Old
12-31-2012, 03:30 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
The D overall have played pretty good. The concern for USA is up front.
I agree with this but I was a little encouraged that he was starting to make changes yesterday.

You will notice by the minuses that Gaudreau, Miller and Barber were out there for them. That means he did play Grimaldi with Gally yesterday. He did a little more line swapping than he has, just not enough. I am hoping that was the start of it that he realizes he needs to swap guys and will stick with it. I agree with Miller back out to wing, you can slide guys around after the faceoff, like how Paul Kariya basically played center for large portions of his career in the offensive zone.

The real truth though is there are only so many guys on this team that can unlock defenses. They need to show up today. I know Trocheck had a rough pre-tournament but he is also worth maybe bumping around in the order. He has at times created space in the zone and looked good on the rushes. Has offensive chops in the OHL and is comfortable in the middle. There are options, none are as good as the guys that are supposed to carry the offense actually showing up here in 30 minutes. I know that is just hope, but at the end of the day you have who you have at this point. You need to hope Gaudreau cashes in on breakaways and wideopen nets early in games. He has the ability he just hasn't done it. If they don't want to board a plane today some of these guys need to take a long look in the mirror and decide they are going to another level and dragging some of these guys with them.

To date Trouba and Gibson consistently have and at times both Gally and Jones are the only ones doing that.

Old
12-31-2012, 03:34 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
Finally bit the bullet and accepted that I would not be getting any sleep before the game
Me too.

Closed Thread